View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 490 of 506 FirstFirst ... 390 440 480 488 489 490 491 492 500 ... LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,800 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

And Vegapunk reveals the efforts of his genius. A creation so powerful, it transcends the capabilities of the Ancient Weapons.

Introducing - the storm about to create waves over the seas. The gust ready to sweep all off their feet into a new age of freedom. The phenomenon beckoning all to come together under its relation of joy, harmony and imagination...

...the future of the world has been born and the savior of it shall be - the virtual idol Vee-chan. Or should we go with Punk-chan for more edge?

Punk-chan shall end the age of Piracy and bring forward a new age of...Passion.

The Straw Hat Pirates will help Vegapunk save Punk-chan and she will become the new member of the Straw Hat Pirates.

When the crew reach Laugh Tale, it will be revealed that the One Piece is a musical record the genius musician Joy Boy created 900 hundred of years ago. He was not able to share such profoundness with the world during that time but the age now calls for such a miracle to rise. Punk-chan x Soul King Brook will bring about a world of One Peace. Barriers of indifference will dissipate and hands of unity will join together under the common love of the age of passion. The Tenryuubito will come face to face with their actions and realise the error of their ways. They will use all resources at their disposal to connect the world with Punk-chan. During the worldwide concert, Punk-chan will don a pirate cosplay and wear an eye-patch. Jinbe's dream of bringing about a connected world under the Sun will result and Luffy will have a party with the whole world.

Spoiler:

The future that exist presently:

The end.

Oda: "This is the end I planned since conception. May we all exist in One Peace.

...Also Punk-chan's new album - One Peace - will be dropping next week Wednesday, so please consider supporting her dream and passion. A collaboration with Hatsune Miku is also planned. Thank you everyone!"

The age of passion is upon us .

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Its a good thing this thread is about the next crewmate of the strawhats and not characters with little to no dialogue or appearances and their relevancy to the overall story.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Who's more irrelevant...

A character that only appears in 3 small panels over 3 chapters with one liners...

Or

A characters that appears and *has* long dialogues in 3 chapters and more...

I'm not saying names as not to be toxic, it's the rule around here right?
    Honestly, Yamato has felt like she has had more teamwork with Luffy at Wano than with Carrot. After what happened with Jack and Perospero, I suppose it could feel less linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gol D. Silvers View Post
    Yeah. I also love the idea that the crew will potentially be leaving Wano with two members. One veteran and one "rookie" haha

To be honest, I had concerns when Yamato went with Momo but that's more of what meaning you attribute to that(subjective); what only matters is Oda's intent and he had Yamato say twice that he wants to sail with Luffy.

Edit:

Has Jimbei's dream ever been explicitly stated? Has he ever said it on-panel or just implied since it was Otohime and Tiger
    I don't think so, but I never paid much attention to Jinbei in the first place. At least I don't think he's had any big moment declaring "this is my dream" like the other Strawhats.

If there's any Jinbei fans in the thread please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I don't think so, but I never paid much attention to Jinbei in the first place. At least I don't think he's had any big moment declaring "this is my dream" like the other Strawhats.

Probably the closest Impel Down got to touching on Jinbe's fishman equality dream was him talking about fishmen and merfolk being captured and sold off at Fishman Island, followed by recognizing Whitebeard as a hero despite being unsure of humans in the first place. Even though Luffy didn't see him as a friend at the time, I think they worked rather well as a team from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post

The problem is that we are mostly focusing on the dream, in other words the desire, and we do not focus enough on the need. Each strawhats has one or more needs. That where their dreams comes from.

For Jinbe there it was multiple:

Jinbe needed to let go of his responsibilities and need more than anything else to honor his queen's dream, which is to make the world of fishmen a better place, in peace with humanity. More than a dream, Jinbe is driven by his respect for his peers.

Look for that, and you might stubble upon the next strawhat.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Probably the closest Impel Down got to touching on Jinbe's fishman equality dream was him talking about fishmen and merfolk being captured and sold off at Fishman Island, followed by recognizing Whitebeard as a hero despite being unsure of humans in the first place. Even though Luffy didn't see him as a friend at the time, I think they worked rather well as a team from the start.
    In hindsight, Jinbe's introduction and how he was built up as a crewmate remains to be the outlier - met Luffy at a time he was separated from everyone and his delayed recruitment. Overall, a good fit for the crew.

About time they got a serious character hehe. Can't wait for Yamato to join and add another quirky personality to the cast.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but there's something I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on regarding Yamato. It's obviously noteworthy that Luffy gave Yamato a nickname, and many people have pointed out that this is bad sign for Yamato's chances of joining the crew. However, his use of a nickname for Yamato is remarkable to me for a few reasons:
    • Luffy gives nicknames in a few specific ways, including shortening (To-ra-fa-ru-ga -> To-ra-o), description (Kid -> Gi-za-o/Jaggy guy), mispronunciation (Cavendish -> Cabbage), or association (Pekoms -> Pekomamushi, like Nekomamushi). Yamao is in the style of shortening, but doesn't actually shorten the name, making it completely unique within the series.
    • He gives nicknames to people that he either doesn't care about, or people who have difficult names. However, he will eventually learn medium difficult names of people that he's on good terms with, even if they aren't crewmates (Rebecca and Hancock being good examples of this, but Trafalgar being too hard for him to learn despite considering Law a "nakama"). Yamato, on the other hand, is not a difficult name, with the nickname itself being the same difficulty as the original name (Ya-ma-to -> Ya-ma-o).
    My question is: is Luffy's use of a nickname a symptom of an unresolved plot thread, and if so how do you guys think this will be resolved? Yamato reacted to hearing the nickname by attempting to correct Luffy, which is itself a very rare occurrence within the series (only Cavendish comes to mind, I'd be curious to hear other examples). Oda choosing to have Yamato attempt to correct Luffy mid-battle sets up the expectation that Luffy will use the name eventually, though it could also be to reinforce the idea that Yamato still believes himself to be Yamato (he could have said "I am Oden!", but he said "Ya-ma-to!"). As an example of a possible unresolved plot thread, Luffy's making a nickname inconsistent with all his past creations could be a symptom of his confusion at seeing Yamato call himself Oden. This would mean that Oda is signaling us that Luffy will stop using the nickname Yamao when Yamato stops calling himself Oden.

In hindsight, Jinbe's introduction and how he was built up as a crewmate remains to be the outlier - met Luffy at a time he was separated from everyone and his delayed recruitment. Overall, a good fit for the crew.

About time they got a serious character hehe. Can't wait for Yamato to join and add another quirky personality to the cast.
    Speaking of which, I suppose if it can be compared, then Yamato holding back Kaido from hurting anyone else beyond Kinemon while Luffy and Zoro were down was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed before, but there's something I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on regarding Yamato. It's obviously noteworthy that Luffy gave Yamato a nickname, and many people have pointed out that this is bad sign for Yamato's chances of joining the crew. However, his use of a nickname for Yamato is remarkable to me for a few reasons:
    [...]
    his past creations could be a symptom of his confusion at seeing Yamato call himself Oden. This would mean that Oda is signaling us that Luffy will stop using the nickname Yamao when Yamato stops calling himself Oden.
    Careful, Law is not considered a Nakama by Luffy, but a friend, those are different (for example, it's the same for Momo)

It's indeed a bad sign for Yamato, it's a sign of disinterest and lack of full respect.

On the other hand, This is not a bad way to think about it.

"To be Oden" most likely means to be without fear and free.. Luffy could be using the name Yamato or even Oden if Yamato really start to make a difference noted by Luffy.

People overthink the whole nickname thing, Luffy calls Law by a nickname even though he wants him to join but called Kiku by their name even though they were never really friends or spent much time together, and its like everyone has forgotten that Luffy only started to call Chopper by his name AFTER he joined
    Last edited by IIskandar1997; October 9th, 2021 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrotForNakama View Post
    Careful, Law is not considered a Nakama by Luffy, but a friend, those are different (for example, it's the same for Momo)
    He says "コイツはおれの仲間になったんだ!!", which is literally "This guy became my crewmate!!". The connotation of crewmate is why Law objects, he wouldn't object if he just called him a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by IIskandar1997 View Post
    People overthink the whole nickname thing
    Fair, but Oda knows that people think about these things, so I do get the feeling he's playing a game with it. I find it interesting to try and consider reasons for why Oda would choose to have Luffy make such a unique nickname, and whether Luffy will change for a specific reason, or whether he'll do what he typically does and just learn it after some practice.

People just use it as it fits their point of view, that's all. They don't want to acknowledge any possibility that might hurt their opinion...

So I'm just gonna do the same and twist and turn it the way I like it....

Carrot is such a boring character, with such a simple name that Luffy can't even come up with a funny or interesting nickname for her... there is nothing rememberable about her no special or unique trait, nothing... that's why Luffy has no other choice but to call her by her real name...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Speaking of which, I suppose if it can be compared, then Yamato holding back Kaido from hurting anyone else beyond Kinemon while Luffy and Zoro were down was pretty sweet.
    Hmmmm if you're referring to how it's a different set-up from the others, yes hehe. Showcase that this upcoming crewmate is a powerful one hehe. I'm super excited once the crew members see firsthand how strong Yamato is. How the weakling trio will feel safer with the Monster trio plus Jinbe and Yamato being part of the crew.

I'm all in with Yamato joining as I've mentioned but I am keeping my mind open to disappointment if Oda decides to have Momo and Yamato as leaders of Wano to the dawn. Parallel sons of Kaido and Oden as champions of Wano. I hope that's not the case at all because it'll be weird that after the exposition Yamato got, he'll be left behind. He may have been late to the whole saga but from the time he was introduced, he's been a consistent presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    He says "コイツはおれの仲間になったんだ!!", which is literally "This guy became my crewmate!!". The connotation of crewmate is why Law objects, he wouldn't object if he just called him a friend.
    https://i.imgur.com/FhqfePU.png
    Hm weird I got "compagnon" in google trad, which would be much more logical in that context. Luffy is basically saying "what are you doing, that guy is my friend", mentionning that law become his crewmate in that situation does not make any sence. But granted, I'm not japanese, I'm just following the french translation.

My guess is that he will start calling her by her name when her identity crisis is solved

He may have been late to the whole saga but from the time he was introduced, he's been a consistent presence.
    Can we really say Yamato was introduced too late at this point? It has been over a year since she was introduced and Wano is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by IIskandar1997 View Post
    My guess is that he will start calling her by her name when her identity crisis is solved
    What have we seen so far that would make you believe that 1) Yamato sees it as an "identity crisis" and 2) is trying to "get over it"? Just a few chapters ago in the flashback, we saw that Yamato has been identifying as Oden since childhood. As of now, some 50+ chapters after being introduced, there hasn't been a single instance that I can think of where Yamato questioned the Oden identity thing. The closest we got was "My other name is Yamato," but even then it was more of an "I'm Oden and Yamato."

Can we really say Yamato was introduced too late at this point? It has been over a year since she was introduced and Wano is still going.
    The problem is not Yamato's introduction in fact her introduction is spot on. No. The problem is the setup.

The setup for the introduction of Yamato preceeds her introduction by just a few chapters. It's not enough by Oda's standards. In fact this is quite exceptionnal with him.

Most of the time those major revelations are setup HUNDREDS of chapters in advance. For example, the Sulong was setup 80 ich chapters before the actual revelation and their was a reminder (a second setup to refresh the readers mind) 5 chapters in.

For such a revelation (Kaido's son), the minimum requirement (by Oda standards) would be around chapter 820 when he had an opening with Kaido's dialogue on Kid's body, but he did nothing. He had a second opening before Wano, and multiple during Wano.

A setup this late in the story ("where is my son") is very ...very strange. This make Yamato appears as a late revelation, an addon.

It could have multiple reasons:

- Oda just forgot about Yamato before writting the second half of Wano (unlikely)
    - Oda invented the introduction of Yamato VERY early in his author's career, at the time his mastery of setup could have not be the same, but he decided to stick to it anyway. (unlikely)
    - Oda invented Yamato very late in the story, to be more like a tool in service of the story.

I'm leaning toward the third case, Oda had to come up with a way to stall Kaido/Tease Luffy's dream/help Momo.. and I think Yamato was the perfect way to do that.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Luffy will start calling him by his name once he sees his hybrid and full mythological zoan forms.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information