+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop

Not really "detective" in the sense of Detective Conan though, but in the terms of "some hardboiled-ness going on, track and chase down the bad guy, kick his ass, etc." It's about space bounty hunters, if you didn't know (and I'm not sure if it's possible to not know).

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Did Cowboy Bebop Manga get cancelled? I can only find three volumes besides Lone Star; One had to do with Spike stumbling upon a illegal Hyperspace gate operation, one involved Ed and a crazy guy on a space orphanage, and the other one involved Faye and an old friend...

I guess no one found it as appealing in Manga format.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

That's because the manga lacks an amazing soundtrack.

I read somewhere that cb wasn't as critcally acclaimed in japan as it is here...

Don't know if that source is true but that would be really weird if it was.
    Last edited by Radical jack; September 1st, 2007 at 10:02 AM.

Everyone who is debating watching this series-STOP AND WATCH IT.

I first started watching it after a friend recommended it to me a few years ago and now next to Monster it is my favorite anime series. Awesome sound track, action scenes, and it actually makes you think to understand things such as the character's pasts and don't just come out and tell you which IMO is one redeeming quality of the show. Also, who doesn't like sci-fi space bounty hunters kicking ass. It's such a shame this show isn't very popular. It beats the shit out of Naruto, Bleach, Trinity Blood or any other anime they show on Adult Swim/Toonami.

Also, there are only three volumes of the manga (I own all three) and it is actually very good IMO. They reveal some things about the characters that the show didn't and gives a little more clarity on the pasts of all the characters.

I liked the Movie and Vincent far more than I ever liked the TV plot episodes and Vicious, I don't he just seemed so overwhelmingly cliche (who brings a sword to a gunfight)

huh @ Bebop being unpopular lol

and I could never read the manga because the Dub was spot on and the show NEEDS it soundtrack
    Last edited by Taleran; September 1st, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

DougyDougyGiro!*

Quote Originally Posted by Shanks1Piece View Post
    It's such a shame this show isn't very popular.

Am pretty sure it's popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Taleran View Post
    I liked the Movie and Vincent far more than I ever liked the TV plot episodes and Vicious, I don't he just seemed so overwhelmingly cliche (who brings a sword to a gunfight)
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taleran View Post

huh @ Bebop being unpopular lol

and I could never read the manga because the Dub was spot on and the show NEEDS it soundtrack
    Yes, the soundtrack is basically part of the story. It all fits in context perfectly.

I'm still amazed people have yet to see the entire series. Adult swim has shown it like....16 times over the years. A lot of people say they are sick of seeing it and gets pissed everytime AS decides to show it again. But I personally don't get sick of it. It's a lot better than them airing FLCL over and over, while a nice little series, is only 6 bloody episodes and that gets old fast in reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by Implosion View Post
    Yes, the soundtrack is basically part of the story. It all fits in context perfectly.

Case
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mFQ8ftCLris (ASK DNA)

and

Point
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XukcN8K3b5U (movie Ending)

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

I've never seen Cowboy Bebop beyond the first episode, though I saw the movie. Frankly...I think the series is good, but I never understood why it recieved so much credit for "showing adults cartoons can be for older kids as well". Like Yu-Gi-Oh!, during the days when Bebop was first airing, the whole "adult accessibility" spiel was being spammed all over the place like some sort of weeaboo conspiracy. That turned me off to the show and I just decided it was inferior to Outlaw Star (out of justified elitism, since the Bebop fans were quite vocal with calling OS "trash" back then) and never watched it.

Saw the movie on STARS and enjoyed it, though. Not sure how it compares to the series.

Also, I don't care for the ending. I don't hate it/love it, but why people consider the ending an epic spoiler escapes me.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Not really "detective" in the sense of Detective Conan though, but in the terms of "some hardboiled-ness going on, track and chase down the bad guy, kick his ass, etc." It's about space bounty hunters, if you didn't know (and I'm not sure if it's possible to not know).
    You look for the terms "Film noir" and "pulp"

And it could also be classified as steam-punk in some ways, though it's more sci-fi. (But not so sci-fi that it'd be considered cyber-punk, at least I wouldn't consider it as such)

to Radical Jack: Yeah, it wasn't as big in Japan as it was around the world (and especially in the US) Much of the series wasn't aired in Japan for being too violent, and obviously the series' ratings suffered for it. Much of it's success is from it's releases in other countries.

Samurai Champloo (I beleive) did much better, as it's not nearly as violent, and is much more eastern (as opposed to the VERY western Bebop)

I can't wait for the next series from Watanabe, especially because I want to see what the soundtrack will be like. He's had jazz and hip hop, what's next I wonder....
    ArticUNO ZapDOS MolTRES!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, I never noticed that!

Disco. It'll be disco in Victorian Britain with vampies, gargoyles and exhiled Austrian mad scientists.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

CB is actually the anime that got me REALLY into anime...There were some that I had seen and liked before, but when I got to "Ballad of Fallen Angels" it was like a big turning point. Something about the way it was directed with the music (particularly the Green Bird sequence with Spike falling out the window), just made me feel like "yeah, this is why I love animation".
    And Mushroom Samba - funniest episode ever.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    I've never seen Cowboy Bebop beyond the first episode, though I saw the movie. Frankly...I think the series is good, but I never understood why it recieved so much credit for "showing adults cartoons can be for older kids as well". Like Yu-Gi-Oh!, during the days when Bebop was first airing, the whole "adult accessibility" spiel was being spammed all over the place like some sort of weeaboo conspiracy. That turned me off to the show and I just decided it was inferior to Outlaw Star (out of justified elitism, since the Bebop fans were quite vocal with calling OS "trash" back then) and never watched it.

Saw the movie on STARS and enjoyed it, though. Not sure how it compares to the series.

Also, I don't care for the ending. I don't hate it/love it, but why people consider the ending an epic spoiler escapes me.
    Wait, what, waht, huh?

I was going to roll my eyes at you judging it without seeing it, but now I don't know what youv'e seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephos View Post
    Wait, what, waht, huh?
    Don't tell me you've never heard of "SPIKE DIES"?

I was going to roll my eyes at you judging it without seeing it, but now I don't know what youv'e seen.
    I don't like your tone.

In the past two years I've seen a huge reservoir of shows, which just adds to the legitimacy of my ability to make correct inferences about a show from the beginning, or at least discern its potential. Not to mention I have most of the character backgrounds/events spoiled for me, which already gives me good insight into judging the series.

Usually, spoiling doesn't bother me that much and just flavours the show when I watch it - case in point, Gunbuster and Diebuster. Knowing the end result just built up anticipation.

I also have the ability to enjoy a show for what it is and not compare it to other shows produced later. In that sense, I'm different from the hordes of other people who don't want to watch old anime because it looks uglier than the digi-paint stuff.

My intuition tells me Cowboy Bebop is a lot like FLCL - it's not that great, but people have a lot of nostalgia for it, so they prop it up on a pedstle. Frankly, I'm nostalgic for some shows as well, but that doesn't mean they were the best shows ever...

I only recently saw FLCL. As in, two weeks ago. Prior to that, I couldn't sit through more than than eight minutes of the first episode (note: I watched it during the first [adult swim] broadcast), I felt I wouldn't like the show.

Even with Gurren-Lagann and Diebuster as FLCL-ish, I still didn't like the show and found it rather stupid. I only finished it out of obligation to my computer for the tiresome download, and I saw both sub + dub just to make sure there wasn't something off that prevented me from liking it.

But if I take that opinion to the dogs, I'll end up being called a troll.

tl;dr - LOL OPINIONS.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Don't tell me you've never heard of "SPIKE DIES"?

I don't like your tone.

In the past two years I've seen a huge reservoir of shows, which just adds to the legitimacy of my ability to make correct inferences about a show from the beginning, or at least discern its potential. Not to mention I have most of the character backgrounds/events spoiled for me, which already gives me good insight into judging the series.

Usually, spoiling doesn't bother me that much and just flavours the show when I watch it - case in point, Gunbuster and Diebuster. Knowing the end result just built up anticipation.

I also have the ability to enjoy a show for what it is and not compare it to other shows produced later. In that sense, I'm different from the hordes of other people who don't want to watch old anime because it looks uglier than the digi-paint stuff.

My intuition tells me Cowboy Bebop is a lot like FLCL - it's not that great, but people have a lot of nostalgia for it, so they prop it up on a pedstle. Frankly, I'm nostalgic for some shows as well, but that doesn't mean they were the best shows ever...

I only recently saw FLCL. As in, two weeks ago. Prior to that, I couldn't sit through more than than eight minutes of the first episode (note: I watched it during the first [adult swim] broadcast), I felt I wouldn't like the show.

Even with Gurren-Lagann and Diebuster as FLCL-ish, I still didn't like the show and found it rather stupid. I only finished it out of obligation to my computer for the tiresome download, and I saw both sub + dub just to make sure there wasn't something off that prevented me from liking it.

But if I take that opinion to the dogs, I'll end up being called a troll.

tl;dr - LOL OPINIONS.
    Theres so much wrong with this post I'm getting a headache.

I liked the ending simply for the music and action(rushing into enemy base and all)

but overall, never really cared much for the series. Found it quite boring in the middle.

I liked Champloo ALOT more.(made by same company, right?)

Edit: Why Zephos? I thought Terek has good points. People put their "firsts" up on a pedestal with many things.

Like DBZ and street fighter as well. The reason adults hold it in such high reguard these days may just be because they were 13 staying up late on weekdays watching it on a adult swim.

Especially FLCL, which I just did not get the hype at all.

Theres so much wrong with this post I'm getting a headache.
    What do you want me to say? "Cowboy Bebop is overrated, it's actually a really generic space anime and people only like it because it was their first "deep" show?"

I know better than that, and you do as well. Don't shrug off giving me a proper response, address me directly if you believe Bebop to truely be worth defending against a skeptic. You might just convince me to watch it - Carter was the one who got me to give FLCL another chance.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information