+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 181

Thread: Red Hood

  1. #101

    Default Re: Red Hood

    The story book angle didn't seem to come up until the author got a bit petty with the looming cancelation.

    Personally I kinda liked the 4th wall "it's all just a story" aspect. But the sudden, we wanna save werewolves is kinda a stopper on Velou's goals.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Wow, its like the ending to Barrage all over again. "I had this really cool twist in mind that would have been neat after 200 chapters, but here it is at 15 instead."

    I mean, you could have just had some kind of open ended ending... and then tried your twist again on your next project?

    But yeah... first the author blamed the *readers* for not not appreciating his slow pace and bad storytelling, and now he's breaking the fourth wall to insult the editor. Yikes.

    That attitude isn't going to take him very far when he tries again.

    The overall trainwreck is very Time Paradox Ghostwriter.


    Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    I've no idea what's happening or why backgrounds ceased to exist.
    They stopped drawing background in the previous chapter. They gave up.

    They even started pasting in entire old pages to fill space.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Red Hood

    I dunno, unlike Fire Force īs weird fanservice meta-chapters, to me none of the meta scenes felt like the author trying to dunk on someone (at least during this chapter)

    Also, if someone is interested, here is the authorīs twitter account: https://twitter.com/KawaguchiTw

  4. #104

    Default Re: Red Hood

    With the whole, wanting to make Velou the main character motivation for the Mayor. I wonder if that meant someone wanted Red Hood to be the main.

  5. #105
    Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ecuador

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Red Hood is the current main, the mayor wanted to replace her with Velou. But that sounds like it's trying to be meta for the sake of being meta and inconsistent with the actual manga, which neglected both Velou and Grimm.

    I got the feeling that Kawaguchi was dunking on the editor again, not the readers: "someone other than I is editing the outline", "whoever does the writing does not mater to whoever does the reading". Interpreted as: the editor changed the out line for the worse, but people who read the manga don't care whose fault it is, the author and the manga take the fall anyway. Then, after Cinderella and Lycaon blamed the mayor for the wolf brothers, Grimm is the one responsible for the training arc. So the implication is that the author didn't write anything past the first chapter.
    Wash your hands.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by DestinyDogma View Post
    I dunno, unlike Fire Force īs weird fanservice meta-chapters, to me none of the meta scenes felt like the author trying to dunk on someone (at least during this chapter)

    Also, if someone is interested, here is the authorīs twitter account: https://twitter.com/KawaguchiTw
    It might be foolish to judge by three pictures, but it looks like the the author likes drawing creatures (and is damn good at it too). Which makes it even more weird that the Werewolves vanished form the story.

    What the hell happened behind the scenes?
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:


  7. #107
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: Red Hood

    The irony in all this is that people here keep talking about it. I mean there's lots of indifference and complaints and already this thread is six pages long while stuff like Tokyo Revengers one of the hottest manga here in Japan right now is only at two pages even though it's got 225 chapters already. Honestly why not read that instead?



  8. #108

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    The irony in all this is that people here keep talking about it. I mean there's lots of indifference and complaints and already this thread is six pages long while stuff like Tokyo Revengers one of the hottest manga here in Japan right now is only at two pages even though it's got 225 chapters already. Honestly why not read that instead?
    Sometimes it's more fun to watch a trainwreck.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:


  9. #109
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Sometimes it's more fun to watch a trainwreck.
    I can totally get behind that. One if my fondest manga reading memories is reading Bleach onba weekly basis because that was just terribly bad and fun to get irritated by. Same with Fairy Tail and Naruto, though honestly Bleach was a league of its own. Red Hood on the other hand is not a trainwreck. I'm not saying it's great but it definitely is not a trainwreck. It's just there so I don't get the obsession with it. I mean as a comparison just check the conversation (or lack of such) in the Neru thread.



  10. #110

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    The irony in all this is that people here keep talking about it. I mean there's lots of indifference and complaints and already this thread is six pages long while stuff like Tokyo Revengers one of the hottest manga here in Japan right now is only at two pages even though it's got 225 chapters already. Honestly why not read that instead?
    Because we didn't KNOW we were starting a doomed series four months ago, but that's been so clearly on the wall its just kind of interesting to stick it out for a few more weeks. Same with Barrage or Time Paradox Ghost Writer.

    Red Hood looked like it could be up my alley and the art was nice.

    Its a shame. I don't actually start reading that many new series, I just don't have time for it generally, and I keep grabbing losers. By the time a series is established and popular its now a big backlog. And I have plenty of lengthy series to get through already

    On the other hand I actually enjoyed Promised Neverland all the way through while everyone reading it weekly ended up hating it, so pros and cons.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  11. #111
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Because we didn't KNOW we were starting a doomed series four months ago, but that's been so clearly on the wall its just kind of interesting to stick it out for a few more weeks. Same with Barrage or Time Paradox Ghost Writer.

    Red Hood looked like it could be up my alley and the art was nice.

    Its a shame. I don't actually start reading that many new series, I just don't have time for it generally, and I keep grabbing losers. By the time a series is established and popular its now a big backlog. And I have plenty of lengthy series to get through already

    On the other hand I actually enjoyed Promised Neverland all the way through while everyone reading it weekly ended up hating it, so pros and cons.
    That's a weird thing to say seeing that on the first page already people weren't praising the storytelling skills calling it nediocre at best. It was pretty much the artwork and the setting that seemed to have gotten peooke interested. And following that page the very early critism already began which is totally fair. But it doesn't really match the "we didn't know" argument since "this looks like a goner" seems to have been the only discussion going on here from the get go. I mean I'm not complaining I just find the narrative about how the series has been percieved here kinda interesting and I'm curious to know why it is like this.

    I know what you mean about grabbing losers. I also haven't been able to experience to get into a long running series from day one. I would really like to do it once just for the sake of experiencing of hiw it feels to folow a manga from its baby steps.

    I also get the being busy part. But I still try to find the time to give established or finished series a go. Just two months ago I started Tokyo Revengers abd Haikyuu which I both like a lot. The problem with the latter one though is that it is finished already so I can't much talk about it since it's kinda pointless to revive a sleeping thread for this. TR on the other hand seems to be popular anywhere alse but here. XD



  12. #112
    Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yggdrasil

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post

    I know what you mean about grabbing losers. I also haven't been able to experience to get into a long running series from day one. I would really like to do it once just for the sake of experiencing of hiw it feels to folow a manga from its baby steps.
    Somehow I managed to do that with Fairy Tail, it feels weird to see people refer to it as a classic on Reddit or so and even worse: People saying "old FT was better than the last arcs" when Mashima just stayed true to his style for the entire duration.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War



  13. #113

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    That's a weird thing to say seeing that on the first page already people weren't praising the storytelling skills calling it nediocre at best. It was pretty much the artwork and the setting that seemed to have gotten peooke interested. And following that page the very early critism already began which is totally fair. But it doesn't really match the "we didn't know" argument since "this looks like a goner" seems to have been the only discussion going on here from the get go. I mean I'm not complaining I just find the narrative about how the series has been percieved here kinda interesting and I'm curious to know why it is like this.

    I know what you mean about grabbing losers. I also haven't been able to experience to get into a long running series from day one. I would really like to do it once just for the sake of experiencing of hiw it feels to folow a manga from its baby steps.

    I also get the being busy part. But I still try to find the time to give established or finished series a go. Just two months ago I started Tokyo Revengers abd Haikyuu which I both like a lot. The problem with the latter one though is that it is finished already so I can't much talk about it since it's kinda pointless to revive a sleeping thread for this. TR on the other hand seems to be popular anywhere alse but here. XD
    Lots of stories start our shaky, but if they show some promise it's often worth sticking with it a few chapters to see if it finds its footing. Dandandan and Ranger Reject are some recent examples for me. Other times a series can be a dud but there might be one or two elements I really like - PPPPPP is anything but interesting but I like the mentor character and amateur-author feeling so I'm sticking with it for a few more chapters. Red Hood did the monster element well and I really hoped it would get a grip on it's weaker aspects, but instead of getting better - or fizzle out into blandness - it started doing some really weird things that were interesting to discuss. Like the whole meta angle that divide people whether it was a genuine attempt at storytelling or the author criticising their own readers. The last few weeks have been a long string of "I want this to make it" and "wow what is this series doing?" and that keeps me coming back. Up until this chapter it felt like it still had some chance. But alas.

    Never heard of Tokyo Revengers actually. I'm not in the mood to start a new manga at the moment but I'll keep it in mind. As for discussing Haikyuu, maybe the 'What Manga are you reading thread' could be a fit.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:


  14. #114

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    That's a weird thing to say seeing that on the first page already people weren't praising the storytelling skills calling it nediocre at best. It was pretty much the artwork and the setting that seemed to have gotten peooke interested.
    And up to a point, the setting and art are all you need to *start* with sometimes. Heck, look at original Dragonball, those are hardly the strongest first chapters, or first arcs even... but the art and personality and setting were interesting enough to carry it for a little while until it did get going.

    the issue here was it went from a middling first chapter with potential to a lousy first arc. Where it seeed for a little while "oh, it actually going to stay in the village for a bit? Maybe it'll do something with that then" but ultimately there was no real payoff there. And then at that point it was squandered potential, and by the time that was done it had completely failed to hook and it seemed like it was going to do poorly. But second arc was a chance to find a better hook and do... something.

    It's kind of failed to do that though.

    I also get the being busy part. But I still try to find the time to give established or finished series a go. Just two months ago I started Tokyo Revengers abd Haikyuu which I both like a lot.
    I've got novels and anime and 20 year long webcomics and a bunch of other stuff on my backlog. Too many things.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  15. #115

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    The irony in all this is that people here keep talking about it. I mean there's lots of indifference and complaints and already this thread is six pages long while stuff like Tokyo Revengers one of the hottest manga here in Japan right now is only at two pages even though it's got 225 chapters already. Honestly why not read that instead?
    I literally took notice of this series because grimm's boobs. I don't read any manga besides OP (I don't read this either, but am curious if it can mske a miraculous recovery). Can't speak for the rest here though. Maybe I'm the only one going to horny jail in this thread.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Red Hood

    People bet on a series that has an upward of 90% rate of failing and know the risk but still enjoy writing long essays about why it fails like it's a huge surprise all the time.
    Seven deadly sins was horrendous and never truly recovered but discussions for apocalypse is still ongoing, it's the same for why Bleach was so active even when it was already beyond saving.
    Yeah it's a lot more fun and easy to be critical about something that is generally accepted as bad then go into something good and try to objectively discuss faults.
    Commitment is certainly a thing. But we live in a society. Tokyo revengers is only recently a big hit because of the anime and people only jump on it after it became "mainstream" and a talking points for their social circles. No one really cared when that one guy was yelling to read it years ago either.
    Same thing with demon slayer.
    I guess some things don't have to be "good" but just fun to jump on, quality aside.

    This series got propped up because it managed to appeal to a certain side of the western audience. The Japanese couldn't really be bothered and ironically that's exactly how it was during the early days of demon slayer when most people in the west and English speaking communities don't even care and all the popularity only went full throttle because of good animation and directing, which really speaks to how popularity is largely based on shallowness and superficial.

    Same reason why Marvel movies is eaten up and people meme a plot hole like they solved a difficult puzzle but winners at film festivals are not discussed and also why most manga that actually won prestigious awards in Japan are equally not given attention by the masses and online communities.
    Last edited by zeltrax225; October 19th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.

  17. #117

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Just saw something interesting on 4chan, some readers in Japan were able to decipher the runes of the letter thanks to the latest chapter. Fun detail, back at the end of the first arc when the big wolf started talking in runes, he was in fact, singing the first part of the Lucky Star opening.


    Spoiler:


  18. #118
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoeggr View Post
    Somehow I managed to do that with Fairy Tail, it feels weird to see people refer to it as a classic on Reddit or so and even worse: People saying "old FT was better than the last arcs" when Mashima just stayed true to his style for the entire duration.
    Funny thing of you to say that because I'm also in the boat that early FT was a lot better what it was for the most time of its run. Not saying it was amazing but it was ok and the humor generally made me laugh because I thought it was funny. Later I only laughed at Fairy Tail because it was pathetic. So by those standards I would say it was better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Lots of stories start our shaky, but if they show some promise it's often worth sticking with it a few chapters to see if it finds its footing. Dandandan and Ranger Reject are some recent examples for me. Other times a series can be a dud but there might be one or two elements I really like - PPPPPP is anything but interesting but I like the mentor character and amateur-author feeling so I'm sticking with it for a few more chapters. Red Hood did the monster element well and I really hoped it would get a grip on it's weaker aspects, but instead of getting better - or fizzle out into blandness - it started doing some really weird things that were interesting to discuss. Like the whole meta angle that divide people whether it was a genuine attempt at storytelling or the author criticising their own readers. The last few weeks have been a long string of "I want this to make it" and "wow what is this series doing?" and that keeps me coming back. Up until this chapter it felt like it still had some chance. But alas.
    That makes quite sense what you say. Speaking of Ranger Reject. I kinda like that one too but it doesn't stick me as something that'll be a big series. Same as Monster 8. Good and fun read but nothing that will make a big splash.

    Never heard of Tokyo Revengers actually. I'm not in the mood to start a new manga at the moment but I'll keep it in mind. As for discussing Haikyuu, maybe the 'What Manga are you reading thread' could be a fit.
    That's also a fair argument. I just think it's one of the better manga I've been reading lately and it really has been huge here in Japan for a while now and the manga sales just exploded with the anime release. I think people in the west give it a hard pass because there's a manji in the title which they mistake for a swastika but that's another topic I've discussed in the TR thread so no need to take the conversation in here that route.^^'

    Thanks for the suggestion for Haikyuu but I've already finished the series. It was really amazing and I hate myself for not checking it out earlier. However I would like to let off some steam on the creative decision for the final arc which doesn't really belong in the series you are reading thread. ;)


    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And up to a point, the setting and art are all you need to *start* with sometimes. Heck, look at original Dragonball, those are hardly the strongest first chapters, or first arcs even... but the art and personality and setting were interesting enough to carry it for a little while until it did get going.
    Funnily enough I find early Dragonball more entertaining than early One Piece. Honestly no matter how often I try to give it a chance and want to give it added significance from a historic perspective literally EVERYTHING before Baratie bores me to death and it's not helped that the worst character in all of One Piece is in one of those arcs.
    the issue here was it went from a middling first chapter with potential to a lousy first arc. Where it seeed for a little while "oh, it actually going to stay in the village for a bit? Maybe it'll do something with that then" but ultimately there was no real payoff there. And then at that point it was squandered potential, and by the time that was done it had completely failed to hook and it seemed like it was going to do poorly. But second arc was a chance to find a better hook and do... something.

    It's kind of failed to do that though.
    Agreed on that. While I did defend that series at first and said we should give it a chance I would be lying if I said that it didn't have those signs in the beginning. One other thing that I might want to add which everyone else might find ridiculous is the protagonists name is Velou. I don't know. Doesn't really strike me as something that the kids here in Japan would like to shout out. At least I don't see any of my students doing this.

    I've got novels and anime and 20 year long webcomics and a bunch of other stuff on my backlog. Too many things.
    I've got literally a backlog of over 40 PlayStation games to tackle. However other than the lack of time being a factor another reason why I haven't started working on some of those games is that I am a moron and want to complete the trophies for the difficult games that I've let lay dormant for years. And they friggin ARE difficult. Somebody should really give me a good punch in the face for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    People bet on a series that has an upward of 90% rate of failing and know the risk but still enjoy writing long essays about why it fails like it's a huge surprise all the time.
    Seven deadly sins was horrendous and never truly recovered but discussions for apocalypse is still ongoing, it's the same for why Bleach was so active even when it was already beyond saving.
    Yeah it's a lot more fun and easy to be critical about something that is generally accepted as bad then go into something good and try to objectively discuss faults.
    Commitment is certainly a thing. But we live in a society. Tokyo revengers is only recently a big hit because of the anime and people only jump on it after it became "mainstream" and a talking points for their social circles. No one really cared when that one guy was yelling to read it years ago either.
    Same thing with demon slayer.
    I guess some things don't have to be "good" but just fun to jump on, quality aside.
    I will have to disagree with the bold part. I admit that I only live two years in Japan but throughout that time Tokyo Revengers was quite popular already but as you say not mainstream though. But it was in so many circles where I frequented with. Heck, that was one of the reasons why I didn't want to check the series out because of the circles I frequented with. Usually they have very weird reasons to follow a series that I don't share. Anyways, manga cafes being a big thing here and having the option to read chapters in convenience stores for free which people actually DO is definitely a reason why it gained popularity without boosting the sales numbers. But as always an anime has a huge impact on a manga series' sales.

    Btw, sorry for making this the second time in one post talking about Tokyo Revengers.

    This series got propped up because it managed to appeal to a certain side of the western audience. The Japanese couldn't really be bothered and ironically that's exactly how it was during the early days of demon slayer when most people in the west and English speaking communities don't even care and all the popularity only went full throttle because of good animation and directing, which really speaks to how popularity is largely based on shallowness and superficial.
    I actually expected that to be a sales point here because it is based on western fairytales rather than again on something Japan based. But I guess I was absolutely wrong on that.^^#



  19. #119

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    I will have to disagree with the bold part. I admit that I only live two years in Japan but throughout that time Tokyo Revengers was quite popular already but as you say not mainstream though. But it was in so many circles where I frequented with. Heck, that was one of the reasons why I didn't want to check the series out because of the circles I frequented with. Usually they have very weird reasons to follow a series that I don't share. Anyways, manga cafes being a big thing here and having the option to read chapters in convenience stores for free which people actually DO is definitely a reason why it gained popularity without boosting the sales numbers. But as always an anime has a huge impact on a manga series' sales.
    Just wanted to end off and say that I'm talking about the english speaking community in terms of popularity. Most of the time when something is good and by the time it reaches manga readers, especially the ones who are constantly searching for quality, it is likely already a big hit in japan. Demon slayer was already a big hit before the anime and even thought it wasn't a gigantic fanbase, it was still a sizeable amount. The mainstream thing is more of a global and english anime communities mainstream.

  20. #120
    Discovered Stowaway Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    福岡

    Default Re: Red Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Just wanted to end off and say that I'm talking about the english speaking community in terms of popularity. Most of the time when something is good and by the time it reaches manga readers, especially the ones who are constantly searching for quality, it is likely already a big hit in japan. Demon slayer was already a big hit before the anime and even thought it wasn't a gigantic fanbase, it was still a sizeable amount. The mainstream thing is more of a global and english anime communities mainstream.
    Ah ok, my bad then. Thought you were talking about Japan itself because of the sales figures, hence my reply. Yeah, I agree on that then.^^



+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts