+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2166

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I just found out this crazy animated series project by an indie argentinian animation studio.

https://www.catsuka.com/news/2019-06...in-bellolandia
    The Dead Leaves influence is strong with this one.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Yes please, more really different looking 2D animation. So much stuff looks so homogenized nowadays.
    Like what?

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Like what?
    Like most stuff on Cartoon Network.

Also most CG feature films.

Although yes, tbh this has always kind of been a problem.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Like most stuff on Cartoon Network.

Also most CG feature films.

Although yes, tbh this has always kind of been a problem.
    But like what most CN stuff? Most cartoons on CN have very different artstyles, including OK K.O. and Gumball: two of the most visually interesting cartoon series to come out of the west. On the rest of the lineup, what two shows really look alike? We Bare Bears and Teen Titans Go? Victor & Valentino and Summer Camp Island? I guess maybe you could make an argument about Steven Universe and Craig of the Creek, but the showrunners on Craig of the Creek literally worked Steven Universe as their previous job and the shows still look nothing alike. If you extend to adult swim, within the year we got both Tigtone and The Shivering Truth, which both have really standout unique styles. Ballmasterz 9009 didn't come out too long ago either.

On CG films, that's sort of a loaded category, since Pixar started the trend, Disney bought them and the two combined produce most modern CG animated film by volume. Even those have very different styles from film to film (not counting movies within a franchise and maybe the Disney Princess flicks). If you want big departures, though, recent history gave us the Lego Movies and of course Spiderverse. And this is all supposing CG films meant to look CG, and not including stuff like the Marvel films or the Jungle Book and upcoming Lion King, which all hinge on animation. And then the CG category ignores the continued existence of new 2D animated films like Cartoon Saloon's brilliant output like Breadwinner or new anime films like Lu Over the Wall. Not to mention that CG also excludes stop-motion films like Isle of Dogs or Missing Link. And the film category ignores 3D animated shows like Land of the Lustrous, which looks gorgeous in its own way.

All of these things are visually distinct, mostly unique and from within the last few years (Gumball goes back to 2008 I guess, but it's ongoing).

But like what most CN stuff? Most cartoons on CN have very different artstyles, including OK K.O. and Gumball: two of the most visually interesting cartoon series to come out of the west. On the rest of the lineup, what two shows really look alike? We Bare Bears and Teen Titans Go? Victor & Valentino and Summer Camp Island? I guess maybe you could make an argument about Steven Universe and Craig of the Creek, but the showrunners on Craig of the Creek literally worked Steven Universe as their previous job and the shows still look nothing alike. If you extend to adult swim, within the year we got both Tigtone and The Shivering Truth, which both have really standout unique styles. Ballmasterz 9009 didn't come out too long ago either.

On CG films, that's sort of a loaded category, since Pixar started the trend, Disney bought them and the two combined produce most modern CG animated film by volume. Even those have very different styles from film to film (not counting movies within a franchise and maybe the Disney Princess flicks). If you want big departures, though, recent history gave us the Lego Movies and of course Spiderverse. And this is all supposing CG films meant to look CG, and not including stuff like the Marvel films or the Jungle Book and upcoming Lion King, which all hinge on animation. And then the CG category ignores the continued existence of new 2D animated films like Cartoon Saloon's brilliant output like Breadwinner or new anime films like Lu Over the Wall. Not to mention that CG also excludes stop-motion films like Isle of Dogs or Missing Link. And the film category ignores 3D animated shows like Land of the Lustrous, which looks gorgeous in its own way.
    All of these things are visually distinct, mostly unique and from within the last few years (Gumball goes back to 2008 I guess, but it's ongoing).
    Honestly, most of the CN shows look cut from the same cloth to me. I pulled up the CN app the other night (unsuccessfully trying to watch the latest Steven Universe episodes), and it just struck me how much alike they all seem, not just in style and aesthetic, it's hard to explain exactly. I think every era has a particular aesthetic. I like that Gumball uses a mixture of different media but the actual character design never did anything for me. That's just a personal preference. I guess what's on CN is a lot more interesting than the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon right now. What IS Nick even showing now, I haven't turned it on in years.

