View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    113 81.29%
  • No

    26 18.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 955

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

  1. #21

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Here are the listed anti-Yamato arguments I can collect so far. Most of them sound ridiculous, but some are pretty good arguments. Let me summarize again:

    1. Goroawase DF pattern
    2. She doesn’t have specific role
    3. She is introduced too late
    4. Luffy calls her “Yamao” instead of “Yamato”. She is on the same level as Law & Kid
    5. Her DF is Wano’s guardian deity
    6. She read Oden’s journal. She knows too much especially about One Piece
    7. She is too strong. She will break monster trio dynamic
    8. She doesn’t interact with any other Straw Hats, only Luffy and briefly Franky

    I’ve posted the counter-arguments for about 5 of them. But I really want to know what pro-Yamato’s counter arguments regarding the arguments above.

  2. #22
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    Here are the listed anti-Yamato arguments I can collect so far. Most of them sound ridiculous, but some are pretty good arguments. Let me summarize again:

    1. Goroawase DF pattern
    2. She doesn’t have specific role
    3. She is introduced too late
    4. Luffy calls her “Yamao” instead of “Yamato”. She is on the same level as Law & Kid
    5. Her DF is Wano’s guardian deity
    6. She read Oden’s journal. She knows too much especially about One Piece
    7. She is too strong. She will break monster trio dynamic
    8. She doesn’t interact with any other Straw Hats, only Luffy and briefly Franky

    I’ve posted the counter-arguments for about 5 of them. But I really want to know what pro-Yamato’s counter arguments regarding the arguments above.
    1. Doesn't matter
    2. Wait
    3. Doesn't matter
    4. Doesn't matter and wait
    5. Doesn't matter
    6. Wrong and that's why it doesn't matter
    7. Wrong
    8. Wait
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  3. #23

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    1. Doesn't matter
    2. Wait
    3. Doesn't matter
    4. Doesn't matter and wait
    5. Doesn't matter
    6. Wrong and that's why it doesn't matter
    7. Wrong
    8. Wait

    As I said most arguments are ridiculous especially the name-calling. My most logical reason is that Luffy knew about Yamato & her name amidst the raid. We all should know that once Luffy is focused on dealing with the threat (in this case, to beat Kaido), anything else is secondary to him. Calling Yamato’s name correctly, and using it as an argument against the favor of Yamato joining instead of focusing on dealing the threat, it sounds ridiculous. I’m 100% sure once the raid is done, Kaido is being dealt with, Luffy will start calling her by her name correctly.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    I'm still not sold on Yamato one way or the other, unlike other candidates we've had over the years it just doesn't seem as obvious which way things will go (to me at least).
    For every "pro join" reason:- It's nice having a feminine top-tier fighter in the crew, they want to leave with Luffy and see the world etc. There seems to be an "anti join" counter:- Yamato might be too strong and would upset the dynamics of the crew, they may want to leave but they've been specifically called out as Wano's Guardian Deity etc.

    But on the other hand, I was hugely pro Perona back in the day (When it turned out she and Zoro wound up on the same island and spent the time skip together, it seemed so obvious she'd join up when the crew got back together), so what do I know?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    There seems to be an "anti join" counter:- Yamato might be too strong and would upset the dynamics of the crew
    Jinbe is one of the strongest and most famous pirates in the world and he's just the helmsman, not disturbing anything.

    And both Zoro and Sanji are in the middle of getting power ups right now against higher rank officers.

    they may want to leave but they've been specifically called out as Wano's Guardian Deity etc.
    By the VILLAIN. No one with Yamato's actual interests in mind has brought it up.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  6. #26
    Partly Sunny Syphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    Here are the listed anti-Yamato arguments I can collect so far. Most of them sound ridiculous, but some are pretty good arguments. Let me summarize again:

    1. Goroawase DF pattern
    2. She doesn’t have specific role
    3. She is introduced too late
    4. Luffy calls her “Yamao” instead of “Yamato”. She is on the same level as Law & Kid
    5. Her DF is Wano’s guardian deity
    6. She read Oden’s journal. She knows too much especially about One Piece
    7. She is too strong. She will break monster trio dynamic
    8. She doesn’t interact with any other Straw Hats, only Luffy and briefly Franky

    I’ve posted the counter-arguments for about 5 of them. But I really want to know what pro-Yamato’s counter arguments regarding the arguments above.
    1. May or may not be relevant. Oda revealing the existence of the idea in an SBS may be an expression of his intent to not follow it but merely plant the seed in the readers mind so that it makes it harder for readers to predict what he is going to do going forward. Following such an idea limits how Oda can craft his story.

    2. Yes, no expressed ship role yet. But neither did Jinbe until WCI (helmsman was only a possibility until it was confirmed). At present, Yamato's ship role could be many things, including a role that seemingly appears inconsequential at this point to the journey of the Straw Hat Pirates. Until we get further focus on what exactly Yamato can do beyond fighting (and making Vivre Cards), certainty remains lacking:
    - Fighter/Defender/Samurai
    - Stonemason
    - Den den Mushi-tuber/Marys-tuber - taking Oden's journal idea further by using state-of-the-art technology to create a visual recording of the journey to share with the world (the cakeOne Piece is no lie)
    - Vivre Card craftsman - why does such an item exist? Does the history of Vivre Cards relate back to the Ancient Civilisation? Can the application of Vivre Cards be expanded on like how science expands on the use of Devil Fruits (Chopper, Caesar, Queen, Vegapunk)? In the absence of a Log Pose route, would the presence of a Vivre Card craftsman be helpful?

    Yamato does have a potential story role going forward.

    3. Why is this a problem? And late in regards to what? The story? The saga? The arc?

    4. Why is this a problem? Luffy calls his crew members by their name when they become members. Set-up has been laid by Oda where Yamato will become part of the conflict between Kaido and Luffy. Kaido knows that if he wishes to break Yamato's spirit, he first needs to break Luffy. And Luffy is aware what Kaido represents to Yamato's freedom. When the emotional stakes are at their peak, that may be when the pay off happens e.g. climatic moment in the Kaido battle or at the end of the arc.

    5. The Wano Arc has been building up toward Momonosuke severing Wano from its history and directing it toward a path leading to the future. Wano's borders will be opened and with such an act, it will become part of the world once again. Wano will become a country that will be significant in the arrival of the "Dawn".

    The development of Yamato having a Devil Fruit representing a Guardian Deity of Wano as per Kaido, could exist because it has been set-up for Momonosuke to eventually sever such a shackle for Yamato (and help Wano move on from the past). Just as Ace helped sever Yamato's shackles toward accepting their desires, just as Luffy severed Yamato's shackles by removing the explosive bindings and defeating Kaido (will happen), just as the Samurai (Daimyo) severed Yamato's shackles by cutting the chains in the Sacred Cave and believing in Yamato, Momonosuke will sever Yamato's shackles by removing the notion of duty. At such a point, Yamato will have freedom to choose what to do. Yamato's Devil Fruit could be argued to have more to do with Momonosuke's story than keeping Yamato in Wano.

    6. Oden's journal is not a spoiler. Oden understood the importance of what was at stake and would not have included too much information in the journal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Considering Oden discovered the secrets of the world along with Roger, he would be aware of why the information the ancient civilisation knew wasn't openly shared and instead kept behind the text of the Poneglyphs that not anyone could read.

    Just as Roger didn't reveal the secrets of world during his execution. Just as the rest of the Roger Pirates didn't reveal the secrets of the world. I don't believe Oden would have revealed the secrets of the world either verbally or through his journal.

    Roger and Rayleigh knew the secrets of the world needed to be uncovered naturally through the journey. Oden would have felt the same which would have extended to what he wrote in his journal. Oden would have omitted the complete story of the Ancient Civilisation and only covered the brief details of his adventure and their discovery. The fact that Oden was resolved to opening the borders of Wano once he returned, he knew just like Roger what was at stake. I genuinely don't see Oden risking the Roger Pirates efforts by revealing all the secrets of the world in the journal.

