View Poll Results: What big Anime(s) did 4Kids actually do a good/decent job on? (if any)

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pokemon

24 70.59%
  • Yu-Gi-Oh

10 29.41%
  • Shaman King

8 23.53%
  • Mew Mew Power

3 8.82%
  • Sonic X

5 14.71%
  • Kirby: Right Back at Ya!

7 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are there any 4Kids Dubs that you actually watched and enjoyed? (If thats possible!)

Discovered Stowaway AnimeForever's Avatar

Default Are there any 4Kids Dubs that you actually watched and enjoyed? (If thats possible!)

I'm acutally really curious about how people are going to respond to this question ^.^!

Out of all of the big Animes (not including poor One Piece) that 4kids has dubbed...

Pokemon
    Yu-Gi-Oh
    Shaman King
    Mew Mew Power
    Sonic X
    Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
    Ultimate Muscle

Where there any that you actually enjoyed watching despite the typical 4kids style handling of them?

I for one really really love watching their Pokemon dub, especially the Indigo League and movies. It was also my first anime that I grew up with which makes it kinda special. I have all of them recorded on video and I enjoy watching them over and over. I think they actually did a pretty amazing job with the series. There was hardly THAT much edited out, the original score music was kept (although sometimes rearranged) and all of the characters voices where good and believable. I also LOVE the theme tunes.. Pokemon, Gotta catch em' all!! Their so catchy lol ^.^

Shaman King was also really really good and Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty decent. I found that Shaman King was surprisingly pretty slacked on compared to their other animes and pretty funny. The character voices where all good (well, Len’s accent wasn’t needed, it was pretty annoying at times) and the editing wasn’t that bad, nor the script. Again I have all the episodes recorded on Dvd and I love re-watching them. Compared to the original verison, yes it is very different but in a good way.

Although I agree that Yu-Gi-Oh was quite butchered, I still found that I really liked it. The Japanese version is defiantly waaaaay better but it’s still really enjoyable in English. I wouldn't say that it is a total disgrace. I liked most of the characters voices alot actually and some of the edits where ok. Mew Mew Power is also decent and I actually give 4Kids credit for speeding up Zoey's attacks as the Japanese ones took forever, but I do prefer Tokyo Mew Mew by far. Also I do really like the music scores they created for YGO and Mew Mew, they where pretty catchy.

Overall, 4Kids hasn't really done to bad of a job with some of their animes and and I'm sure that some of them will be remembered for a long time to come but poor poor One Piece, what happened? That sadly will never be let go.

What do you guys think?

Sorry if I forgot to list any shows!
    Last edited by AnimeForever; September 25th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Default Re: Are there any 4Kids Dubs that you actually watched and enjoyed? (If thats possibl

YuGiOh was decent because the whole thing of dying because of a card game was already way too corny, so yeah, no wonder why I gave a damn about the Mystic crap of the Shadow Realm, plus I think they didn't edited stuff like guns like they did with their other dubs....

Default Re: Are there any 4Kids Dubs that you actually watched and enjoyed? (If thats possibl

I remember I used to watch and enjoy Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh when I was younger... But I watched a lot of things when I was younger that I think is complete crap now, so I can't really judge based on that.

Not too long ago i saw an ep of Ultimate Muscle, and i gotta say, it was pretty good. The script was a bit on the corny side, but at least it wasn't as bad as the OP dub.

I'm just curious as to the edits they made to Yu-Gi-Oh. It didnt seem like there wasnt many edits in the first place.....of course I did watch the series ages ago.

Best 4kids dub goes to One Piece hands down. It was awesome.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Did you get approval for this poll?

And for the most part I've enjoyed nearly all 4Kids dubs, except for the original production Cubix and OP's dub.

