View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

    189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

    1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

    1 0.27%
  • Momo

    9 2.45%
  • Tama

    9 2.45%
  • Carrot

    68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

    7 1.90%
  • Caribou

    6 1.63%
  • Other

    28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

    50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 427 of 506 FirstFirst ... 327 377 417 425 426 427 428 429 437 477 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,540 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

  1. #8521

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I still think none of these characters are interesting enough to be the final member, after Chopper, Franky, Brook and Jinbei I was expecting something truly crazy for a final member

  2. #8522
    Sweet Christmas Blowfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Castle Black

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    What's this about? Or in reference to? I think I may have missed it as far as next crew mate news outside of the story.
    I couldn't provide you with a source , I just remember it was before or around the time of Dressrosa, so naturally when the Grand Fleet thing happened, we all assumed it was that naturally and it could still be, but now that we might have Jinbe and Yamato joining under the same toast or banquet, this all makes more sense.
    Last edited by Blowfish; August 14th, 2021 at 10:06 PM.

    "The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

  3. #8523

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Wow, we're really going with *panel size* now?

    Not narrative weight or dialogue or number of panels or potential ship position or powers or design or color or covers but... *panel size*?

    That's pretty much the worst and most desperate argument I've ever seen.

    And this is the NAKAMA thread. That's an incredibly low bar.

    Going by that metric Blackbeard is joining the crew.



    biggest single panel, word balloon, and DON in the entire series.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  4. #8524

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    I couldn't provide you with a source , I just remember it was before or around the time of Dressrosa, so naturally when the Grand Fleet thing happened, we all assumed it was that naturally and it could still be, but now that we might have Jinbe and Yamato joining under the same toast or banquet, this all makes more sense.
    "I think I can keep drawing in next decade and we will get new nakama successively." China Times (2014)

  5. #8525

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    If only AGOG was here to discuss Perona's panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  6. #8526
    Sweet Christmas Blowfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Castle Black

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I still think none of these characters are interesting enough to be the final member, after Chopper, Franky, Brook and Jinbei I was expecting something truly crazy for a final member
    I'd argue if she joins , Yamato would have one of the most unique introductions amongst the crew. They essentially got the Quasimodo treatment or perhaps the even better comparison would be Sloth Fratelli, who was the monstrous son of a Family of criminals who was teased lurking from the shadow of his family until his full reveal to the character of Chunk whom he befriends, rebels against his family for and becomes a member of the Goonies.

    Sloth is also the most child like despite being the physical strongest and has a great admiration for the character of Superman, to the point of emulating him during key moments of the film. Even wearing Superman's iconic S on his blue shirt. Spoiler he goes home with Chunk and the gang at the end of the film.

    "The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

  7. #8527
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    "I think I can keep drawing in next decade and we will get new nakama successively." China Times (2014)
    Okay, good.

    Don't know how ppl confused that with the grand fleet.

    That sounds like a pretty clear the new nakamas are joining back to back.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    If only AGOG was here to discuss Perona's panels.
    I look back on the Perona era fondly now. Just before the Jimbe arguments we had Perona lasting all the way until after the time skip.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I still think none of these characters are interesting enough to be the final member, after Chopper, Franky, Brook and Jinbei I was expecting something truly crazy for a final member
    Eh, I still think Oda dropped the ball with Jimbe.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  8. #8528
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Still woulda been better from all standpoints if Jinbe had joined as a couch homie.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

  9. #8529

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    ...
    All right, if you say so..

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

  10. #8530

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Okay, good.

    Don't know how ppl confused that with the grand fleet.
    We don't know if the word "nakama" was actually used.

    Jinbro wasn't new either.

    And its been like 8 years, Oda is bad at calculating his own series length, there's no way he could possibly be talking of a 2022 event, like 8 years ago, and he's never ever mentioned anything about it in all this time, heck he's probably forgotten of that interview already, we keep it alive and fresh because we keep discussing it so much.