    Oden included just enough information in his journal to help guide the next generation (such as Momonosuke and Hiyori and those who would inherit Joy Boy/Roger's will) to completing what "Joy Boy" started.
    Spoiler:



    7. How is Yamato's strength being measured? Because it is obviously not directly against Luffy, Zoro and Sanji. To compare the efforts of someone who fought Kaido for 20 years against someone who faced Kaido for the first (Zoro) or second (Luffy) time requires more reflection than a direct one in regards to the events taking place. Yamato learned Kaido's attacks and his body became familiar with his attacks beating after beating. Of course Yamato would have faired better against an opponent he fought for twenty plus years when compared with someone who only faced Kaido for one or two times. Lets also not forget that in contrast to what Kaido said, when he was fighting Yamato, Kaido didn't intend to kill him, Kaido was only attempting to physically, mentally and spiritually break Yamato until Yamato was submissive to his commands.

    Zoro is offensively stronger than Yamato based on the damage done to Kaido. And with Sanji's body undergoing a metamorphisis, his abilities and capabilities have increased.

    Rather than renounce a character of Yamato's strength joining the Straw Hat Pirates, readers should rejoice, as it would mean Zoro and Sanji get be highlighted more in battle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    When you think about who the Straw Hat Pirates are going to face when the Elbaf, Vegapunk, Laugh Tale, and World Government stories come into focus, it appears obvious why adding a strong character to the Straw Hat Pirates seems justified, appropriate and necessary.

    Yamato's addition in this very arc does not throw off the balance of the Straw Hat Pirates military might. It does not make them overpowered or the arc less exciting, rather it allows for tougher opponents to come to the forefront and enhance the thrill of the events. Proceeding arcs will function the same even if someone with Yamato's strength joins the Straw Hat Pirates.
    As for the general crew dynamics, Yamato joining may give more focus on Robin who has been criminally kept in the background for far too long. Yamato joining could also help add relevance to Jinbe presence’s in the crew. Yamato has been “imprisoned” for twenty years and there is no way that such a reality and past would not create emotional and mental scars within them. Jinbe has experience with being among former prisoners (Tiger, Koala and other Sun Pirates) so if Oda wanted it explored, he could have Jinbe help Yamato with any trauma and mental anguish they may have – Jinbe has helped Luffy through his mental trauma in the past. Robin after having met Koala (and being enslaved herself) may also have some insight in Yamato’s situation and be able to assist.

    8. If there ever was a character who could join the Straw Hat Pirates with limited interactions with any of the Straw Hat Pirates outside of Luffy, it would be a character themed around Kozuki Oden, a character who joined the Roger Pirates with only interacting with Roger.

    With that said, Yamato may yet get further interactions with the Straw Hat Pirates based on where he is currently heading - toward the Onigashima Skull dome.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    The strength argument is just god awful against Yams and Carrot both.
    TLDR Oda doesn't give a fuck you have 1000+ chapters to look back on and compare with the dumbass views of powerscalers and you'll notice people thinking they know anything about that and conduct their assessments as faux science are always wrong.
    The leeway for characters to be as strong or weak as they need to be is massive. Luffy got knocked out by goddamn Apoo this arc alone before he went toe to toe against Kaido. So I don't see how people still earnestly believe in power scaling garbage. It's absolute nonsense.
    Lastly fucking Jinbe. Learn from the past folks. Power as in X is too weak or strong to join because it will upset the previous power dynamic will never be a good argument.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    1. Doesn't matter
    2. Wait
    3. Doesn't matter
    4. Doesn't matter and wait
    5. Doesn't matter
    6. Wrong and that's why it doesn't matter
    7. Wrong
    8. Wait
    Brevity is key hehe

    Agree with Zik.

