View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

109 80.74%
  • No

26 19.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Jinbe is one of the strongest and most famous pirates in the world and he's just the helmsman, not disturbing anything.

And both Zoro and Sanji are in the middle of getting power ups right now against higher rank officers.
    I meant upsetting the dynamics in the sense that Yamato on top of the recently joined Jinbe makes the team very top heavy power-wise. I'd hate to see the weaker Strawhats get shafted (As they kinda have in this arc, so far) because the gap between them and the heavy hitters has gotten too large.

By the VILLAIN. No one with Yamato's actual interests in mind has brought it up.
    But there was no actual need to give Yamato that particular Devil Fruit unless there's an important reason. We just don't know what that reason is yet.

I'm not against Yamato joining, I'm just not seeing it as obvious as I thought I would.

You know all this talk of journals and what not makes me think that Yamato's role would obviously be scribe. No one's really recording the stories of the Strawhats. Having someone on the crew who would be enraptured enough by the stories of the Strawhats' previous exploits to write them all down, along with the final arcs, could be a fun role to see filled. Imagine Usopp giving interviews to Yamato as they sail X-D

But yeah, of all Yamato's directly stated desires and wishes, none of them are accomplished by staying in Wano. Heck, finding out that Momo and Oden's Samurai were all still alive actually allows her to offload her supposed duties to Wano
    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    He won't disobey if he dies, only if he dies when he dies!
    ***Because the madness that is AP Forums chapter discussions must not perish from the earth***

I'm new to this, but I'm curious about the history. People often mention how much Oda likes to surprise us, but in the end a lot of the broad strokes are pretty obvious. Has there ever been a time where the community as a whole thought something was going to happen only for Oda to go another way? For example, did most people think Vivi would join the crew permanently, or that the Merry would be the ship for the whole story, or that Ace would survive Marineford? My experience watching and reading for the past year is that Oda likes to surprise by dropping new information on top of what he's already built, rather than taking a big expectation and going a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirxxx View Post
    You know all this talk of journals and what not makes me think that Yamato's role would obviously be scribe. No one's really recording the stories of the Strawhats. Having someone on the crew who would be enraptured enough by the stories of the Strawhats' previous exploits to write them all down, along with the final arcs, could be a fun role to see filled. Imagine Usopp giving interviews to Yamato as they sail X-D

But yeah, of all Yamato's directly stated desires and wishes, none of them are accomplished by staying in Wano. Heck, finding out that Momo and Oden's Samurai were all still alive actually allows her to offload her supposed duties to Wano
    I keep seeing this and I have two issues with it. One, Yamato has only shown the ability to read a journal. That's a skill that everyone in the series has. Nothing has been shown that indicates that Yamato actually has a desire to write anything. Secondly, what would be the point of someone writing the last chapter in a book when they had no idea what happened before that last chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I keep seeing this and I have two issues with it. One, Yamato has only shown the ability to read a journal. That's a skill that everyone in the series has. Nothing has been shown that indicates that Yamato actually has a desire to write anything. Secondly, what would be the point of someone writing the last chapter in a book when they had no idea what happened before that last chapter?
    My response to these issues would be: Oden never showed any aptitude or interest in reading or writing beyond knowing the language of the Poneglyphs, yet his log is a central plot device in Wano. Oden's log also missed Roger's entire journey until the final leg, including his encounter with Rocks and his first trip around the Grand Line. Luffy and the Strawhats probably have much more to do before the end of Luffy's journey than what Oden recorded of Roger by comparison.

Regardless of how you feel about who writes the ship's log, the idea of having a log has been in Oda's mind since Baratie. Noland's log helped them in Jaya, and now Oden's log is helping them Wano. Despite this, we haven't seen a hint of anyone in the Strawhats writing about the story of their journey (I'm not counting Nami drawing maps).

Voted no. Yamato isn't joining. Carrot isn't either. I will delete my Arlong Park forums account if either of those characters join.