I really want more stuff like Spiderverse, more stop motion, more efforts that just gets out of the idea of trying to look like the average Pixar movie. Into the Spiderverse was to me the most exciting thing I've seen in Animation ever.
    Take the Love, Death + Robots shorts. They were all pretty good, but most of the CGI stuff was boring stylistically, even if it was very well rendered.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Honestly, most of the CN shows look cut from the same cloth to me. I pulled up the CN app the other night (unsuccessfully trying to watch the latest Steven Universe episodes), and it just struck me how much alike they all seem, not just in style and aesthetic, it's hard to explain exactly. I think every era has a particular aesthetic. I like that Gumball uses a mixture of different media but the actual character design never did anything for me. That's just a personal preference. I guess what's on CN is a lot more interesting than the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon right now. What IS Nick even showing now, I haven't turned it on in years.

I really want more stuff like Spiderverse, more stop motion, more efforts that just gets out of the idea of trying to look like the average Pixar movie. Into the Spiderverse was to me the most exciting thing I've seen in Animation ever.
    Take the Love, Death + Robots shorts. They were all pretty good, but most of the CGI stuff was boring stylistically, even if it was very well rendered.
    You're looking for stuff that completely shifts paradigms and expecting it in higher volume from mainstream sources working with a lot of shared staff and within certain budgets. Student films and independent works have always provided really different-looking animation, and the amount out there for consumption has only increased over the years. And even in the mainstream, there's the adult swim stuff that I pointed out, which is pretty out there (especially Ballmasterz, which was a pretty mediocre show, but with a really cool and distinct art style). And even in the more mainstream mainstream, there's OK K.O., which continues to be such a fresh-looking show that often makes me laugh just with its animation. And those are just a couple examples. Right now, animation is doing pretty well.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Motorcity was a beautiful failure, it was.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

That's another good example! I like a lot of the show, but it was definitely hit or miss. Its unique artstyle, though, was definitely a hit. It also features a lot of good-looking and uniquely-styled CG elements!

When talking about CG shows I also completely blanked on Star Wars: Clone Wars, which is a popular series that has its own distinct 3D style.

A lot of people really disliked the Supermarionation inspired look of the Clone Wars back while it was airing.
    Complicating things since 2009.

People disliked Windwaker when it was released, too. A lot of these distinct art styles are niche because people often react that violently to very different-looking things. It's sort of a miracle that Spiderverse is held in as high public regard as it is. It boasts a kind of similar approach to character design as Clone Wars, with its use of big chunky angles everywhere.

People disliked Windwaker when it was released, too. A lot of these distinct art styles are niche because people often react that violently to very different-looking things. It's sort of a miracle that Spiderverse is held in as high public regard as it is. It boasts a kind of similar approach to character design as Clone Wars, with its use of big chunky angles everywhere.
    I remember lots of back and forth discussion on the six tails vs pain animation back when the Naruto thread was still called Pizza Boobs and 80's mangas..... Ahhh those were the good old days

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I remember lots of back and forth discussion on the six tails vs pain animation back when the Naruto thread was still called Pizza Boobs and 80's mangas..... Ahhh those were the good old days
    Thread date: August 2009

Whaaaa?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Whaaaa?
    Hmm, been lurking for quite some time, have we?

Whaaaa?
    Lol I was choperman before

I had my old password saved on my computer and then when I got a new computer I didn't remember it so I just created a new profile

You can pm one of the admins and they might be able to help you with that, long as you can verify your old email.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You can pm one of the admins and they might be able to help you with that, long as you can verify your old email.
    Thank you but it's fine, I like this user name better anyways, it's what all my friends call me in real life

Saw this trailer when I went to see Toy Story. For a moment, just a moment, I was getting excited for something that might be another Lilo and Stitch or HTTYD, but then there was a belching joke and then the blueberries in places joke and I just went "sigh...."

....actually the trailer I saw was different than this one. It had more groaners in it and showed more of the villains. This trailer is a bit stronger but also maybe gives away more? I think the entire movie is in that trailer.

Saw this trailer when I went to see Toy Story. For a moment, just a moment, I was getting excited for something that might be another Lilo and Stitch or HTTYD, but then there was a belching joke and then the blueberries in places joke and I just went "sigh...."
    At least you didn't get Arctic Dogs....did you?

Honestly, what is it with snow-themed animated films lately? ….Oh, right.

Trailer definitely shows too much. Chloe Bennet sounds a bit too old for this character. Overall. It's probably an okay movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

Honestly, what is it with snow-themed animated films lately? ….Oh, right.
    "Frozen made a billion dollars so obviously snow is popular! THAT'S the lesson we'll take away from that film's success!"

Have any of the yeti/sasquatch films even turned a profit? Also that looks a lot worse than either the surprisingly solid Smallfoot or Missing Link, which is at Laika's usual standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I did and it looks just relentlessly awful. What the hell is up with their mouths and teeth?
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information