View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 426 of 506 FirstFirst ... 326 376 416 424 425 426 427 428 436 476 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,520 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    So the author "has repeatedly emphasized" something in two small panels with no background, but hasn't in other two times that actually got way more impressive displays in panel-size, story flow and art details?

Yeah, let's ignore all the visual elements because they are inconvenient and pick the small panels instead.
    If you're serious, the text and dialogue will always trump panel size.

The two statements aren't at odds with each other if you're following the flow of the story. Besides that, one you can take at face value while the other takes interpreting the meaning of the panel size and dialogue your way to land to your conclusion.

It's not even about picking small panels lol. Nobody is really reading this manga with the guideline that smaller panels are less important than bigger panels.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    If you're serious, the text and dialogue will always trump panel size.

The two statements aren't at odds with each other if you're following the flow of the story. Besides that, one you can take at face value while the other takes interpreting the meaning of the panel size and dialogue your way to land to your conclusion.

It's not even about picking small panels lol. Nobody is really reading this manga with the guideline that smaller panels are less important than bigger panels.
    So, today we learned that visuals have no weight when measuring importance in a visual media like manga.

It's okay to counter-argument my point. There's plenty of arguments that can be made like "Oda is for now putting less emphasis on this because he plans to expand on it in the future", or "well, those panels have greater visual weight because they are showcasing action moments, and that's what Oda is really emphasizing, not Yamato's words".

But denying that importance is conveyed throught visuals is just plain wrong.

And, come on, be honest, if this happened instead, no one would be discussing if Yamato was going to join or not:

Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

ngl I'm not even convinced you know what you're talking about at this point anymore.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    ngl I'm not even convinced you know what you're talking about at this point anymore.
    As always, I present an argument, which you are free to agree or not.

But, instead of a counter-argument, or just polite disagreement, I get replied with some obfuscated bashing.

Which makes it clear who's clueless here.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

That makes no sense at all.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    That makes no sense at all.
    What makes no sense?

What makes no sense?
    Giving panel size any weight.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

So, today we learned that visuals have no weight when measuring importance in a visual media like manga.
    If that's what you've learned today I can see why you're so wrong about this.

Nobody is dismissing visuals. Comics/manga is a visual medium.

You're trying to make this about visuals but your argument is about panel size having more importance than other panel sizes lol.
    Last edited by Zik; August 14th, 2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

That panel reminds me that the tips of Yamato's hair is just like Kaido. I feel like I barely see it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Giving panel size any weight.
    It's weird that people even question that.

Everyone drools over double-page spreads. And then there's those tiny panels that are mostly connective tissue between more important ones. Are you seriously saying they have the same narrative weight? Are you seriously questioning that a visual media doesn't use visuals in storytelling?
    Last edited by Deicide; August 14th, 2021 at 03:43 PM.

Everyone drools over double-page spreads. And then there's those tiny panels that are mostly connective tissue between more important ones. Are you seriously saying they have the same narrative weight? Are you seriously questioning that a visual media doesn't use visuals in storytelling?
    You seem to seriously not understand what's being said.

I really wouldn't be ridiculous enough to rely on the size of a panel determining its importance. I wouldn't start putting double page spreads over one page panels or any other combination.

Its silly.

Nobody is talking about a visual medium using visuals in storytelling. The topic just gets dumber if you're seriously asking that question. You're talking about one panel size having more importance than the other solely based on size.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Definitely.

I really wouldn't be ridiculous enough to rely on the size of a panel determining its importance. I wouldn't start 0utting double page spreads over one page panels or any other combination.

Its silly.
    Silly is to deny a basic principle in storytelling.

It's one thing to question my interpretation of what Oda is really highlighting in those panels. It's another to try to make like a fundamental rule of narrative doesn't exist.

ANd it's not just panel size, as you people are trying to reduce the argument too. It's the entire composition of the frame and what's in it.

