+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 989: I Can't Imagine Losing

Default Chapter 989: I Can't Imagine Losing

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007482

We waited nine years for this! Enjoy!
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Default Re: Chapter 989: I Can't Imagine Losing

Author Comments: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-09-06-2020

Eiichiro Oda

I met Arashi again. As before, they were so genuine and so easy to talk to.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

So Kaido bought the numbers over 20 years ago ? That doesn't make sense.

Also @andy

So Jinbe , Zoro or Sanji can't fight against commander level guys ?
    Everyone is not at the same level as Kat or has his abilities , like you think snack ( who get beat by a supernova ) or smoothie or cracker at his same level .
    All of Kaido commanders are not going to be at his level it has never been that way in history of the manga .
    As for being 5th strongest aside from the fact luffy now has the 5 th highest bounty is the series for a alive person name one crew aside from the yonko that can match his that we have seen ?

We if we going that WB did not accomplished shit in war before he died , neither did the admirals since luffy get away .
    King and Queen are stronger than Jack. Sanji, Zoro and Jinbe have nothing on Jack. It's that simple.

WB was beating down everyone, if it wasn't for him being a constant threat with every move he made, Luffy would never reach Ace.

Also WB beat John Giant, Ronse (one shot them) he beat Akainu in 2 blows, was fighting with severe injuries and even bested Teach. In the end he gave the middle finger to Sengoku and died the most epic death in the series. Compare those things to Big Mom being an utter doofus and you get one great Yonko and one absurd comic relief character.

So that is like another eight flying devil fruits huh

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post

Also @andy

King and Queen are stronger than Jack. Sanji, Zoro and Jinbe have nothing on Jack. It's that simple.

WB was beating down everyone, if it wasn't for him being a constant threat with every move he made, Luffy would never reach Ace.

Also WB beat John Giant, Ronse (one shot them) he beat Akainu in 2 blows, was fighting with severe injuries and even bested Teach. In the end he gave the middle finger to Sengoku and died the most epic death in the series. Compare those things to Big Mom being an utter doofus and you get one great Yonko and one absurd comic relief character.
    Sorry but you underrate them if you truly believe they can't take down Jack. Zoro and Sanji got power-up for a reason. Hell Zoro is aiming for Kaido again this chapter yet he still can't take down the weakest commander?? Don't be stuck on powerscaling from 300 chapters ago in a series where it was stated that the crew grow stronger each island.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    So that is like another eight flying devil fruits huh
    I don't think Smiles count.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Discovered Stowaway

prediction for next chapter:

- Usopp throws a bunch of jellybeans on the ground and a pissed off Big Mom slips and falls in a HILARIOUS double page
    - 3 more numbers get one shotted
    - Sanji kicks and sends Queen flying into the ocean while Zoro cuts King's arm off
    - Minks throw Kaido around and hurt him with electro while Kaido screams in pain
    - Kaido throws a boro breath but it gets cut by Kinemon
    - Last page double spread of scabbards with Denjiro saying "wow everything is going fine so far man the emperors are trash LMAO"

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    Sorry but you underrate them if you truly believe they can't take down Jack. Zoro and Sanji got power-up for a reason. Hell Zoro is aiming for Kaido again this chapter yet he still can't take down the weakest commander?? Don't be stuck on powerscaling from 300 chapters ago in a series where it was stated that the crew grow stronger each island.
    You think Kin'emon, Raizo, or Kiku can take down Jack? They also aimed for Kaido and got him good.

Love seeing the SHs together in a awesome spread.

I remember some time ago there were discussions about how long would Wano take to end, and this chapter reeeeeally gives me the feeling we're not even close to finishing. Everyone is so carefree and looking good. Can't wait for the tides to turn and we get some drama going!

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    You think Kin'emon, Raizo, or Kiku can take down Jack? They also aimed for Kaido and got him good.
    In a surprise attack. I fully expect Zoro to perform better. I mean he could always come just to job but I doubt it.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Anyone can beat up Jack he is just a punching bag.

Gaimon could beat him up.

I like how Ulti suddenly disappeared this chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post

Also @andy

It not that simple because there nothing in the manga that show Jinbe for eg not on there level , he was warlord and you telling me he not commander level .
    There is a reason they call them to fight WB i mean come on now , nothing Queen or King show more impressive that stopping Akainu fist with there hand .

And a confuse BM beat one of Kaido commanders easy and fought another Yonko for a day with no problem .
    The SH plot armour saving them for now don't take away from that since luffy plot armour save him during the whole war with the 3 most powerful people in the marines .

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    I think one of Joy boy problems is looking down on the SH to much .
    How can you think a warlord like Jinbe would be out class by a commander , have a hard fight yes but not outclass .
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

This is why I still love One Piece after so many years, while other shounen battle series eventually annoy me. Numbers matter. Surprise attacks matter. Big Mom is certainly stronger than any strawhat individually, but teamwork works to at least slow her down. Kaido is a monster, but in an entire arc dedicated to making a surprise attack possible, that surprise attack will actually do some damage. Too many shounen make numbers and tactics irrelevant as powerscaling goes out of control after every arc until it becomes just dumb. In One Piece at least, the scaling isn't hardcoded, and outside factors, tactics and ability synergy actually makes a difference. I eagerly await the next chapter already.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    This is why I still love One Piece after so many years, while other shounen battle series eventually annoy me. Numbers matter. Surprise attacks matter. Big Mom is certainly stronger than any strawhat individually, but teamwork works to at least slow her down. Kaido is a monster, but in an entire arc dedicated to making a surprise attack possible, that surprise attack will actually do some damage. Too many shounen make numbers and tactics irrelevant as powerscaling goes out of control after every arc until it becomes just dumb. In One Piece at least, the scaling isn't hardcoded, and outside factors, tactics and ability synergy actually makes a difference. I eagerly await the next chapter already.
    Nicely said, totally agree!

The chapter title makes more sense now that he sees the crew he's hitched his fate to standing there all proud and defiant. That twinkle in his eyes and the cut to the big spread is quite good at instilling a sense of confidence in the alliance

I have no interest in those Numbers and the quicker they get out of the picture the better.

Sanji with the suit off.. I'm expecting him to power up through pure force of will!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

This chapter reminded me that I should give Thriller Bark another reread. Out of all the major arcs it's probably the one I'm least familiar with. The potential for a Straw Hat tag-team against King and Queen is a very unique option that pretty much no one predicted and I hope that it pans out. Franky's quote was icing on the cake.

Although, my worries of Kaido vs. the minks getting offscreened is growing stronger with every chapter. The fact that we've yet to see Inu and Neko using Sulong does give me hope that that won't be the case, but we'll see I guess.

Sometimes fans like to write off databooks, and there are certainly times where the creators don't seem to be on the same page as Oda, but Vivre Card came in the clutch here when it revealed that Oars Jr. was an ancient giant. Had we not had that, there'd be a fair bit of mystery over Big Mom's revelation about the Numbers. Though I wonder, why was the experiment a failure? The Numbers don't seem to have the mental faculty of a normal person, but they still look like quite the trump card. Looking forward to seeing Usopp take them down.

Spoiler:

2005-2006 reloaded

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information