+ Reply to Thread
Page 343 of 344 FirstFirst ... 243 293 333 341 342 343 344 LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,860 of 6863

Thread: Doctor Who

Default Re: Doctor Who

Yeah, I think RTD was better at paying off his season-long story arcs, whereas I think Moffat bit off more than he could chew by having a storyline that encompassed the entire 11th Doctor's run. And that's fine in theory, but you really gotta know what you're doing for that to work. By the 12th Doctor, I'm not sure he even cared anymore.

The biggest problem with Mofatt doing a series-long arc for 11, is that he very, VERY clearly thought he was still going to have Matt for another season. You do NOT write the ending to the 50th anniversary the way he did, "well now I'm off on a quest to find Gallifrey!" and then end it the very next episode. Not to mention offhand haphazardly wrapping everything up in a couple throwaway lines in the same episode?

I understand WHY he didn't want to drag that arc into the next iteration, but like the River arc before that, he maybe should have had held a piece or two to end it slightly more organically.

Or maybe just focused more on wrapping it up quicker rather than doing Clara's impossible girl thing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

We've still got one more season with Jodie, so I do hope she'll be sent off in a good way. Personally, I think the show has been OK, and there have been some good episodes, but there's just been something missing in the feel of the show that I can't put my finger on. Then of course the whole problem with too many companions. They've had that problem before and it never works well. I've always said someone could potentially make it work, but it seems to me it's not worth trying because nobody does make it work. You just can't get to know any of them enough or see them form a real bond with the Doctor.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, the BBC could really benefit from building their own Volume studio. Doctor Who would benefit greatly from it, and would save money put into building it in the long run.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

RTD returns and so do I...

XBL: SympathyX PSN: CTD-SympathyX 3DS: 0344-9267-0120
    Quote Originally Posted by tori22 View Post
    I would say that some of them do u guys are just biass because it's not from the manga. If the filler arc was in the manga then I bet u guys would love it.

I saw the news and it took me a good few minutes and news sources before realizing it wasn't a misleading clickbait article.

And… I'm excited? I never thought I'd say that about RTD. I use to trash talk him a lot but have gained a lot of respect and appreciation for him over the years. And while I don't like quite a few of his writing choices (e.g. garbage cans eating people and… large chunks of The End of Time), I definitely would prefer his stuff compared to the weird dialogue and characterization we've gotten for the last two seasons.

I really want season 13 to not live in RTD's oncoming shadow. Not that the show will do any mentions about it, obviously, but I really hope fans don't just compare it to what may come.

A little surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Season 13 will premiere on October 31st and will be 6 episodes, under the title Doctor Who: Flux.

https://tvline.com/2021/10/09/doctor...die-whittaker/

So we knew the season would be one long continuous story, but wow, Chibnall's really going ambitious here.

Spoiler:
    Going for a continuous story, but with so many plotlines? Curious to see how it all connects by the end. I'm not sure if they plan to juggle so many threads each episode, or just have each episode follow one thread from the first. If it's the latter, I can see how that would easily work best with Doctor Who's format and maintain a different monster/villain per episode.

And with this first episode, I think I liked it. The only complete plot it had was the Doc following Karvanista, saving Dan (from being saved by Karvanista), and protecting earth from the Flux. While everything else is still up in the air. There was so much going on and I could follow it all, and it did keep me intrigued. I don't know if I could say I thoroughly like it yet though, definitely going to be the kind of season where watching it all in one sitting will have it's perks.

I'm eager to see how the Sontarans are handled, I'd be happy to see them not as silly as Strax has been. They're inherently goofy as is, so some of that will still be there, I just don't want it to be as overt as it has been since Strax has been around.

Great to see the Division plotline be followed so soon. I really enjoy the angle of a villain that remembers all of the Doc's previous lives while the Doc is oblivious. Definitely putting her at a disadvantage and fighting an uphill battle from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    So we knew the season would be one long continuous story, but wow, Chibnall's really going ambitious here.

Spoiler:
    Going for a continuous story, but with so many plotlines? Curious to see how it all connects by the end. I'm not sure if they plan to juggle so many threads each episode, or just have each episode follow one thread from the first. If it's the latter, I can see how that would easily work best with Doctor Who's format and maintain a different monster/villain per episode.

And with this first episode, I think I liked it. The only complete plot it had was the Doc following Karvanista, saving Dan (from being saved by Karvanista), and protecting earth from the Flux. While everything else is still up in the air. There was so much going on and I could follow it all, and it did keep me intrigued. I don't know if I could say I thoroughly like it yet though, definitely going to be the kind of season where watching it all in one sitting will have it's perks.

I'm eager to see how the Sontarans are handled, I'd be happy to see them not as silly as Strax has been. They're inherently goofy as is, so some of that will still be there, I just don't want it to be as overt as it has been since Strax has been around.