You all are lying to yourselves if you want someone journaling the SH adventures and it not being the combined efforts of Usopp and Big News F. Morgan.

I don't think Oda has ever been secretive about whom is going to join. I started weekly at Impel Down and I caught up on a weekend read. I was also never spoiled on anything about the story, besides the volume covers, which a briefly checked. Honestly, I only started checking them more after joining the forums. I personally don't like meta hints, I prefer the actual story to show me what I need to know. Which is why I am not a fan of the SBS having the answers to some in story questions.

I also am not seeking them out or wonder with every new character. Like during those two days reading, the question was on my mind, but I was not looking for clues. Oda's writing style, was pretty straight, no chaser. I also didn't have weeks to speculate, so the following is more how I read the events. There is a difference between reading Robin stowing away and her saying I wanna live, in a span of few hours vs years.

Zoro: Luffy searched for him. Plus volume cover.
    Nami: Chapter title, navigator that steals from pirates. Volume cover.
    Usopp: Chapter title. Central to his introduction arc.
    Sanji: Cook not dressed like a cook. All the other chefs look like fodder, and the other two, were there two? Are like elite fodder at best. Besides, central to the current mission/arc: finding a cook. Inherits Zeff's will.

Chopper:
    Looking for a doctor, Doctorine was too experienced in world affairs (Will of D.), and she had a disciple in Chopper. (Also, talking reindeer).

Robin:
    Important since her introduction by position in BW. Saves Luffy, which makes you question her goals, and at the end you wonder where she will go with marines surrounding everyone and Bon-chan ready to be sacrificed. Not to mention second time hearing about the mysteries of the world. Kureha says the Will of D. And Croco is looking for Ancient Weapons/poneglyphs which Robin can read. At the very least we would see her again.

Franky:
    Franky made an impression from the start, much more than any other shipwright. Like the twist for me was that he dismantles things, but we soon learn that he is Tom's disciple, do it with DON and a thong. Anyways, I was too focused on everything else, especially Usopp and Robin to even care about finding the new kid. By the end of this arc, the shipwright would prove themselves anyways. Who is Paulie?

Brooke:
    I mean Luffy asked from the get go, and to distinguish from the impromptu request Luffy does as a joke, Brooke was actually a depressed human trapped for over 50 years, Luffy is the right person to help said skeleton.

Jimbe:
    I've been a fan from the start. At this point I am reading weekly and I used to post in other forums. Before the crew split, the slavery/Nami relations with Fishmen/Mermen made me think that someone from that race should join. Fishman Island was the next destination, I was looking forward to a recruitment there. Luffy is starting to be positioned as someone pivotal in the upcoming war and breaker of status quo. I started thinking of Jimbe as an option by his strong introduction, and the relations between humans and his kind and how is Luffy involved. When we see Ace asking Jimbe to look after Luffy, I just couldn't think of anyone better. I think it is easy to see why he was delayed joining, put Jimbe in any of the previous arcs from the get go, it becomes even easier for the SHs. They wouldn't even have made it to Punk Hazard.

I just made a huge post with my current takes in the previous thread but to summarize.

No new crew member in sight, but Yamato is the only candidate since Jimbe, because again, who the hell is Paulie?

My prediction for Yamato: They will receive Luffy's vivre card. Hence, becoming part of the fleet. The fleet is comprised of a bunch of followers, and people have mentioned that Yamato's relationship is more lopsided in regards to Luffy. However, I could see Yamato and Luffy sharing a sake cup in front of Ace's grave, with Yamato leaving something there.

Yamato actually proves the point that the "too late" argument is an arbitrary rule as Oda is highly capable of making a likeable character and have people cheer for them even this -late- in the game.
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; October 18th, 2021 at 01:11 PM.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Franky: Franky made an impression from the start, much more than any other shipwright. Like the twist for me was that he dismantles things, but we soon learn that he is Tom's disciple, do it with DON and a thong. Anyways, I was too focused on everything else, especially Usopp and Robin to even care about finding the new kid. By the end of this arc, the shipwright would prove themselves anyways. Who is Paulie?
    As well as Oda leading with confusion, so that it would be less easy and thus less boring to know 100% as to who would join.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    As well as Oda leading with confusion, so that it would be less easy and thus less boring to know 100% as to who would join.

https://i.ibb.co/FBg0JN5/Screen-Shot...1-49-30-PM.png
    These kind of quotes are why the log keeper role makes the most sense to me. Logs have been around since before chapter 50, and I could imagine Oda thinking something like "The one who wrote Roger's log will be one of the ones who wrote the true history, and this is how Luffy will find his log keeper" early on in the writing of the manga, and the time it's taken to get to Wano has just ballooned as the world grew. The rest of the details of Oden and Yamato could have been fleshed out as their appearance got closer, which would explain why they feel like last minute or self-insert characters to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    My response to these issues would be: Oden never showed any aptitude or interest in reading or writing beyond knowing the language of the Poneglyphs, yet his log is a central plot device in Wano. Oden's log also missed Roger's entire journey until the final leg, including his encounter with Rocks and his first trip around the Grand Line. Luffy and the Strawhats probably have much more to do before the end of Luffy's journey than what Oden recorded of Roger by comparison.

Regardless of how you feel about who writes the ship's log, the idea of having a log has been in Oda's mind since Baratie. Noland's log helped them in Jaya, and now Oden's log is helping them Wano. Despite this, we haven't seen a hint of anyone in the Strawhats writing about the story of their journey (I'm not counting Nami drawing maps).
    Umm... It was his decision to write the journal. The journal wasn't written by someone else about Oden. Shinobu, Momo, and the samurai with Yamato also read Oden's journal. I read books all the time. Does that mean I can write one? Nope. People are conflating a person's ability to read with their capability to write. And that's still besides the fact that getting someone to write the final chapter in a book that hasn't even been started yet doesn't make much sense. Plus, Yamato has still shown zero interest in writing anything.

At this point, I'd honestly be surprised if Yamato didn't join; I've seen some people bring up alternatives, but none of them have really made sense for me.

* stay in Wano as the shogun/guardian deity? Yamato's current goal is to get out of Wano as quickly as possible, and the only person pushing for Yamato to act as the shogun or guardian of Wano is Kaidou.

* stay in Wano as Momo's bodyguard? Momo already has the Nine Red Scabbards, Shinobu, various Kozuki loyalists, and in all likelihood he'll also have Tama and the Gifters to protect him, on top of him being physically older and having a better understanding of his DF. Not sure if the people who say this think that all of the Scabbards are going to die - if that's the case, I'm not sure if those people have read One Piece.

* form a crew with ex-Beast Pirates and join the Grand Fleet? Yamato's dislike of the Beast Pirates seems pretty clear, and it's getting exhausting to see the Grand Fleet get used as a dumping ground for potential crewmates because the commenter doesn't like them or want them to join. (Ex. "Despite a decade of build-up, Jinbei's going to join the Grand Fleet with his former crew instead of becoming an actual Straw Hat Pirate!" "Despite being among the youngest and least experienced of the Minks, Carrot's going to form the New Nox Pirates and they'll join the Grand Fleet!")

* setting out to sea solo? Luffy only survived that by pure luck in the East Blue, and this is the New World. Yamato's never even left Wano, as far as we know, and hasn't left Onigashima since the age of eight. Yamato's sailing knowledge, navigational skills, etc. are likely non-existent.

* dying? I don't even know why people would seriously consider this an option, but it gets brought up from time to time, at least on Reddit.

I'd like to see Carrot join the crew as well (she seems like she'd be a fun addition, she has some build-up towards the lookout position (which hasn't been filled on the Straw Hat crew), she's already gotten parallels with how Nekomamushi and Inuarashi joined Whitebeard and Roger, and it would be bizarrely downbeat and mean-spirited for Oda to end off her plotline with Carrot being told that she's worthless garbage and having the story do nothing to refute this), but unless she starts getting focus, I'm guessing that it won't happen. (at the very least, it's hard for me to be optimistic when her storyline that had been built up since WCI and followed through with seems to have ended with Carrot losing off-screen, and Perospero getting beaten by someone with no connection to the events at WCI while Carrot contributes absolutely nothing)
    Last edited by Megadoomer; October 18th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.

These kind of quotes are why the log keeper role makes the most sense to me. Logs have been around since before chapter 50, and I could imagine Oda thinking something like "The one who wrote Roger's log will be one of the ones who wrote the true history, and this is how Luffy will find his log keeper" early on in the writing of the manga, and the time it's taken to get to Wano has just ballooned as the world grew. The rest of the details of Oden and Yamato could have been fleshed out as their appearance got closer, which would explain why they feel like last minute or self-insert characters to some.
    I'm still not sure about that. While Yamato has been interested in Oden's logbook, I don't actually get the sense she's actually interested in writing and logging info in general, as well as not displaying skills in engaging in anything like that either. Early arcs usually display or at least hint at an interest and skills in a potential recruit's profession, because even Whiskey Peak displayed Robin's knack at acquiring hard to get methods for reaching destinations and also passing on important info like Crocodile's identity, in addition to an interest in translating poneglyphs at Alabasta.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I'm still not sure about that. While Yamato has been interested in Oden's logbook, I don't actually get the sense she's actually interested in writing and logging info in general, as well as not displaying skills in engaging in anything like that either. Early arcs usually display or at least hint at an interest and skills in a potential recruit's profession, because even Whiskey Peak displayed Robin's knack at acquiring hard to get methods for reaching destinations and also passing on important info like Crocodile's identity, in addition to an interest in translating poneglyphs at Alabasta.
    So is Robin's role intel gatherer or Poneglyph reader? If you want to give multiple roles, then you can tack on combatant for Yamato as well, as we've seen plenty of that. Poneglyph reading didn't appear until nearly 100 chapters after Robin's introduction, and the actual need for Poneglyph reading didn't appear for more than 500 chapters after that. That gives Yamato 50 more chapters to show an interest in writing and still beat Robin's time.

Also, while Yamato hasn't specifically shown the desire to write, he has told his own story to Luffy and the story of meeting Ace and learning about Luffy to Momonosuke and Shinobu. You could argue this shows Yamato's interest in storytelling. Oda has also gone out of his way in recent chapters to show extra reaction panels of Yamato witnessing things on the roof, to the point that I've seen people complain about wasted panel space. This could be Oda emphasizing the importance of Yamato witnessing the events that will soon be legendary.

Not going to engage in discussion at present but since the poll is binary in regards to Yamato, just going to state my opinions here (again) for posterity.

_____
    -Voting NO in the poll.
    -I believe Carrot will join and that Yamato will not because it seems the most narratively logical to me. I admittedly want Carrot to join so infer any biases from that that you will.
    -I do like Yamato and would like for her to join the crew in addition to Carrot, although I don't see that as likely or as good for the story.
    -I actually sort of expect Yamato to join and Carrot to not but that's just because I'm a pessimist.
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    * form a crew with ex-Beast Pirates and join the Grand Fleet? Yamato's dislike of the Beast Pirates seems pretty clear, and it's getting exhausting to see the Grand Fleet get used as a dumping ground for potential crewmates because the commenter doesn't like them or want them to join. (Ex. "Despite a decade of build-up, Jinbei's going to join the Grand Fleet with his former crew instead of becoming an actual Straw Hat Pirate!" "Despite being among the youngest and least experienced of the Minks, Carrot's going to form the New Nox Pirates and they'll join the Grand Fleet!")
    There are more chances for characters to join the grand fleet than the Straw Hats. There's at least 2000+ more members to join. I like how offering a possibility to join the grand fleet = hate character, doesn't want them. It is brought back again and again. I feel it is an honor to join the fleet. People need to stop thinking this is some personal crusade against *insert character* just because we don't agree on the outcome. Jimbe was officially invited to join the crew even before the fleet existed, so obviously those comments are better to be ignored.

However, in terms of Carrot, she is more likely to be part of the fleet, and because she did adventure with the SH, she may even receive her own vivre card, instead of being part of the "Samurai/Mink/Ninja Pirate" group. I see her current character as an explorer. Travels alone, or becomes Neko's right hand. Experience means nothing when you have Luffy as a captain and protagonist. One Piece isn't that serious, if Carrot wants to sail out to sea and explore the world. She will do it. If she asks friends to go with her, some of them will say yes. If after details of the Dawn, poneglyphs, the Minks and everyone there get a new objective supporting Luffy, and if Carrot offers herself to be part of a crew affiliated with the fleet to honor Pedro, his crusade with the Nox pirates and Carrot has to live up to Pedro's shoes, gain responsibility, etc. Like damn, Barto calls his grandma to handle hazards at sea. It ain't that serious.

The Nox pirates would have been part of the fleet under Pedro. Isn't Carrot (and Pekoms) the best people to inherit Pedro's position as an ally to the SH because of the events of WCI.

---

Questions for anybody:

- Do you think that there will be more members to the fleet?
    - Do you think that the people of Wano/Zou will form a pirate crew to join the fleet?
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    - Do you think that there will be more members to the fleet?
    - Do you think that the people of Wano/Zou will form a pirate crew to join the fleet?
    -The language here makes me think the Grand Fleet isn't going to change:

-I do think the people of Wano/Zou will form their own army, as one of Yamato's stated goals was to unleash the force of the samurai onto the world. However, I think this will be an army of Wano which is loyal to Momonosuke, not one which follows Luffy.

-The language here makes me think the Grand Fleet isn't going to change:
    https://i.imgur.com/LhZq3XI.png
    -I do think the people of Wano/Zou will form their own army, as one of Yamato's stated goals was to unleash the force of the samurai onto the world. However, I think this will be an army of Wano which is loyal to Momonosuke, not one which follows Luffy.
    How do you reconcile the fact that the fleet are literally followers of Usopp and one of Usopp biggest lies is that he has 8000 followers. The current fleet has 5600.

Do you not believe in Usopp's lies?

The same way the Tonttatas have an army but there is also a pirate crew in the fleet. The people of Wano will have their army. But the focus is if any of them will switch their main loyalty to Luffy like the fleet captains did.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    As far as siblings go, there's nothing saying Yamato didn't form that bond with a human when he was young and traded sake cups to become siblings. Still a bit more to be revealed about his past. Could still work in to everything Kaido has said and Yamato's protests. The death of a sibling being a part of his tragic past would only closer parallel his story with Luffy's.
    Hmm could be, although with the mention Kaido did of everyone that gets close to Yamato dies. I would expect something as important as a sibling to be mentioned. At least more than the random soldier that gave them food.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

I'm new to this, but I'm curious about the history. People often mention how much Oda likes to surprise us, but in the end a lot of the broad strokes are pretty obvious. Has there ever been a time where the community as a whole thought something was going to happen only for Oda to go another way? For example, did most people think Vivi would join the crew permanently, or that the Merry would be the ship for the whole story, or that Ace would survive Marineford? My experience watching and reading for the past year is that Oda likes to surprise by dropping new information on top of what he's already built, rather than taking a big expectation and going a different way.
    I think the best example of a time when Oda completely subverted expectations was Ace's death. I remember pretty much no one expected the rescue mission to fail, and a lot of people were still waiting for Ivankov to heal him next chapter or another cop out, given Oda''s track record handling death (even though that would be narratively ridiculous).

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    At this point, I'd honestly be surprised if Yamato didn't join; I've seen some people bring up alternatives, but none of them have really made sense for me.

* stay in Wano as the shogun/guardian deity? Yamato's current goal is to get out of Wano as quickly as possible, and the only person pushing for Yamato to act as the shogun or guardian of Wano is Kaidou.

* stay in Wano as Momo's bodyguard? Momo already has the Nine Red Scabbards, Shinobu, various Kozuki loyalists, and in all likelihood he'll also have Tama and the Gifters to protect him, on top of him being physically older and having a better understanding of his DF. Not sure if the people who say this think that all of the Scabbards are going to die - if that's the case, I'm not sure if those people have read One Piece.

* setting out to sea solo? Luffy only survived that by pure luck in the East Blue, and this is the New World. Yamato's never even left Wano, as far as we know, and hasn't left Onigashima since the age of eight. Yamato's sailing knowledge, navigational skills, etc. are likely non-existent.

* dying? I don't even know why people would seriously consider this an option, but it gets brought up from time to time, at least on Reddit.

I'd like to see Carrot join the crew as well (she seems like she'd be a fun addition, she has some build-up towards the lookout position (which hasn't been filled on the Straw Hat crew), she's already gotten parallels with how Nekomamushi and Inuarashi joined Whitebeard and Roger, and it would be bizarrely downbeat and mean-spirited for Oda to end off her plotline with Carrot being told that she's worthless garbage and having the story do nothing to refute this), but unless she starts getting focus, I'm guessing that it won't happen. (at the very least, it's hard for me to be optimistic when her storyline that had been built up since WCI and followed through with seems to have ended with Carrot losing off-screen, and Perospero getting beaten by someone with no connection to the events at WCI while Carrot contributes absolutely nothing)
    Putting Carrot aside, I have said that Yamato's fate would likely be tied to Wano (not Onigashima) since his/her intro. This was before the DF was revealed and before the WG recently claimed they wanted Wano for themselves. There are several reasons why I don't believe that Yamato was built for anything beyond the Wano arc, but I won't go over those all now. Here's a smaller, meta one related to his DF.

The wolf as god is above all worshipped under the name of Ooguchi no Magami, 大口真神, the "Large-Mouthed Pure God" (magami まかみ/真神 [Kanji: 'true-god'] is also an archaic version of ōkami, 'wolf'); 大口, ōguchi means 'big mouth'). Once he was a very popular god and still today he is worshipped at some shrines, like Mitsumine, Ryogami Shrine and Mitake. There, the komainu - the shrine guardians - have the form of a wolf (see images below)...

Ancient historic accounts from Japan report this mythical story how the wolf deity, a white wolf (白狼, shirōkami), in times of need suddenly appeared to Yamato Takeru, son of Emperor Keikko (around AD100). Takaru got lost on a road near Mitakesan (御嶽山) when a local demon shapeshifted into a white deer (白鹿) and obstructed the road. The white wolf showed him the way and let his army on the right path, "and Takeru commanded the white wolf to stay in Mitakesan as a true god, in order to slay any local demons."
    Edit: Source. I forgot who around her originally posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Robin being stronger than both Zoro and Sanji was debatable and I wasn't around here back then making that argument. And I made no mention of bounties because the only thing worth less than "powerscalers" are those that think bounties actually mean much. Ask Jack or Kid or anyone else with inflated bounties.

I'm not sure how you can flip any perceptions when we've seen Zoro tank one combined yonko attack and then essentially have every bone in his body broken and need some sort of miracle drug just to move. If it was Yamato, he/she would've shrugged it off and went on the attack. That's my point. Yamato having mastered CoC haki, having a strong DF, and going toe to toe with Kaido for who knows how long vs Zoro having his bones broken in one attack and showing a split second of CoC clearly shows that Yamato is stronger than Luffy's always strongest crew mate.

On a side note, you need to calm down. This is supposed to be a place for civil discussions.
    How are you not sure about how Oda would flip perception he literally did it for Robin and Jinbe and shut the powerscalers up. Even beyond that as mentioned it literally is worthless and does not matter. Did Apoo KOing luffy flip perception to anyone with a brain? Literally the only people that went Apoo = Kaido tier after that are the some of the worst part of the community with the biggest brain rot.

Don't take it as me being not calm it's just to an extend how I tend to write about very dumb people. I just ain't about talking around certain types of foolery.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information