This:

Is not the same as this:

And both pale in comparison to this:

I'm saying an artist as Oda would obviously draw things that would look great in bigger panels rather than in small panels. I'm saying the size isn't an indicator for the importance of anything.
    I'm not questioning the visuals... they underline the story... but they don't give specific speech bubbles more weight... if you get a big panel... it's about the fucking panel... it highlights the shown whatever, in this case Yamato...

As you already said, everyone drools over double-page spreads... it's about the pictures not the text...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Silly is to deny a basic principle in storytelling.
    That's not whats being done though.

If anything you pretending like panel size has a ranking system by importance is a basic principle in storytelling is beyond silly. Its ridiculous.

No matter how much you try to make this about storytelling and visuals in a visual medium I'm going to keep sticking to the actual topic and the point you're trying to pretend is a fact.

Nowhere is it said about the visual medium of comics or manga that if a panel is bigger than another panel it is more important to the narrative of the story.

That's just a flat out lie you're trying to pass off as a fact.

That you think that is just your interpretation about the visual medium that is manga/comics.

Double spreads mean a lot but they do not hold more narrative importance to the story being told than a panel smaller than it. Same goes for the rest of the panel sizes.
    Last edited by Zik; August 14th, 2021 at 04:43 PM.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    I'm saying an artist as Oda would obviously draw things that would look great in bigger panels rather than in small panels. I'm saying the size isn't an indicator for the importance of anything.
    I'm not questioning the visuals... they underline the story... but they don't give specific speech bubbles more weight... if you get a big panel... it's about the fucking panel... it highlights the shown whatever, in this case Yamato...
    Every panel has an importance in the story, but some panels are more important to convey meaning and emotional weight than others.
    Some panels are just connective tissue. Others are meant to enhance a particular moment. And there are panels that cap all that build-up with powerful visuals. Like in the example above, why did I keep some panels together with Yamato's declaration? Because those small panels are exist to enhance that single moment, while in the other pages the panels stand almost alone as there's a break in pace just before those moments.

Or are you saying that Cricket seeing the gigantic shadow of Luffy in the horizon has the same importance as the smaller ones showing the faces of the characters involved have the same importance?

As you already said, everyone drools over double-page spreads... it's about the pictures not the text...
    Wrong, they work hand-in-hand, side by side. You don't usually put very important points in unimportant panels. Usually, big conclusions and revelations go with more meaningful panels to hammer the point harder into the reader's head.

THis is true for all forms of visual media. In movies, the music is also used to enhance visuals and dialogue. We are talking about a mute media here, but the principle is the same.

*Yamato constantly states he wants to leave*

Let's see what squares and lines have to say about that!

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post

Screw that, lets scour the miniscule panels for META clues yet again! To hell with *actual* story beats and plot point!

Altho I kinda agree about "guardian Yamato" thing
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post

Yep, didn't know the size of panels trumps over the words and feelings of what's being expressed.

Like I said I think there's more substantial discussion to be had concerning how obvious it is by how crew dynamic has evolved in this arc alone. Zoro has Kings Haki, Sanji is finally being put on the same level as Zoro as a threat if not in strength. Franky is finally being shown to be the heavy hitter he was promised to be when he first joined and when he adapted Vegapunk's tech. Chopper is becoming a man, and strong veterans like Jinbe being around only hasten that development i think because Chopper is so impressionable, Ussop's growth is nice and steady and I still think he has more to contribute, Brook was already shining since Whole Cake and seems to be skating through this ordeal casually.

I've already covered Nami and Robin, but I think we should all acknowledge that the pronounced atmosphere that's being created around the crew's strength and resilience is to make way for strong characters like Jinbe and Yamato joining the fold. I honestly believe this is what Oda meant about the Next crewmates joining concurrently and why the toast was postponed. They'll be welcoming Yamato as well as either another Combatant or Pirate Apprentice , if Zoro doesn't leave Wano proclaiming his Vice Captain or First Mate role.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    I honestly believe this is what Oda meant about the Next crewmates joining concurrently and why the toast was postponed.
    What's this about? Or in reference to? I think I may have missed it as far as next crew mate news outside of the story.
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information