View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 437 of 506 FirstFirst ... 337 387 427 435 436 437 438 439 447 487 ... LastLast
Results 8,721 to 8,740 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I do count as a small hint that Luffy always seem unimpressed, even sometimes annoyed, while he's around Yamato. Plus Luffy calls him "Yamao". Not even the mention of Ace seems to bring Luffy's interest up. Luffy should be at least eager to hear about Ace, but instead he feels annoyed that this girl/guy is following him around. It's almost like there is a missing scene between chapters 984 and 985.
    Let's not forget that Yamato introduced himself to Luffy by pulling him away just as the entire team was starting their raid on the stronghold of the big bad of the entire saga, and also while Momonosuke had yet to be rescued. Luffy has had a LOT going on from the moment they set out for Onigashima, so spending time getting to know Yamato and exploring their mutual connections to Ace has simply not been an option. That's something for after the battle's over, not while Momo's actively being strung up for public execution.

What mattered from Luffy's end was getting a feel on whether Yamato could be trusted and then getting back into the fight. The more in-depth "So, how do you know Ace?" and "You want to join our crew?" discussions between Yams and Luffy were always going to have to wait until later.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    Shrodinger's joining the Strawhat crew official procedure. It both exists and doesn't exist untill someone does a translated panel montage.
    Its funny cuz we really did already do this with how each strawhat joined.

The added bullshit interpreting of Luffy feels annoyed around Yamato is a new twist though.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Oh, come on, you don'ty have a pattern with ONE example. And this example is far from random, The way Usopp was invited was quite unique, it was the first Non-standard "join our crew" of the series.
    You're the one trying to force a pattern, I'm proving there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    You're the one trying to force a pattern, I'm proving there isn't one.
    You can't prove shit if you are not willing to analyze all the evidence. You are trying to fit the evidence to your theory, rather than fit your theory to the evidence.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

You don't really need to analyze anything when the characters tell you exactly what is up tho

So is this insistence on ignoring the text, while inventing nonexistant subtext, a "I don't like Yamato" thing?

Or a "I've spent years fighting for Carrot/Hancock and can't give it up" thing?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You can't prove shit if you are not willing to analyze all the evidence. You are trying to fit the evidence to your theory, rather than fit your theory to the evidence.
    People have joined without the word "join" being used, that's a fact, not a theory, not an opinion, its just cannonical stuff in the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I feel a lot of great points have been raised about Carrot lately, and I still agree that Yamato isn't a foregone conclusion. Unfortunately, the fact remains that Carrot is still absent, and there's not much left to say to anyone who's convinced her return won't be worthwhile. I'd like to propose that those of us who are still in Carrot's camp agree to let the matter rest for now, until she gets back into the story. I ask that you take that time to recharge and get ready, because I still feel a storm is coming, her moment will come, and I want to face it head-on with you all.

BobLoblaw, Vongola, Cockycent, what say you?
    Been way ahead of you on that front (sad you didn't include me).

For one thing, and I don't think this needs to reemphasized enough, the raid isn't over yet and I doubt many people's "predictions" regarding the events that would happen have come to pass. Events are still unfolding now and I've mentioned before the fallout of this arc is kinda big. A closed off country opening its borders for the first time in centuries, CP-Aegis0 is monitoring the situation, the intermission of the arc is still relatively unknown in regards to the outside world, and Blackbeard is starting to make his move. I can say with complete confidence I have no idea what's going to happen, so I am just waiting to see what unfolds.

Besides, it's better than constantly repeating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    People have joined without the word "join" being used, that's a fact, not a theory, not an opinion, its just cannonical stuff in the manga.
    It's amazing how you twist and change goals to reach nowhere.

My point was that I felt Yamato's words were kinda weak compared other clearer and more assertive words. "Join the crew" was just an example of such.
    I never said the same terms were used in every joining. I wasn't even trying to point any pattern, I was stating a personal opinion, and not even to you, when you barged in with your non-sense dismissal that "join my crew" was not used by anyone else.
    You sparked my interest enough to try to find which words were used for each crewmate, so I hoped you would delve deeper into it and compare multiple crewmates to actually reach a conclusion.
    Which you failed miserably to do, by going directly to the one example that fit your bias and utterly ignoring everything else that may prove the contrary.
    I don't know why I even entertain your thoughts, you are never able to back it up, you just conjure the first panel that suits your needs and stops there.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Been way ahead of you on that front (sad you didn't include me).
    I'm sorry, just grabbed folks from the last few pages to get the ball rolling. I always enjoy reading your takes on it, totally looking forward to getting back into it alongside you.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    It's honestly like back with Paulie/Franky with people denying shit post flashback.
    And some of the arguments are honestly Agog level awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I am surprised to be honest that so many people are still wasting time on Carrot.
    Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Oda had so many chances to brought the spotlight to Carrot and he ignored them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Or a "I've spent years fighting for Carrot/Hancock and can't give it up" thing?
    And since we've agreed to put a pause on Carrot campaigning until she returns, I hope there can also be a pause on the Carrot criticizing until then, too. Let's call it a temporary ceasefire, okay?

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Can we non-Carrot-people maybe also make a deal?
    How about, nobody talks about her ever again, unless she reaches Laugh Tale? Even when the Carrot-people start talking about her again, we just ignore it...

Sounds fair to me...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

To maybe start a new discussion for a bit, are there any characters in this arc - that are not Yamato, Carrot or Tama - you wish would travel with Luffy? Doesn't matter how realistic the chance is or whether they'd join the crew or be there as guests.

Because honestly... I'm gonna miss Kin'emon. He really grew on me this arc and it would've been fun to see his reactions to the wonders (and horrors) of the world. That said I'm NOT gonna miss having a third swordsman / pervert. Another character I'd like to see travel with them is X Drake, I like the guy and having to buddy with a "marine" would be neat.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    To maybe start a new discussion for a bit, are there any characters in this arc - that are not Yamato, Carrot or Tama - you wish would travel with Luffy?
    Vivi is part of the arc, if only indirectly, so I'm going with her.

I would accept any kind of stupid twist to make it work, like her eating a Devil Fruit and stuff. It's tragic that it took me so long to understand how great her character really was, but I'm blaming the anime for it.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

I wouldn't mind Law sticking around and his crew.

You sparked my interest enough to try to find which words were used for each crewmate, so I hoped you would delve deeper into it and compare multiple crewmates to actually reach a conclusion.
    Which you failed miserably to do, by going directly to the one example that fit your bias and utterly ignoring everything else that may prove the contrary.
    How can he fail at something he never intended to do though? As you just said it was your hopes he would do that while he intended to do one thing and did it.

Why would anyone bother arguing what you feel are weak words when you're not clear on the words (all the words in other examples as well) translated anyway?
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

To maybe start a new discussion for a bit, are there any characters in this arc - that are not Yamato, Carrot or Tama - you wish would travel with Luffy? Doesn't matter how realistic the chance is or whether they'd join the crew or be there as guests.

Because honestly... I'm gonna miss Kin'emon. He really grew on me this arc and it would've been fun to see his reactions to the wonders (and horrors) of the world. That said I'm NOT gonna miss having a third swordsman / pervert. Another character I'd like to see travel with them is X Drake, I like the guy and having to buddy with a "marine" would be neat.
    Kin'emon and the goat doctor would be excellent replacements for the samurai and furry doctor of the crew. The ones we have sadly expired during the timeskip.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm sorry, just grabbed folks from the last few pages to get the ball rolling. I always enjoy reading your takes on it, totally looking forward to getting back into it alongside you.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

And since we've agreed to put a pause on Carrot campaigning until she returns, I hope there can also be a pause on the Carrot criticizing until then, too. Let's call it a temporary ceasefire, okay?
    And maybe stop 'People who think Carrot will join' bashing for the time being?

I see so many posts trying to dissect and analyze exactly what's 'wrong' with the people who think Carrot is going to join.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Caribou as Caesar replacement.

Vivi, raizo, kinemon, and law are characters I really like.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Not a lot of characters that I like from this saga. The ones I do like make no sense for the crew. Oda hasn't put enough energy into too many personalities from this saga anyway.

- Zou - Raizo
    - WCI arc - Madara, Streusen, Pero, Kata
    - Still don't know if Reverie is an arc or not - Mjosgard and he's from the same arc as Pekoms. Off topic, but I can see Oda bringing Jalmack back.
    - Wano - Queen, Lord Orochi, and Denjiro

Oda hasn't put enough effort into the current possible characters for me to be engaged with them on that level. The closest of the 3 would be Tama because her character just pops more. Yamato and Carrot come off like more extreme versions of Luffy. Tama was put in more situations catered to her personality. Various characters successfully bouncing off her and she demands the scene even with Zoro and Luffy in tow.

I wish Oda did this for King and some of the Flying 6. The closest was Who's Who and he was just a racist obsessed with a fairy tale. Both him and Tama still don't cut it, but they are worth mentioning.

Absolutely no one. Toned down just-the-strawhats for an arc or two so we can get that sweet bonding time before the finale, and so remaining arcs can take less than two years apiece..

Not gonna happen but.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Closed Thread

Thread Information