+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Babylon 5 reboot

Default Babylon 5 reboot

Oh come on, they're taking THE greatest sci-fi show of all time (sorry all forms of Star Trek, its true) and rebooting it? Who the hell do they think could possibly even touch the original? It wasn't flawless to be sure, but it was overall about as perfect as you could ask for in terms of storytelling and characters.

Who would possibly DARE try to reboot it?

Oh, J. Michael Straczynski.

The original creator of the show who wrote most of the episodes?

And they're bringing back every member of the old cast that's still alive in some role or another?

Well, I guess I'm willing to give it a chance then.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Michael Straczynski
    To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is now in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote, “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on the question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then? How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road.

So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something both fresh and familiar.

To those who have asked why we’re not just doing a continuation…for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim. How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix. Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end…creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what’s possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project. They understand the unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Babylon 5 reboot

Absolutely great news to hear. Its the one Sci-fi series I could just never get into due to how aged it looked.

However, bouncing off it introduced me to the timeless classic Farscape.

I am looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Discovered Stowaway

Really great news. I also believe that a reboot is necessary and a sequel, even if it would have been interesting, no longer makes sense and I am curious how a modernized Babylon 5 will look.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Huh. I guess I should really watch the original one of these days.
    Yes, yes you should.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Yes, yes you should.
    I've added it to my HBOMax queue, so I'll watch it once I finish up some other shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I've added it to my HBOMax queue, so I'll watch it once I finish up some other shows.
    Good!

I don't know what's on HBO max, but... beware the initial pilot movie. it's slow and awkward and they really hadn't figured it out yet, and there was a year between it and the actual first episode so there were some cast changes. It's very slightly plot relevant but I went years without seeing it and was never lost, the stuff that happens in it is covered in the actual show. If you do start with it, just keep in mind its not representative of the show as a whole, and it is safe to skip.

The entire first season is a little slow but that's setting up characters and world building, but there's a lot of solid stuff in there.

There are several movies. One of them is called "In the Beginning", and its framed as a prequel. Do NOT watch it first. It was filmed and set up assuming you'd seen the first four seasons and includes MASSIVE spoilers, things that you were meant to find out along the way, reveals that are taken for granted, and lots of little details you won't appreciate. Its an excellent movie that pulls all the threads together, but it should NOT be what you see first.

Currently watching TNG and planning to watch the rest of Star Trek. I had Battlestar Galactica on the list but I might as well add Babylon 5 to it. Did this also have a bad finale or was that just Battlestar?

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Currently watching TNG and planning to watch the rest of Star Trek. I had Battlestar Galactica on the list but I might as well add Babylon 5 to it. Did this also have a bad finale or was that just Battlestar?
    B5 has one of the best endings ever. They actually knew from the start what they were working towards and it shows. I rewatch the whole series every two or three years for the last 20 years (and some individual episodes way more than that) and the ending gets every emotion it wants out of me every single time.

Skip Galactica. It has some moments but overall isn't worth the ride. They DIDN'T know what they were working towards and it also shows. I've watched it once. And regretted it long before I actually got to the end.
    Last edited by Robby; September 28th, 2021 at 02:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information