Closed Thread
Page 263 of 321 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 313 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,260 of 6405

Thread: American Politics: So long Trump!

  1. #5241

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    AOC might leave politics next term, because as she says centrist Dems are accusing the progressives of costing them House seats:
    https://news.yahoo.com/aoc-said-she-...l&uh_test=2_15

    Don't leave us, Alexandria! Noooo!!
    I take this more as challenge to the the centrist than she actually planning to leave, as "Stop blaming the more progressive part of the party every time the other parts also under perform."

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Clap, clap, clap. This is BY FAR my biggest gripe with the current trends of American liberalism/progressivism/left, whatever you want to call it. How in the world did people even arrive at these conclusions in the first place? How does it even make sense to left-leaning people that we should fit entire populations into well-defined boxes based on their ethnic origins/gender/sexual orientation/whatever and assume that everyone in there thinks and behaves the same way? This is exactly the same logic racists used historically! This is assuming racist propositions but using them to base opposite types of policies. It's not only far from reality, it's ethically, morally wrong. It's the antithesis to what left-wing movements have historically defended: liberty, equality, fraternity. The ideals of the Republic, the founding words of the American declaration of independence. "All man are created equal".

    The goal should be for everyone to be judged for WHO they are, not WHAT they are. By their actions, not their looks. For all to be equally treated as citizens. For that to happen, you can't keep treating people as stereotyped groups and try to cater to their feelings by putting in place candidates who look and talk like them.
    Internet leftist is a wild place, I wager that, as much internet right had it's breeding ground on /pol/, internet left had it's breeding ground on old tumblr. Both want to see the world under their lenses or nothing else.
    On gender and sexuality they have to mince it even further creating a dozen of ultra specific boxes that you must fit or you are a movement traitor. Trigger warnings are a type of speech censor disguised as protection of those that faced hardships.
    If you say of thing differently from their mob, they will relentless harass and guilt trip you. They rather call Bolivia's situation a right wing coup believing in a freaking Elon's tweet, than take what happened form a bolivian or a south american word on the account.

  2. #5242
    King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NOT with ugly big brother Katakuri

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    They rather call Bolivia's situation a right wing coup believing in a freaking Elon's tweet, than take what happened form a bolivian or a south american word on the account.
    I agree with the rest you said. But what happened in Bolivia was a coup. If the USA participated in it? I doubt it, otherwise they wouldn't have had a new election with a massive socialist victory. Whether you think it was justified because of Evo's behavior is a whole other discussion. But it was a coup. The military ousting a sitting president and an opposition leader self-proclaiming themselves president with their backing is essentially the definition of a coup. Maybe it was for the best. Portugal ousted its fascist regime and gained a stable modern democracy thanks to a military coup. But what happened after Evo's ousting, and what right wing fanatics did to indigenous people and MAS members was of regrettable violent extremism that should not be justified.

  3. #5243

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The upside is that Biden has a pretty decent chance of beating him again if he runs in 2024.
    well, would he though? Because now he'd have the same handicap as Trump in 2020 - now having presidential record working against him, especially if corona is still a problem down the line. I'm not the biggest fan of Biden either, my vote was less for him and more to get Trump out.

    I personally think it'd be a REALLY bad idea for the Democrats to make him run in 2024. He'd be over 80 years old. Enough with the older candidates, both parties need a younger and fresher boost to their image, both need to start crafting who new will represent them next election.

  4. #5244

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    I agree with the rest you said. But what happened in Bolivia was a coup. If the USA participated in it? I doubt it, otherwise they wouldn't have had a new election with a massive socialist victory. Whether you think it was justified because of Evo's behavior is a whole other discussion. But it was a coup. The military ousting a sitting president and an opposition leader self-proclaiming themselves president with their backing is essentially the definition of a coup. Maybe it was for the best. Portugal ousted its fascist regime and gained a stable modern democracy thanks to a military coup. But what happened after Evo's ousting, and what right wing fanatics did to indigenous people and MAS members was of regrettable violent extremism that should not be justified.
    The point was not people were unsatisfied with Evo's party politics, and more people were fed up with Evo pusing the constitution and laws to perpetuate himself in power. Had he pulled a Putin, nothing of what happened probably would've happened.

  5. #5245

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    well, would he though? Because now he'd have the same handicap as Trump in 2020 - now having presidential record working against him, especially if corona is still a problem down the line. I'm not the biggest fan of Biden either, my vote was less for him and more to get Trump out.

