+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2540

Thread: Star Wars Universe - Resurrection F

Default Re: Star Wars Universe - Resurrection F

I've had The Clone Wars (CG, not Tartakovsky) on as background for the last few weeks and have to say I'm a bit disappointed I missed out on all of it. Starts off very generic kiddy adventure and gradually morphs into some of the better Star Wars Universe-building since...well...the Zahn books?

Quote Originally Posted by Garaku View Post
    So I'm legit curious. What is it about the movie that broke it for most people?

Not just the usual complaint mind you, but like the thing that was "omg I can't even" for you.
    It's not just one thing. For my part at least, the movie was a veritable dogpiling of all the things I wanted them not to do:
    Spoiler:
    -Bringing back Palpatine
    -Negating the "Your parents were nobody" twist from the last movie because apparently you can't just be strong in the Force, you need to be related to someone who was also strong in the Force.
    -Having Ben Solo's final fate be exactly the same as Vader's
    -FOR THE FOURTH TIME having the climax involve destroying a superweapon that can blow up planets in a single shot... Oh, but this time there's like a THOUSAND of the things!!!!!!111

Also for being the supposed "GRAND FINALE TO THE ENTIRE SAGA", this movie was bizarrely lacking in closure. I mean, I always figured the endgame would be that Rey and/or a redeemed Ben Solo form a new Jedi order, one that has learned from the mistakes of the past and will not repeat them, but as the movie concludes, we're only left to assume that this probably happens later maybe? And then there was the whole "Finn has something he needs to tell Rey" thing that was introduced in this movie and given no payoff whatsoever, leading to JJ Abrams just telling us after the fact that it was apparently "I have the Force too"... which is something the movie only implies even though showing Finn to be Rey's first apprentice or something would clearly help mitigate my previous point that we're only left to assume that the Jedi will be reborn in some way...
    Last edited by Lord Starfish; January 2nd, 2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Though I doubt anyone reading this hasn't seen the movie yet, it occurs to me that everyone else was still using spoiler tags

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

They could've done something decent enough with the duality of Hux and Kylo as main villains.
    No need for a "Muhaha Villain" really.

Saw the movie. It had nice visuals. Lighting, dramatic compositions and cool set pieces. John Williams did good music as always even if there was nothing really new so it was all just remixes, but the man is 87 and he had nothing to work with so whatevs..

First time I've been bored with a Star Wars film though and not caught up in it even a little, and pondering on plot holes throughout (and not just afterward) and actively thinking "cripes, slow down and breathe for a moment." . The title crawl shouldn't have given away the plot, it should have been the mystery driving the film instead rather than what got accomplished in the first three minutes. The whole final confrontation boiled down to reaching that point ANYWAY so why squander all the reveals?

And Rose was done dirty. Every time random new girl was on screen I just felt "Ah, you're the reaction to the backlash that doesn't belong here."

It was a Star Wars. But it was... kinda eh. I get that Last Jedi was controversial, but all the potential it set up was just squandered.

Spoiler:
    Also, did you REALLY have to repond to the age old joke about Chewie and the medal? REALLY? Like, that's a freaking Family Guy joke there. We know, Luke and Han got one, and Chewie didn't for some reason. Don't call it out in-canon and squeeze ina scene to just randomly give him one with no emotional attachment or reason, just for the sake of giving him one.

Also, the only time I felt anything in the entire film was the brief moment when Chewie was grieving about Leia's death. THAT was real and genuine, at least partly because Carie has actually passed. Everything else... eh.

And who were they kidding with Threepio's "death" scene?

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    say what you will about the prequels, they were perfectly planned out and go from point A to point B to point C according to Lucas's ideas.
    No, they weren't. They really really weren't. Aside from the very broad through-line of "Vader has kids and becomes Vader, and the Emperor takes over". Someone could have outlined the same broad strokes for the prequels right after RotJ came out, and many did.

