+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lost media search for the og Skypiea Cartoon Network episodes (Need Eps 169-195)

Default Re: Lost media search for the og Skypiea Cartoon Network episodes (Need Eps 169-195)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmint View Post
    Aren't the "uncut" broadcast episodes literally the same thing that was on the DVDs?
    IIRC the DVD releases for Skypiea have a totally different dub using the same voice actors.

Default Re: Lost media search for the og Skypiea Cartoon Network episodes (Need Eps 169-195)

I know they redubbed much of the early Jaya content at least... Not sure how extensive said redubs were and how long they kept that up for though.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    IIRC the DVD releases for Skypiea have a totally different dub using the same voice actors.
    I remember there being scenes in the broadcast that were then identical on DVD. It wouldn't really make sense to start from scratch, as they had DVDs in mind when it was first dubbed. The redubs where just to make the characterisations more accurate and in line with the first two Seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by popgreens View Post
    A couple months back I rummaged through the old discussion posts on the forums about these episodes back in 2007-8 when these aired. The only surviving links to those were from the Australian releases. 171, 178, 180, 181, 185, 186, 190-195 were the only ones with working download links after all these years and I downloaded them. They're all low quality but its something: https://mega.nz/folder/UghmCTzQ#su5gyYf5dI7fA0mIs_rsAw

Thanks for doing this. I got into One Piece nearing the end of the last decade, so I was really interested in watching what was a lot of people's first introduction to One Piece. I know edited cuts of uncut dubs aren't a super high priority on the Lost Media radar, especially since separate lost dubs in general are more interesting subject-wise, but I always find it interesting how broadcasting standards affect a show's airing. The Odex and 4kids dubs were completely found and are easy to get now, so I was surprised that there were a lack of backups of these versions online until you came around.
    First off, sorry for being completely negligent here - I've been extremely busy the past few months (but I could've sworn I've checked back here since August ), but thank you, thank you for these!!!

Second, I'LL BE DAMNED! These were all right here under our noses the whole friggin' time lol. I, too, scrounged around many of those threads, but I guess the wrong ones because they were all full of dead links (and assumed the rest were as well). Maybe I'll try the ol' wayback on some of the other broken ones and see if I happen to strike gold. 15 episodes to go baby, I just might see 'em again before I kick the bucket after all!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    I know they redubbed much of the early Jaya content at least... Not sure how extensive said redubs were and how long they kept that up for though.
    Yes, several instances in the earlier episodes were redubbed, specifically entire lines that had many uses of "Zolo", such as the Mihawk vs. Zoro flashback in episode 151 (though it's hard to tell if both versions were recorded at the same time and were just alternate takes, or if they were done at a later date before the DVD releases). Now that I have some of these Australian episodes that were broadcast uncut, I'll compare to see whether there was extensive redubbing specifically for the DVDs, as no edited alternate takes were factored into the equation at the point (as far as we know).
    Last edited by wjbraden; November 8th, 2021 at 10:05 PM.

Ok, so I've had a chance to do a few comparisons, and it looks like there were indeed some retakes that happened through the end of Skypeia (and not just from Robin)! Here's the differences I spotted in episode 190, along with what appears to be an instance of censorship of dripping blood (or at the very least a timecut on Cartoon Network Australia's end), which reaffirms that these broadcasts weren't exactly 100% "uncut". *Sorry for the audio quality in the CN AU clips, After Effects spit it out that way.*

Kind of puzzling why they bothered with little insignificant stuff like this, especially since "Wow, my plan worked. That's weird." sounds funnier than plain ol', "Wow, my plan totally worked!" But I digress.

I didn't realise that they were re-dubbing lines that far into Skypiea. I guess they were trying to make Luffy seem less self-aware and give him a smaller vocabulary, and that the DVD version is probably more accurate to the subtitled dialogue.
    I can see how easily "CN Australia switched to the uncut version of the dub" would get simplified into "CN Au aired those episodes uncut". The same thing happened to Dragon Ball Super in the UK; mid-way through, they start using the Toonami version with their own cuts applied.

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    I didn't realise that they were re-dubbing lines that far into Skypiea. I guess they were trying to make Luffy seem less self-aware and give him a smaller vocabulary, and that the DVD version is probably more accurate to the subtitled dialogue.
    I can see how easily "CN Australia switched to the uncut version of the dub" would get simplified into "CN Au aired those episodes uncut". The same thing happened to Dragon Ball Super in the UK; mid-way through, they start using the Toonami version with their own cuts applied.
    Yeah, I can kind of see how Luffy talking about "the bad guy" would seem a little too 4th-wall like. As it happens, the DVD line is closer to the sub for the aforementioned line, but not at all for the other.

Can't seem to find it atm, but I'm also sure that a few swears like "bastard" were cut/muted as well, not unlike Pop did for Super as you mention.

So the last edited episode was when Robin fought Yama correct?

So the last edited episode was when Robin fought Yama correct?
    Yep, episode 174 (135 by the edited ep count). I don't suppose you might have anything banging around on an old hard drive or some such thing do you ...

No. I am surprised these edited episodes are lost. I guess people didn't care to keep it in circulation.

No. I am surprised these edited episodes are lost. I guess people didn't care to keep it in circulation.
    Yep, you and me both haha. It's especially surprising since even lessor known anime tvrips from way back when still make their rounds. I have a feel a lot of... "alternative" platforms, shall we say, did stream them for a long while, but swapped them out with the Voyages over time.

Did you ask the person named "Mendinso" on Twitter for episodes? They used to post here when the episodes aired and maybe they saved some edited ones

Did you ask the person named "Mendinso" on Twitter for episodes? They used to post here when the episodes aired and maybe they saved some edited ones
    As it so happens, yes I have, just yesterday actually! :p

I had previously chatted with him earlier this year and said he was fairly certain he didn't have anything anymore. But I happened to be google-ing around last night and stumbled across an old tweet of his from 2019 where it looks like he had a few of these Australian rips in his possession (including episode 170, which is one that we're missing https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/...226348032?s=20). Haven't heard anything back yet though.

Also another relevant discovery: I found all of the original torrent/files names of the rips that came from cartoon-world for reference if anyone reading this wants to search around any old hard drives: https://www.tokyotosho.info/search.p....avi%22&type=1

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information