+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 978: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"

Default Re: 978: "The Worst Generation Strikes! Battle On the Stormy Sea"

This animation definitely has a lot of drip.

Yeah the episode was great especially the 3 captains sanking the ennemy's ship. And I like it when anime add some scene that Oda didn't have time to develop in the manga (like when the strawrat crew see the sunny being bombed).

But ! Are we going to see only Luffy and Zoro eyecatch during all Wano ? Like other strawrate are meaningless and only these too count ?
    3DS FC : 0559-6804-1461

Awesome but wtf Laws ability is so broken or what has Law meant with the raining stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D View Post
    Yeah the episode was great especially the 3 captains sanking the ennemy's ship. And I like it when anime add some scene that Oda didn't have time to develop in the manga (like when the strawrat crew see the sunny being bombed).

But ! Are we going to see only Luffy and Zoro eyecatch during all Wano ? Like other strawrate are meaningless and only these too count ?
    I suppose it helps make up for how this episode just adapts 9 pages. People tend to criticize stuff like that, but perhaps there would be less criticism as long as there are enough animation highlights and extension of fights that were short in the manga.

Dear lord, the segment of the Worst Generation attacking the Beast Pirates was just absolutely insane animation. Anyone not watching the One Piece anime now is seriously missing out, they've seriously overhauled it. The only thing that's an issue is the pacing, but it's been that way since at least 2006. And that filler with the crew banter was wholesome.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Toei is on a roll. Just thinking about what they can pump out with the incoming Onigashima fights... oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Awesome but wtf Laws ability is so broken or what has Law meant with the raining stuff
    Law's talking about switching himself with raindrops, hence the brag about being unbeatable when raining.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    They over animated everything as usual. I mean if there is hype moment every eps, the REAL hype moments will not surprise us anymore. Not to mention the budget and manpower.
    "The budget and manpower" certainly has not been an issue thus far in the two years this arc has been going on for. One Piece is Toei's biggest flagship and after all these years they are finally treating it as such.

Also I would argue going super extra with this sequence was very much justified. Entire anime series have had the time to start and end just in the time it's been since we last saw Luffy in action. Treating his return and team-up with two other super powerful and super popular characters with all the splendor that they could muster makes all the sense in the world to me.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I also loved how insanely ambitious that sequence is with camera going wild and a zillion elements per scene! I think the last time an OP animation made me feel that was the Strong World movie...

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Man, we keep praising the animation but the storyboarding was movie quality, too. Also loved some of the other cuts with the SHs and Kyoshiro.

I too was browsing Twitter, except I was away from home and not at a computer, and saw Twitter exploding over the episode. I didn't have a chance to watch it until this morning. For the third week in a row, I actually watched Skippy's review before I saw the actual episode. lol

Well, that was amazing. I don't know how the aniwan community's outpouring of support reaches Toei's eyes as far as the amazing sakuga we're getting, but I hope Toei also understands and appreciates that the staff changes made for Wano are producing results that are really energizing the community.

How have One Piece's ratings in Japan been since Wano began? Or is there perhaps another metric that Toei might be looking at as far as eyes on each episode? Streaming stats? Hashtags on social media?

Someone who's more plugged in to the discord scene could probably answer in more exact detail than I can, but I've noticed a definite uptick in social media engagement from the One Piece team since the Wano arc began. Staff members like Tu, Ishizuka, Nakashima, Kureta, even Yokoyama and the production manager Tetsuji Akahori, have been tweeting about their work. The show's official twitter account has started posting the raw genga for big scenes throughout Wano (in fact they advertised Shu Sugita's appearance on this episode by posting his part from the opening prior to the episode's airing) which is a turnaround from a few years ago when Toei apparently forbade its staff from doing so due to Dragon Ball Super-related bashing. It certainly feels to me like the staff are being empowered in ways that they might not have been before. Toei's other output has been pretty solid lately as well so it definitely feels like the studio is trying to modernize itself even if, being such an old and conservative company, there've been a few unfortunate asterisks and "two steps forward, one step back" moments along the way.

And last but certainly not least, I recall Skippy writing either here or on twitter about a year ago that the morale of One Piece's staff was at an all-time high and I can't imagine that that sentiment's changed since as the proof is in the pudding.
    Last edited by Crossword; June 13th, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Heck, animation was top pick!

On a side note it makes me laugh so hard the way Denjiro's scene came out differently from the manga, where the ship cutting happens almost nonchalantly. In the anime it looks like "Hey, Worst Generation were trying to destroy the ship all together and they ended looking like all three of them were needed while Denjiro is a beast who solo'd it." Denjiro seriously grown on me as chara.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    "The budget and manpower" certainly has not been an issue thus far in the two years this arc has been going on for. One Piece is Toei's biggest flagship and after all these years they are finally treating it as such.

Also I would argue going super extra with this sequence was very much justified. Entire anime series have had the time to start and end just in the time it's been since we last saw Luffy in action. Treating his return and team-up with two other super powerful and super popular characters with all the splendor that they could muster makes all the sense in the world to me.
    Yeah like, there were actually many reasons to go so hard on this moment.

In no order:
    1) A moment like this has been building up since Sabaody. Ever since the three of them stood together, we've been waiting for them to "wreak havoc in the New World." Most of us couldn't comprehend back then that that would mean going against 2 Yonkou at once.

2) This is the first action sequence of the start of the raid on Onigashima, a huge moment for the series in general.

3) Like you said, we've had a HUGE flashback and also downtime in action since Luffy, the main character, and the Straw Hats were on screen. This episode is returning us to the real main focus of the show in a big way. There were also fun action moments from a lot of Straw Hats.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post

In no order:
    1) A moment like this has been building up since Sabaody. Ever since the three of them stood together, we've been waiting for them to "wreak havoc in the New World." Most of us couldn't comprehend back then that that would mean going against 2 Yonkou at once.

2) This is the first action sequence of the start of the raid on Onigashima, a huge moment for the series in general.

3) Like you said, we've had a HUGE flashback and also downtime in action since Luffy, the main character, and the Straw Hats were on screen. This episode is returning us to the real main focus of the show in a big way. There were also fun action moments from a lot of Straw Hats.
    I mean “real main focus” implies that the focus on Oden was fake focus. I don’t think Oden was ever meant to fake anything. Sure Luffy is the leading main character, but that doesn’t mean other characters can’t take the spotlight every now and then, even if Oden is meant to help enhance Luffy’s story at the end of the day.

In no order:

Can agree with you on all of these points, this was much deserved.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Where were you last week? There was no sakuga. People just love to complain. If you keep this up you will never be satisfied period.
    OP anime spams sakuga every 4 episodes or so. Not even seasonal anime with unlimited budget does that. And too much sakuga for the sake of sakuga is not a sign of a good anime. OP anime pace is still all over the place, maybe even worse than the manga.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    OP anime spams sakuga every 4 episodes or so. Not even seasonal anime with unlimited budget does that. And too much sakuga for the sake of sakuga is not a sign of a good anime. OP anime pace is still all over the place, maybe even worse than the manga.
    I'm sure someone who actually likes One Piece can make this argument better but...this is nonsense. It's an animated series having good animation is not a negative, it's a positive. It's like saying "the dialogue is too good!" or "the sound direction is too good!" The animation is good because the staff want to express their feelings how they want to express their feelings and are actually able to find the time and resources to do so.

I don't want to be a bitch here but holy shit, this is nonsense.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I mean “real main focus” implies that the focus on Oden was fake focus. I don’t think Oden was ever meant to fake anything. Sure Luffy is the leading main character, but that doesn’t mean other characters can’t take the spotlight every now and then, even if Oden is meant to help enhance Luffy’s story at the end of the day.
    Oden's a focus for the arc, but he doesn't carry precedence over the Straw Hats. The Straw Hats and their allies are who will succeed at what he couldn't do. Him and the Scabbards are important, they're what attempt to get you emotionally invested in the arc and setup a lot, but yeah they're not the main characters and Worst Gen. Real main focus for the show, as I said, not the arc.

Oden's a focus for the arc, but he doesn't carry precedence over the Straw Hats. The Straw Hats and their allies are who will succeed at what he couldn't do. Him and the Scabbards are important, they're what attempt to get you emotionally invested in the arc and setup a lot, but yeah they're not the main characters and Worst Gen. Real main focus for the show, as I said, not the arc.
    I didn’t say Oden had to be a main character though, and I’m glad One Oiece can give focus like that as much as it did to characters like Oden even though he’s not one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information