    Its actually very rare that Oda would ever mention future additions to the crew, how many and where could we expect them to show up. As a matter of a fact, beides that whole mess of a confusion ya'll made out of that interview, we don't have any examples of Oda openly speaking of future crewmates.

  11. #8531

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Okay, good.

    Don't know how ppl confused that with the grand fleet.

    That sounds like a pretty clear the new nakamas are joining back to back.
    That's because that's a bad translation warped to use for nakama arguments. The fact that its left as raw "nakama" should be proof of that, given that it was an interview in China Times. That word isn't going to stay intact going from Japanese to Chinese to English without someone wishing it to be so.

    It was much closer to "the next allies will show up successively." I don't remember the exact phrasing, (If anything can be "exact" after filtering through three languages) but it definitely didn't say "nakama". Once the GF showed up it fit the context perfectly and *everyone* agreed on that. If it had specifically used Nakama no one would have accepted that as the answer... and this is the first time in almost 8 years I'm seeing THAT version of the quote.

    Also on that note... Oda said it EIGHT YEARS ago, and given that the Grand Fleet was not long after, it made perfect sense. Oda's bad about guessing his timeline but he's not THAT bad. He wouldn't throw out a tease like that, that far back.

    Similarly, "A former boss will join" was pretty obviously talking about the Impel Down crew once that happened.
    Last edited by Robby; August 15th, 2021 at 12:30 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #8532
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Wow, we're really going with *panel size* now?

    Not narrative weight or dialogue or number of panels or potential ship position or powers or design or color or covers but... *panel size*?

    That's pretty much the worst and most desperate argument I've ever seen.

    And this is the NAKAMA thread. That's an incredibly low bar.

    Going by that metric Blackbeard is joining the crew.

    https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.9555...000,f8f8f8.jpg

    biggest single panel, word balloon, and DON in the entire series.
    I believe Deicide's point was that important scenes do tend to get more panel real estate. That BB panel works the same way Deicide was trying to illustrate: the character saying something very meaningful and illuminating about the character's motivation. I personally wouldn't say that big panels are always super important or small ones aren't, that the former always trumps the latter, or that Yamato's comments about sailing with Luffy are objectively less impactful than anything else. But there is something to be said about how the author chooses to highlight the importance of ideas through size, placement, parallels to prior chapters and all that.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  13. #8533

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Sure, up to a point. And when it's the big "A man's dream never dies!" "This is MY Era now!" "I'm Here to End This War!" splashes that take up basically an entire page, or a full spread in BB's case, with a giant DON behind them, or when the climax to a fight gets a full page spread for its knockout blow.. those are important key drama notes.

    But what's being argued here is "this normal sized panel in the middle of a page is more important than this other normal sized panel in the middle of the page because it's a quarter of an inch bigger." It's not the same thing, and it also has to do *extreme* cherry picking and ignore other things. Or that sometimes dialogue goes over multiple panels. That an entire *scene* is worth more than just one panel.


    Like this panel was most of a page but it's not being used in these completely arbitrary, cherry picked, comparisons at all.


    But as cool and noteworthy as that one panel is? It was part of a 10 page flashback! That part of took place in chapter 1000. There's more than JUST panel size to account for.

    Panel size can be a punctuation mark, yes, but its not the whole sentence or paragraph.
    Last edited by Robby; August 15th, 2021 at 01:47 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  14. #8534

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    We learned a lot that one time we discussed Wanda's placement in the SH's spread with Jinbro's comeback.

    Pages get cropped during edition, like all the time. If Oda's panel sizes constantly get messed up by editors, that's more of a reason to not go that way.

    Also, stuff to keep in mind;

    •Yamato has stated nothing that contradicts his desire to set sail.
    •Yamato is Oden, fathers DO die for their sons.(Especially when there's immediate danger around)
    •Yamato has shown no interest to stay in what's been his prision for the last 20 years.

  15. #8535

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Yamato had that really cool panel in 1,016 too. Even after spending time with Momo.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

  16. #8536

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I believe Deicide's point was that important scenes do tend to get more panel real estate.
    That's it. I'm not sure if people are purposely twisting my words, it was never about just panel size, but the words get twisted by one reader, then other readers use that reader's twisted arguments as my arguments and everyone runs with that.