I find it annoying that everyone likes to ride the "RAAGH 4KIDS IS THE DEVIL BUTCHERS OF ANIME MUST DIE" bandwagon, considering a localized, english dub was how 99.9% of people got into anime and developed their own tastes for shows. The whole "English adaptions must be as close to the original as possible to preserve creator intent" mentality is so stupid, if people wanted to get the most authentic feel they should watch subtitles or learn Japanese.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

DA CRIME OF THE CENT'RY Captain Kaze's Avatar

I enjoyed 4kids Pokemon dub, as well as Ultimate Muscle (i think that was 4kids..)

J-WALKING

I believe there are only a few 4Kids-dubbed series that fans actually have legitimate complaints when they gripe that it was a butchering job, one of them being One Piece.

I absolutely loved the Pokemon, Ultimate Muscle and Shaman King dubs, they were all pretty fantastic. I think Shaman King especially deserves a place of honor, because it really was a series that could have gotten it a lot worse (4Kids kept in references to death, what minimal blood there was, and even said "jackass"). the Ultimate Muscle dub was also arguably better than the original. And while I really don't enjoy watching Dinosaur King, I do tip my hat to the very accurate dubbing job, because it's 4Kids' best yet (it retains the fact that it's set in Japan, keeps original BGM, leaves text on signs, etc.)

While I can understand fan complaints about the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub, I do think it was done well in that it was marketed correctly for the right audience. The voice acting in it was pretty competent, too.

I think most of 4Kids' dubs were just average, anyway. Sonic X and One Piece got pretty bad deals, though. I do think the voice acting was actually better in 4Kids' earlier dubs.

Um, I didn't know that I had to get approval for this poll There was just an option for one at the bottom of the new thread page and nothing came up about it when I submitted it

PM one of the moderators for permission as soon as possible. As in, like, now.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Um, who would they be? I'm afriad I don't know of any by name!

EDIT: Done!
    Last edited by AnimeForever; September 24th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.

Of course

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, those are the only that come to mind.

Was Digimon dubbed by 4kids? I enjoyed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeForever View Post
    Um, who would they be? I'm afriad I don't know of any by name!
    Their names are high-lighted in green. Look at the "Who is Online" box on the index and click on a green name.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

The only 4kids dub that I could honestly watch was the original Pokemon dub. The first few seasons at least. I think the consensus is thats pretty much the best they've ever done.

They were, and I think are still actually showing the old Indigo league episodes on Cartoon Network. I caught one for the sake of nostalgia (if you'll pardon the pun), and here I'm thinking....."This ain't bad at all, so what the fuck happened?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile15 View Post
    Was Digimon dubbed by 4kids? I enjoyed that too.
    Digimon was a Saban dub.
    Last edited by TakinawaTonfa; September 25th, 2007 at 05:28 AM.

I'd say Pokemon, Yugioh, Shaman King, and Ultimate Muscle.... They were the only four even remotely watchable...

Yu-gi-oh GX is probably my favorite of 4Kids' dubs, and even with editing and all that crap I still find it quite enjoyable.

Signature by Bandit-King
    Halcyon Days

In the season of the witch

Like most of everybody said... Pokemon.

Despite I didn't watch all the animes that 4Kids dubbed or butched, that company makes me ugh for what they did with Tokyo Mew Mew and One Piece. Filled the dialogues of corny jokes and terrible puns, cut off important scenes and ruined all the sequence of the story by removing/editing certain episodes.

Only ones i can think of are Pokemon and Ultimate Muscle.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

*Pokemon (only Kanto & Orange Islands...never really liked the Johto dub outside the beginning and Hoenn, as good as many parts are, is still scarred with the troubles Johto gave it)
    *Kinnikuman Nisei/Ultimate Muscle (I wish I saw more of it, last fight I saw was Mantaro vs. the traffic signal wrestler...and even if it was a decent dub, it wasn't perfect with some of the annoying crap)
    *YGO (only in the "so bad its good" line...like Saban DBZ)

Well, my first real exposure to the Shaman King anime was through the 4Kids-dub, and I thought that was good enough. And I DID enjoy Pokemon...... once. I don't really like it anymore, but that's more due to the fact that the same things happen over and over, and not how it's dubbed. (And I know they changed dubbing-companies, but I stopped watching WAY before that.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information