+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,028: Brachiosnakeus

Default Re: Chapter 1,028: Brachiosnakeus

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Trying to think of a movie series or show that didn't just become bad and I'm blanking at the moment. Can't totally relate but I get the idea.
    As long as you get the idea that's fine. I dont even think people have to agree with me. It was just supposed to be a quick comment about how I generally liked the chapter especially momo's struggle even if the second half wasnt to my taste.

Its just given previous One Piece examples this chapter falls right in line with it. I mean Oda already established a precedent with Sasaki and his ancient zoan so now I'm guessing this would be a reoccurring jarring gag/joke for you?
    Spoiler:
    There's gag like Brook drinking milk to repair bones is a fun play on an establish belief that milk help strengthen bone or Franky building a bridge to Oars face because he's a genius carpenter or Usopp using bugs to scare girls or Luffy becoming a water baloon because it helps against crocodile. I feel its usually a play on something we know. While Queen turning into a snake isnt playing on anything. It's thinking of a visual thats funny and doing it. And to me at least there's never been that much of "it comes from nowhere but its funny who cares". And I dont think making it a modification would have made it that much less funny.

One piece always had humor but I think it is used a lot more then pre timeskip. And I think Oda has started to overused it and put in in places it shouldn't be in. Like Luffy discovering his brother is alive. Of course what it is a good use of humor vary from person to person and I could have just grown cynical.

The best analogy I can think of is how Sanji pervert nature was always there but was overused in fishman island.

Ultimately I guess I wanted a high stake fight from both commenders since I haven't really felt much threat from this crew. Queen being so goofy and fun doesnt provide that to me me. And I wanted Sanji to shine as a heavy hitter So him coming short against the lovable goofball in gag scenes and needing the power up to survive didnt appeal to me. And when he win I wont get that big satisfaction since Queen being so goofy make his defeat feel more like a minimal requirement then a great accomplishment.

But its also only half the chapter maybe less so maybe we could talk about other things then how well some gag landed.

Maybe the twist to openning the border will be acception that alliance with the world government and use that opportunity to make new connection with the world and countries we know like Alabasta or Kano or Dressrossa. And they'll stay under it until the final war where they break off with Alabasta and others we know.

And with Onigishina being a floating island currently and Momo barely know how to use the clouds maybe they they land it in one of the ravage landscape created by Kaido and the wealth of food and probably other ressources kinda serve as a repayment for all they lost for a little while. With a promise Momo will put it once he grow strong enough.

Also I cant imagine Robin getting captured. I imagine it will just be the strawhats being made aware Robin is an high target again. Or maybe Oda setting a massive bounty increase for her. Or just an occasion for the local to stand up for the strawhats when they are too exhausted to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Actually many readers should be afraid, very afraid with this take robin plot.
    In many stories this insufferable plot device is used to further the drama, create more anxiety and headaches for the reader. We all have seen it where the character had the key to the vault, box or the door, he just doesn’t have the location of where door is and the minute he finds it, he loses the key somehow.
    We’re close to laugh tell. After the battle the strawhats will have 3 of the 4 poneglyphs. If the rug is not gonna be pulled from under us with this plot device, why bring up now?. This capture Robin plot had pretty much been done with after ebnies lobby, why bringing it back now if it’s not gonna go anywhere?. To give rob Lucci something to say or to do?.

We could have a situation where Robin is taken and the Strawhats have to deal with Elbaf, Blackbeard Plots and other plots before they can get Robin back for the final voyage to Laugh tell and then the final World Battle. It sounds crazy but Oda could actually do this. This would be bad for my taste. I hate these types of plot devices. But who knows how Oda would go with this. Maybe Oda just want to showcase that the Strawhats are strong enough to protect Robin and nothing will come of this kidnapping attempt?. But they did that at ebnies lobby, some would say. I don’t know.
    The only way you'd be worried is if you think Oda has become a hack. If you even have a semblance of confidence in Oda's writing you're going to be extremely confident in that Oda isn't going to recycle this exact plotpoint in the way he did for Enies Lobby.
    The way I see it's going to just be Oda picking up on Robin declaring her not being worried about anything cause she got her crew back in Zou. It's also another way of showing us how the Strawhats as a whole might have evolved if this attempt won't faze them.
    Post Wano what will essentially will have happened is a Luffy ascending to the same level as the Yonko having Robin as his ally. That's huge, before that Luffy is just this big pirate that's a thorn to the government. But by defeating a Yonko he will have become a military power that you can't ignore having a key player to the One Piece on his team. The power dynamics with the equilibrium broken will be pretty interesting. We don't know what the SSG will turn out to be but the most obvious move for all the remaining players actually aiming for One Piece would be to ally or at least target Luffy at once. It's like when someone gets ahead in Mario Kart.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    It's not exactly regeneration. It's more like Sanji can put himself back together like a Lego, but there's probably some types of damage that he can't handle, and his stamina is probably being drained as he fights.
    His nose is his Achilles heel, once he starts bleeding from it the only thing that can help him is blood transfusion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Won't be surprised if CP0 finds someone else who could read the Poneglyphs (in Wano) or an alternative to reading them directly. Reading poneglyphs might just be the big boost WG needs to prepare for next big things that might crop up
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Awesome chapter. It's exciting to think where this Sanji's Germa genes awakening is going to for Sanji's fights in the future. Queen shooting himself out of his own torso and become a snake is Oda outclassing himself - I fucking love it.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    We had the helicopter dyno not so long ago.

