+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

Default Re: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    I'll rephrase the question then. If someone has been quiet and unproductive all "day", would you lynch them?
    Probably not, unless I suspect them otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Didn't want to vote for starla since it's her first time
    Aww thank you xD, yes I'm still learning! Making sure I'm active, but I am having fun so far! ^^

If anyone has a question for me in the meantime, I'll be trolling the thread till I go to bed.
    I do. What made you decide that signing the lease for this apartment was the perfect fit for you? Just curious about your story! If you share yours, I share mine!

... Hard disagree with this. Inactive players might act as a minor buffer against scum manipulation, but they act as a much bigger inhibitor towards correct lynches....
    I understand the reasoning behind this, but to me early calls for inactive lynching is pretty much a scumtell. Granted this only works if majority of the players disagree with me because otherwise inactivity becomes a good hiding tactic for Mafia... I know it sounds roundabout and kinda wifom-y... You know what I am talking about?

Noted, appreciate the response. You get first pick of the cookies I'm baking later~
    Yay~ cookies!

*puts Shuhan's name in the never ever ever lynch list*

... See, my line of reasoning against this is that bandwagoning is a big no-no in my book. Voting while not giving any thought process is treacherous waters and I just can't get behind that....
    Any specific reason why you are so against bandwagoning? I mean, by definition someone has to bandwagon otherwise pretty much no one would be voted out. Like suppose you are voting for Starla, cuz you suck and think they are scum, and you are short on votes, would you rather I join your wagon and get the lynch or I fabricate a never bandwagon policy to hinder the vote?
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    To be honest, I have been the inactive player voted out in the past, and from my perspective, I get it.
    What? Why would anyone ever shoot you to death?

Thanks to everybody who answered my question. Everybody prefers the day 3 lylo which seems reasonable to me too. It wasn't a very hard question, but the amount of individual responses is encouraging.

I will agree with jabs that having inactive people around just for town numbers isn't worth it or actually has an inverse effect like he has demonstrated. Then again, this game will probably be over in about three days anyway with only 8 people. So I don't think we will really have any choice. If there's inactive people, I feel like we just lose. So keep it up, everybody.

Not me though, this might be my last post for today. :P

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind this, but to me early calls for inactive lynching is pretty much a scumtell. Granted this only works if majority of the players disagree with me because otherwise inactivity becomes a good hiding tactic for Mafia... I know it sounds roundabout and kinda wifom-y... You know what I am talking about?
    Feels rather nebulous. You're saying that calls for inactivity-based lynching seem scummy to you so long as inactivity isn't actually a common issue in a given game, right? Or just so long as you don't see inactivity as a suitable cover for a Mafia. But then wouldn't being the single inactive person then become the perfect cover for a Mafia? If it's uncommon and frowned upon but there's significant enough resistance to an inactivity-based lynch, that's great cover for both not being lynched and not getting nightkilled.

I guess my question is, where do you draw the line? Do you consider me prodding the last folks to show up scummy? Does the casual vote make it more scummy? To me it feels fairly routine to apply a little pressure to make sure everyone's chatting. I'm not usually the one to do it first, but then I'm also usually killed off for one reason or another. Can't hurt to try a somewhat different strategy when I've got a perfect losing record.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also signing off. See y'all Day 2, Enel willing!

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Feels rather nebulous. You're saying that calls for inactivity-based lynching seem scummy to you so long as inactivity isn't actually a common issue in a given game, right? Or just so long as you don't see inactivity as a suitable cover for a Mafia. But then wouldn't being the single inactive person then become the perfect cover for a Mafia? If it's uncommon and frowned upon but there's significant enough resistance to an inactivity-based lynch, that's great cover for both not being lynched and not getting nightkilled.
    That's a fair point, and I agree that it is rather wishy washy. However, to me it seems that Mafia can also use inactivity as a reason to take heat off of themselves (which they do). That's not to say inactivity helps the town in anyway, or that putting pressure votes on someone to force activity isn't a reasonable townie tactic. Which brings me to...

I guess my question is, where do you draw the line? Do you consider me prodding the last folks to show up scummy? Does the casual vote make it more scummy? To me it feels fairly routine to apply a little pressure to make sure everyone's chatting. I'm not usually the one to do it first, but then I'm also usually killed off for one reason or another. Can't hurt to try a somewhat different strategy when I've got a perfect losing record.
    I'd say I wouldn't immediately scream SCUM at an accusing party, rather I think this behavior is part of a number of tells that I tend to keep an eye out for. Check enough boxes and I would be forced to take action.

DAY ONE - END

Eight players are alive, five votes were required to lynch. Without five votes, no player was lynched.

NIGHT ONE - BEGIN

You have 24 hours to PM me if you wish to perform any Night actions.

Because it's the first night and I'm feeling lenient, I will give everyone a little more time to let me know if they would like to perform any night actions.

Expect an update and a start-of-day post around 6 PM EST!

NIGHT ONE - END

~~~~~~

Aside from your involuntary incarceration, your first day in the basement had passed more or less like your first month in the building: Uneventfully.

At first, in response to some mutinous conspiring from around the room, Kirby had produced from behind his back a mean looking automatic shotgun. He had laughed then, knowing none of you could stand a chance against him, and trudged back up the stairs, locking the door to the basement behind him.

Time had passed somewhat slowly, then. Some of the tenants had spent the day probing each other with questions, but most had passed the time by joking about their current circumstances, and the shoddy state of their apartments.

You didn't get the jokes, mostly because your apartment really was quite lovely.

At one point, you had been convinced that one of the tenants was going to be the subject of a lynching... but almost as soon as the first accusation had been made, it had also been retracted.

Eventually, you had heard the landlord unlocking the door to the basement, letting you and the other seven tenants back into the lobby of the building on Moonlight Alley.

"Still eight of you, eh?" Kirby had smiled. "Well, we'll see how long that lasts..."

With the cold blue steel of his shotgun, he had then waved you and the other tenants back upstairs to your units for the night. When you made one last, desperate attempt to open the front door, he had quickly pointed the weapon at you.

"Don't even think about it. You've a job to do."

And so, you had retired to your apartment (it really was quite lovely) for the night...

~~~~~~

The next morning, you make your way back down to the lobby. There, you see Kirby again, this time standing by the door leading down to the basement. He smiles a wide, toothy grin at you.

"Heard you all getting up to some mischief last night," he laughs.

Then, he motions you toward the door with his automatic shotgun.

"Go on, they've been waiting for you."

