+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 989: "A Man's Vow! The Brachio Tank's Fierce Battle"

Default 989: "A Man's Vow! The Brachio Tank's Fierce Battle"

Mighty Morphing Brachiosaur or headless chicken?

Title: "A Man's Vow! The Brachio Tank's Fierce Battle"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 982
    Episode Director: Kohei Kureta (****)
    Animation Director: Hirotaka Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 989: "A Man's Vow! The Brachio Tank's Fierce Battle"

One Piece Episode 990 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Mighty Morphing Brachiosaur or headless chicken?

Title: "A Man's Vow! The Brachio Tank's Fierce Battle"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 982
    Episode Director: Kohei Kureta (****)
    Animation Director: Hirotaka Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    I really enjoyed the filler scenes, im a sucker for dorky stuff like this. The final scene felt somewhat underwhelming tho.
    Last edited by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths; August 29th, 2021 at 01:09 AM.

It's tough to be mad whenever a scene gives Chopper a bazooka, even if it's filler.

That was a fun episode. I actually like the Chopper, Usopp, and Big Mom filler. Since I felt the manga version of the event went too quickly. The scene at the end of the episode with Ulti and Page One was really funny.

Damn, that preview is fire. Next week is going to be great, huh? Besides the obvious animation glimmers, the art and shading looks stronger than usual. Are we impressed by the credits for next episode?

So the SS from the nazi regime entered one piece world in order to back up Big Mom
    Insane

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Damn, that preview is fire. Next week is going to be great, huh? Besides the obvious animation glimmers, the art and shading looks stronger than usual. Are we impressed by the credits for next episode?
    Short answer is yes.

The animation director for the first half of the episode is Tu Yong Ce, who was the animation director for episode 972, the Oden vs Kaido fight, and 982, the Queen dance performance fight, with him doing a lot of the action and dance scenes during that episode, and looking like he'll be doing Ulti's headbutt based on the preview.(He also animated Queen's brachio bomber in 946, and has improved a lot animation and artwise since then). I think I wouldn't be exaggerating by calling him easily the best animation director on the show currently.

The animation director for the second half of the episode is Masahiro Kitazaki. He hasn't been an animation director for a little while, seeming to focus more on his key animation work in Wano, but he is well known for his more detailed artwork, and generally sets a decent bar of average animation for the episodes he works on, sometimes contributing some nice stuff here and there.

The episode is also directed by Tatsuya Nagamine, who is one of the series directors.

Did we just get an episode with no recap that still managed to maintain a solid pace throughout without a single scene overstaying its welcome and plenty of genuinely fun moments?! What is this?! I mean it's still not 982 levels of pure greatness but this was unusually well paced. And great use of filler, too. Sure, the tank fight was pure camp but it was the good kind of pure camp, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Did we just get an episode with no recap that still managed to maintain a solid pace throughout without a single scene overstaying its welcome and plenty of genuinely fun moments?! What is this?! I mean it's still not 982 levels of pure greatness but this was unusually well paced. And great use of filler, too. Sure, the tank fight was pure camp but it was the good kind of pure camp, damn it!
    Did you watch a different episode? There were a few recaps in 989

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Did you watch a different episode? There were a few recaps in 989
    It had no dedicated recap section. It had flashbacks, sure, and a few moments where they cut back to a scene a few cuts before where they last left off, but the show does that anyway, whether there's a several minute recap at the start or not.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Yeah, I was impressed by how the episode went from the opening sequence STRAIGHT to the title card. And the title card was a cute nonsense image of a Brachio Tank model set. haha

Wasn’t impressed by the Kyoshiro x Sasaki twist coming through a slideshow with sound effects. Hasn’t realized in the manga there was a giant rock field (where BM fights Usopp and Chopper this episode). I like the comedy, but I worry that it makes BM less intimidating and imposing; we’re certainly not worried that Chopper and Usopp are in actual danger this episode. Also, there’s a very weird recapping bit when the first Kanjuro scene starts. They did something similar with Luffy at the end—reusing the ending shots of last episode before the new scene began.

I don’t know about you guys, but I think I’d much prefer this sort of recapping (a few old shots before every new scene) to the 3-7 minute recaps that start the episode.

Other than those gripes, this was the strongest episode since Ishitani’s. I loved the storyboard in particular—plenty of wide and establishing shots to never lose the location. Always nice framing and a handful of creative ideas in the mix. But the art was also lovely this episode, and the animation had a few crowning moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    It had no dedicated recap section. It had flashbacks, sure, and a few moments where they cut back to a scene a few cuts before where they last left off, but the show does that anyway, whether there's a several minute recap at the start or not.
    Okay then, I just wouldn't make a point that it had absolutely no recap when you only meant dedicated recap sections

It was nice to see Usopp and Chopper interacting again, even if it's filler. I feel like it's been forever since I even saw Usopp do anything of note at all.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information