I also didnt like that Luffy seeing Sabo again was an Enel face insteading of just seeing him be happy.

I dont like humor to encroach on everything. I prefer emotional moment played straight. I think its easier to feel what the character feel. And I high stakes fight to have villains with threatening presence. I think it makes taking them down more satisfying and feel more like an accomplishment.
    So pretty much all of One Piece, then? Ok.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Fool View Post
    No need to pretend like you don't get what they meant. There are loads of dramatic scenes in OP. And it's also true Oda's gags can be hit and miss sometimes.

Blackbeard will take Robin, no doubt about it. That guy is an opportunistic scumbag. When he's ready to make his move, he will take her, setting up a showdown, a race to Laugh Tale.

It's time to spin the wheel! Who will take Robin?
    Black Beard? CP0? Big Mom? Panda man? Stay tuned to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    It's time to spin the wheel! Who will take Robin?
    Black Beard? CP0? Big Mom? Panda man? Stay tuned to find out.
    CP-0 would be retreading old territory and boring. Blackbeard however clearly needs a way to get the Poneglyphs and a way to read them, he seems the most obvious choice, after all he has stolen his way to power.

I think i would prefer it if Blacky knew something no one else knew and took route B while everyone else scrambled for route A. Maybe something Rocks knew that he somehow got wind off? Just spitballing nonsenses here but it would've been fun

CP-0 can't steal Robin, that has already been done before. It would make the Strawhats look like idiots. Like they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I'm sure some person will argue that Robin willingly left with CP9 last time, whereas this time they'd have to outright kidnap her against her will but still ends the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Fool View Post
    The gags were a miss for me this chapter. They were a hit for you. Doesnt mean I hate every one piece gag. It's not a all or nothing game.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Blackbeard will take Robin, no doubt about it. That guy is an opportunistic scumbag. When he's ready to make his move, he will take her, setting up a showdown, a race to Laugh Tale.
    I feel Blackbeard is stealing the ponyglyph that is on Whole cake island currently. And maybe he also steal pudding and torture her to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I think i would prefer it if Blacky knew something no one else knew and took route B while everyone else scrambled for route A. Maybe something Rocks knew that he somehow got wind off? Just spitballing nonsenses here but it would've been fun
    Yeah, me too.

Blackbeard is some sort of historian, so even if he can't read the Ponelgyphs, he probably knows a source that can do it in his place. Btw, if he kidnaps someone, it could be Pudding because of her third eye's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Oh I think ol' B definitely has a workaround, otherwise what's the point of even having a direct family relation to the guy who had access to all kinds of forbidden knowledge. Or maybe he has a 3rd eye after that bandanna after all!

Speaking of Robin, don't see kidnapping working. First, it happened before, second, it would just add more page space to already filled up late game content. I think people trying to kidnap her itself is a decent enough of a complication, especially if our heroes are already drained. I'm quite positive Luffy's fleet will come by and save the day. It's not like they have too many remaining opportunities to do so. And if they don't come, the hell were they doing that they couldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    I'd rather see Blackbeard invade Whole Cake Island for the road poneglyph there AND, take Pudding in the process. Oda threw that reveal casually in Kaido and Big Mom's exchange. I'd expect further expansion on that.

I'm pretty sure if someone question those weird dino trivia in a SBS, Oda would respond with something like "Nah, its all cyborg science shit, Queen just like to joke with his foes lol gg",

And speaking of the subject, I think I heard somewhere that the Brachiosaurus didn't really had a long neck, so Oda maybe not be too far from reality.

So no one else thinks it would be cool if the CP0 agents who are at Wano fought against Brook in order to capture Nico Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    So no one else thinks it would be cool if the CP0 agents who are at Wano fought against Brook in order to capture Nico Robin?
    Honestly, I think Brook is outmatched here. Even if Brook was able to handle one agent, there are multiple CP0 agents at Onigashima, so it's a tall order.

What, and Robin is just going to stand there and watch? Brook, Robin, and currently doing nothing Franky could 3 vs. 3 CP-0 no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    What, and Robin is just going to stand there and watch? Brook, Robin, and currently doing nothing Franky could 3 vs. 3 CP-0 no problem.
    We're supposed to think that Robin and Franky are exhausted from defeating the Tobi Roppo. Let's not underestimate CP0 now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information