View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 486 of 506 FirstFirst ... 386 436 476 484 485 486 487 488 496 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

You have to ignore basically the entirety of One Piece to come to the conclusion that Yamato is *staying* when this is done.

No one in the series who has a dream, that they state repeatedly over and over and over, that they've had for *years*, just gives it up and changes their mind. They may need help to escape their current situation to start said dream, but they don't just abandon it the moment its finally in their grasp.

Unless they're a villain, obviously. But they get beat up and if they didn't personally murder a parent figure, many of them get new, less evil dreams.

Yamato doesn't HAVE to join the crew, but he DOES have to leave Wano.

(After 1016 there's no zero doubt for me that he's joining the crew, but I'll concede that direct declaration somehow not being convincing enough for some.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    It would be kind of cool if Kaido and Big Mom got replaced as captains of there crews by Yamato and Katakuri, and eventually become allies of the Straw Hats, maybe help in the final battle with what ever force the Black Beard Pirates summon, who knows

then again I’m not sure what kind of power could face off against three Yonko crews combined
    If the World Government's SSG invention is able to displace the Warlords then they're at a place to take on the 4 Emperors. The Shichibukai combined with them was more of a buffer or balancer because of their unpredictability, but an even stronger force combined with Cipher Pol and the Marines would probably risk it, especially if Big Mom and Kaido are both out of the action. I lean more towards the idea that Big Mom will change than that her crew will need a new captain, but I like the overall idea. Not sure about Yamato taking over the Beast Pirates because they've been pretty freaking vile to the people of Wano. It could be a sort of restitution, I suppose, but it's hard for me to see. Much easier to see Yamato joining the Straw Hats.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

For those that promote the possibility of Yamato staying in Wano after the arc, what reasoning sustains that premise?

Is it Yamato's bond with Momonosuke and his respect/love for Wano? What do you believe Yamato would seek to accomplish by staying in Wano?

Obviously protect Wano from something, eventually, maybe.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I mean, it's pretty obvious that the new poster was replying to this post:

Yamato will join and will be the last member. This is the most obvious thing in all of the series. It's really that simple and anything else is reaching.
    Is it a little distatestful as a first post? I suppose, but their name is carrotfornakama and the post it's replying to hasn't been referenced at all as similarly distasteful.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

For those that promote the possibility of Yamato staying in Wano after the arc, what reasoning sustains that premise?

Is it Yamato's bond with Momonosuke and his respect/love for Wano? What do you believe Yamato would seek to accomplish by staying in Wano?
    The reason is they haven't read 1016. Every time I glimpse in here there isn't really much to say beyond that. Like there isn't much fun in arguing when the manga itself states the motivation and the source material doesn't give you anything in the way of why it should be subverted especially when the author isn't known for said type of subversion.

On the both will join train of thought I only would have to say that I don't currently believe in that because of how they've been positioned in this raid. If that does happen though Oda has the monstrous task ahead of him in making 3 new people gel and play off each other int he remaining time he wants to allocate for the series which to everyone seems too short right now. The alternative is we believe Oda has become a hack and will just drag some characters along as main crewmates that barely have anything to them which for now I refuse to believe. The one thing Oda has never disappointed me on in even my most disliked arcs is spending the necessary time to make me attached to any important main character.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 5th, 2021 at 10:37 PM.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Reason my post is not distasteful is because it's what's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I was considering the possibility of Yamato forming his own crew more than staying at first (it was even in my signature before I decided to change it), but I feel there has been many more hints of a deeper love of Yamato for Wano (and bonding with Momo) than at first, so I consider that more likely than him forming his own crew right now.
    Last edited by TLC; October 6th, 2021 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Deep bond.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Obviously protect Wano from something, eventually, maybe.
    Momo, the Scabbards, Shinobu, Hyogoro, and others can be there to help out. Not sure why Yamato would want to keep being there 24/7 when they're there.

Hey everyone, this is my first comment on AP, but I've been enjoying the last few pages of discussion and thought I might as well start posting.
    It should be noted the heightened focus Yamato and Momonosuke are getting is very telling to the direction in which it appears to be heading. More focus is given to Yamato spending time with Momonosuke now because in the future, Yamato won’t be around to assist Momonosuke. The possibilities of what Momonosuke’s Dragon form can do is being taught by Yamato now rather than later. And the capabilities aren’t simple ones, they are tremendously powerful abilities that give the user the ability of “flight” and moving gigantic pieces of land through the sky. Why would such focus be so prominent now? Once Momonosuke learns these abilities, what would Yamato achieve by staying in Wano Kuni after the Beast Pirates are defeated? To protect Momonosuke and Wano? That rationale falls flat when one considers that both Momonosuke and Yamato realise that the best way to protect Wano is to achieve that which Oden was unable to fulfill – assist the one carrying on Joy Boy’s will.
    I really liked this post, as it expands on the feeling of the relationship between Yamato and Momonosuke in a satisfying way. It's easy to say "Momo thinks of Kinemon/Kiku, but Yamato is there" and jump to thinking Yamato as a retainer, but Yamato is acting more like a Luffy substitute. It also jumped out to me that Yamato's demeanor towards Momonosuke (using -kun, bonking him with his kanabo, etc.) is very different from the Scabbards towards Momonosuke or Oden. If Oda was building towards Yamato as a scabbard, having Yamato be more respectful would have been a natural direction to go.

Regarding the recent guardian discussion, I think the big unknown is what it will actually mean for Wano to be open. Yamato is clearly willing to fight for Wano, but he won't be the difference maker for defending against a WG or BB invasion once the Strawhats leave. However, he said he wants to unleash the Samurai on the world and would fight for Wano in the coming war. We also know that the WG wants Wano to remain closed, so maybe an open Wano with a united force of samurai won't be so easy to invade/control, and Yamato can be true to his love for Wano and "protect" it by representing it on the sea.

The problem I have with the reasoning of Wano needing to be protected by having Yamato remain is that it is a narrow and flat reason when read within the context of the Oda's writing. It completely ignores the character arc Yamato has been given by Oda - yes, Yamato's repeated declarations are meaningful and representative of Oda's intent. How do those words and dreams of Yamato align with protecting Wano?

Protecting
    Wano entails more than staying within Wano. Yamato AND Momonosuke, the future shogun of Wano Kuni, realise that.

Oda has seemingly set it up so with the manner in which he structured the overall story. There was a reason Oda had Momonosuke read Oden's journal.

The best way to protect Wano is to obviously keep the borders closed but the story requires Wano to be opened - why? What purpose does Wano serve? Merely to exist and wait for their enemies to attack? Obviously not. Wano will become allies to the Straw Hat Pirates because they represent the best solution to the problem of Wano being in danger. By Joy Boy's purpose being fulfilled, the threat of the World Government will come to an end.

Oda has built Yamato's story up to exist beyond the Wano Kuni arc story. Yamato has also been aligned with assisting the person carrying on Joy Boy's will. Unlike the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates who are not aware that their efforts within the Grand Line will result in substantial changes around the world, Yamato does have an idea of how important Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates are to the future of the world. Oda introduced Yamato now because after Wano Kuni, the Straw Hat Pirates will evolve from rookies attempting to challenge the Big Fish within the New World to a force that dictates the direction of the age. For that characters likes Jinbe and Yamato are necessary within the Straw Hat Pirates. These characters possess knowledge that can assist the Straw Hat Pirates become a Pirate Crew like no other. The knowledge Jinbe has of Sun God Nika will come into play later and potentially Yamato may provide some context to it.

It's okay to believe in a certain possibility but it does need to be reconciled against the larger story of One Piece. Do readers believe that Oda will not have Yamato visit Ace's grave after the set-up he has given such an emotionally-loaded moment? Oda went out of his way to feature both Ace and Yamato alongside Luffy, Sanji and Zoro in the milestone volume 100. Oda has not forgot about the relationship Yamato and Ace formed. And then there is the story of the Oni. Once Kaido is dealt with there will be only one other character (currently confirmed) left to advance the story of the Oni. Considering how important Kaido was, the story of the Oni will be relevant going forward and will be explored in more depth. Staying in Wano does not achieve either.

What would Oda seek to achieve by keeping Yamato within Wano Kuni?

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Hey everyone, this is my first comment on AP, but I've been enjoying the last few pages of discussion and thought I might as well start posting.
    Hey Roosta! Nice to meet you.

Prior to the DF reveal, I didn't really have anything concrete. It was just a hunch. After the DF reveal, it was mostly that. DFs are used to define characters throughout the series. Yamato has a history of admiring and being protected by the people of Wano. He has also said that he will protect Wano on more than one occasion.

Yes. He said he wants to sail and go on adventures and he 100% will. That doesn't mean that it can only happen as a SH immediately after this arc. We know the WG/CP-0 already had an interest in Momo's DF, so it's possible that they will attempt to capture him or take over if Kaido is no longer a threat. If that happens, then it sure would be helpful to have Yamato around instead of the "Guardian Deity of Wano Country" being no where near Wano when it's under threat.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    If that happens, then it sure would be helpful to have Yamato around instead of the "Guardian Deity of Wano Country" being no where near Wano when it's under threat.
    I just want to point out that, as far as I know, there's no implication of Okami No Makami is the only guardian deity Devil Fruit. I personally think that there are others, including at least the Yamata No Orochi fruit, since it was presented as having "the power to make [Orochi] shogun".