    I also never placed any correlation between "panel size" and "nakama", only that panels that are bigger and more detailed are used to convey more impactful meanings.

    Like, if the panorama of a location is shown in a small horizontal panel that occupies 1/3 of a page, then the location will usually be less important than one that receives a huge two-page spread full of details. Both panels serve the same purpose superficially (show a location), but one gets more details, more attention, and usually more interesting words describing it.

    That BB panel works the same way Deicide was trying to illustrate: the character saying something very meaningful and illuminating about the character's motivation. I personally wouldn't say that big panels are always super important or small ones aren't, that the former always trumps the latter, or that Yamato's comments about sailing with Luffy are objectively less impactful than anything else. But there is something to be said about how the author chooses to highlight the importance of ideas through size, placement, parallels to prior chapters and all that.
    I have no idea how people can even equate: "Oh, this character got a big panel, so he will be nakama". That was as far from my point it could be, and yet was written accusing me to do it. I'm not sure if people are here for honest discussion or just to build up strawmen of other arguments so they can easily beat them.

    I mean, they said I was hiding a picture from my analysis, except that I did use that pic earlier.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  17. #8537

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    That's it. I'm not sure if people are purposely twisting my words, it was never about just panel size, but the words get twisted by one reader, then other readers use that reader's twisted arguments as my arguments and everyone runs with that.

    I also never placed any correlation between "panel size" and "nakama", only that panels that are bigger and more detailed are used to convey more impactful meanings.

    Like, if the panorama of a location is shown in a small horizontal panel that occupies 1/3 of a page, then the location will usually be less important than one that receives a huge two-page spread full of details. Both panels serve the same purpose superficially (show a location), but one gets more details, more attention, and usually more interesting words describing it.
    Are you....implying that i twisted your words when you literally just confirmed your big/small panel argument?

    But i'll just break it down into detail one more time. Story emphasis/character focus/lots of details being pinned down are much more important than whatever panel size or details (which i'm not even sure what this means), because the former conveys much clearer intent to your average reader. Sure, you can point to big events having big panels (e.g. Blackbeard's declaration, luffy's words to rayleigh), but this is supposed to support the weight of these events and not the other way around.

    I don't need a big panel to let me know how dangerous Blackbeard is when the story has dedicated a great deal of time showing what he has done.
    I don't need big panels to know that luffy's words are significant because we know he's the protagonist of the story and this is his time to shine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I have no idea how people can even equate: "Oh, this character got a big panel, so he will be nakama". That was as far from my point it could be, and yet was written accusing me to do it. I'm not sure if people are here for honest discussion or just to build up strawmen of other arguments so they can easily beat them.

    I mean, they said I was hiding a picture from my analysis, except that I did use that pic earlier.
    People here didn't use big panels to push for characters, you were the one using the size of panels/attention(?) to argue for a certain narrative. What are you talking about here?

  18. #8538

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I have no idea how people can even equate: "Oh, this character got a big panel, so he will be nakama". That was as far from my point it could be, and yet was written accusing me to do it. I'm not sure if people are here for honest discussion or just to build up strawmen of other arguments so they can easily beat them.
    Excuse me, if I'm not mistaken your claim was, that Yamato won't join because the panels in which she said she'd protect Momo, and die for Momo were bigger than those in which she said she will leave and join Luffy...
    You even undermined the fact that she said multiple times that she'll leave Wano and join Luffy, because the panels in which she said it were small...
    Isn't that right? Or did I read it wrong?

    So basically your argument was: bigger panels = more important
    And that is just plain wrong...

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

  19. #8539

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Excuse me, if I'm not mistaken your claim was, that Yamato won't join because the panels in which she said she'd protect Momo, and die for Momo were bigger than those in which she said she will leave and join Luffy...
    You even undermined the fact that she said multiple times that she'll leave Wano and join Luffy, because the panels in which she said it were small...
    Isn't that right? Or did I read it wrong?

