Closed Thread
Page 77 of 500 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 10000

Thread: Dragonball Discussion

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

I like movie 11, because it focusses on characters who deserve their spotlight. Movie 8 bores me to tears with its bad plot and boring, one-sided fight.

El Sucio Sánchez SantoryuMaster97's Avatar

If Goten and Trunks fused it would have made for a more decent fight but the fact that Broly was covered in shit, looked like the lockness monster, and the fact that his powerlevel was probably cut in half due to that fact it made for a shitty movie.

Plus Broly was killed by the ocean.....The fucking ocean.
    Survivor of the Ivotas Holocaust!

XboxLive Gamertag: Big Evil99
    Addiction defines Gravity. Speed over addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I like movie 11, because it focusses on characters who deserve their spotlight. Movie 8 bores me to tears with its bad plot and boring, one-sided fight.
    Problem is that most of the focus was placed on Brolli being back, AGAIN, and his death being so damn anticlimactic. Also needed more of #18 fighting.

I'd say Carue was a Lucky Ducky | YouTube Page

Okay guys, I'll take your advice and not worry about the movies for now. It'll take some time to watch just Dragonball, not even counting Kai.

Now, you guys mentioned that the Dragonball dub is bad. Who dubbed it? FUNi? Should I watch it in Japanese? Because I was going to watch Kai in the dub to start off since I heard it is good.

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

It's hilarious how hyped idiot American fans got for Brolly when all they knew about him was poorly made action figures.
    This was like back before the Namek arc had finished airing.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    It's hilarious how hyped idiot American fans got for Brolly when all they knew about him was poorly made action figures.
    This was like back before the Namek arc had finished airing.
    Guilty, even had the action figure (though I was only ten IIRC) saw movie 8 and wondered how such a cool looking character could be in such a "meh" movie (same goes for Janemba and Hirudegarn) and I didn't bother to see Bio Broly because the case alone convinced me that it would suck, read the short plot summary at Suncoast, thought about the bio gimmick, saw the 24.99 price tag and put it down. I liked 1-3 and thought that the Lord Slug movie was pretty good, Cooler's revenge was decent but Cooler's Return was god aweful. A good portion of DB videos aren't worth the 45-60 mins it takes to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    Okay guys, I'll take your advice and not worry about the movies for now. It'll take some time to watch just Dragonball, not even counting Kai.

Now, you guys mentioned that the Dragonball dub is bad. Who dubbed it? FUNi? Should I watch it in Japanese? Because I was going to watch Kai in the dub to start off since I heard it is good.
    It's confusing, I know. FUNi's had the entire franchise since 1995 and has only now done an actual proper dub that resembles the original the closest, which is Kai.

DB, DBZ and DBGT are also confusingly dubbed in different ways, mostly due to how...inconsistent they are. For example, Dragon Ball was the only one of the three that used the original background music until they released their season sets of DBZ and DBGT. Not only this, but the music used for Z and GT are vastly different in the dubs. Granted, Z and GT were also scored by two different people in Japan, but they still retained the tones that worked with the series'.

In Z, you'll notice a lot of electric guitar and keyboard used, with plenty of synthesized tones. There's rarely a lack of silence, as well. The dub seemed to have a thing for giving everyone and everything a theme, rather than setting a mood that fit the scenes properly. The music in this dub has pretty much set off wars of all kinds. It's a love it or hate it kinda thing.

In GT, it sounds more like it's trying to appeal to the rap and hip-hop genre. Down to them changing what were aerobics dance instructors in the original into beat-boxing rappers in the dub. The music here is pretty much universally hated.

The scripts for the episodes are also radically different. DB was really the closest to a proper translation of one of the series' prior to Kai, as it seemed to try to tell the story while throwing in their own changes every now and then. Meanwhile, DBZ has had so many radical changes to even tiny pieces of detail that it's also lead to confusion due to canon material established in the original.

For example, you'll learn of certain people who will appear later on in the series. The Japanese term used for them is Jinzouningen, or Artificial Human, as it translates to. Right after the first mention of this word is used in the original, it is then stated that the beings in reference are Cyborgs. This means they're humans with machine parts within them (in their case, nanomachines flowing through their bloodstream to give them an endless supply of energy).

The dub, however, forgoes all of this and simply refers to them as Androids. This implies that they're machines made to look human. For an entire saga, we end up hearing all sorts of "jokes and cracks" at them to being toasters, buckets of bolts and so on. This also contradicts certain events that occur a saga later that calls them into question regarding their bodies.

DBZ's dub was also filled with a lot of dialogue changes that affected character personalities, which also affected the moods for certain scenes. At times, serious moods were killed due to someone trying to crack a joke or something.

GT had some of the same problems as Z, in terms of script changes in dialogue and material details.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukento View Post
    It's confusing, I know. FUNi's had the entire franchise since 1995 and has only now done an actual proper dub that resembles the original the closest, which is Kai.

DB, DBZ and DBGT are also confusingly dubbed in different ways, mostly due to how...inconsistent they are. For example, Dragon Ball was the only one of the three that used the original background music until they released their season sets of DBZ and DBGT. Not only this, but the music used for Z and GT are vastly different in the dubs. Granted, Z and GT were also scored by two different people in Japan, but they still retained the tones that worked with the series'.

In Z, you'll notice a lot of electric guitar and keyboard used, with plenty of synthesized tones. There's rarely a lack of silence, as well. The dub seemed to have a thing for giving everyone and everything a theme, rather than setting a mood that fit the scenes properly. The music in this dub has pretty much set off wars of all kinds. It's a love it or hate it kinda thing.

In GT, it sounds more like it's trying to appeal to the rap and hip-hop genre. Down to them changing what were aerobics dance instructors in the original into beat-boxing rappers in the dub. The music here is pretty much universally hated.

The scripts for the episodes are also radically different. DB was really the closest to a proper translation of one of the series' prior to Kai, as it seemed to try to tell the story while throwing in their own changes every now and then. Meanwhile, DBZ has had so many radical changes to even tiny pieces of detail that it's also lead to confusion due to canon material established in the original.

For example, you'll learn of certain people who will appear later on in the series. The Japanese term used for them is Jinzouningen, or Artificial Human, as it translates to. Right after the first mention of this word is used in the original, it is then stated that the beings in reference are Cyborgs. This means they're humans with machine parts within them (in their case, nanomachines flowing through their bloodstream to give them an endless supply of energy).

The dub, however, forgoes all of this and simply refers to them as Androids. This implies that they're machines made to look human. For an entire saga, we end up hearing all sorts of "jokes and cracks" at them to being toasters, buckets of bolts and so on. This also contradicts certain events that occur a saga later that calls them into question regarding their bodies.

DBZ's dub was also filled with a lot of dialogue changes that affected character personalities, which also affected the moods for certain scenes. At times, serious moods were killed due to someone trying to crack a joke or something.

GT had some of the same problems as Z, in terms of script changes in dialogue and material details.
    Thanks for the input. I've also heard from Rin as well about how much was changed for the DBZ dub, which is why I'm sticking to Kai.

As far as the actual voice acting goes, how is the overall quality for Dragonball, being an older series and all.

As mentioned before, FUNi dubbed the series' oddly.

We first got Dragon Ball in 1995. Originally, we only got 13 of the 153 episodes. Those 13 episodes were handled by FUNimation in every way except vocally, where they hired the Ocean Group to provide the voices.

When Dragon Ball didn't fair too well (only because no one knew it existed; it aired around 5:30am on Saturday mornings), they went straight to Dragon Ball Z. They used the Ocean Group for this as well for two seasons, which were a total of 53 episodes that were originally cut down from a total of 67 episodes. That series took off on syndication, but did not go further due to budget issues with FUNi. It went on Cartoon Network's Toonami and became a hit.

Starting with Season 3, FUNi went with their own dubbing crew. Eventually down the line, FUNi decided to redub the original 13 Dragon Ball episodes and actually continue dubbing from there while simultaneously dubbing Z.

The voice acting with FUNi's crew is actually fairly decent in DB when compared to DBZ. The characters seem to be pretty much in character without sound too different from how they do eventually in Z. Like I said, it was pretty much the closest to being the best dub for any of the DB series' that we had prior to Kai.

5:30 AM ?

Okay , there is no way in Hell I would wake up that early for a series regardless how awesome .

DBZKai Premieres on nicktoons today, no?

Yes, all week actually. There's gonna be 2 new episodes every night this entire week. But according to my tv guide, none next week.

Yeah! AWESOME!

Too bad that there are no episodes next week. But it was to be expected since they are going to premiere episodes in such a rapid fire fashion.

Kai premiers tonight, I'm pumped and scared at the same time...

I'm not gonna watch. I'd rather my first experience with the English dub of Kai not be edited.

I actually want to do side by side comparisons, sorta like the ol' DBZ Uncensored website from the ol' days.

Unfortunately, I don't have Nicktoons TV (don't even have Cartoon Network anymore since they fucking went digital). So I'm gonna have to try going for recordings if anyone happens to do them. :s

Just going back to what you were saying earlier Tsukento, but you reminded me of how stupid the android thing was, just made the whole entire 18 x Krillin thing weird and made a big wtf plothole regarding how they could have a child.

Actually, the 1995 dub of Dragon Ball was produced by BLT Productions and recorded at Dick and Rogers Sound Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    Yes, all week actually. There's gonna be 2 new episodes every night this entire week. But according to my tv guide, none next week.
    Your TV Guide is wrong. http://www.toonzone.net/schedule/index.php?seriesID=403
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!
    Julie | She/Her | Pansexual

Which was semi resolved .

And what exactly what stupid about it again ?

If this is brutally edited I will not be surprised but very disappointed...

Please NickToons do this right, you shouldn't have bought it if you were not going to go the distance with the uncut stuff. I understand there is limitations but I really want them to push the envelope with this...Show Me BLOOD!!!

Closed Thread

Thread Information