View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 452 of 506 FirstFirst ... 352 402 442 450 451 452 453 454 462 502 ... LastLast
Results 9,021 to 9,040 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Out of topic for a sec, it was revealed that Yamato will be voiced by Saori Hayami. She's one of the most promiment female seiyuu out there with amazing range, she usually voices tomboyish character like Mordred of Fate and Kanbaru of Monogatari among others.

Too big of a seiyuu. Methinks Yamato's chance is kinda... decreasing lol.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I do not agree with the basis of Vivre Card and voice actor logic when it comes to this subject.

I found it weird that they'd reveal Yamato before his anime debut (which would be next week, thought I don't know if the face reveal is in there or the following episode).

Worst, they put Yamato in the clip that is meant to inspire girls. Yamato gender issues will keep being a hot topic in online forums, lol.

And, while all of these are meta-hints, thus very subjective, both the high profile VA and Yamato being away from the Straw Hats in the 3-part poster go against his chances of joining.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I do not agree with the basis of Vivre Card and voice actor logic when it comes to this subject.
    It's easy. OP is a long running anime; thus, using high profile voice actors are hella expensive for something that is on air for many years.

But Hayamin's reveal is treated as the next big thing TM and ppl are already hyped for her as Yamato... if nothing else it's a good publication lol.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Out of topic for a sec, it was revealed that Yamato will be voiced by Saori Hayami. She's one of the most promiment female seiyuu out there with amazing range, she usually voices tomboyish character like Mordred of Fate and Kanbaru of Monogatari among others.

Having a big-name seiyuu hurts Yamato's chances, now? Sorry, but I find that line of logic...unconvincing.

If choosing a talented VA with a lot of name recognition is meant as a sign that Toei doesn't expect Yams to stick around, what kind of VA would be a sign that he is?

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Sawashiro (Pudding) voiced Mordred and Kanbaru.
    The only Monogatari role Hayamin has is Ononoki.

You guys really find signs in everything

Odd... Why would a VA, who has a impressive resume, go against Yamato's chances?
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Ok so we went from keep moving forward to 5 acts to panel size to voice actor notoriety now, huh

the never-ending hell ride of the nakama thread in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    Odd... Why would a VA, who has a impressive resume, go against Yamato's chances?
    Money. A VA that's regularly on the show for years until its end will be paid more often than one that is scheduled for just an arc and later spare cameos.

They usually select lower cost VAs for regular characters.

Thus, Yamato getting a high profile VA may indicate that the character is not meant to keep appearing regularly after Wano.

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by legumes View Post
    Ok so we went from keep moving forward to 5 acts to panel size to voice actor notoriety now, huh

People are just trying to add evidence to their theories, everything can count towards that. None of those things make or break a theory, thought, they are just small signs that add or subtract small chunks of "chance" off a theory.

If people can't handle theorycrafting, they should stay away from a thread that tries to predict the future.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I'm not going to take anything outside the narrative as a sign one way or another for any character.

I don't even know enough about VA's to contribute to the conversation in that regard. I do know with network TV, you can kinda tell when a character is unlikely to become a series regular based on the fame (cost) of the actor cast in the role. Like, you knew Will Ferrell wasn't going to stay on The Office as Steve Carell's replacement. The network could never afford to pay him for 22+ episodes per year. Of course, things have changed with streaming networks. But the best example I can think of is the original plan to cast Michael Keaton as Jack Shepherd in the pilot of Lost only to kill him off at the end of the episode. Obviously it didn't happen and I'm glad, but casting such a high profile actor would have been a very clear sign Jack wouldn't be sticking around for the entire series as they could never afford to pay such a high salary for the entire run of a show. General wisdom with network TV, the higher the profile of the actor cast in a role, the shorter their time on the show will be. An actor like Paul Rudd will play Bobby Newport for half a season / 5 - 6 episodes of Parks & Recreation, but he would never become a semi-regular character like Perd Hapley or Jean Ralphio.

I don't know if things are similar with VA's, but I guess there could be some wisdom in considering the potential cost for a character destined to become a series regular. If they're too famous / high profile, their salary could become a concern over time. There's also the fact that very high profile actors have the luxury of choice and often don't want to be locked down to a single project. I think that's far less of a concern for voice acting than it is live action however.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree this casting is a sign against Yamato joining as I honestly have no knowledge of this VA, but I can understand the rationale for someone making that argument.

Again though, I'm really only looking at the narrative itself when it comes to signs of any character joining as the rest of the stuff is subjective and open to interpretation.
    Last edited by Vongola_Boss_XI; August 30th, 2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

i'm sure we are all experts in how much VA contracts cost and whether or not Toei can afford this in one of their longest running and profitable series

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    People are just trying to add evidence to their theories, everything can count towards that. None of those things make or break a theory, thought, they are just small signs that add or subtract small chunks of "chance" off a theory.

If people can't handle theorycrafting, they should stay away from a thread that tries to predict the future.
    i think there's a big difference between grounded arguments based on facts/patterns followed by the author versus far-fetched theories based on little

but hey, the fact i still post here say a lot about me. or maybe that i need to find something else better to do

Yet... They had a big reveal for the VA of Yamato in a grandiose way.

Seems more nitpicky to me.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post

Again though, I'm really only looking at the narrative itself when it comes to signs of any character joining as the rest of the stuff is subjective and open to interpretation.
    Narrative trumps all, of course, but it evolves slowly. Meta-narrative hints can be used in the meanwhile to formulate hypothesis. Not all meta-narrative clues are purposely given by the author, but they may reveal intent.

For instance, I’m looking forward for the full 3-part poster because even if Oda is not actively placing hints there, he may be revealing some patterns by placing certain characters together, since he’s subconsciously judging which character fits where. I’m eager to see where Carrot will be.

Meta-narrative hints are not worth much, if we placed a small story point as a 1% change, a meta-hint is like 0.1%, but if there’s a lot of them, maybe there’s something worthy of consideration.

It's easy. OP is a long running anime; thus, using high profile voice actors are hella expensive for something that is on air for many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I don't even know enough about VA's to contribute to the conversation in that regard. I do know with network TV, you can kinda tell when a character is unlikely to become a series regular based on the fame (cost) of the actor cast in the role.
    There's a MAJOR misconception on your part.

Anime voice actors get paid the same rate no matter what series they're on.

There is no big or small or higher rate, there is no seniority, there is no "more popular". Its the same across the board, and that includes films. I remember it being a big deal when Your Name broke all box office records and it was revealed the VAs were still paid the same as they would have been for any other project.

They're not shilling out *extra* to get anyone. Saori Hayami costs exactly as much as any other voice actor.

So it's entirely about the schedule.

(American animation is much the same, but will make exceptions for films and stuff like The Simpsons, but those are exceptions, not the rule, because Simpsons happens to be a multi-billion dollar franchise. Dan Castanella doesn't command his Homer Simpson money when he's voicing direct-to-video Genie) And none of what applies to live action applies to animation.

Actors like getting steady work. Especially with voice acting where it's not THAT big a time commitment, no one is going to have an issue with having steady work for years to come. That's one less gig they have to hunt for. Going from having to do 12 different roles a year just to have steady work, to just having to do 3 or 4 roles a year is an *upgrade*, not a *downgrade.* (And that applies to any freelancer gig. Long term steady work is almost always preferred to short term gig hopping and needing your agent to constantly find new work..)

When Yao went from being an occasional extra like Django or Bon Kurei, to full time regular as Franky, do you think he suddenly started getting paid more per episode? Of course not! But he DID start getting paid for being in *every* episode, and that *consistency* was a pay upgrade.

If anything, being a high profile series like OP long term is a *good* thing for your career, because that means soundtracks and stage shows and such for years to come, along with your name and voice being displayed *every week*. . And... steady work for a decade.

For instance, Megumi Hayashibara has been on Pokemon and Detective Conan for decades now. And she was one of, if not THE hottest VA around at the time she started doing those. No issues there. They were still able to fit her into the new Evangelion movie and Shaman King, her steady work doesn't eat her time up *that* badly.
    Last edited by Robby; August 30th, 2021 at 11:58 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Ok this definitely not my topic of expertise, so in my mind it kinda sounds just like "Toei would go bankrupt if Yamato stays"

Which sounds kinda silly, BUT if this is the actual case, shouldn't we also consider that One Piece is going straight into its final Saga, and this Seiyuu wouldn't be signing up for thaaat long of a period?

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOGRE View Post

you tell me
    Depends on which color spread and when.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

yeah, you're not an expert at all

so that is silly
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by legumes View Post

Scraping at the bottom of the barrel until there's nothing but nubs.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Ok this definitely not my topic of expertise, so in my mind it kinda sounds just like "Toei would go bankrupt if Yamato stays"
    Seiyuu are all paid the exact same. There is no pay gap based on popularity or seniority.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Closed Thread

Thread Information