Lucas needed the films to start where AotC began in order to pace them properly, but he wanted young Anakin separated from his mother and you have to be *young* rather than a teenager for that to have any impact, so he squandered 2 hours of time on Jar Jar, Qui-Gon and young Anakin, and so there was no space to do the rest properly. RotS was basically trying to cram two movies into one to make up for lost time, and needed an entire tv series to fill in the holes to make it work.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the different camps now.

From what I'm hearing, the tldr of the people who didn't enjoy the film is too fast a pacing and too much back-peddling?

And yet for those who enjoyed it... found the above irrelevant?

I wonder maybe if it's a matter of investment into the trilogy. If anyone has more insight, please do correct me.

It's fine as popcorn if you just want cartoon spectacle and callbacks.

If you want an actual *movie* with characterization or plot, it doesn't really deliver there. As a standalone or as part of a trilogy.

It's not offensively *bad* like the worst of Star Wars, but its not *great* either. Good or passable is where it sits.

It's basically what you expect it to be after all the backlash of the second movie and the director of the third dropped out so they pulled back the director of the first movie, who made the worst ever Star Trek movie.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Spoiler:
    Also, did you REALLY have to repond to the age old joke about Chewie and the medal? REALLY? Like, that's a freaking Family Guy joke there. We know, Luke and Han got one, and Chewie didn't for some reason. Don't call it out in-canon and squeeze ina scene to just randomly give him one with no emotional attachment or reason, just for the sake of giving him one.

Also, the only time I felt anything in the entire film was the brief moment when Chewie was grieving about Leia's death. THAT was real and genuine, at least partly because Carie has actually passed. Everything else... eh.

Spoiler:
    What's funny about it, is that, canonically, Chewie did get a medal after ANH. He gave it to a little girl in a comic that released in like 2015. One of the first canon stories actually.

The scene was almost as dumb as Luke smiling at the camera after lifting the X-Wing out of the water. Just dumb, emotionless fan-pandering nostalgia.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    A good portion of Last Jedis score is explainable by review-bombing - i.e. deliberate mass targing the aggregated score by angry fans. If you look at other measurements, such as "exit polls" taken by audiences from the theatre -such as cinemascore - you will see that Last Jedi actually scored higher than Rise of Skywalker; an A vs a B+. Generally speaking, considering the hype of opening night audiences, less than A- is usually seen as a mild letdown (for comparison, Spies in disguise and Maleficent 2 scored higher than TROS, the new charlies angels and Playmobil the Movie scored similarly.)

https://www.cinemascore.com/

Theres also the fact that the IMDB score for Last Jedi is higher than Rise of Skywalker.

And the fact that both critics and fans liked Force Awakens on Rotten Tomatoes, and that the critics liked Solo MORE than the fans.

So no, as compelling as the narrative of "Critics are out of touch with fans!" is, I don't think it holds up.
    Jesus what's with all these Jerks and hating something because it has diversity!!

Black Panther and Captain Marvel get an insane amount of dislikes on Rotten Tomatoes because "Marvel's trying to hard to make things diverse" Really guys! 21 movies and two of them don't have a white male lead and that's too much!!! I honestly would like to see more diversity in Marvel to be honest, I can't wait for Shang Chi

and The actress who plays rose in Star wars the last jedi gets all these hate messages for no damn reason outside of people being mad that an Asian woman is getting screen time in a star wars movie

hell even movies I hated like the new Ghost Busters which was horrible, they threw to much shade at being an all female cast and were all so happy when it failed, but the female cast wasn't the goddamn problem, it was the gross out humor, bad writing and a complete lack of originality, you could have had the exact same movie with men and it would have been just as bad.... hell it probably would have been worse since at least all the main actresses were talented

And I feel like this complete hatred for anything outside of white male lead cinema is just gonna get worse

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You werent a fan of the Solo scene? It was probably my favorite. The Chewie moment is solid but I still remember how we had Leia hug Rey instead of Chewie when Han died so I was analysing instead of feeling.

First thing I thought was the medal joke and I spent a good momenf wondering why he got it. I only realized it's Han's mefal after the movie. The medal being a thing reminded me the dices in TLJ. If the emotional payoff of a gesture is buried that deep either dont put it in the movie or actually work at setting it up.

