+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 984: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''

Default Re: 984: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''

I enjoyed the episode for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    Wow I think this was easily the worst episode of Wano, definitely the worst I could remember recently. Have these directors done any other episodes recently, or are they new?
    Quite a few, actually. And while I don't remember all of these I can say that 914 was an absolute banger. Koyama is absolutely a strong director. Just... this time things didn't quite work out.

As I said back on episode 971, Koyama is becoming more and more experimental in his directing and storyboarding, and by its nature it's not an approach that's going to land 100% of the time.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Spoiler:
    So they skipped the scene with Kaido, King and the Tobi Roppo. That scene lasted 6 pages in the chapter covered and you can tell by the slow pace of the episode. I wonder when it will be included. And judging by the preview it doesn't seem we're getting a full chapter adaptation next week either.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Quite a few, actually. And while I don't remember all of these I can say that 914 was an absolute banger. Koyama is absolutely a strong director. Just... this time things didn't quite work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    As I said back on episode 971, Koyama is becoming more and more experimental in his directing and storyboarding, and by its nature it's not an approach that's going to land 100% of the time.
    Oh wow, yeah 917 was great. I do appreciate the experimental approach, but it definitely didn't land right this time for me. The psychedelic effect was a cool idea, but not executed in an interesting way, felt more slapped on. Also, the Usopp Sanji tank scene was just.... unnecessary.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Wow @ just showing Zoro use conqueror's haki during the banquet and trying to cover it up by saying those Beast pirates were pass put drunk.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    Wow I think this was easily the worst episode of Wano, definitely the worst I could remember recently. Have these directors done any other episodes recently, or are they new?
    I think thats incredibly exaggerated.

This episode is definitely better than the previous episode, 983, as well as episodes like 981 and 980, 979 and 977.

The episode has a ton of cool directorial stuff that elevate it above those other episodes.

Stuff like the use of silohuettes when Luffy is reflecting on Tama, the use of calligraphy at the beginning of the episode to reveal Orochi's plan, the use of colours to highlight the comedic moments during the episode with the Franky tanks, the cool imagery of Luffy running through the gates to enter Onigashima. There were also a ton of really cool transistions scattered throughout the episode. Despite criticism, I still think this episode did overall a pretty solid job when it came to lighting and colour choices. Like, yeah, there were some decisions that weren't terribly great, but those were often balanced out in the context of other creative decisions that did a good job of conveying what needed to be conveyed.

Like, this isn't Koyama's strongest by any stretch. Koyama's art wasn't great, and there wasn't a lot of animation talent to really sell the dynamism of the storyboard, but I'd say its still a helluva lot stronger than a lot of recent episodes.

I simply don't understand how people could consider this one of or the worst episode of Wano when its mostly pretty solid.

I'm not surprised that they're starting to make the ep to chapter ratio less than 1:1. With Oda's current output and being forced to take it easier for the sake of his health, we can only expect approximately 33-35 chapters this year, like last year. With about 50 episodes a year, there will be even more of a squeeze than ever.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm not surprised that they're starting to make the ep to chapter ratio less than 1:1. With Oda's current output and being forced to take it easier for the sake of his health, we can only expect approximately 33-35 chapters this year, like last year. With about 50 episodes a year, there will be even more of a squeeze than ever.
    "Starting to"? The chapter-to-episode ratio has been less than one chapter for years now. I think there's like a total of maybe three episodes in all of Wano that have covered a full chapter or more.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information