Descending the stairs into the basement, you come upon a scene very similar to the one you'd seen the day before. There, the other seven tenants are sitting, tapping their feet. Some of them have worried expressions on their faces, some of them are eyeing each other with heightened suspicion, and others look simply confused. As you hear the door lock behind you, you become convinced that today will not go as pleasantly as yesterday had...

~~~~~~

DAY TWO - BEGIN

Eight players are alive, five votes are required to lynch.

48 hours remain.

Cool! No one died last night. That's great...

But, still I am pissed! Why am I pissed you ask? Well, that's because someone stole something precious from me last night!! That thing was the only good thing in my life right now, and I was looking forward to seeing what it was capable of... Damn you person X!

Now, I am willing to let it go, but, I need to know who took it, AND WHY!!

Cool! No one died last night. That's great...

But, still I am pissed! Why am I pissed you ask? Well, that's because someone stole something precious from me last night!! That thing was the only good thing in my life right now, and I was looking forward to seeing what it was capable of... Damn you person X!

That's quite curious, kmo. Because something was stolen from me last night too, and it seems rather unlikely to me that we'd have multiple thieves. In fact, I suspect that you might be the one who stole from me and are now covering your tracks! And frankly I'd really appreciate it back, since it's only got one use and I don't trust it in your hands at all.

Because there was no kill last night, I think we have two possible scenarios: either the kill was prevented in some way or the mafia chose not to kill. I'm eager to hear from everyone else in case someone else has something interesting to report too.

Full transparency, I took your thing Jabs. And the fact you came right out and said what you did makes me feel a little better and props up my theory.

Kmo though, I had nothing to do with your thing.

The issue I'm having with the mafia deciding not to kill is why wouldn't they? There is no real reason for them not to especially with so few players. Considering there are items circulating, it's possible their kill function is an item.

That's quite curious, kmo. Because something was stolen from me last night too, and it seems rather unlikely to me that we'd have multiple thieves. In fact, I suspect that you might be the one who stole from me and are now covering your tracks! And frankly I'd really appreciate it back, since it's only got one use and I don't trust it in your hands at all.
    Yes curious indeed. Well, I think everyone has a pretty good idea of what was stolen from you. Though it also seems likely now that there ARE indeed multiple thieves...

Because there was no kill last night, I think we have two possible scenarios: either the kill was prevented in some way or the mafia chose not to kill. I'm eager to hear from everyone else in case someone else has something interesting to report too.
    Me too.

Kmo though, I had nothing to do with your thing.
    Ninja'd and... Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Full transparency, I took your thing Jabs. And the fact you came right out and said what you did makes me feel a little better and props up my theory.
    Did you decide to go after jab yourself, or was it decided for you? If former, why did you choose jab? And also, are you corroborating that the thing jab said was taken from them is indeed the thing you took from them?

I chose Jabberwok myself, mostly because I wanted a better read on them.

I can also say they have been truthful with what they have said.

So, we have at least two things stolen. Shuhan has admitted to stealing from Jab. Seems likely that there are multiple thieves at play. Shuhan also used the term "items circulating" but did not claim that anything was in turn stolen from them. So, a number of questions that I would appreciate were answered:

1. Jab, did you steal from anyone?
    2. For that matter, can a person steal while something is being stolen from them?
    3. Who stole from me, and why?
    4. Are there any others who stole from someone else, or had things stolen from them?
    5. Why weren't there any deaths last night? Was the kill prevented (or blocked) like Jab theorized? Item based kill mechanic, like Shuhan proposed? Or to think way outside the box, do we even have Mafia? In which case, it makes sense that Kirby said that this was a "Mafia-type" game in the opening post. Something else entirely??
    6. Where was Kirby hiding the shotgun when they initially met me by the door?
    7. Who stole Shuhan's coffee maker? Can you please stop?
    8. Does Huschel still have his beard?
    9. Would it be wise for everyone to come clean regarding what they stole, who did they steal it from, and why?

*says this to everyone* So, how did everyone sleep? Also, for some reason I was broken in, but no one stole anything. It is quite weird. So, if it was any of y'all, who was it? And what were you looking for?

What was the exact item stolen?

2. For that matter, can a person steal while something is being stolen from them?
    I think so yes!

3. Who stole from me, and why?
    I wish I knew...

4. Are there any others who stole from someone else, or had things stolen from them?
    Well, I was broken in, but nothing seems to have taken.

5. Why weren't there any deaths last night?
    I guess no one wanted to kill anyone, or maybe they are planning for the perfect moment. *shrugs* I don't know, but it's a good thing we all alive right?

Or to think way outside the box, do we even have Mafia?
    Maybe they go by a different name to cover up that they are Mafia.

6. Where was Kirby hiding the shotgun when they initially met me by the door?
    Hmmm. I think he might have magic powers! Or... it might have been hiding in his room and he decided to bring it out when we saw him again! Still... why does he have a shotgun to begin with? I guess he really wants to get the bad guys. Maybe he's like Batman, Batman Kirby! O.O

7. Who stole Shuhan's coffee maker? Can you please stop?
    I theorize it was maybe the same person that stole your precious item.

What was the exact item stolen? And apparently Shuhan said they stole it!

I chose Jabberwok myself, mostly because I wanted a better read on them.
    What item did you stole from Jabberwok? I'm just curious if you remember.

What an interesting night. Considering that at least three people claim to have been broken into last night(and two of them with items stolen), there's at least three theives of some kind. Whether any of them are aligned with the mafia is yet to be seem, however.

The issue I'm having with the mafia deciding not to kill is why wouldn't they? There is no real reason for them not to especially with so few players. Considering there are items circulating, it's possible their kill function is an item.
    Based on what we've heard so far, I think its likely that the mafia's ability to kill is through items. With such a small game, I think its likely that the mafia started out with no items and at least one thief. This would allow the town a greater chance of getting more time to scum hunt, while also having town-aligned thieves potentially steal back items from the town.

However I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on that theory as well.

Also nothing was stolen from me and I was not broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Well, I was broken in, but nothing seems to have taken.
    Double checking on this- is this flavor or an actual message you received?

And this is a bit forward to feel free to decline to respond, but if it's not flavor, do you have any idea why the attempted theft was unsuccessful?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    What an interesting night. Considering that at least three people claim to have been broken into last night(and two of them with items stolen), there's at least three theives of some kind. Whether any of them are aligned with the mafia is yet to be seem, however.
    This is true. Maybe this might be a connection, maybe the thieves are part of the mafia? Though it might be the work of one or two people.

Based on what we've heard so far, I think its likely that the mafia's ability to kill is through items.
    What do you mean kill through items? Can you give an example?

Also nothing was stolen from me and I was not broken into.
    I'm glad, that's a good thing!

What do you mean by flavor? The reason I know someone broke into my apartment was that I woke up to someone walking around, and I hid underneath my blanket and pretended to sleep. After they left, I woke up and looked at what was taken, but it turns out nothing was. This was around 3:00AM by the way.

And this is a bit forward to feel free to decline to respond, but if it's not flavor, do you have any idea why the attempted theft was unsuccessful?
    I think they were looking for something specific, and I didn't have it. Seems they wanted something specific of value or something. I don't know.

I will answer you in a bit Star but first.

@Jabberwok: you were notified when I stole your item?

@Jabberwok: you were notified when I stole your item?
    I was notified just a few hours before Day start. Don't know when you snuck in but I highly doubt I would have been notified before all night actions were taken, if that's anything.

Shuhan be like
    Spoiler:

Oh it's flavor, I never got notified. Just role playing my character 0.0

Guess it was not one of you then >< Maybe it was a ghost in my apartment! *shivers*

I will answer you in a bit Star but first.
    Alright! ^^

Sorry for being confused Jabberwok on earlier! >_<

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information