    I personally think it'd be a REALLY bad idea for the Democrats to make him run in 2024. He'd be over 80 years old. Enough with the older candidates, both parties need a younger and fresher boost to their image, both need to start crafting who new will represent them next election.
    Low information undecided voters are apparently mindless drones who will vote for a jar of mustard if it's the incumbent, just look at how much votes Trump got just now. Biden should definitely run again if dems want the best chance of winning, bar a complete and utter scandal that puts Trump's corona failure to shame.

    Personally I'm very eagerly awaiting more polling to come out as to the ranking of reasons why so many people went for Trump again.

  6. #5246

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Low information undecided voters are apparently mindless drones who will vote for a jar of mustard if it's the incumbent, just look at how much votes Trump got just now. Biden should definitely run again if dems want the best chance of winning, bar a complete and utter scandal that puts Trump's corona failure to shame.
    well, barring Biden personally refusing (bc age) or a death in office.....I guess he'd go for it?
    Although it depends on how badly people still stick to this "hur dems rigged biden's win" narrative. Stubborn conspiracy theorists are even more mindless than undecided voters.

  7. #5247

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    well, would he though? Because now he'd have the same handicap as Trump in 2020 - now having presidential record working against him, especially if corona is still a problem down the line. I'm not the biggest fan of Biden either, my vote was less for him and more to get Trump out.

    I personally think it'd be a REALLY bad idea for the Democrats to make him run in 2024. He'd be over 80 years old. Enough with the older candidates, both parties need a younger and fresher boost to their image, both need to start crafting who new will represent them next election.
    Not simply that both parties need to change their strategies involving voters Republicans in particular need to retire the Southern Strategy while tuning out those in political positions that won’t, coddling and spoiling the rich(which includes themselves), stop keeping their voters dumb, deaf, & blind, stop trying to starve and keep people sick and hurt, and trying to send this country back into the early mid 1900’s.

    And given the direction the party’s been trending in since about 2001/2003 That sure as shit ain’t happening.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 10th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  8. #5248

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    I agree with the rest you said. But what happened in Bolivia was a coup. If the USA participated in it? I doubt it, otherwise they wouldn't have had a new election with a massive socialist victory. Whether you think it was justified because of Evo's behavior is a whole other discussion. But it was a coup. The military ousting a sitting president and an opposition leader self-proclaiming themselves president with their backing is essentially the definition of a coup. Maybe it was for the best. Portugal ousted its fascist regime and gained a stable modern democracy thanks to a military coup. But what happened after Evo's ousting, and what right wing fanatics did to indigenous people and MAS members was of regrettable violent extremism that should not be justified.
    What happened in Bolivia sounds like that if you pay attention only after Evo gets ousted, the lead up was Evo making a referendum to change the constitution to ask if he was allowed to be re-elected indefinitely, losing that, changing the constitution anyway, and then on election night having a sudden power and count blackout while he was losing, and then when thing go back online he’s wining without any possibility of audit. Is it a coup is the president is not legitimate?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  9. #5249

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    What happened in Bolivia sounds like that if you pay attention only after Evo gets ousted, the lead up was Evo making a referendum to change the constitution to ask if he was allowed to be re-elected indefinitely, losing that, changing the constitution anyway, and then on election night having a sudden power and count blackout while he was losing, and then when thing go back online he’s wining without any possibility of audit. Is it a coup is the president is not legitimate?
    We moved this discussion to private max. Although I'm thinking of creating a World Politics thread, if we can bitch about the american one and the eurobros exiled their own thread, we should ge our own with blackjack and hookers no nazis or populists.

  10. #5250

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I was wondering if there'd ever be South American, African, Asian, and Australian politics thread. Does Antarctica have politics too?
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

  11. #5251

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    Does Antarctica have politics too?
    There's a documentary on it, directed by John Carpenter. They say it's pretty good.

  12. #5252

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Man, the White House is a maze! Living there as president you probably have to know where everything is or risk getting lost. [At least Biden would know where everything is since he has been here before.] It's still pretty cool and would be fun to explore, especially with the building having a lot of history in it:



    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Clap, clap, clap. This is BY FAR my biggest gripe with the current trends of American liberalism/progressivism/left, whatever you want to call it. How in the world did people even arrive at these conclusions in the first place? How does it even make sense to left-leaning people that we should fit entire populations into well-defined boxes based on their ethnic origins/gender/sexual orientation/whatever and assume that everyone in there thinks and behaves the same way? This is exactly the same logic racists used historically! This is assuming racist propositions but using them to base opposite types of policies. It's not only far from reality, it's ethically, morally wrong. It's the antithesis to what left-wing movements have historically defended: liberty, equality, fraternity. The ideals of the Republic, the founding words of the American declaration of independence. "All man are created equal".
    Yeah, I honestly know the feeling. It feels like to me that since I'm transgender and pansexual, I should automatically have viewpoints from everything on the left and look down on the right. But in reality, I have a mix of viewpoints from both sides and I don't look down on the right, even having a good friend that is a Trump supporter. And yeah, it's not good to put all of us in the same box. Though both sides are guilty of this to be honest, as both sides assume things in their own way depending on the group, and it sucks.

