+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The possibility of a second timeskip

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Default The possibility of a second timeskip

For the longest time I have been wondering if this was a thought nobody else shared, but yesterday I saw some people discussing it on other boards and this made me realize it's a possibility for some fans: A potential second, short timeskip before the final war.

The reason for that are manifold:

1. There are a lot of players on the global board right now and some setup needs to happen for all the pieces to be in their right place at the right time. Granted, we don't know what happens outside of Wano right now and crews, Marines, etc. might already be on their way to their designated spots - but in the case of entire armies like Alabasta or armadas like the SH Grand Fleet this might still not be enough.

2. No matter what happens in the arcs after Wano and before the Final War, I think Oda wants to keep some cards in his hand hidden until the last minute as having all secrets revealed before a 100+ chapter war arc might just turn it into a rather unexciting combat slog where we basically just go through the notions of defeating designated enemies. Stuff like a Void Century and Roger flashback, the reveal of the One Piece, Laugh Tale and other important plot points are the big mysteries of the series and spoiling it all a bit too early would make me feel like Luffy at Sabaody.

3. There is a chance for redesigning characters and making last minute adjustments. This is a more of a personal pet peeve of mine, but I wish some Strawhats would get a redesign as I find their post-TS designs worse than the pre-TS ones. Good example would be Chopper's various points (and him being too cute in general compared to his initial appearance) and to a lesser extent Franky's cyborg body (not my style, but it seems a lot of people adore it) and the female crew members (for the love of god, give Nami her short hair back).

4. It might allow Oda to have a short break just before entering the final arc, leaving him time to polish the storyboards, draw ahead a bit and make sure everything is just perfect for the climax of the biggest Shounen on the market. At the same time, a publication break that mirrors the timeskip is a perfect way for WSJ to start the hype machine and try to get some people who haven't gotten into OP yet to catch up ("Now is the perfect time to join in on this historic moment" PR). Maybe even have a longer break and give us a short spinoff series by another author or keep the hype up even further.

How should it happen, though? Imho after collecting all 4 road poneglyphs the Strawhats will be the #1 target of the WG since they are by far the most dangerous group in the world at that point with their access to Laugh Tale, Robin as a crewmember and Luffy being a D. There is a not so small chance that the Marines will attempt a last ditch effort to prevent Luffy from reaching the One Piece at all costs, throwing everything they have at their disposal at them - including whatever Vegapunk's new weapon is, WMDs, Pacifistas 2.0, etc. I can see a situation where they appear to succeed and we get a fakeout "death" of the crew and the Sunny, being seemingly brought down by this display of power. Obviously they aren't dead and will continue their journey, but this plot point would serve several narrative functions:

We can go into an extended setup period of maybe a few weeks or months in-universe that does not feature the Strawhats so Oda can focus on the points I lined up above. At the same time, it allows Luffy and Co. to learn everything, prepare and establish contact with their allies without Marines intercepting them as they will likely be too busy with their "grand cleansing". Same goes for Blackbeard who will likely be close to his endgoal - whatever it may be - and give our friends trouble as well. It also serves as a hype generator since in-universe people may initially believe this, but then rumours are popping up about Luffy succeeding, further heightening the stakes and establishing a tense atmosphere for Marines/WG, BB, revolutionaries, our allies and the general population ("Did we really witness the birth of a second Pirate King?!"). It would also lay the groundwork for an amazing reappearance of the SHs at a desperate moment for the Revolutionaries or other endangered parties during the great cleansing as the Marines/BB proceed with their plan, ignoring the rumours - similar to how WB appeared at Marineford with his allies to save Ace just in time (Just imagine several doublespreads of the SH Grand Fleet, the armadas of Alabasta, DR and FI as well as the Sunny with the Strawhats appearing back to back.). After that, the final arc can start in earnest, with the final reveals and flashbacks like the Laugh Tale voyage being sprinkled in at pivotal points.

Does this sound plausible or am I alone in wanting something similar to this to happen?
    Last edited by Nidhoeggr; October 24th, 2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Grammar
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Default Re: The possibility of a second timeskip

I don't see a new timeskip coming. I think that all of the reasons you pointed could be achieved without a timeskip, like giving Oda a break or preparing the players in the board. for the final war In fact, the board is already being prepared with the events that happened at the end of the Reverie, I don't see how he could delay for a few years the events set in motion.
    The first timeskip was meant to show that the Strawhats trained to become stronger and able to reach the higher enemies. We had just been shown the best of the best fighters in the Summit War and after the timeskip Luffy was shown as prepared to face them.
    And here we are, challengin Kaidou. If Luffy beats Kaidou he could potentially face Admirals, other Younkou, Im. He is ready for final-bosses anywhere. So we don't need another timeskip to upgrade strenghth.

I don't like the idea of a timeskip for Luffy to get stronger, which is a popular idea amng the fandom. We already got that, getting a second one would undermine the first.

But a second timeskip for plot reasons, such as a Pirate King Luffy needing time to rally his world alliance and prepare for the Final War, I'm cool with.

Yes, I'd be a very short one whose sole purpose is to be final setup and delay certain reveals. I am sure nobody wants another 2 year timeskip haha
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I believe that at some point Oda might do some chapters as a montage showing the passage of time (weeks) just for the sake of geographical logistics for the final war, but not a proper time skip.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; October 24th, 2021 at 02:04 PM.

I doubt there will be another timeskip outside end of series where-are-they-now stuff. Maybe fast forward a few weeks for some war set-up, but that's not really a timeskip. No redesigns or anything, there's no point in doing that so late. Besides, some of the crew have been getting their "final forms" like raid suit Sanji and actual demon Robin. And if Oda really wanted a longer break like he did last timeskip, I'm sure he'd be able to without making some in-story narrative checkpoint. I'm pretty sure we're well beyond any marketable hopping-on points.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I believe that at some point Oda might due some chapters as a montage showing the passage of time (weeks) just for the sake of geographical logistics for the final war, but not a proper time skip.
    Hm, a montage accomplishing essentially the same thing is another method indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I doubt there will be another timeskip outside end of series where-are-they-now stuff. Maybe fast forward a few weeks for some war set-up, but that's not really a timeskip. No redesigns or anything, there's no point in doing that so late. Besides, some of the crew have been getting their "final forms" like raid suit Sanji and actual demon Robin. And if Oda really wanted a longer break like he did last timeskip, I'm sure he'd be able to without making some in-story narrative checkpoint. I'm pretty sure we're well beyond any marketable hopping-on points.
    Eh, I can see some Western fans getting on board at this point because a lot of people are hesitating due to sheer length of OP as well as its unclear runtime remainign right now. With a de facto confirmation of the final arc happening after a potential short break that might just be the news they have been waiting for to get started. Two friends of mine only started with Bleach/Naruto once it was confirmed they were in their final arc.

In the past, I thought it was a possibility. But now, I believe the various prophecies place the New Dawn in the current year in the story world. I used to think it would be cool for the log pose to take a long time to set alowing the Straw Hats to remain on one island for an extended period of time. Oda toyed with that concept on Little Garden. I thought it would be cool if he actually followed through on someplace like Elbaf.

That being said, I have just been happy to see him accounting for the passage of time between Zou and Wano with weeks passing by between some of the major arcs / events.

I think we'll see an epilogue time-skip.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I would've prefered there to be no timeskips at all, so a second one would've been most unwelcome

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

I always thought a short 6 months to a year time skip was possible.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoeggr View Post
    Eh, I can see some Western fans getting on board at this point because a lot of people are hesitating due to sheer length of OP as well as its unclear runtime remainign right now. With a de facto confirmation of the final arc happening after a potential short break that might just be the news they have been waiting for to get started. Two friends of mine only started with Bleach/Naruto once it was confirmed they were in their final arc.
    If people are hesitating now, I doubt the chapters going into 4 digits and volumes into 3 digits is really gonna help. Setting aside a month break isn't gonna bring many people in, and most western readers daunted to start a 1000+ chapter series are just going to google one piece scanlations rather than anything financially supportive. If Oda wants to take a break, go for it, but the final act has already begun, so there's never going to be a moment as good as the original war/timeskip to draw people in.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

If there's setup or moving forces that need to happen for the final battle, they should happen in the background of Elbaf in the same way the final bits of the leadup for Marineford were done while Thriller Bark kept the crew busy. And as for new outfits or design revamps, most of the crew has been getting a whole new outfit for every post-timeskip island anyway. Oda's got a lot of freedom to change things without having to take a big break.

However, if Oda wants to take another monthlong hiatus after a presumed Elbaf arc (or even just after Wano) to prepare the final leg of the story, I don't think he needs to give the story a timeskip to justify it. The guy's more than earned whatever he needs to do to give the story the ending it deseves.

Yeah, I hope Oda feels free to take time off whenever he wishes. As for the duration of the series, I think the 'final saga' will be as expansive as the current saga (Punk Hazard - Wano), so not really expecting the series to draw to a close quickly. He's certainly not rushing on Wano.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Yeah, I hope Oda feels free to take time off whenever he wishes. As for the duration of the series, I think the 'final saga' will be as expansive as the current saga (Punk Hazard - Wano), so not really expecting the series to draw to a close quickly. He's certainly not rushing on Wano.
    I get the feeling that he is rushing Wano as much as he possibly can without making the writing bad. He has been rushing the manga since around WCI, actually.

And yes, even with the rushing Wano is still 100+ chapters long. That's how big its scope is.

No way. Timeskip will kill the momentum and Oda wants to end the manga.Few weeks of moving forward can happen though depending on the scenario.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

I think the current timeskip is enough. Another timeskip would be after the great war but not before.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

I do think that second timeskip would be healthy in a way. Like for example Strawhats need to wait for something to happen and it happens once every 100 years for example.

For some reason Roger and his pirates said that they reached One Piece too early. Also Doflamingo hinted at immortality being a must to get to secret that Celestial Dragons hold and that possibly gives them rule over the world.

One might ask how Strawhats can live through such a timeskip when they are One of the most wanted crews in One Piece world? Answer might be simple, they could be sheltered and further trained by Shanks. Nobody would dare to attack Red Haired Pirates and Strawhats together. So after Holy Land arc, I could be okay even with 2 more years of timeskip or maybe even 5 with everyone getting to be in their prime.
    I want to see Luffy being a man in final arc, not kid he currently is. I would also widely enjoy seeing for example Kidd being redesigned and a Yonko, rival to Luffy.

Perhaps Strawhats will need to wait some time more for One Piece to be available/ reachable yet again and Shansk meeting will be like meeting with Rayleigh 10 years ago. Then us seeing that wait is over and Strawhats going to take One Piece, fighting their way through Marines and Clashing with Blackbeard Pirates.

My personal preference would be to see that sort of timeskip that would make feel Strawhats like King of Pirates crew and that can only come with some more time for their growth.

Perhaps need to wait is why Shanks did not went for One Piece himself as he very likely is capable of it. With Luffy being his failsafe plan if for some reason someone will kill him or get stronger than him making Shanks unable to fulfill his captains wish.

If we're getting a second timeskip, I think it'll be after the Strawhats reach Laugh Tale, sort of mirroring what happened with the Roger Pirates, at least from the public's perspective - reach Laugh Tale, vanish for a year, then the Pirate King reappears to bring his story to an end.

In Roger's case, they realized that they were "too early" and disbanded, then Roger turned himself in a year later and was executed. In Luffy's case, I think they may take some time to "digest" whatever they learn on Laugh Tale, make plans, and reach out to their various allies, then return to kick off the "Final War" that will cap off the series, which in my mind will involve the Strawhats and their allies marching on Mary Geoise.
    Last edited by otakufan; October 25th, 2021 at 07:58 AM.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    If we're getting a second timeskip, I think it'll be after the Strawhats reach Laugh Tale, sort of mirroring what happened with the Roger Pirates, at least from the public's perspective - reach Laugh Tale, vanish for a year, then the Pirate King reappears to bring his story to an end.

In Roger's case, they realized that they were "too early" and disbanded, then Roger turned himself in a year later and was executed. In Luffy's case, I think they may take some time to "digest" whatever they learn on Laugh Tale, make plans, and reach out to their various allies, then return to kick off the "Final War" that will cap off the series, which in my mind will involve the Strawhats and their allies marching on Mary Geoise.
    I expect Holy Land to be next arc. Many things point to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    I expect Holy Land to be next arc. Many things point to it.
    You're not the only one, but personally, I don't see it. The Reverie set up a lot of stuff, but was done in a way that ensured the Strawhats won't find out about what went down until after Wano wraps up, and my read on it is that by the time they learn about what happened regarding Vivi/Sabo/etc., anyone of consequence will have long since fled Mary Geoise, so beyond picking a fight with Imu and the Gorousei for the hell of it, I don't see much for the Strawhats to accomplish in Mary Geoise at this time.

The issue of the Holy Land is directly tied into the Void Century, so I feel it will be resolved only once the big history mysteries have been revealed more or less in full, i.e. post-Laugh Tale and thus in the series end-game.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information