+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 978: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"

Default 978: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"

According to One Piece, the undisputed authority on the subject, fighting at sea was the least common thing pirates did.

Title: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"
    Chapters Covered: 975
    Episode Director: Kohei Kureta (****)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 978: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"

Luffy, Law and Kid - Episode 978 https://bittube.tv/post/beb0dbdf-b22...b-eb548c4788db

One Piece Episode 979 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; June 12th, 2021 at 06:20 PM.

Came home from work, saw twitter hyping the best animated sequence in the entire series and since I have no self-control I pulled up sakugabooru and spoiled myself to see if it was justified.

Uh.

What the fuck?

I mean,
    holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Did Oda allow all those Flying SMILES? I thought the power of flight was TABOO to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Came home from work, saw twitter hyping the best animated sequence in the entire series and since I have no self-control I pulled up sakugabooru and spoiled myself to see if it was justified.

Uh.

What the fuck?

I mean,
    holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Lol I went watching unaware it would be an "all-star" episode and had the same reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Did Oda allow all those Flying SMILES? I thought the power of flight was TABOO to him!
    Pell was drunk when he said that nonsense.

The animation was really good throughout the episode, but then that Luffy/Law/Kid scene happened and my jaw hit the floor. Holy good lord, that might be the best animated sequence the series has ever had, which is saying something considering how much fantastic animation we've been getting this arc alone.
    Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

Great episode. I like that they expanded on a lot of stuff in this episode. The animation during Luffy, Law, and Kidd's attack on Kaido's crew was amazing as well Kyoshiro's attack at the end of the episode.

Really amazing sequence. I like the Zoro fight with Killer better, though.

Get ready for that to be the last sakuga scene we see in a while. Because the usual Toei movies will take a lot of the good animators away from the series.

Cute butterfly lady.

FOLY HUCK! That really was fucking awesome. I dont even remember that moment being so epic in the manga.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

They over animated everything as usual. I mean if there is hype moment every eps, the REAL hype moments will not surprise us anymore. Not to mention the budget and manpower.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

God while I agree with the sentiment that Sakuga overdose isnt good, I think all the "Over animated" scenes deserved being so.

I figured from the preview that we'd get a good sequence or two to ring in the return of the Luffy/Law/Kid fighting trio and the start of Wano's next phase, but yeah, I was certainly not expecting this episode or even just That One Sequence to be so incredibly stacked. Not stacked with just the usual Toei superstars like Masami Mori, Tomita, etc., but with outside help from folks who've only shown up since the arc began like Takeshi Maenami and Shu Shugita and this time we even got Black Clover's ace Isuta Meister popping up to handle Law's part of that bit. And it's not just that that sequence was well-animated it was extremely ambitious to boot with the camera constantly moving and stuff in the background flying everywhere, etc. Sugita's part of Luffy whipping and falling all around the ship before punching out that Gifter genuinely made my jaw drop.

Outside of the animation highlights Kureta's storyboard worked overtime to elevate exposition that in lesser hands would've been a big snoozefest. The exposition/action/exposition starts and stops were a bit awkward by the middle of the episode but the animators did their best to pour some industrial-grade sealant over the cracks.

I can't wait for them to get out of this rainstorm and away from this garbage sound mixing. I could barely hear the instrumental "Over the Top" during the big action piece 'cause of that damnable rain.

I think the episode would be alot better if OVER THE TOP was playing slightly louder or was swapped with another OST altogether.
    The whole sequence of Luffy Law and Kid would have been abit better (I wanted to use significantly but the animation was really good) if the sound direction was on the top too.

I’m okay with them going all out for this moment. We have so few sea battles in this pirate anime, good to make the one we have look good. Also, keeps otherwise boring interesting. I remember thinking this fight was a waste of time in the manga. Not here.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    They over animated everything as usual. I mean if there is hype moment every eps, the REAL hype moments will not surprise us anymore. Not to mention the budget and manpower.
    Where were you last week? There was no sakuga. People just love to complain. If you keep this up you will never be satisfied period.

Loved the episode, though glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't like the sound mixing. It worked last episode and most of this one leading up the big moment by making you feel like you were "on set" in the storm with the characters, but once the big ship destruction started and Over the Top started to play, they should've toned the rain sounds down and turned the instrumental up to really get you into the moment more.

Other than that, I just loved that Over the Top is being used like this at all. Once the raid got started, one of my wishlist things was for either Over the Top, or We Go to play once the 3 Supernova crews showed up, and it actually happened so I'm satisfied.
    New World is best world.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Get ready for that to be the last sakuga scene we see in a while. Because the usual Toei movies will take a lot of the good animators away from the series.
    Uh no not at all lol, talking a bit out of your ass - plus those movies are still a ways off
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Hey! If I am mistaken just say so! Dont use rude terms like talking out of my ass. I can learn and grow. Sorry if I was spreading misinformation. I love you Skippy.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information