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  13. #5253

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1326237779848802304

    Reporter: "Senator, have you congratulated Vice President Biden yet?"

    Sen. Ron Johnson: "No."

    Reporter: "Why not?"

    Johnson: "Nothing to congratulate him about."
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1326229172507848711

    “There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration.” -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, one week after Trump lost the election to President-Elect Joe Biden
    Let's be very clear about this: this is an attempted right-wing coup.

    Meanwhile, Jape Tapper (CNN) and Ryan Lizza (CNN, Politico) are moaning about Biden's "unprecedented" lack of transparacy and call to deplatform former Trump administration officials.

  14. #5254
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I personally think it'd be a REALLY bad idea for the Democrats to make him run in 2024. He'd be over 80 years old. Enough with the older candidates, both parties need a younger and fresher boost to their image, both need to start crafting who new will represent them next election.
    If Biden appointed Buttigieg to a cabinet position he might get enough experience to make a stronger run if needed. Not that the majority of Liberals wouldn't happily vote for Kamala Harris, and she's only 56.

  15. #5255

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Let's be very clear about this: this is an attempted right-wing coup.
    Like Tom Lehrer said:"Send the marines!"

  16. #5256

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Biden just got a bunch of coup related questions handed to him on a silver platter but he was non-confrontational and handled Trump with kid gloves. Yeah... looks like my stress levels are gonna rise again, didn't need to sleep well anyway.

  17. #5257

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Oh no, he didn’t panic or insulted him. He’s totally not going to do a thing.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  18. #5258

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I'm not saying that, I'm just concerned that people aren't being made to know about this shit. He doesn't want be divisive, but can't he at least say Trump is up to no good? It's not a good thing if people aren't even aware that there's actually preparation for a coup. Even if it's going to fail, this is nonetheless worrying and people should at least be aware.
    https://isthisacoup.com/
    To be fair, this site doesn't believe today's events have shifted further towards a coup, but progress towards one is still there.
    An update to the Coup-o-meter: the meter has not moved toward democracy or toward a coup.
    There continue to be very troubling developments, but taken as a whole, the danger of a coup has not increased since our last update.

    There are a number of reasons for concern: The refusal of the GSA to authorize funds for Biden's transition team, the refusal of prominent Republicans to recognize Biden as the winner of the election, and Barr's overturning of longstanding DOJ policies against investigating voter fraud before the results are certified. However, the immediate and public resignation of the Justice Department official who oversees investigations of voter fraud is exactly the kind of response that public officials should undertake in cases like this. These actions weaken our country and violate norms, but they do not reveal a path to seize control of the country.
    The firing of Secretary Esper is troubling but appears to be retaliatory as opposed to part of a plan to activate the military domestically. This action was widely understood to be in the works before the election.
    There are also a number of reasons for hope: votes continue to be counted deliberately and fairly, the media continues to treat Biden as the president-elect, and some prominent Republicans and many world leaders have congratulated Biden.

    These are troubling days for democracy, but at this time we do not believe that momentum has shifted toward a coup. We will continue to monitor the situation.
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; November 10th, 2020 at 02:13 PM.

  19. #5259

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now





    I admit I'm getting this advice from this particular political journalist, but to summarize it in short, Biden may have gathered a team of people and funds to start his transition a while ago. In other words, he has people already working on this issue. I believe he also has an army of lawyers in case Trump tries fight them in court.

    Trump's actions are worrying, but having Biden argue with Trump in public doesn't really help anything even if it's warranted. He doesn't need to. There are better ways to counter these actions.

  20. #5260
    New World Demon DemonX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Damn, the forums have been around for like a week again and I forgot to check if they're back on. Would have been fun to follow the elections with you guys. Was too lazy to search for the right Discord link...

    So glad Biden made it. Let's hope he'll also get to be sworn in on time....

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts