+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 985: "Thoughts of O-Tama - Luffy's Furious Attack"

Default 985: "Thoughts of O-Tama - Luffy's Furious Attack"

Fake news, Luffy doesn't think!

Title: "Thoughts of O-Tama - Luffy's Furious Attack"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 979-980
    Episode Director: Katsumi Tokoro (****)
    Animation Director: Kazuya Hisada (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 985: "Thoughts of O-Tama - Luffy's Furious Attack"

Luffy and Zoro - Episode 985: https://bittube.tv/post/e8ba648c-535...9-6f54739f0b82

One Piece Episode 986 Preview

Crickets, eh? Haven’t watched the episode yet, but the preview says it all regards pacing. At least the art looks really good for next week.

So they showed even Kid's haoshoku? I know it's common knowledge since early Wano, but seeing it in the anime before the manga makes me laugh
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Flying Six scene was aight. Luffy's scenes were basically just repeating the cliffhanger from last week three times or so before finally resolving it late enough that essentially no progress had been made by the end. This is clearly one of the cases where the sub-one-chapter pacing did not work out very well. There really wasn't anything there for Toei to meaningfully expand on, and so we just got "Luffy thinks of Tama and gets angry" over and over until he finally punched the guys.

When people complain about One Piece's animation and pacing, I think this episode is a prime example of those criticisms. I only cared for the scenes with Kaido and the Tobi Roppo; I almost feel asleep during the Luffy scenes since they dragged that out excessively to the point where the emotional impact dissolved completely and I was simply bored out of my mind hoping that the episode would just end.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    When people complain about One Piece's animation and pacing, I think this episode is a prime example of those criticisms. I only cared for the scenes with Kaido and the Tobi Roppo; I almost feel asleep during the Luffy scenes since they dragged that out excessively to the point where the emotional impact dissolved completely and I was simply bored out of my mind hoping that the episode would just end.
    Pacing, yes. Animation, no. Given the material they were working with it looked fine. It's just... hardly anything happened. It took them pretty much the entire episode to get to the follow-up to last week's cliffhanger that happened one page later in the manga. (Well, last week's cliffhanger was also in the manga and the following chapter had him attacking the guys on the first page. Granted, the entire scene with the Flying Six was also manga content and I think some of the scenes with Zoro and Kid might have been too, so it's not like there wasn't anything happening in the meantime.)

Man, I just watched last episode and it sure is tacky that Law refused to call Luffy a friend despite Luffy taking down Doflamingo and paling around with him for two hundred plus episodes. Was that a filler line or Oda? Terrible filler writing, if so. I get Law is supposed to be edgy, but jeez.

No one should be denying the facts here. This was a bad episode.

Crossword, I would subtract a star from Tokoro because this episode was tedious to watch and not engaging at all. I had to pause multiple times because of the same Tama flashback being shown multiple times. By the time Shida's scene happened, I had already emotionally checked out of the episode.
    Tokoro focused way too much on Luffy and Zoro just standing and walking around on the performance floor. This is why implied filler that we had in early Wano worked so well. We got to see what other characters were doing.

Is it just me, or does the onigashima garb make everyone look short and squat? Probably my least favorite outfits in the white series, including movie and specials.

This episode wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone is saying. I went into it expecting something terrible, but there are (1) a few really nice cuts when Luffy attacks, (2) a few instances of really nice storyboarding, (3) some good Zoro moments/art. A third of the episode is the Kaido scene. The other two thirds could’ve been halved, yes, but we got Zoro getting pissed, Luffy reacting, and the two meeting up while Kid watches. The comments here made me think it would literally end in the same spot, so it was good to see Zoro use enma and meet up with Luffy.

I’ve been saying it for weeks: fight scenes—this war—won’t adapt well because of the page counts per episode. It’s impossible to expand 7 pages of action into twenty minutes without it feeling tedious. Wano was so well paced before largely due to the amount of information, talking, and scenes shoved into each chapter. But now we’re getting simpler material—and it shows.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Luckily, from here on out the content is mostly interesting. So I don’t foresee us getting three episodes in a row of awful/low material for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Flying Six scene was aight. Luffy's scenes were basically just repeating the cliffhanger from last week three times or so before finally resolving it late enough that essentially no progress had been made by the end. This is clearly one of the cases where the sub-one-chapter pacing did not work out very well. There really wasn't anything there for Toei to meaningfully expand on, and so we just got "Luffy thinks of Tama and gets angry" over and over until he finally punched the guys.
    Exactly that.. bloody hell. how many times did we need to see the Tama flashback and the oshiruko being spilled, very little progress was made lol oh well we move on to next week
    LYING GAME

LEVEL: NOVICE

I wonder if this is going to be Dressrosa 2.0... I remember even that started out good... NO! I have faith! I think its needed that SOME eps suck so the good animators work on the epic ones.

Personally I feel like 898 still holds the crown for worst Wano episode (or at least of the ones that stick in my memory!). That one was both painfully slow and looked bad, while here at least we had the veteran trio of Hisada, Tomita, and Shida providing some decent eye candy.

986 should be where it's at though, since not only is it the first Shigeyasu Yamauchi One Piece episode since Skypiea, but we'll also be seeing some new freelance animation directors, one of whom has a pretty impressive character designer resume under her belt and her talents look to be leveraged well.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Decent episode.

I think Kazuya Hisada's animation direction was pretty nice. I enjoy how he draws Kaido and Who's Who the most I think.

Shida made a return, and was pretty solid, though a bit limited for him, and there was some nice movement in the second half.

Not as good as last week I think, but still a perfectly watchable episode.

First half of the episode was pretty solid. It was better than the second half, although I think the second half at least finished strong enough.

The second half pretty much just repeated a lot of the stuff the first half did but worse. The first half felt like it had more engaging, logically constructed scenes, while the second felt a lot more pointless.

In saying that, it also did have the absolute highlights of the episode moment wise.

Next week looks good.

Will probably end off at the end of 980 next week.

There was nothing perfectly watchable about this episode, my guy. If you want to see obvious stalling and the same flashback over and over, then I agree.

It looks like we're temporary back to One Piece's old pacing with the "let's show the same manga scene over and over changing it a little bit maybe mixing it with a flashback" dragging technique. Can't say I missed it, but heck this was a meh scene even into the manga so who cares. It kinda... work? If we need it to speed next episodes up I mean. Animation was average with a bit of random Shida.

Spoiler:
    This made me remember an old guess I made with a bunch of friends the last year about if and how many times we'd seen Ulti headbutting Luffy before going on and I confirm my fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Les épisodes sont vraiment bien en ce moment, c'est vraiment dommage qu'il n'y a pas plusieurs épisodes par semaine ;)
    The Best Blog on One Piece is : https://esprit-onepiece.com/

A thorough Knowledge of Anime : https://esprit-onepiece.com/

Made For All of Manga Fans : https://esprit-onepiece.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information