+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,029: The Tower

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Chapter 1,029: The Tower

With Queen's repetitive insistence, those MAD scientists must've been really secretive about their individual work.

Do the official translators read the scans from the chapter that leaks and purposely translate to English differently?
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Yeah, I have the same feeling about the translation. Target sounds way more natural than conduit. His name is Killer, not Killua. No need for fancy lingua.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    With Queen's repetitive insistence, those MAD scientists must've been really secretive about their individual work.

Do the official translators read the scans from the chapter that leaks and purposely translate to English differently?
    The official translation is basically done before the spoilers even come out. Steven is either currently translating 1030 or has already finished it.
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Sanji ran away... eh so it is for his frightening Raid Suit battle to be not seen by anyone else?

Killer's fight is so dynamic with good angles, it's good! Now, compare that with what Nami and Usopp did, or even Jack. Kinda sad.

I said it in the spoiler thread and I will say it again: Big Mom will fall here.

No matter if there is an Elbaf arc after this or what, her role as a villain will end on Wano. This chapter made sure of that, with the Tower from Hawkins' destiny draw (heh).
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I gotta say, it's been a while since any character improved my opinion of them so much in single chapter as Killer did this week.

Not that I disliked him before, but he was one of the least interesting supernovas, which are an amazing group on average. But this chapter really sold him as a worthy counterpart to Zoro in the "new generation first mate" business. Both because of the "please take me in my captain's place" moment and the arm cutting thing.

All more impressive because this is the supernova that Oda allegedly half-assed when he created him, and ended up being one of the more fleshed out members of the group.

Oda, please please please don’t get addicted to gacha mobage. Please.
    One Piece already has so many breaks as it is. Oda. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Yeah, I have the same feeling about the translation. Target sounds way more natural than conduit. His name is Killer, not Killua. No need for fancy lingua.
    I'm confused, did someone use the word "target" in the place of "conduit?" These words are not alike at all and conduit is perfect in this situation considering the spiritualist/psychic connotations of Hawkins powers.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I mean in a sense, he'll probably unleash the evolved form of the punchy fist.

Bigger, more aerodynamic and with flashy cool flames painted on the side.
    Funny thing I can actually see this happening, I was personally picturing him creating a giant hand that covers pic mom head and giving her a WWE under taker slam to the ground

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by ea77 View Post
    The official translation is basically done before the spoilers even come out. Steven is either currently translating 1030 or has already finished it.
    Okay. Some things read a bit weird to me (not the first time) and I just wondered if it was an effort to purposely make it different.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

This chapter felt like a classic One Piece chapter from start to finish and I enjoyed every second of it. Don't remember the last time a OP chapter could get such a reaction out if me.

I really happy that Sanji is making such a big deal out of this because the possibility to lose his emotions is a very valid assumption here.

As far as the Killer vs Hawkins fight is concerned, I absolutely loved it. I said often that I prefer story over fights but when the time for fights arrives I don't want Oda to just skim over them. And for side characters I don't even need a full chapter of actual fighting. Half is enough if the confrontation itself and the actual moves use the screen time wisely to show more then a generic move or one big named attack. The Ace vs Teach aswell as the Law vs Smoker fights were good on that front. And this one was good too. Really, I can't stress enough how much I liked the chapter this time around.^^

Sanji is going to go from being a sentai to being the Guyver.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ea77 View Post
    Jack was cheated. It's so weird that Raizo and Killer have more focus than Jack. It's a weird choice.
    I expect Jack to get back up as this arc fighting closes and Luffy smacking him a one good hit as he said he will on Zou ;) Sending him flying into the sea again.

Point of Jacks character is possibly that even though he is really evil and sadistic very strong villain he always looses. Its cartoony and in contrast with what he is capable of doing to others but Oda seems to be going for it every time for Jack. Like R team from Pokemon loosing every episode and returning for one more L all the time.

Commenting on the last two chapters... I can't say I'm fond of this direction for Sanji's character. I can get the excitement behind it but the whole charm of his backstory in WCI was that this regular human kid managed to stand up to his family and become strong on his own. While not nearly as bad, it's giving me eerily similar vibes to when Naruto threw out the idea that hard work could overcome raw talent.

On the upside I loved the second half of this chapter. By now the supernovas have become my favourite cast in the series, even outclassing the Strawhats. Killer is definitely the surprise standout of Wano, every appearance has been enjoyable and felt like it fleshed out a character who by all logic should've remained a one-note background guy. He's like the anti-Bellamy, I expected nothing and got everything I didn't know I wanted.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Don’t care for killer, don’t care for Kidd,
    Don’t care for rivalry that Oda’s pushed in.
    I’ve been glad that Kidd haven’t had any highlights,
    Hope the keep it that wayyyyyy
    It’s the power of Luff

Btw, Killer's acrobatic fighting style is pretty cool. It makes for some amazing panels.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, SIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Btw, Killer's acrobatic fighting style is pretty cool. It makes for some amazing panels.
    Yes.

And that's one of the reasons I wanted Carrot to join, because she also fights doing aerial acrobatics like mid-air double jumps and spins. Really good for coreographies.

Oh, and forgot to say that Hawkins giving Kid a headache by banging his head against the wall is bloody hilarious.
    I love Hawkins vs Killer so much.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

So killer spins his blades and then spins his own body as well to get some sort of momentum boost to his slashes?

The question is will Oda bump up Kidd to advanced CoC during this fight with Big Mom?. Most of the chapter was about giving Kidd importance. Oda has pushed a rivalry with Luffy in this arc and has shown many panels about it thou some also includes Law. Luffy has been bumped up, and I’m very happy about it, but he got trained and Kidd was not.
    I don’t think Oda will put Kidd on equal level to Luffy in this battle but maybe give Kidd a couple of CoC hits vs Big Mon in which he doesn’t know how to control it and it comes and goes away, will that be how this fight will go?.

Do we think Kidd can really take on Big Mom? What kind of power up would let him beat her? Maybe the same Conqueror’s haki coating Luffy has? And what kind of bounty increases will he get if he does?

I think he’ll beat her because what’s the entire point of the whole Tower Card and that last page set up if not?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information