Great to see the Division plotline be followed so soon. I really enjoy the angle of a villain that remembers all of the Doc's previous lives while the Doc is oblivious. Definitely putting her at a disadvantage and fighting an uphill battle from the start.
    I liked it apart from one thing,
    Spoiler:
    The whole dog alien "we're going to save 7 billion humans with 7 billion indestructible spaceships because that's the whole point of our species" was really goofy. But everything thing else is off to a good start, and I think focusing on the Doctors secret past as a Black Ops operative instead of the much more controversial 'Timeless Child' plot line is the right choice (although I'm guessing it'll come up at some point).

Bonus points for having a Weeping Angel being creepy again in what feels like ages.

Spoiler:
    Yeah, this episode was kinda hard to pin down. On the one hand, it had some really good stuff in it like the Weeping Angel scene, and the Flux itself is a very threatening entity. Just this huge maelstrom that can annihilate planets in an instant. And it does feel a little unfair to completely pass judgment on it now since this is very much one big continuing story and this episode was just setting up a lot of it. That said, it may have thrown a few too many things at us, as it came off as a bit disorienting. But overall I think I enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

The first two episodes of this season are so far superior to his work in the last two seasons it's bizarre. Jodie really feels like the Doctor for the first time, Yas is at least less annoying and superflous than last season, and Dan has been ok. Best usage of the Sontaran's in nuwho as well (though could have done with the scene with Dan running away and the "greatest warriors" missing wildly with their shots being omitted). The new antagonists are interesting.

Dunno if it's because this format, which Chibers is used to fits him better, or because he's feeling less restraint because he knows that whatever happens RTD will be there to pick up the pieces, but whatever, the first two episodes have been quite enjoyable. Of course with this format the payoff in the finale will be more important then ever.

Episode 3 was a bit confusing with all the jumping about, but I'm still enjoying this mini series so far.

I really liked episode 2, especially since that's the most competent we've seen the Sontarans. Even considering their weakness was kind of… lacking in military strategy, but still fine regardless. Swarm is such a great mix of camp and villainous.

Most recent episode was… something? I feel the same as I do the first episode, I'm not sure how I feel on it and I'll know once I see how it all plays out. But as a mid-season episode it was entertaining enough. Kind of confusing, and a reminder that doing wild timeline plots takea lot of time careful thinking to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    The first two episodes of this season are so far superior to his work in the last two seasons it's bizarre. Jodie really feels like the Doctor for the first time, Yas is at least less annoying and superflous than last season, and Dan has been ok. Best usage of the Sontaran's in nuwho as well (though could have done with the scene with Dan running away and the "greatest warriors" missing wildly with their shots being omitted). The new antagonists are interesting.

Dunno if it's because this format, which Chibers is used to fits him better, or because he's feeling less restraint because he knows that whatever happens RTD will be there to pick up the pieces, but whatever, the first two episodes have been quite enjoyable. Of course with this format the payoff in the finale will be more important then ever.
    Yeah it's odd, I love to see these episodes but I hate that Chibnall seems to be hitting it off really well in his last season. Jodie really seems to be getting into her groove of the Doctor, and I think it helps that she doesn't have such a cluttered TARDIS team this time around, mixed in with her being pulled away from them during the War of the Sontarans.

Really interesting to keep in mind that this season was filmed during the pandemic, I've nearly forgotten! Makes sense when you consider a lot of scenes have about 2-3 people, and rarely go beyond that. And fortunately it really works in the season's favor, even when there's so many plotlines jumbling around.

Episode 3 was fine, but it really felt like they were stretching things out to fill the running time.

Yeah it's odd, I love to see these episodes but I hate that Chibnall seems to be hitting it off really well in his last season. Jodie really seems to be getting into her groove of the Doctor, and I think it helps that she doesn't have such a cluttered TARDIS team this time around, mixed in with her being pulled away from them during the War of the Sontarans.
    It's a shame that NuWho seems committed to the idea that no Doctor can run for more than three seasons. Why can't we have another long-runner like Baker or even Pertwee?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Episode 3 was fine, but it really felt like they were stretching things out to fill the running time.

It's a shame that NuWho seems committed to the idea that no Doctor can run for more than three seasons. Why can't we have another long-runner like Baker or even Pertwee?
    Most likely because the leading actors don't want to commit that long to one project and risk becoming type cast.

Take a look at all the other former NuWho doctors. All of them have gone on to do some really interesting projects that they otherwise would not have done if they were still committed to doctor who.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

That isn't the show deciding it, it's the actors. Tennant and Smith have both said they had to leave before they stayed forever, Sith in particular kind of regrets not staying for another year. (And Moffatt certainly THOUGHT he had him for another year when he wrote the 50th) Capaldi gives the impression he may be burnt out on it by the end since he doesn't seem eager to return for any anniversary specials..

Even with that aisde, Tennant and Smith both had three full seasons followed by a year of specials, so they both kind of had 4 year runs.

Colin Baker WANTED to stay on for a long ass run and have his character evolve over time, that's why he was okay starting dark but he obviously got completely screwed by the production.

Even Tom Baker says 7 seasons was way too long, he should have left after the sixth.

Seven years on any project is a long, long time. Too long for a lot of actors, its also when shows lose steam if they havent shaken things up at all.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That was a great Weeping Angels episode, and a wowzer of a cliffhanger.

That was a great Weeping Angels episode with a wowzer of a climax.
    Yeah they've really got the hang of using the Angels, they've even made talking Angels creepy not goofy like last time.

Spoiler:
    Given what was said on the last episode, I'm guessing The Division is a much bigger deal than just being Time Lord Secret Police?

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Best use of the Angels since Blink really. I also like the emphasis on the cruelty of the Angels, as they're so powerful that if they were working at 100% efficiency the Doctor wouldn't really stand a chance.

Maxine Alderton with another fantastic episode (also wrote "The Haunting of Villa Diodati"), I think this would be the best 13th doctor episode for me. 3/4 great episodes for this season thus far, only "Once, Upon Time" hasn't been a winner.

In other good doctor who news, "The Abominable Snowmen" has had an animation announced, so when that comes out, half the missing serials will have been done.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...en-animation#_

Yep. Three companions has never really worked that well. Even at the beginning which is probably when it worked best Susan/Vicki kind of felt edged out a bit and didn't have a great deal to do but scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That isn't the show deciding it, it's the actors. Tennant and Smith have both said they had to leave before they stayed forever, Sith in particular kind of regrets not staying for another year. (And Moffatt certainly THOUGHT he had him for another year when he wrote the 50th) Capaldi gives the impression he may be burnt out on it by the end since he doesn't seem eager to return for any anniversary specials..

Even with that aisde, Tennant and Smith both had three full seasons followed by a year of specials, so they both kind of had 4 year runs.

Colin Baker WANTED to stay on for a long ass run and have his character evolve over time, that's why he was okay starting dark but he obviously got completely screwed by the production.

Even Tom Baker says 7 seasons was way too long, he should have left after the sixth.

Seven years on any project is a long, long time. Too long for a lot of actors, its also when shows lose steam if they havent shaken things up at all.
    Really I think Tom should have left after 5. I know we got City of Death out of him continuing on, but that was about it. The Armageddon Factor would have been a good time for a change too.

Village of the Angels was the best episode of the season, and probably one of the best 13th Doctor eps right now.

I'm always nervous whenever they bring the Angels back because they worked so well as a one off villain, and… it's hard to add much else without watering them down a bit. Here, however, they utilized past tricks that worked and added some nice stylistic touches.

Spoiler:

Drawing of an Angel? Scary enough, burn the paper. Oh, you just made a fiery Angel? Oh hell yeah. The caves?
    Also nice to have a supporting character (the professor) that's interesting. Looks like we'll see more of him in the next episode!

I love the idea of an Angel on the run and asking for the Doctor's help, and then I loved the further twist that it was part of the Division. And then! It making a deal with the other angels. Man, that's some fun twists.

Haven't had that bonkers of a cliffhanger since maybe Pandorica Opens. I'm not holding my breath on the resolution, though. Chibnall seems to make great cliffhangers that have weak solutions: Doctor regenerating and falling from tardis in season 11-> Simply survives the fall.
    The Flux takes over the tardis is ep 1 of this season, and… they just survive and get sent back in time?
    I get the sense that the Doctor will just be un-stoned like a Han Solo carbonate. Whatever, it's still a fun ending for an episode.

Also, that was the most "meh" mid-credit sequence I've seen. To be fair, though, I'm not sure where else you could've put it in the episode without it being awkward.

This season's been going pretty well, with ep 3 being the current low point.

Well that was another fun episode! Again, we had quite a few plotlines being juggled with, so there wasn't a whole lot of plot to it outside of the Doctor's storyline. So I wouldn't say it surpassed last week's episode. Although it was nice to get a few answers to some big questions.

Spoiler:
    Interesting how the Doc's plotline in this episode was just info dumping, whereas the companions went on the globetrotting adventure, and connecting with the Liverpool guy. Which is pretty fun. Along with the Grand Serpent and him pulling strings around UNIT for so long. Although I'm still not entirely sure why he's bothered to get involved with Earth to begin with?

Did NOT expect the Sontarans to show up again. I was used to the old format of the monsters being done for the season when their episode was over. Nicely played, Chibnall.

Now… Please stick the landing!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information