    So basically your argument was: bigger panels = more important
    And that is just plain wrong...
    Actual argument:

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I don’t agree with the “Yamato will stay in Wano” idea. His desire to sail away and have adventures is the truest part of his character. Just look at how much emphasis was put in his declaration to Ace: wide shot, memorable moment, cool pose, big lettering, major panel...

    I feel that desire is immutable.
    The part I think people misinterpret is the need for Yamato to be in Luffy’s crew. That declaration of leaving happens even before Yamato learns of Luffy’s existence. And both times Yamato declares desire to leave with Luffy, the panels are way more timid, without the same visual elements of the previously highlighted moment.

    To me, at this moment, Yamato believes the only way he can achieve his dream is by joining Luffy. However, Yamato’s character arc will lead him to find out that he truly wants to make his own destiny rather than be a follower of someone else’s. When he finally leaves Wano, it’s him, not Luffy who will set the destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    So, going back to this post, now that I'm home and can provide images.



    Here's the panels (within their respective pages) where Yamato declares he wants to go with Luffy:



    Notice how bland they are. Without the words, they don't feel special at all. Blank backgrounds, close ups of Yamato's face with a bland expression, less than one fourth of their pages.

    But here's the moment Yamato declares his dream. This is where we can find the immutable feature of Yamato's character, his true drive, the thing that will fulfill his character arc.


    Now, that's an impactful panel (by comparison with the former ones, at least).

    Half of a page. The destroyed dragon background symbolizing his father's opression. Full body shot. You can tell even without the words that whatever it's being said is important.

    And what's being said?

    "I want to leave too! I want to leave to the sea and go on adventures! I want to live as free as Oden did!"

    That dream is undeniable and won't change. I'm sure Yamato will not stay in Wano.

    Now, leaving as part of Luffy's crew? That's the part that totally optional there.

    And the author is sending a message of what to expect by checking which panels show Yamato's character louder and clearer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Continuing the visual emphasis analysis.

    Before, I compared specific moments: Yamato declaring he wants to have adventures and be as free as Oden, with Yamato declaring his intention to go with Luffy. We saw how small and visually uninteresting the later ones were.

    Now, I tried something different, I decided to seek Yamato's most visual striking moments and see what he's declaring in those. Here's the result:

    Spoiler:
    https://i.imgur.com/i6Q7tLw.png


    "My other name is Yamato, and I would die for you! (Momonosuke)"


    Spoiler:
    https://i.imgur.com/vpc7hVZ.png


    "If I don't fight for this country, I can't call myself Kozuki Oden!"


    Now, wow, what a difference those do!
    Both are multi-panel whole-page chapter-ending moments.
    Both can be said to be Yamato's defining moments.
    Both show Yamato big and glorious, one of them revealing his true power.
    And both are about protecting Wano and Momonosuke.

    Take from that what you will...
    What's funny is that you were one of the first to reply back then, again reducing the whole argument into "look at those panels, they're big..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    After all is said and done, Wano will be free, Momo will be safe and Yamato will be gone...
    Those panels show her resolution for the time being, after all that is done there is nothing holding her there...

    Name one reason why she should stay in Wano after Wano is freed and Momo saved?
    Why would she forsake her wish to leave? Why shouldn't Luffy take her with him after he saw what she did for him and his friends...

    ONE reason, something plausible and not like "look at those panels, they're big..."
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  20. #8540

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    What's funny is that you were one of the first to reply back then, again reducing the whole argument into "look at those panels, they're big..."
    Yeah, and look what I replied to...
    I've never read the two first posts before. In those two, your argument was valid and good, and I even agree with most parts.

    Then you said:

    Now, I tried something different, I decided to seek Yamato's most visual striking moments and see what he's declaring in those. Here's the result:
    So your third post has nothing to do with the two previous ones...

    You made the third post, completely driving your prior posts into the ground and coming to the weirdest conclusion...

    "And both are about protecting Wano and Momonosuke.

    Take from that what you will..."
    That's what I'm discussing with you, nothing else...

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts