View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

113 81.29%
  • No

26 18.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Is that what people are scared of in regards to Yamato joining? Scared that Zoro and Sanji will be treated as more useless back wings in favor of Yamato being part of the front wings with Jinbe, and that characters' worth should be gaged merely for what fights they're apart of?
    Sadly people who think that “Yamato is too strong” think that way. Yamato joining will threaten their favorite characters (this case Zoro/Sanji).

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah, I don't agree in accrediting the grand fleet members except for those that exchanged sake cups solely as Usopp's followers instead of the strawhats grand fleet.
    Usopp's followers and the grand fleet are the same thing.

Also seems more likely to me Usopp would gain his 8000 followers all at once not in some keep up with amount every arc or so and add them up near the end.
    Why? Seems like an arbitrary criteria.

I don't see the cap on what Usopp does as only 2400 left.
    2400 + 5600 = 8000. Which is equal to the lie. We just disagree that the fleet and Usopp followers are not the same. Could be, but I don't see it.

That's the thing. I'm not going with this limit of 2400 when it should easily exceed that.
    2400 + 5600 = 8000.

Seem more like Luffy followers to me.
    Through Usopp:
    Hidden:

Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    Sadly people who think that “Yamato is too strong” think that way. Yamato joining will threaten their favorite characters (this case Zoro/Sanji).
    Can't even believe some people will resort to bringing other characters down, and even disrespect them with mudslinging regardless how much they've helped out, so as to bring other characters up out of favoritism. At that point, it's just looking like Zoro and Sanji are built on top of mountains of disrespect, slander, and just all around nasty mudslinging and that really obscures how characters are viewed for what they're doing on the whole, and makes me wonder how fragile the monster trio dynamic really is if one has to resort to down talk on characters like Jinbe and Yamato so as to keep Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji up high on silvery shiny pedestals up in the sky.

Yamato is a huge question mark. Actually, multiple question marks.

Yamato does not have any significant foreshadowing, especially before Wano. For perspective, Brook and Jinbe have been alluded to in some form near the beginning of the series.

Yamato wants to go out to sea with Luffy. Not Luffy wants Yamato to join the Strawhats. What is special about Yamato that Luffy would even ask? And by special I mean special to Luffy. Cool transformations was a big reason why Luffy invited Chopper. But Luffy has not seen Yamato's Zoan transformation. Nor any Minks' Sulong. That seems odd to me. Why has Oda purposely made Luffy miss these opportunities? Nevertheless, transformation can not be a reason currently for Luffy to ask. Yama-o has to display a special attribute to Luffy before end of Wano.

The Ace connection is not exclusive as Yamato and Tama interacted with Ace during his visit to Wano in the past. Besides, not even all the Strawhats met Ace being Robin, Franky, and Brook. The most profound Ace connection was with Jinbe during Impel Down and Marineford as so much went down emotionally for Luffy. Yamato's Ace connection is more of an afterthought.

A big question is Yamato's ship role. Yamato as a stonemason does not connect. That is a skill passed on through Kozuki family members, not impersonators, which it seems Oden took to his grave. Only way that could happen IMO is if Momonosuke learns the craft somehow (Oden's Journal?) and then teaches Yamato. But why would Momo do that? A shipguard is probably the best guess but it has been mentioned that the ship guard would miss the land adventures being stuck guarding Sunny.

Yamato is "Oden" but admitted Luffy was more "Oden" than Yamato. Kozuki Momonosuke is actually Kozuki Oden's son which should make Momo more "Oden" than Luffy. So shouldn't Yamato follow the most Oden-like person? What does Yamato love more: freedom to travel by sea or Oden? I think it's a good question. I'm leaning Oden. Yamato is emulating Oden including his desire to travel. Oden was able to travel with his family by sea on Whitebeard's and Roger's ships. But can Yamato do both travel the sea and "be Oden?"

Well, Shinobu already alluded to Momo looking like Oden. Maybe instead Yamato can "be Oden" by being with Momonosuke. Yamato can continue mentoring Momonosuke on his dragon powers. Both are guardian deities of Wano. Both are physically 28 years old. Yamato is 8'8" while Kozuki Oden was 12'6" so Momo has the chance to be taller. Momo is now a MAN! That perverted boy who has felt up Nami and Robin was also pressed up on Yamato's back and seen Yamato's exposed chest. The Peerless Peach and Oni Princess marriage may create a mighty military of Wano warriors and Beast Pirates (minus Kaido, the Allstars, and Topi Roppo). Recall some Gifters are under Tama's control who may become one of Momo's new retainers. World Government may reconsider their invasion once they realize Momo is the rightful Shogun with similar dragon powers to Kaido and having a combined army. Plus some Big Mom Pirates are still at the entrance of Wano which would only make invasion more difficult.
    Bounty: 382M Quirks: High Places | Garchu
    Roles: Ship Guard | Ship's Cat | Lookout
    Clues: Ch 175 | Statue | Foxy Flag | Paw DF
    Dreams: Travel w/ PK | The Dawn
    Survival: Moon Resurrection | Will of P

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Yamato being tied to Ace is not an afterthought.

It means one of two outcomes happens.

Either Yamato is now on Ace and Sabo's level as another brother to Luffy and will be major important character for the rest of the story. IE meaning they are not staying on fucking Wano.

Or he is joining Luffy as a nice cap ender of the crew with major relation points to one of the few people who matters to Luffy the most.

Like there really is no question that Yamato is not staying on Wano. People need to get this through their thick skulls. It's fanfiction level nonsense.

Edit: But also side point? The WG is gonna have Wano is their hands at the end of the arc, they will not stand for a child of Kaido being on the payroll. Like not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonouchi View Post
    The Strawhat Grand Fleet is pretty clearly just for the Drssrosa Cast.

Everyone bonded and followed Luffy throughout the arc and all made the decision to follow them even Bellamy got a piece of the Vivre Card and its made mention that they would perform a great act.

Its pretty clear the Grand Fleet is not expanding.
    But Luffy didn't accept them as subordinates. I think the premise for the Grand Fleet is pretty neat. They are a bunch of people that literally are following Luffy. There is nothing besides limiting yourself, to think that the Straw Hats will not affect more people like they did with the fleet.

That's why I think the way to distinguish the fleet from other allies is Luffy's vivre card. People that receive the card will have formed deep bonds with Luffy,
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

I will still stand by my original position in believing that both Carrot and Yamato will join. But I won't argue that Yamato has a very powerful case. Also, even though unlikely, I like this theory a lot regarding Carrot and how she could be pretty useful if she were to join:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/pjr0qe/modifying_the_sannigo_j%C5%AB_san_ko_sunny_13_theo ry/

Love the whole comparison that Carrot's normal form is like a cheerful "sun" form, and the Sulong is a confident "moon" form, and like Wanda, is a living connection of day and night.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Usopp's followers and the grand fleet are the same thing.
    I don't agree since the main guys pledged their loyalty to Luffy not Usopp.

Why? Seems like an arbitrary criteria.
    Not anymore arbitrary than collecting 5600 first and then 2400 later.

2400 + 5600 = 8000. Which is equal to the lie. We just disagree that the fleet and Usopp followers are not the same. Could be, but I don't see it.

2400 + 5600 = 8000.[/quote]
    Yeah I don't think you get what I'm saying lol.

I'm not counting the 5600 at all and I don't think Usopp should be limited to only recruiting 2400 more followers for the rest of the series.

So Luffy's.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Yamato is joining and is the last crew member. That's all there is to say.

That and Oda should make him the First Mate and clearly say he is tied with Luffy as the strongest crew members.
    Now this would be a wilder turn of events.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

So for those that have some belief in the possibility of Yamato becoming a Straw Hat Pirate, when do you expect him to join? At the end of the Wano Arc? Or in a future arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    So for those that have some belief in the possibility of Yamato becoming a Straw Hat Pirate, when do you expect him to join? At the end of the Wano Arc? Or in a future arc?
    End of Wano. The entire idea of Yamato's character is that he can't sail, so his joining moment needs to be followed with the joy of departing for the 1st time from Wano for maximum impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Rich View Post
    Yamato is a huge question mark. Actually, multiple question marks.

Yamato does not have any significant foreshadowing, especially before Wano. For perspective, Brook and Jinbe have been alluded to in some form near the beginning of the series.
    I'm not sure this matters. Like why? Is it really some unwritten thing?

Most are brought up either by name or a want of their position. Well Roger didn't know he'd need a poneglyph translator his first go around and then he went and found Oden hoping he was the guy. Yamato is going around proclaiming to be Oden, well now Luffy us getting one.

The Ace connection is not exclusive as Yamato and Tama interacted with Ace during his visit to Wano in the past. Besides, not even all the Strawhats met Ace being Robin, Franky, and Brook. The most profound Ace connection was with Jinbe during Impel Down and Marineford as so much went down emotionally for Luffy. Yamato's Ace connection is more of an afterthought.[/quote]
    LOL

Yamato's Ace connection is the reason why Luffy even stopped and listened to him.

A big question is Yamato's ship role. Yamato as a stonemason does not connect. That is a skill passed on through Kozuki family members, not impersonators, which it seems Oden took to his grave. Only way that could happen IMO is if Momonosuke learns the craft somehow (Oden's Journal?) and then teaches Yamato. But why would Momo do that? A shipguard is probably the best guess but it has been mentioned that the ship guard would miss the land adventures being stuck guarding Sunny.
    You could just wait. Could end up being way more simple.

Yamato is "Oden" but admitted Luffy was more "Oden" than Yamato. Kozuki Momonosuke is actually Kozuki Oden's son which should make Momo more "Oden" than Luffy. So shouldn't Yamato follow the most Oden-like person? What does Yamato love more: freedom to travel by sea or Oden? I think it's a good question. I'm leaning Oden. Yamato is emulating Oden including his desire to travel. Oden was able to travel with his family by sea on Whitebeard's and Roger's ships. But can Yamato do both travel the sea and "be Oden?"
    Yamato never said he wanted to follow someone who was more like Oden than him.

Also dont think you fully get what Yamato likes about Oden or what he identifies with when it comes to Oden's story. Momo is not more "Oden" than Luffy.

Don't get the question about if Yamato can be Oden and go out to sea. He asked Luffy specifically to leave on his ship after they beat Kaido. Oden went out to sea alone first then had a family along the way. Exactly why can't Yamato go out to sea?

Well, Shinobu already alluded to Momo looking like Oden. Maybe instead Yamato can "be Oden" by being with Momonosuke. Yamato can continue mentoring Momonosuke on his dragon powers. Both are guardian deities of Wano. Both are physically 28 years old. Yamato is 8'8" while Kozuki Oden was 12'6" so Momo has the chance to be taller. Momo is now a MAN! That perverted boy who has felt up Nami and Robin was also pressed up on Yamato's back and seen Yamato's exposed chest. The Peerless Peach and Oni Princess marriage may create a mighty military of Wano warriors and Beast Pirates (minus Kaido, the Allstars, and Topi Roppo). Recall some Gifters are under Tama's control who may become one of Momo's new retainers. World Government may reconsider their invasion once they realize Momo is the rightful Shogun with similar dragon powers to Kaido and having a combined army. Plus some Big Mom Pirates are still at the entrance of Wano which would only make invasion more difficult.
    Don't see how any of this is being like Oden.

When did Oden marry an 8 year old in an adult's body? Then form a mighty military?

The rest really doesn't have to involve Yamato at all. Besides it seems the world gov. via CP0 already know Momo is Oden's son and has Vegapunk's created copy of the dragon devil fruit.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    End it now and just do it by the end of the arc.

I'd hate another Jimbe type joining. Robin/Nami style at the worst.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Oh hey, new thread.

My position remains unchanged. Yamato's a lock as far as I'm concerned. I can't see him staying in Wano after the conclusion of the arc, and if he's going to leave, it'll be with the Strawhats. I might be willing to delay his "official" joining until after a hypothetical visit to Ace's grave, but if he's on the Sunny sailing away from Wano at the end of the arc, then for all intents and purposes, he's in.

My thoughts on Carrot have remained more or less the same since Wano started, which is to say that I don't find many of the standard arguments against her from back during Totland (boring character design, too similar to Chopper/Nami, lookout's not a real job, why be a Strawhat when she can pull the New Nox Pirates out of her *** and join the Grand Fleet, etc.) to be particularly compelling and have consistently felt that her chances would hinge on how she was handled over the course of Wano. And unfortunately, while I very much enjoy her character and think she could be a pretty good fit, how Carrot has been handled over the course of Wano leaves a lot to be desired. I can't see her tagging along post-Wano without joining the crew and Oda would have to pull a rabbit out of a hat (pun intended) to make Carrot joining the crew feel satisfying to me at this point, so either she's staying behind or Oda REALLY dropped the ball on her character arc (indeed, that may be the case regardless of whether she joins or not, but we shall see - Wano's not over yet). MAYBE he could make up for it by having Carrot join and giving her a lot of development in the next arc, but I'm dubious on that... Her chances look pretty slim to me, at this point.

And with that out of the way, I will also take the opportunity to reiterate that I think Vivi will be coming back in the near future, as a result of the events that went down at the Reverie, which we're sure to get some insight on during the Wano denouement or in the post-arc interlude. My personal headcanon puts the final crew total at thirteen, with Vivi being the last, so given that Yamato is pretty much locked in to my mind, if we drop Carrot from consideration, I suspect we have one more future Strawhat outstanding. I can't say I have any particular candidates for the proverbial #12 slot at present, though - either someone we meet VERY soon after Wano or someone we've known for quite a while already.
    Last edited by otakufan; October 19th, 2021 at 07:40 AM.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Just like they did with Franky. Then Jinbei. And we know how that went.
    Yamato will never threaten the Monster Trio dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I don't agree since the main guys pledged their loyalty to Luffy not Usopp.
    They follow both.

Not anymore arbitrary than collecting 5600 first and then 2400 later.
    How is that arbitrary? Jajaja. You are the one saying that "he should gain 8000 in one go". I am saying he will have 8000 and the process already started. The amount of followers he gains at one given time is inconsequential to the lie.

Yeah I don't think you get what I'm saying lol.
    Oh, I do get what you are saying, it is plainly obvious we just disagree.

I'm not counting the 5600 at all and I don't think Usopp should be limited to only recruiting 2400 more followers for the rest of the series.
    Yeah, seems odd that you wouldn't count them in, when they literally said they were following him till death. And it is because of Usopp that they are following Luffy.

Basically, you are saying that he hasn't acquired any follower and I am saying he has. Also, more than limiting to 2400, it is more about he still needs 2400 to reach his lie. If he goes beyond that then cool. It could even be used as a joke.

Usopp: "I have 8000 followers"
    *10000 show up*
    everyone: nani?!

So Luffy's.
    And Usopp's. They are not mutually exclusive. There is even a statue next to Luffy's.
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; October 19th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    They follow both.
    There's a clear hierarchy here.

How is that arbitrary? Jajaja.
    By definition.

You are the one saying that "he should gain 8000 in one go". I am saying he will have 8000 and the process already started. The amount of followers he gains at one given time is inconsequential to the lie.
    That's where I disagree. I'm saying it hasn't.

Yeah, seems odd that you wouldn't count them in, when they literally said they were following him till death. And it is because of Usopp that they are following Luffy.

Basically, you are saying that he hasn't acquired any follower and I am saying he has. Also, more than limiting to 2400, it is more about he still needs 2400 to reach his lie. If he goes beyond that then cool. It could even be used as a joke.

Usopp: "I have 8000 followers"
    *10000 show up*
    everyone: nani?!

And Usopp's. They are not mutually exclusive.
    It's Usopp's lie about himself. Not and Luffy.

By the way he stated the lie it pretty much makes it mutually exclusive.

The hierarchy doesn't matter. He is also Captain Usopp! No, wait: GOD USOPP!

I mean if he gets 8000 of his own, then amazing.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    Just like they did with Franky. Then Jinbei. And we know how that went.
    Yamato will never threaten the Monster Trio dynamic.
    What do you personally think would be threatened? That Zoro and Sanji will be treated as less important too?

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    What do you personally think would be threatened? That Zoro and Sanji will be treated as less important too?
    I don't think anything would be threatened. I'm assuming people think that Sanji would not get as much spotlight when it comes to fights -- and so ultimately not as much spotlight in the story overall.

Having said all that, I do not think Yamato is joining the crew.

It just makes sense though. And enough of this rhetoric of "haha Zoro the virile man is so fragile compared to a trans character" It's so edgy and cringe-worthy, we really don't need that.
    And I'm quoting this post but it's far from being the first time I see this kind of post.

Anyway, Oda seems to be giving to Sanji and Zoro proper power-ups in this arc. So, we'll see I guess
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    My thoughts on Carrot have remained more or less the same since Wano started, which is to say that I don't find many of the standard arguments against her from back during Totland (boring character design, too similar to Chopper/Nami, lookout's not a real job, why be a Strawhat when she can pull the New Nox Pirates out of her *** and join the Grand Fleet, etc.) to be particularly compelling and have consistently felt that her chances would hinge on how she was handled over the course of Wano. And unfortunately, while I very much enjoy her character and think she could be a pretty good fit, how Carrot has been handled over the course of Wano leaves a lot to be desired. I can't see her tagging along post-Wano without joining the crew and Oda would have to pull a rabbit out of a hat (pun intended) to make Carrot joining the crew feel satisfying to me at this point, so either she's staying behind or Oda REALLY dropped the ball on her character arc (indeed, that may be the case regardless of whether she joins or not, but we shall see - Wano's not over yet). MAYBE he could make up for it by having Carrot join and giving her a lot of development in the next arc, but I'm dubious on that... Her chances look pretty slim to me, at this point.
    Very well said.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information