View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

111 81.02%
  • No

26 18.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    If Yamato does join the crew, I think Oda will have had it planned for a while, even if some of the details were worked out at the last minute. I like to think there's a chance that we'll see that there were hints that we don't yet understand... like Yamato could be more central to Kaido's backstory/motivation than we expect, or he could be the moon of Toki's prophecy. We just saw a good example of this, with Kid's missing arm having no known significance until we learned that Hawkins had made a decoy out of him. I'd bet that Oda planned the Killer/Hawkins/Kid situation planned since Kid lost his arm.
    2015 was the first mention of the Dawn of the World, which Yamato mentioned in relation to Momo being crucial to it, so perhaps it could be reasoned he had thought of Yamato at least 6 years back in that sense. Maybe Yamato could accomplish something Oden couldn't in regards to not only the Dawn, but also Joy Boy's return.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    2015 was the first mention of the Dawn of the World, which Yamato mentioned in relation to Momo being crucial to it, so perhaps it could be reasoned he had thought of Yamato at least 6 years back in that sense. Maybe Yamato could accomplish something Oden couldn't in regards to not only the Dawn, but also Joy Boy's return.
    True. Also, as Ace was dying, he said that his one regret was that he couldn't see Luffy's dream come true. We know that Luffy's dream means a lot to Yamato, so one could imagine that Oda planned on eventually having a character who knew his dream that would join him.

Not going to pretend I know at what point in the process Yamato became a thing, but Oda started seriously seeding the Wano arc back in Punk Hazard (2012-13) with Law's offer of an alliance to take down Kaidou and the introduction of Momonosuke and Kinemon, so he's been developing the general outline and filling it in for at least that long.
    Last edited by otakufan; October 25th, 2021 at 07:55 AM.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

True. Also, as Ace was dying, he said that his one regret was that he couldn't see Luffy's dream come true. We know that Luffy's dream means a lot to Yamato, so one could imagine that Oda planned on eventually having a character who knew his dream that would join him.
    Oh right, Yamato having learned of Luffy’s full dream from Ace may or may not be a follow-up to Ace’s dying words of not being able to see Luffy’s dream at Marineford.

Oh right, Yamato having learned of Luffy’s full dream from Ace may or may not be a follow-up to Ace’s dying words of not being able to see Luffy’s dream at Marineford.

At the time I thought this was referring to Sabo as the one inheriting Ace's will, but putting these chapters side by side makes it seem like it could be Yamato. Sabo also has his own business with the revolutionaries which is separate (I assume) from seeing Luffy's dream to it's end.

https://i.imgur.com/gzCNfMR.png
    At the time I thought this was referring to Sabo as the one inheriting Ace's will, but putting these chapters side by side makes it seem like it could be Yamato. Sabo also has his own business with the revolutionaries which is separate (I assume) from seeing Luffy's dream to it's end.
    Then again, rather odd how he talks about only having one regret/one thing left undone, as if never getting to see Tama and Yamato ever again wasn't worth regretting about.

Then again, rather odd how he talks about only having one regret/one thing left undone, as if never getting to see Tama and Yamato ever again wasn't worth regretting about.
    It obviously could be retcon, but my interpretation is that his way of doing that was by supporting Whitebeard becoming the Pirate King. He thought he would be strong enough to take on Kaido himself, but realized upon meeting Whitebeard that he would have to throw in with others. IIRC there was a scene where he mentioned wanting to take on Kaido to the Whitebeard Pirates, but they also mentioned that it wasn't possible at the time.

The way I interpret things, I don't think Oda would set-up Yamato as being so learned about the history of piracy and ongoings around the world which includes the arrival of the New Generation to only then limit his story to just Wano. The story Oda has written for Yamato so far sets him up as a character who will directly be involved in the age about to be defined by the new generation.

I also find it weird how Oda connected Yamato to the Straw Hat Pirates by having Yamato be the one who gave Ace the vivre card. Such a scene would not be relevant if only to notify Yamato of Ace's death. A newspaper could have been used as a trigger instead for Yamato finding out about Ace's death and Luffy's importance rather than the vivre card. The vivre card development is obviously a retcon and avoiding such a retcon would have helped avoid the awkwardness attached to it. Why drag in past plot points unnecessarily that didn't need further development? Oda intentionally made that choice to tie Yamato to the Straw Hat Pirates through the vivre card Ace gave them during the Alabasta Arc. Such an intention I feel will be substantiated going forward.

With Oda's originally envisioned Straw Hat Pirate crew already being gathered, any new member(s) will obviously have a different set-up than the other Straw Hat Pirates who joined before as this character or characters weren't planned from the inception of One Piece.