I just realized I didn't post my opinions about TROS:

Spoiler:

It was bad. How depressing coming off of The Last Jedi, the best Star Wars movie.

God awful pacing, never a moment to let things breathe, the stupid, awful twists, the lazy retconning of TLJ, the constant shoving in the face of Poe definitely not being gay, guys, really!, Finn's complete uselessness, Finn wanting to tell Rey he loved her right before dying, but he actually wanted to tell her he's force sensitive which definitely fit the way he acted about what he wanted to tell her (I'm not saying its bullshit about them saying he's Force sensitive, which was hinted at pretty heavily throughout this movie), Palpatine, Anakin's lightsaber, the fakeout deaths, the awkward implementation of Leia, Chewie getting a medal, Luke, Luke's smile at the camera after lifting the X-Wing.

But what really makes me angry is the way the bent over for the sexist shitbag Nazis and reduced Rose's role to less than 2 minutes of screentime. Way to do exactly what all the people that harassed Kellie Marie Tran wanted. The other stuff was just bad movie stuff (Well, maybe not the "No Homo" stuff with Poe), but this honestly kind of disgusted me. She should've just been travelling with Rey, Finn and Poe.

I liked some stuff such as Babu Frik and Rey getting a yellow Lightsaber, as it's my favorite color for a Lightsaber.

She should've gotten it much earlier in the movie, though. Anakin's should've never appeared.

Well I kinda enjoyed it. Because I lowered my expectations and detached myself. Not really that hard, though. Didn't really connect with either of the characters in this trilogy the way I did with originals. But the same applies to prequels. Neither Anakin, Obi Wan nor Padme were especially likable. It took Clone Wars to make decent protagonists out of them.

It's a visual and auditory spectacle, and it's worth it to see it in the cinema just for that.

But as far as I'm concerned, they messed it all up in the start, when they decided to copy/paste A New Hope, badly. You can't go from rebels vs empire to prequels explaining how it all originated and then reset it again like the original trilogy never happened. There's all kind of ways in which we could have gotten menacing villains even without empire. Evil rebels, jedi infighting, sith terrorists, new invaders... Come on. Entire fictional universe at disposal and you don't have the guts to try something new?

Anyways, I didn't like TFA, because it was an unimaginative reboot, with multiple inconsistencies. I liked TLJ because it was gutsy and mixed things up. But it made a real juicy mess of things. After 2 completely different episodes, it would be hard to make a satisfying conclusion. And I'd like to say it couldn't have been done better. But it really could have.

Spoiler:
    Bantering between characters is kinda fun, but it's all fast paced and inorganic. These people haven't been together all that long to be acting like old pals. It's a little forced, and it shows.

Rey is progressing like crazy, is extremely talented. Even a chosen one, an anomaly like Anakin couldn't do the half she does after years of training. And it's all because she's a Palpatine, but it wasn't foretold anywhere, so it seems detached from established universe. Surely someone, somewhere, sometime would have a vision. Especially when you add the fact she's connected to Ben, which is a pretty big deal. So, detached.

Involuntary force lightning destroying that transport was a little too much. And so was the fact Chewie was in a different transport nearby. That's such a cheap way to create suspense.

Knights of Ren? Wtf was that? Starting from Ben pimping his helmet. It looked silly and it served no practical purpose. The Knights are carrying meat cleavers and axes and I just don't buy that after being exposed to inquisitors with lightsabers and purge troops and regular fucking troopers with electrostaffs. They don't even get their time to shine, because that last fight with them, while Rey is fighting Palpatine's guards is some of the most uninspired action in all of Star Wars.

By the time they were both standing in front of old Sheev and he rejuvenated himself, I was half expecting him to pull out a lightsaber and start sommersaulting around like Yoda in Attack of the Clones. And was disappointed when he didn't! At that point I just wanted a cool overproduced lightsaber fight out of the movie and didn't care about consistency, because people in charge sure as hell don't.