    Too late to the story doesn't matter. He is but it's a non-issue. Yamato is joining.

    Role/occupation in the ship doesn't matter. Never explicitly stated that they needed a helmsman yet they have Jinbe fill that role. Characterization comes first. The role is secondary and something we'll accept whatever Oda will have Yamato do.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Well, I was just collecting the most occurring arguments against the favor of Yamato joining. And like I said, most of them are ridiculous.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    1. May or may not be relevant. Oda revealing the existence of the idea in an SBS may be an expression of his intent to not follow it but merely plant the seed in the readers mind so that it makes it harder for readers to predict what he is going to do going forward. Following such an idea limits how Oda can craft his story.

    2. Yes, no expressed ship role yet. But neither did Jinbe until WCI (helmsman was only a possibility until it was confirmed). At present, Yamato's ship role could be many things, including a role that seemingly appears inconsequential at this point to the journey of the Straw Hat Pirates. Until we get further focus on what exactly Yamato can do beyond fighting (and making Vivre Cards), certainty remains lacking:
    - Fighter/Defender/Samurai
    - Stonemason
    - Den den Mushi-tuber/Marys-tuber - taking Oden's journal idea further by using state-of-the-art technology to create a visual recording of the journey to share with the world (the cakeOne Piece is no lie)
    - Vivre Card craftsman - why does such an item exist? Does the history of Vivre Cards relate back to the Ancient Civilisation? Can the application of Vivre Cards be expanded on like how science expands on the use of Devil Fruits (Chopper, Caesar, Queen, Vegapunk)? In the absence of a Log Pose route, would the presence of a Vivre Card craftsman be helpful?

    Yamato does have a potential story role going forward.

    3. Why is this a problem? And late in regards to what? The story? The saga? The arc?

    4. Why is this a problem? Luffy calls his crew members by their name when they become members. Set-up has been laid by Oda where Yamato will become part of the conflict between Kaido and Luffy. Kaido knows that if he wishes to break Yamato's spirit, he first needs to break Luffy. And Luffy is aware what Kaido represents to Yamato's freedom. When the emotional stakes are at their peak, that may be when the pay off happens e.g. climatic moment in the Kaido battle or at the end of the arc.

    5. The Wano Arc has been building up toward Momonosuke severing Wano from its history and directing it toward a path leading to the future. Wano's borders will be opened and with such an act, it will become part of the world once again. Wano will become a country that will be significant in the arrival of the "Dawn".

    The development of Yamato having a Devil Fruit representing a Guardian Deity of Wano as per Kaido, could exist because it has been set-up for Momonosuke to eventually sever such a shackle for Yamato (and help Wano move on from the past). Just as Ace helped sever Yamato's shackles toward accepting their desires, just as Luffy severed Yamato's shackles by removing the explosive bindings and defeating Kaido (will happen), just as the Samurai (Daimyo) severed Yamato's shackles by cutting the chains in the Sacred Cave and believing in Yamato, Momonosuke will sever Yamato's shackles by removing the notion of duty. At such a point, Yamato will have freedom to choose what to do. Yamato's Devil Fruit could be argued to have more to do with Momonosuke's story than keeping Yamato in Wano.

    6. Oden's journal is not a spoiler. Oden understood the importance of what was at stake and would not have included too much information in the journal.


    7. How is Yamato's strength being measured? Because it is obviously not directly against Luffy, Zoro and Sanji. To compare the efforts of someone who fought Kaido for 20 years against someone who faced Kaido for the first (Zoro) or second (Luffy) time requires more reflection than a direct one in regards to the events taking place. Yamato learned Kaido's attacks and his body became familiar with his attacks beating after beating. Of course Yamato would have faired better against an opponent he fought for twenty plus years when compared with someone who only faced Kaido for one or two times. Lets also not forget that in contrast to what Kaido said, when he was fighting Yamato, Kaido didn't intend to kill him, Kaido was only attempting to physically, mentally and spiritually break Yamato until Yamato was submissive to his commands.

    Zoro is offensively stronger than Yamato based on the damage done to Kaido. And with Sanji's body undergoing a metamorphisis, his abilities and capabilities have increased.

    Rather than renounce a character of Yamato's strength joining the Straw Hat Pirates, readers should rejoice, as it would mean Zoro and Sanji get be highlighted more in battle.


    As for the general crew dynamics, Yamato joining may give more focus on Robin who has been criminally kept in the background for far too long. Yamato joining could also help add relevance to Jinbe presence’s in the crew. Yamato has been “imprisoned” for twenty years and there is no way that such a reality and past would not create emotional and mental scars within them. Jinbe has experience with being among former prisoners (Tiger, Koala and other Sun Pirates) so if Oda wanted it explored, he could have Jinbe help Yamato with any trauma and mental anguish they may have – Jinbe has helped Luffy through his mental trauma in the past. Robin after having met Koala (and being enslaved herself) may also have some insight in Yamato’s situation and be able to assist.

    8. If there ever was a character who could join the Straw Hat Pirates with limited interactions with any of the Straw Hat Pirates outside of Luffy, it would be a character themed around Kozuki Oden, a character who joined the Roger Pirates with only interacting with Roger.

    With that said, Yamato may yet get further interactions with the Straw Hat Pirates based on where he is currently heading - toward the Onigashima Skull dome.
    I would’ve given likes for your reasonings as many times as I want, if only it were possible.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    Here are the listed anti-Yamato arguments I can collect so far. Most of them sound ridiculous, but some are pretty good arguments. Let me summarize again:

    1. Goroawase DF pattern
    2. She doesn’t have specific role
    3. She is introduced too late
    4. Luffy calls her “Yamao” instead of “Yamato”. She is on the same level as Law & Kid
    5. Her DF is Wano’s guardian deity
    6. She read Oden’s journal. She knows too much especially about One Piece
    7. She is too strong. She will break monster trio dynamic
    8. She doesn’t interact with any other Straw Hats, only Luffy and briefly Franky

    I’ve posted the counter-arguments for about 5 of them. But I really want to know what pro-Yamato’s counter arguments regarding the arguments above.
    Fact is that with the only exception of maybe point 2 and 6, these are all "meta" arguments. The actual text of the story meanwhile keeps emphasizing Yamato's resolve to leave Wano on the Sunny. Now something must happen also in-story for him to stay there, and the only to options are still (a) he changes his mind (and does exactly what his father wanted him to do, remains stuck in the same place he was imprisoned for 20 years) or (b) Luffy refuses him (why would he?). If this was another manga thare would also be c) he tragically dies, but we know we're not going there.

    The role can still be revealed, and we already have Robin there since forever doing nothing crucial for a pirate ship and it's never been a problem anyway.
    The journal we can now safely assume has no significant spoilers about the One Piece, or else we'd have to conclude that someoe like Shinobu currently has Rayleigh levels of insight on Laugh Tale. that would be kinda anticlimatic .

    So yeah, most of these don't even need to be actively counter-argumented, just ask "ok, so where do you think yamato's charachter arc is realistically going?".
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

  11. #31

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    I voted "Yes". And without meaning to offend anyone who disagrees, I feel that it's really, really an obvious call at this point.

    I realize this is a bit meta (and maybe , but the big thing for me when it comes to Yamato vs Carrot is how much can be done with them onboard in terms of gag moments, emotional moments, fight motivations, shonen battle moments etc, and Yamato just wins those handily imho.

    Oda to me is someone who almost always goes for the storytelling options that preserve the most potential down the road (which is a big part of why this series has gotten so big both in terms of scope and page count), and I feel that he has decided that Carrot didn't have as much potential as he originally envisioned, this type of thing happens in all sorts of serializations, an author thinks he's got the next big character, then gets to actually writing them and realizes there wasn't as much to them as he initially thought.

    I think when you look at Onigashima as an arc (it really should be named its own arc imo), you can really see which characters Oda enjoys working with, and which ones he doesn't.

