+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 991: "Enemy? Ally? Luffy and Yamato"

Default 991: "Enemy? Ally? Luffy and Yamato"

This'll be another Yamauchi-boarded ep, so expect more colors and personal space-invading camerawork.

Title: "Enemy? Ally? Luffy and Yamato"
    Chapters Covered: 984
    Episode Director: Yusuke Suzuki (***)
    Animation Director: Toshio Deguchi (**) + Keita Saito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 991: "Enemy? Ally? Luffy and Yamato"

Bad pacing, wonky animation many still frames and redundant recap scenes also they ruin the yamato reveal with a manga spoiler ������. 4/10

One of the few things that I used to love about the anime is how they'd typically handle important moments and character debuts/reveals very well, so I always looked forward to iconic manga moments being adapted in the anime. But wow, the pacing has gotten so bad that even moments like Yamato's reveal felt sloppy and badly handled even though it should've been a really cool scene. On one hand I'm just glad that it's over with, but on the other hand it's disappointing that this installment felt like any other episode and not something more monumental like it could've been. This recent streak of mediocrity in the anime needs to end.

One Piece Episode 992 Preview

That was an enjoyable episode. I like that they continued to expand on the Big Mom chasing Usopp and Chopper stuff from the last couple episodes. Also I like that the anime actually shown Big Mom creating her Yokai homies. Also I like that the anime shown a little bit of Yamato's fight with Ace

Someone at reddit pointing out that Yamato vs Ace in chapter 999, Yamato had full sleeves. No side boob.

Toei never fail to dissappoint.

Wow, Luffy's Gatling was swatted away like it's just a bunch of flies.

This episode wasnt bad at all. Sure its far from Megumi Ishitani goodness but its good.

I don't think there's a way they could have botched Yamato's reveal any more smh

this episode felt claustrophobic

With this pacing I think episode 1000 ending will be:
    Manga spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Abel View Post
    Manga spoiler:
    Completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Abel View Post
    Manga spoiler:
    Wasnt there an announcement which stated that episode 1000 will be a collection of memoirs? Though, even in that case, they could still include that moment and do something similar to the enies lobby recap episodes

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Hisoga View Post
    Someone at reddit pointing out that Yamato vs Ace in chapter 999, Yamato had full sleeves. No side boob.

Toei never fail to dissappoint.
    wow thats a huge flaw. i dont think i can watch the anime any longer
    Last edited by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths; September 12th, 2021 at 04:44 AM.

Wow at all the negativity. And here I thought this episode was pretty good, personally. Though yes, they did spoil the Yamato reveal. Twice, even. Once with the final scene, and then again in the preview.

Also yeah, I think at this point everyone expects that scene to land on episode 1000.

I think we're at the point Toei just consider Yamato's secret spoiled and don't really care to hide it anymore. I mean: the opening, this episode's preview (which uses the very only one scene where Yamato's chest is saw in this episode!), this episode's ending, next episode's preview. Not talking about gadget and merchandising, We Are One included.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Man, all the people complaining about last week’s episode were nuts. I just rewatched it and loved every second of the episode past the seven minute mark (the long recapping). Great direction and filled with beautiful art and fight animation. That episode was a gem.

This episode, however, left me wanting last week back. Not much good animation to speak of, though I suppose the red hawk at the end was decent in direction and storyboarding. Other that that, I’m happy the episode had a ton of scenes but wish the storyboarding, art, and direction had stepped it up a notch.

And to those of you complaining about the pacing of this episode, count yourselves lucky we got like six scenes and this wasn’t nearly as bad as the “Luffy and Zoro wander the dance floor” three episodes or so. Those were way more brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Man, all the people complaining about last week’s episode were nuts. I just rewatched it and loved every second of the episode past the seven minute mark (the long recapping). Great direction and filled with beautiful art and fight animation. That episode was a gem.

This episode, however, left me wanting last week back. Not much good animation to speak of, though I suppose the red hawk at the end was decent in direction and storyboarding. Other that that, I’m happy the episode had a ton of scenes but wish the storyboarding, art, and direction had stepped it up a notch.

And to those of you complaining about the pacing of this episode, count yourselves lucky we got like six scenes and this wasn’t nearly as bad as the “Luffy and Zoro wander the dance floor” three episodes or so. Those were way more brutal.
    In a world where the Dragon Ball Z anime is frequently praised despite its pacing, the praise towards the One Piece anime doesn't surprise me. lol

Although 991 didn't have much great fight animation etc, but at least it wasn't riddled with the same production issues seen in 990.

Overall I think 991 had a great variety of scenarios, but for the most part they were all quite lackluster. Not a great episode.

Oh they're not even trying to hide that Yamato is biologically female, they're not even filtering the voice through the mask or having the actress play it a little deeper and neutral... the voice and the mannerisms are super feminine on screen so I think they just had no interest in making the surprise a surprise.

I guess they figured he'd be all over the merchandising by now anyway so what's the point?

Of course the manga only held the reveal for one week and the anime pacing has already strangled it into two, so...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information