I still say if I could choose anyone to join the crew I’d want Sir Crocodile hands down

If Yamato doesn’t join he’s one of the few people who we definitely know has some sort of flashback coming up (not that he’ll join)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I still say if I could choose anyone to join the crew I’d want Sir Crocodile hands down

If Yamato doesn’t join he’s one of the few people who we definitely know has some sort of flashback coming up (not that he’ll join)
    That's more of a fav character thing in the same realm as ppl who want Smoker to join.

Oda would have to do a ton of character work to make sense of Crocodile joining the crew. Vivi could sort of hand wave (and rationalize) away Robin joining but Croc?! That's almost spitting in her face and the entire Alabasta saga.

Croc wasn't even hinted at being a tragic villain that was doing bad things for an old personal "good" reason. I mean the signs weren't even in his favor when it was hinted that his pirate ambitions were crushed by Whitebeard instead of say Big Mom or some previous evil emperor or who Oda chose to do that with by having Kaido crush Moria and apparently kill his crew.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    That's more of a fav character thing in the same realm as ppl who want Smoker to join.

Oda would have to do a ton of character work to make sense of Crocodile joining the crew. Vivi could sort of hand wave (and rationalize) away Robin joining but Croc?! That's almost spitting in her face and the entire Alabasta saga.

Croc wasn't even hinted at being a tragic villain that was doing bad things for an old personal "good" reason. I mean the signs weren't even in his favor when it was hinted that his pirate ambitions were crushed by Whitebeard instead of say Big Mom or some previous evil emperor or who Oda chose to do that with by having Kaido crush Moria and apparently kill his crew.
    I just think he would be an interesting dynamic to the crew, but yes your right he won’t join

Although I do think he has a tragic past, Iva hinted that he has some sort of great secret and obviously there’s a reason he’s missing an arm and has a giant scar

The fact that Iva knows this secret, and Oda hid Crocodile’s appearance in chapter 0 and his gender is ambiguous in his child picture leads me to believe he was at one time a woman

Although Oda has a habit of changing things in his story if too many people guess it, so that might not be the case anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I just think he would be an interesting dynamic to the crew, but yes your right he won’t join

Although I do think he has a tragic past, Iva hinted that he has some sort of great secret and obviously there’s a reason he’s missing an arm and has a giant scar

The fact that Iva knows this secret, and Oda hid Crocodile’s appearance in chapter 0 and his gender is ambiguous in his child picture leads me to believe he was at one time a woman

Although Oda has a habit of changing things in his story if too many people guess it, so that might not be the case anymore
    I could see him on the Sunny at some point as a reluctant ally.

Maybe Croc will try to make an alliance with some giants.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I could see him on the Sunny at some point as a reluctant ally.

Maybe Croc will try to make an alliance with some giants.
    I really hope so! He’d make the best reluctant ally! he’s powerful and clever enough to be of use but you also have to look out because he will take any opportunity to screw you over when it best suits him

I imagine him being like a mix of Vegeta from Dragonball and Jane Cobb from Firefly

ya'll are mistaking yamato for tama in these marineford and ace discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    ya'll are mistaking yamato for tama in these marineford and ace discussions.
    No. There's been nothing about a little girl who can control animals in those discussions.
    Last.fm

There are some similarities between Tama and Yamato, but Yamato is the one that shared sake with Ace, and was waiting for Luffy since before he left Dawn Island.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

And Yamato is the one that knows Luffy's true dream that I don't think even Zoro and Nami, his oldest crewmates, know.

Tbh I've been sold on the "Yamato new crewmate" train since that chapter 1,000 flashback.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

What do we think Luffy's other dream is?

For someone who's been solely focused on one thing the better part of 30 years our time, i'd say Luffy having a deeper reason to wanting to be Pirate King was the biggest twist in the series thus far. Kanjuro can't touch that, its been awhile since Ace and the old man died.

We have to start with the most freedom in the sea, that's the closest we've gotten to hearing why. I guess the real question what can you do with the most freedom at sea. The answer is anything.
    Last edited by Blowfish; October 26th, 2021 at 07:19 PM.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

so i know everyone is on the yamato train, and that's all well and good, seeing as how we need a wano representative of some kind on the crew (was thinking kinemon for a while, but being stabbed through by kaido and zoro being able to do his moves kind of negates him), but how come Law is never brought up as a serious candidate as a permanent crew member?

Is the reason people discount him because he's a captain of his own crew? You'd figure the inclusion of Jinbei, a former captain and warlord himself, would make it clear that is not a real reason. He's a support type fighter, he's gotten a very strawhat-esque flashback, he fully believes in luffy and even said the strawhats perform miracles everywhere. he's a true believer, wants to find out the secret to the D clan, and knows that the strawhats can lead him to it. the ONLY reason to exclude him long term is that he's also a doctor, but that seems a minor hurdle. he was impressed by chopper and if we want to be pendantic, we can say he's more a surgeon than anything else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information