    With all that said, I don't think Carrot is a completely lost case as a long-term Strawhat ally, she's clearly far, ar more developed than say, Inazuma, and will definitely be showing up again before the series is out.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    On the Oden's journal argument I feel like people are always explaining it away using in character logic and why a character knowing more wasn't an issue before etc. Which I think is fine but rather why not ask yourself why Oda would even include a literary device like that to begin with.
    What purpose would Oda have to include a logbook with all the answers left in the series? It's like omega ???????????????? It makes below 0 sense to expect that.
    The logbook will have some info drop that everyone is going to learn about at the end of the arc is what I expect but just conceptually to believe it holds all the answer about One Piece is just so weird. Like that's the equivalent of an author introducing an item that only serves to spoil the readers, why would Oda ever do that?

    The premise of the logbook holding all the knowledge that would bar Yamato from joining cause they'd be a living spoiler is just so extremely illogical to me. There is literally no point in Oda introducing something like that vs the much more reasonable premise that the logbook will hold 1 piece of info everyone is going to learn that might push the story forward or solve a lingering mystery people have been wondering about for a long time.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    SHINOBU knows what's in the diary now. It ain't that important. It's an insight to Oden's personality and drive, and basically what we saw as readers, and probably not much else.

    Its more important as a *personal* item rather than a lore item.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    The strength argument is just god awful against Yams and Carrot both.
    TLDR Oda doesn't give a fuck you have 1000+ chapters to look back on and compare with the dumbass views of powerscalers and you'll notice people thinking they know anything about that and conduct their assessments as faux science are always wrong.
    The leeway for characters to be as strong or weak as they need to be is massive. Luffy got knocked out by goddamn Apoo this arc alone before he went toe to toe against Kaido. So I don't see how people still earnestly believe in power scaling garbage. It's absolute nonsense.
    Lastly fucking Jinbe. Learn from the past folks. Power as in X is too weak or strong to join because it will upset the previous power dynamic will never be a good argument.
    Well, let's just say this. No one has ever joined the crew and were clearly stronger than both Zoro and Sanji. That dynamic hasn't changed in all this time. On FI, Jinbe fought on par with Sanji. On Onigashima, Jinbe fought a Flying Six member and Sanji is fighting a commander, which shows yet again that Zoro and Sanji are stronger than the newest member. Yamato would clearly break that dynamic. You say that Oda doesn't care, but he's certainly not shown it with the crew up to this point. It's always been Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, everyone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    2. Yes, no expressed ship role yet. But neither did Jinbe until WCI (helmsman was only a possibility until it was confirmed). At present, Yamato's ship role could be many things, including a role that seemingly appears inconsequential at this point to the journey of the Straw Hat Pirates. Until we get further focus on what exactly Yamato can do beyond fighting (and making Vivre Cards), certainty remains lacking:
    - Fighter/Defender/Samurai
    - Stonemason
    - Den den Mushi-tuber/Marys-tuber - taking Oden's journal idea further by using state-of-the-art technology to create a visual recording of the journey to share with the world (the cakeOne Piece is no lie)
    - Vivre Card craftsman - why does such an item exist? Does the history of Vivre Cards relate back to the Ancient Civilisation? Can the application of Vivre Cards be expanded on like how science expands on the use of Devil Fruits (Chopper, Caesar, Queen, Vegapunk)? In the absence of a Log Pose route, would the presence of a Vivre Card craftsman be helpful?

    Yamato does have a potential story role going forward.
    I (and a few others) actually predicted Jinbe would be a helmsman years ago. Here's my post from 2012.

