+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Shueisha wants to get rid of free online manga

Default Re: Shueisha wants to get rid of free online manga

Alot of these ideas sound great, but it wouldn't do any good to just keep listing what could be done without any sort of effort at trying to pitch the idea to Viz. What good would it do? Probably none. Could it hurt? Sure why not. Am I gonna do anything? Nah, haha.

And mangastream's translations are spotty, Viz... does a fine job at what they're doing. And so I keep buying what they release.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
    I wish I could subscribe to weekly jump. Or pick it up locally.

(more importantly, afford to import)
    I'm in the same boat here...

But i doubt this will be going anyway. Shame about raw paradise though...
    "Wasn't the Internet made for scanlations in the first place?"- Simon Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Knight View Post
    Alot of these ideas sound great, but it wouldn't do any good to just keep listing what could be done without any sort of effort at trying to pitch the idea to Viz. What good would it do? Probably none. Could it hurt? Sure why not. Am I gonna do anything? Nah, haha.

And mangastream's translations are spotty, Viz... does a fine job at what they're doing. And so I keep buying what they release.
    Then start an online petition.

That's a great idea, you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Knight View Post
    Actually, that's kindof a catch-22. Go to any random page of the Viz manga thread and you'll read about the censorship and spotty translations in the Viz manga too. ("Kami Eneru" comes to mind instantly)
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Viz does a fine job, and the scanlators don't?! Kami dammit, did someone just say that?! what would that gay crazy guy Bon Clay think of all this?!

Zolo

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

I always thought free online manga is what usually inspires people to go out and buy the Manga/anime, due to them becoming hooked.

E.g. Beelzebub.

I doubt I'd own half the collection I currently have if it wasn't for online scans. Its not like you can go approach stores with a hit and miss attitude in the hope your hard earned money will purchase something worth reading.

*reads*

And this is news how?

Haki must be magic. What could top that?

Sides, Viz Media isn't all that bad. The story is the same. Message is the same. Most of the names are there. I dunno. I don't really find it a completely flawed product. If it was, I would not be buying them... Unless I'm an idiot and the people that says it's crap are complete geniuses.
    Last edited by Hiroy; April 15th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

This is probably some ballsy-move because of the ACTA discussions, I'm surprised people are actually caring.

That said, I've been slandering Shueisha for years and while it's good to see people complain about it (finally) I'm annoyed it took people this long to start

I'm against the R1 industry and do not support legitimate release (and actively encourage piracy) but really, VIZ Media did not become the manga hegemon because of online manga. Actually, that's wrong, it did become the hegemon because of free access to the manga and providing people the opportunity to support series they like (ugh). This is a dumb idea for online scanslators and won't really do much but make things more inconvenient for a lot of people.

That said with the relatively cheap price of manga in Japan I'm surprised Shueisha is pulling a douche move like this...especially with record profits.

Nevermind, I'm not surprised, this is the same arrogance they've always waved around. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Sides, Viz Media isn't all that bad. The story is the same. Message is the same. Most of the names are there. I dunno. I don't really find it a completely flawed product. If it was, I would not be buying them... Unless I'm an idiot and the people that says it's crap are complete geniuses.
    It's not much better than a licensed scanslation.

Sure, people have high expectations, but the people VIZ Media hires make really noob mistakes that show an utterly lack of familiarity with the source material.

Years ago with the Ranma 1/2 translation, the translators actually read and enjoyed the manga first and knew what the heck they were doing. They were also manga fans and had a community to consult for the odd references. It takes a lot of creativity & skill to localize something without being flat out wrong in translation, something severel lacking in modern manga quality.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Actually, that's kindof a catch-22. Go to any random page of the Viz manga thread and you'll read about the censorship and spotty translations in the Viz manga too. ("Kami Eneru" comes to mind instantly)
    I'm just singling out mangastream though. No seriously, just compare any given chapter with one of cnet's scripts.

And Viz is good stop being a lamer. :T

They should have add a picture of a sad, sad Kishimoto touching his chest showing us that his soul is in pain.
    Learning the secret technique of the engrish, forgive me, grammar gods!!!

Moria's Current status:
    Spoiler:

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    They should have add a picture of a sad, sad Kishimoto touching his chest showing us that his soul is in pain.
    Don't forget that Kishimoto should be wearing mascara, and have that mascara run due to his delicious emo kid tears.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    Maybe he... hiperventilates???

I wonder how this will affect One Piece RAWs now :<

Honestly, I see very little changing, other than sites (such as Raw Paradise) freaking out and removing their data. Shueisha and other companies have been doing this for a while. It only seems to affect America if one of our companies requests the Scans be removed (Such as Dark Horse and Viz). Most people balk at having the Raws removed, since there's so much traffic of Raws that, like Greg and several others have mentioned, they have to practically beg people to submit to their will and remove them. If, on the other hand, Viz or another company catches wind, then more often than not, you see an instant change on most of the major scanlation sites. Funimation and Toei is even now trolling Youtube with a special program that detects any Anime openings or Episodes; if you've been looking for, say, Fairy Tail Openings, you won't find them unless they're upside down. Also, less tasteful series are disappearing altogether... Remember the big controversy over Kodomo no Jikan? Well, now, you can't find scans of KnJ anywhere anymore... the series has seemingly vanished. Hellsing has also been removed from the internet at Dark Horse's request. And so on, and so forth.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much. I read several series from Jump and other providers, but I'll often support the authors by buying the books. I'll even buy Shonen Jump every month in support of the authors and to see what new series I might be missing (that aren't mentioned here). All the online reading does is provide me with the latest chapters. If that disappears... well, I can always take the time to learn Japanese and import them, or just be a patient man and wait.

That said, nothing's really going to change, until the actual translator companies start taking action. And when that happens... well, there's always Manwha. And when that's gone... remember that book you so casually tossed in the corner? Pick that up and finish it.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I don't know how much load a server would need to allow every japanesse jump reader to read it online, I don't know how much does the supply line and printing line cost, but I'll guess that it is cheaper, in the end will get you more clients... and...
    I don't think hosting will be a problem, since many many manga sites do it every week, and onemanga has a HUGE backlog. This isn't video, it's just pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    People are being more picky in Viz' case, because they expect a higher standard for manga they have to pay for. In Enel's case, Kami is acceptable and understandable because people are stupid about god in this country (at this rate, in fifty or a hundred years we may breed radical christians who bomb others when they depict Jesus or God in art, just like radical Muslims do), and "Eneru" is Funimation's official translation (that's what wikipedia said anyway), which Viz is abiding by for continuity's sake.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; April 16th, 2010 at 03:28 AM.

my soul!i will go to the mangaka hell.

Quote Originally Posted by huron View Post
    my soul!i will go to the mangaka hell.
    Everyone on the internet is going to hell, if Big Business is to be believed. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Everyone on the internet is going to hell, if Big Business is to be believed. :P
    Imagine what kickass discussions we can have once we all end up down below. It'll be like a big Apforums reunion party.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information