Those star destroyers with their cannons... Sure, couple of decades ago it took an artifical moon to support such a destructive weapon. The scale of it is just too unconvincing to get a pass. But boy that scene with rebel ally ships coming en masse was really epic. Like wow.

Back to Rey vs gramps, why couldn't he just stop with the lightnings when he saw Rey was repelling them with those swords? Nobody's perfect, but also nobody who has survived so long is that stupid. Would have been better if he was beaten by joint effort. Then Ben depleting his life to revive Rey would be a lot more convincing.

Chewie receiving that medal in that manner was so cheesy. They should have done that sooner in the trilogy if they wanted to do it. This makes it seem like it was a last minute add on, done in a re-shoot or something. Another thing from that part of the film that felt silly was the two gay women kissing. Really takes you out of the movie for a second. We're talking about a character with a couple of lines and another character who we've never seen before. It's like 50% of the reason commander D'Acy even exists is to kiss with another woman. The whole scene felt forced and artificial. Personally, would have looked a lot better if they were shown kissing among other people greeting, hugging and celebrating. Is two women kissing a normal thing? Yes it is, for me anyway. And for the majority of the society. So why are you treating it as something special, when it's really not?

And yeah they can go fuck themselves with Palpatine sending his message mid movies on Fortnite. What kind of drug are these people on?

Might be back with more, but these are the things I remember the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

So people decided to dig up the previous script for episode IX. There are some promising bits but I donít think it would make such big difference.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f..._campaign=test

Can regular people see force ghost?

Sounds like another clusterfuck. Glad they didn't go there. Bad move or not, asspull Palpatine is still better than an asspull Ctulhu sith lord master who somehow isn't Plagueis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    So people decided to dig up the previous script for episode IX. There are some promising bits but I don’t think it would make such big difference.

It seems a little too good to be true, a little too hindsight "this corrects every major problem in the story and sounds way better" sort of way.

If it IS legit, then Abrams went out of his way to muck things up when there was a solid skeleton there already.

But then, Return of the Jedi's original plot beats all sound better overall than what we eventually got so....

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    So people decided to dig up the previous script for episode IX. There are some promising bits but I don’t think it would make such big difference.

If nothing else, I always found it unlikely that Colin script would have had the same Death Star plots, the exact same situation between Sidious and a potential ally, basically an exact replica to the ending of RoTJ, as Abrams would up doing.

This does sound more interesting. Would have liked to have seen Corrusant. The burned up Jedi Temple. Delved deeper into the idea of Rey and Ben being neither a Jedi or Sith. But I highly doubt it would have succeeded in justifying this trilogy's existence for me, or have been a better close to the Skywalker saga than RoTJ already was.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to this. Particularly Admiral Trench. Although...

>I wonder how big the Maul/Mandalore arc will be given that we've already gone ahead and seen Maul in Solo and Rebels. Back when the show seemed gone for good and Lucasfilm talked about its planned future story arcs, I didn't really understand why this arc was the planned finale of the series. Maybe it'll demonstrate a significance that I hadn't considered.
    >Of the unrealized story arcs that were revealed, I probably wanted to see the Dark Disciple arc the most. A shame it won't ever be animated, but understandable considering they already went and made it a novel.

Spoiler:

II think it's because Mandalore, Maul and Ahsoka are some of the most popular things from Clone Wars and the most long-running story arc of the show. Plus, it takes place during ROTS. You can even see pregnant Padme in the trailer. It'll be cool to see Order 66 happen with Rex and Ahsoka.

The arc I most wanted to see was the Boba Fett and Cad Bane arc. Cad Bane's one of my favorites from CW and it's been so long since he's been involved with anything.

Also, during the Jedi meeting you can see Depa Bilaba and a young Kanan/Caleb. I was hoping they'd give him a little cameo, so that made me happy.

Just discovered this

This time, she did the supposedly leaked script of the original episode 9: Duel of Fates.

I lost it when she referenced the first Spider-man film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information