+ Reply to Thread
Page 354 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254 304 344 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,061 to 7,080 of 7094

Thread: Disney animation thread

Default Re: Disney animation thread

^
    Even a fair amount of the "fresh" reviews seem a bit "meh" about the movie which is kinda funny; generally going "yeaaaaah...we know the cartoon is better but it was...Okay? *shrug*"

Judging from the first round of reviews it's a "love it or hate it" film.

My impression is from the clip and trailers only ...

It feels small. The scenery feels small. The scene where Aladdin rides an elephant feels small. I am big fan of large landscapes. Large palaces, enormous courtyards. But would likely require the use of CGI backgrounds though, so, dunno.

I want a new Prince of Persia, all alone in a large castle complex. Darker, grittier.

I like the Arabian Night version a lot. Just an overall great melody.

Saw the movie, it was decent, but damn can that girl sing....

If nothing else it seems like people are liking her.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    And a rap version of Friend Like Me for the credits:
    Spoiler:
    What's sad is I kinda like this. No, it would have been blasphemy to use it in place of the actual song, but for end credits? Sure, why not?

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Genie worked like 80% of the time for me, much more than I thought. Times he didn’twere Sometimes when he tried to capture Robin William’s energy and didn’t (but sometimes he got it) or certain hip hop spins on songs.

I like Nasim Perdad (new character that’s a handmaiden to the princess) and her comedy scenes worked, but her other side story I didn’t buy.

I bought the chemistry between the leads, and yeah Naomi Scott can sing. Her voice is great.

She has a song though that literally halts the movie that feels out of place. Good song and message and her character arc is good, but the song and resolution could be more tightly written.

Have a bunch of minor nitpicks here and there, but the biggest disconnect was Jafar lacking a presence, with a bunch of his iconic moments not in the film, and Iago not having a presence. Rewatching the animated version, didn’t realize how much of a presence Iago has in the Animated story.

It’s cute though. The extra scenes that stood out to me where Bollywood like with extended dance numbers which felt kinda out of place too, but they seemed harmless enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Rewatching the animated version, didn’t realize how much of a presence Iago has in the Animated story.
    Well he is voiced by Gilbert Gotfried who sticks out like a sore thumb in any role major or minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

They had me with that gorgeous first 10 seconds setup and then they hit modern day and lost me.
    Last edited by Robby; May 31st, 2019 at 03:06 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Come to think of it, hasn't Monsters Inc. already done the strange-creatures-living-in-modern-world thing? I mean, that movie worked because it explored the ideas of how a world like that might work and led to some creative visuals. But this movie just seems more like it's "Hey! Mythical creatures, but they're in suburbia! Funny, right?"

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait till more details come out.

Yup. Those are lions all right.

So full of personality and expression.

Or as someone on another site put it
    Hidden:

Wow, look at the characters expressions in this incredibly gripping scene. Simba has just lost his father, is wracked with guilt, and Scar comes in for the kill.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They had me with that gorgeous first 10 seconds setup and then they hit modern day and lost me.
    It's Dinosaur all over again.

I feel like this would be really fun as a short, not as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    https://am23.akamaized.net/tms/cnt/u...s-1200x675.jpg

Yup. Those are lions all right.

So full of personality and expression.

Or as someone on another site put it
    Hidden:
    https://scontent.fykz1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...f8&oe=5D60EDDE

Wow, look at the characters expressions in this incredibly gripping scene. Simba has just lost his father, is wracked with guilt, and Scar comes in for the kill.
    Lmao. Oh wow. Yeah I don't know why anyone thought a hyper realistic version of the Lion King would be worth making. Or was a good idea.

Pumbaa is freaking terrifying.

Also, its not even like its impossible to get realistic looking versions to emote, because you absolutely can as long as you cartoon them up even a tiny bit, have the eyebrows move a little more, have the ears be expressigive a bit more motion to the jaw. There'sbeen plenty of animated characters,2D and CG, that emote just fine. Having realistic fur and eyes shouldn't be a 100% obstacle to that.

Instead the emotion looks EXACTLY the same in every single shot.

EDIT:Oh wow I'm glad that posted at full size. Not going to tag that, it needs to be seen as is. There's gonna be people seeing THAT on IMAX.
    Last edited by Robby; May 31st, 2019 at 02:57 AM.

Seth Rogan as Pumba would be funny but . . . not like that.

BTW, FYI, etc.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Yup. That lack of expression is why I believe "live-action" Lion King is the only disney that doesn't make sense. Even Jungle book has Mowgli. I can see how real people can give a different than an animated movie but real animals don't have enough expression we humans register to make an engaging movie.

Saw Aladdin today and I'm a huge fan! Will Smith Genie was a success for me, and while he wasn't perfect a la Robin Williams, he more than justified his inclusion. Jasmine is twice the character she was in the original and I thought Speechless was great, even if I was disappointed that it didn't keep any of the musical motifs from the rest of the film. All of the actors were good, including Jafar. With the character we got, who was more compelling than the original for me, I think the performance and appearance of him made a lot more sense than the animated version. Yeah, the animated version is much scarier, but he didn't have any depth or accomplish anything beyond being evil. The only complaint I have is that One Jump was pretty cringy for being too close to the original. Some comedy gags only work animated. Prince Ali wasn't as good as the original, but still really good and compelling, while Friend Like Me, missing the Robin Williams voices, was somehow just as engaging. I definitely got my money's worth and would watch it again. I Much better than any of the other Disney live action Remakes.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Lmao. Oh wow. Yeah I don't know why anyone thought a hyper realistic version of the Lion King would be worth making. Or was a good idea.
    Because it's going to make a shitload of money and Beyonce/Gambino/JamesEarlJonesstillbeingalive

Oh, Robin. You are like no other.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information