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    It also jumped out to me that Yamato's demeanor towards Momonosuke (using -kun, bonking him with his kanabo, etc.) is very different from the Scabbards towards Momonosuke or Oden. If Oda was building towards Yamato as a scabbard, having Yamato be more respectful would have been a natural direction to go.
    I think the retainer theory has very little going for it but Yamato not being respectful enough towards Momonosuke isn't one of its weaknesses. The Scabbards revere Momonosuke, sure, but they never shied away from calling Oden names or physically assaulting him. They were his retainers first and foremost, so being respectful at all times isn't a necessary criterion.

Regarding the guardian deity stuff again, Yamato's Devil Fruit ability isn't the only guardian deity around. There is the Mountain God, Luffy's Gear 4 reminded Hyogoro of another guardian deity most probably different from the Okuchi-no-Makami, Yasuie even called the Scabbards Wano's future guardian deities. Seems to me that there are plenty around and that it's not even something based on looks or ability alone, anyone supporting the Shogun can become one. Putting that in contrast with Yamato's ambitions and desires which have been bottled up for two decades and were reiterated multiple times over the course of over 40 chapters, those outweigh pure symbolism that's easily replaceable by far.
    Last edited by Coookie; October 6th, 2021 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Momo, the Scabbards, Shinobu, Hyogoro, and others can be there to help out. Not sure why Yamato would want to keep being there 24/7 when they're there.
    I agree.

The idea of Yamato having to stay behind to protect Wano from *insert danger* doesn't click for me. It seems out of context. Like grabbing some elements instead of the whole character. I find it akin to thinking: "I shouldn't go out today in case I get hit by a car". "I shouldn't leave Wano before it can protect itself, but what if, it's not enough? What if they still need my help even after rebuilding", there is no end to that train of thought.

In terms of what will happen to Yamato after Wano, what if Luffy and Yamato become siblings, like Ace and Sabo once did? They could both visit Ace's grave. "The sake cup I was waiting to drink with you", something like that, right?
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; October 6th, 2021 at 08:36 AM.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Regarding the guardian deity stuff again, Yamato's Devil Fruit ability isn't the only guardian deity around.
    I think some of the confusion here comes from TCB translating Kaido's line as the Okuchi No Makami being "the guardian deity of Wano", so people assume that it is singularly special in this sense.

For all you claiming Yamato has to stay because he looks like a big dog deity. You all know that's the same logic as the villain right? The villain who intentionally imported the fruit into the country to feed it to some sap to make a proxy Shogun to make it easier to control the country, right? And Yamato only ate it by accident because he was literally starving.

Hey Yams, I know you want to leave this island that has been a prison to you for most of your life but you ate the dog fruit because your dick dad was starving you so now you have to stay and be a symbol to our people, it's your responsibility because you were hungry.

Has Yamato at any point been shown to love Wano more than Franky loves Water 7 or Nami loves Cocoyashi? Is his bond with Momo more impenetrable than Sanji’s with Zeff or Chopper’s with Kureha?

The point has always been that Yamato will gain the freedom to choose what he wants to do. With Wano's borders open, people will finally be allowed to enter or leave freely. Clearly Yamato may choose to go with Luffy like he's been saying. But what has been shown more often is the growing bond between Yamato and Momo, the children of mortal enemies but united in saving and opening Wano. It would be equally Yamato's choice, not his burden, to stay with Momo instead, with the included freedom to sail anytime or to reside on Wano's mainland, rather than shackled in Onigashima.

This brings to mind a storyline from To Your Eternity, an ongoing manga that just finished its first anime season:

Spoiler:
    There's a girl named Tonari who's lived on an island of convicts since she was very young, a place where murder and crime is rampant and celebrated. She came with her father who killed his wife, and was not allowed to leave even after he himself was killed. She tricks the immortal main character, Fushi, into being enslaved and convinces him to enter a tournament to decide the island's ruler, who has the authority to let people leave. In the end, she becomes ruler and orders that all children be allowed to leave. But Fushi gets caught and wrapped up in a destructive monster fight, so she comes back to help and ultimately decides, freely, to stay on the island to rebuild it and make it a better place to live.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    I agree.

The idea of Yamato having to stay behind to protect Wano from *insert danger* doesn't click for me. It seems out of context. Like grabbing some elements instead of the whole character. I find it akin to thinking: "I shouldn't go out today in case I get hit by a car". "I shouldn't leave Wano before it can protect itself, but what if, it's not enough? What if they still need my help even after rebuilding", there is no end to that train of thought.

In terms of what will happen to Yamato after Wano, what if Luffy and Yamato become siblings, like Ace and Sabo once did? They could both visit Ace's grave. "The sake cup I was waiting to drink with you", something like that, right?
    I imagine that Yamato could be like a big sister in a way that’s more distinct from Nami and Robin, like going along with his antics more.

Closed Thread

Thread Information