    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=28386&p=2696244#post2696244


    Every SH has shown or had their role referenced within their first 20 chapters. Yamato hasn't shown anything obvious yet. Say what you will about Carrot or how useful her role would be, she at least has one that we can clearly see.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; October 18th, 2021 at 06:56 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    On the Oden's journal argument I feel like people are always explaining it away using in character logic and why a character knowing more wasn't an issue before etc. Which I think is fine but rather why not ask yourself why Oda would even include a literary device like that to begin with.
    What purpose would Oda have to include a logbook with all the answers left in the series? It's like omega ???????????????? It makes below 0 sense to expect that.
    The logbook will have some info drop that everyone is going to learn about at the end of the arc is what I expect but just conceptually to believe it holds all the answer about One Piece is just so weird. Like that's the equivalent of an author introducing an item that only serves to spoil the readers, why would Oda ever do that?

    The premise of the logbook holding all the knowledge that would bar Yamato from joining cause they'd be a living spoiler is just so extremely illogical to me. There is literally no point in Oda introducing something like that vs the much more reasonable premise that the logbook will hold 1 piece of info everyone is going to learn that might push the story forward or solve a lingering mystery people have been wondering about for a long time.

    Precisely. Instead of having that kind of logic against Yamato joining, they should ask themselves first: Why would Oden (Oda) put information as important as One Piece in a journal? Oden is a Poneglyph writer & reader, why he didn’t put those informations in any indestructible Poneglyph steles? Then what is the purpose of the Poneglyphs (especially Road Poneglyphs), if everything about One Piece is in the journal?
    Last edited by Devil Child 78; October 18th, 2021 at 06:57 AM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    It seems that a new remix of "Say my name" will be needed for Yamato.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

  17. #37

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Every SH has shown or had their role referenced within their first 20 chapters. Yamato hasn't shown anything obvious yet.
    • What's wrong with combatant? Some members have unique, irreplaceable roles, but Zoro is just combatant.
    • Robin appeared in Whiskey Peak, 30 chapters before the start of Alabasta. Her ability to read Poneglyphs was only revealed towards the end of Alabasta... but the value she added to the crew with this ability was only revealed in Zou, more than 500 chapters after she joined the crew. I'm not sure how your 20 chapters stat fits with these milestones.
    • Log keeper is an obvious pick which came up in Yamato's second chapter. People have argued that Nami or Robin could do this, but Nami was helmsman for 900 chapters as well.
    • Recently "guardian" has been discussed. Luffy sent Yamato to protect Momonosuke a few chapters after his introduction.
    I personally don't think it matters and Oda will do what he normally does and just making something up (sniper and archaeologist aren't real roles, didn't need a helmsman for 900 chapters), but the above are a few obvious ways Oda could take it.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Well, let's just say this. No one has ever joined the crew and were clearly stronger than both Zoro and Sanji. That dynamic hasn't changed in all this time. On FI, Jinbe fought on par with Sanji. On Onigashima, Jinbe fought a Flying Six member and Sanji is fighting a commander, which shows yet again that Zoro and Sanji are stronger than the newest member. Yamato would clearly break that dynamic. You say that Oda doesn't care, but he's certainly not shown it with the crew up to this point. It's always been Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, everyone else.
    Bollocks. When Robin joined there was 100% power scaling shittery about how she is stronger than Zoro, higher bounty blablabla all that nonsense and as always Oda didn't give a fuck and just went on to tell his story. Same shit for Jinbe people talking all about he is too strong to join well what do you know he joined.
    History is repeating itself here with Yamato. Oda can flip perception with ease and he has done so dozen of times making people still trying to power scale to this day just look immensely foolish to me.

    Also you didn't get the point. I'm saying Oda doesn't care for what the fanbase perceives are the power levels. He literally doesn't give a fuck or how do you explain Ulti drawing with Luffy, the Apoo thing, etc etc. Hence people insisting Yamato is too strong to join are just full of shit as people that insisted robin is too strong/stronger as well as Jinbe. It's a garbage tier argument. The same way Carrot being to weak to join is a garbage tier argument.
    Oda will bend characters powers as he likes cause in the end that shit doesn't matter to the degree all the dumb powerscalers like to pretend it does.

    Kinda using strong language because reading the type of discussion that happen in these power scaling circles you literally feel your braincells rotting away.
    Heck it wasn't too fucking long ago when I saw in the discussions on here certain people being upset at Kaido being a wimp cause he got punched by Luffy. Bonafide powerscaling dumbassery. ~30 chapters later they're all silent now.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 18th, 2021 at 07:36 AM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Bollocks. When Robin joined there was 100% power scaling shittery about how she is stronger than Zoro, higher bounty blablabla all that nonsense and as always Oda didn't give a fuck and just went on to tell his story. Same shit for Jinbe people talking all about he is too strong to join well what do you know he joined.
    History is repeating itself here with Yamato. Oda can flip perception with ease and he has done so dozen of times making people still trying to power scale to this day just look immensely foolish to me.

    Also you didn't get the point. I'm saying Oda doesn't care for what the fanbase perceives are the power levels. He literally doesn't give a fuck or how do you explain Ulti drawing with Luffy, the Apoo thing, etc etc. Hence people insisting Yamato is too strong to join are just full of shit as people that insistent robin is too strong/stronger as well as Jinbe. It's a garbage tier argument. The same way Carrot being to weak to join is a garbage tier argument.
    Oda will bend characters powers as he likes cause in the end that shit doesn't matter to the degree all the dumb powerscalers like to pretend it does.
    People point to Jinbe's delayed joining as being proof that Oda cares about power scaling, but one example doesn't prove anything. It could just as easily be that Oda thought Law's strong personality wouldn't have mixed well with Jinbe (Punk Hazard and Dressrosa), and that he just didn't want to have to have to come up with a way to disguise Jinbe in Wano (Kawamatsu was discriminated against for being a fishman and had to pretend to be a mythical water spirit to get by). Law and Jinbe also have also had a similar dynamic with the crew, namely straight man/outsider, so they would have stepped on each other if Jinbe showed up earlier.

    Also, not that I think it matters, but it seems pretty clear to me that Zoro, Sanji, and Yamato (and even potentially Jinbe) will come out of Onigashima around YC level. Anyone who cares about power scaling within the crew can easily argue that Yamato isn't clearly stronger than Zoro or Sanji.
    Last edited by Roosta; October 18th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Bollocks. When Robin joined there was 100% power scaling shittery about how she is stronger than Zoro, higher bounty blablabla all that nonsense and as always Oda didn't give a fuck and just went on to tell his story. Same shit for Jinbe people talking all about he is too strong to join well what do you know he joined.
    History is repeating itself here with Yamato. Oda can flip perception with ease and he has done so dozen of times making people still trying to power scale to this day just look immensely foolish to me.

    Also you didn't get the point. I'm saying Oda doesn't care for what the fanbase perceives are the power levels. He literally doesn't give a fuck or how do you explain Ulti drawing with Luffy, the Apoo thing, etc etc. Hence people insisting Yamato is too strong to join are just full of shit as people that insistent robin is too strong/stronger as well as Jinbe. It's a garbage tier argument. The same way Carrot being to weak to join is a garbage tier argument.
    Oda will bend characters powers as he likes cause in the end that shit doesn't matter to the degree all the dumb powerscalers like to pretend it does.
    Robin being stronger than both Zoro and Sanji was debatable and I wasn't around here back then making that argument. And I made no mention of bounties because the only thing worth less than "powerscalers" are those that think bounties actually mean much. Ask Jack or Kid or anyone else with inflated bounties.

    I'm not sure how you can flip any perceptions when we've seen Zoro tank one combined yonko attack and then essentially have every bone in his body broken and need some sort of miracle drug just to move. If it was Yamato, he/she would've shrugged it off and went on the attack. That's my point. Yamato having mastered CoC haki, having a strong DF, and going toe to toe with Kaido for who knows how long vs Zoro having his bones broken in one attack and showing a split second of CoC clearly shows that Yamato is stronger than Luffy's always strongest crew mate.

    On a side note, you need to calm down. This is supposed to be a place for civil discussions.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

  1. Exsolea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts