View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 424 of 506 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 422 423 424 425 426 434 474 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,480 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

I'm no fan of Yamato. But I've got to say after the latest chapter, that she's gonna join the crew!

Momonosuke will man the fuck up and transform into Gon to protect his kingdom.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It’s amazing how you completely ignore what I’m replying to and the context of the post you are quoting.
    I didn't ignore it. I just said one has nothing to do with the other.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Nope. Just stating the facts about what Yamato has done. Hard to consider that denial.
    Then why not state all the facts? Seems like selective reasoning if not denial. Why not take the whole instead of cherry picking and presenting things out of context to fit an argument that doesn't accurately reflect the characters motivations and goals?

Yamato potentially sticking around
    Is something unfounded and baseless.

When Yamato protects those characters you mentioned its from Kaido and the Beast Pirates (and by extension Orochi). Something he couldnt even do until freed by Luffy. He's repeatedly stated his intentions but to get to this Yamato stays behind idea you have to leave out things stated in story or hope they'll change someway.

Your argument seems to be that your interpretation is the only way to view what's happening and my argument is that there are other ways to interpret things. "Sail the seas with Luffy" can have multiple scenarios that can all reinforce what he's said.
    You say multiple scenarios but none of them involve Yamato staying behind on Wano to be its guardian.

Now you're talking about other scenarios you haven't brought up.

I was addressing the whole Yamato will stay behind and protect stance.

It could mean joining as a SH and sailing with Luffy. It could mean barging onto the ship and sailing with, but not as a SH, but more like Kinemon. It could also mean sailing as an ally with Luffy with the grand fleet + Law. Most people are only assuming the first scenario where others exist. He will be sailing 100%, but how is not written in stone. Not yet, anyway.
    Well like I said none of these involve Yamato staying on Wano.

I'm not even arguing from a stance that Yamato will join when I'm specifically addressing Yamato will stay on Wano. The two things are separate. I don't have to be arguing Yamato will join to say Yamato will not stay on Wano. Especially when I'm just using what Oda has had the character repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    How convenient we just go introduced to a solution for Tama's issue then
    I like Tama but it seems like a reach to say she'll be aged up. And for what purpose other than being older? Is it going to make her ability stronger? Too many unknowns that dont seem to point to aging her up having good reasons.

We know why Momo wants this though. He's repeated how unsatisfied he is with being useless and everyone else who has protected him fighting and dying for him while he cant help any way. He's specifically asking to be older to be a bigger dragon in hopes of being able to better control.his ability and fly Luffy back up to Onigashima. Oda has pretty nicely laid all of this out for the narrative and character development. Momo making a sacrifice, Momo helping in some way defeat Kaido.

Oda is going to have involve Tama back in the story heavily to make that same progress and thematic storytelling. Otherwise, might as well randomly suggest Bonney show up and age Tama up.
    Last edited by Zik; August 10th, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I'm going to laugh so hard when the only character sailing away with the Straw Hats is Caribou (while the sexy furry ladies wave their goodbye in the distance).
    As a person who wants a logia user to join the crew and finds Caribou’s character very amusing and his swamp swamp devil fruit dope, I’m totally down for this

But the big question does his devil fruit fit the 2.9 devil fruit theory

I'm at the point where that theory doesn't matter to me. Lol

And I'm not really keen on Caribou. Only interesting thing about him is the Big Secret and his fruit... Other than that he's pretty much like Caesar to me.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    As a person who wants a logia user to join the crew and finds Caribou’s character very amusing and his swamp swamp devil fruit dope, I’m totally down for this

But the big question does his devil fruit fit the 2.9 devil fruit theory
    Well, I believe his chances are zero so I don't think the fruit theory is necessary .

But Caribou travelling with the crew is super likely, at least for a little while. Oda invested way too much paneltime in this character with little to no payoff. At least now Luffy owes him a favor, and we still have the elephant in the room concerning his boss / *that person* / Shirahoshi.

Well, I believe his chances are zero so I don't think the fruit theory is necessary .

But Caribou travelling with the crew is super likely, at least for a little while. Oda invested way too much paneltime in this character with little to no payoff. At least now Luffy owes him a favor, and we still have the elephant in the room concerning his boss / *that person* / Shirahoshi.
    Agreed, he’s def not joining

I don’t remember him saying something about a boss, what chapter was that in again? I want to reread it

Agreed, he’s def not joining

I don’t remember him saying something about a boss, what chapter was that in again? I want to reread it

"With a mountain of treasure in one hand and the Princess's secret in the other, I was all set to curry a favor with a certain someone, and now it's all ruined!"

I'm just going to assume Blackbeard. They're both slimy and opportunistic
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    How convenient we just go introduced to a solution for Tama's issue then
    Adult Tama powers up her fruit so that she can brainwash the enemies' inner primate. Scary af.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    I'm just going to assume Blackbeard. They're both slimy and opportunistic
    What about the master of evil Shanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    What about the master of evil Shanks?
    I'm just gonna have to press x for doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Then why not state all the facts? Seems like selective reasoning if not denial. Why not take the whole instead of cherry picking and presenting things out of context to fit an argument that doesn't accurately reflect the characters motivations and goals?
    The topic was on Yamato protecting Momo and I mentioned the other things that Yamato chose to protect. It was supposed to be selective since I was talking about other times that he chose to protect someone or something. I counted four, but there may be others that I missed.

Is something unfounded and baseless.

When Yamato protects those characters you mentioned its from Kaido and the Beast Pirates (and by extension Orochi). Something he couldnt even do until freed by Luffy. He's repeatedly stated his intentions but to get to this Yamato stays behind idea you have to leave out things stated in story or hope they'll change someway.
    Just because you don't think something is possible doesn't make it baseless. Like I said, "sailing with Luffy" can mean multiple things, but since two of my examples don't fit your expected result, you don't even factor in the other scenarios.

You say multiple scenarios but none of them involve Yamato staying behind on Wano to be its guardian.

Now you're talking about other scenarios you haven't brought up.

I was addressing the whole Yamato will stay behind and protect stance.
    The last scenario does. He could stay behind as the guardian or something, give Luffy a vivre card like he did with Ace, and then sail to meet Luffy with the rest of the fleet when needed. Again, not saying it will happen, but that would still technically count as him "sailing with Luffy," just like it would him joining as a SH or sailing as an ally would.

Well like I said none of these involve Yamato staying on Wano.

I'm not even arguing from a stance that Yamato will join when I'm specifically addressing Yamato will stay on Wano. The two things are separate. I don't have to be arguing Yamato will join to say Yamato will not stay on Wano. Especially when I'm just using what Oda has had the character repeat.
    See above. I wasn't specific, but the last scenario would handle the staying and the sailing. I think people are getting hung up on the "sailing" statements and assuming that it can only mean he'll join as a SH and my point is other stuff can happen and his statement would still be true.

"With a mountain of treasure in one hand and the Princess's secret in the other, I was all set to curry a favor with a certain someone, and now it's all ruined!"
    Ah, so I wasn't crazy at all. I swore I had read about Caribou working for someone, but never could find the source.

Wonder if this is setting up a Hachinosu arc.

Super weird that Caribou was imprisioned by an Emperor that expressed interest in the ancient weapons and he still couldn't bargain with Kaidou by giving him information in exchange for release. It seems that Oda originally intended for Kaidou to recieve news of Shirahoshi, and sent Caribou to Kaidou's metal island. But then he cancelled that plotline and had to deal with Caribou being present in Wano. The plot will probably be used with Blackbeard (or, and I loved it, evil Shanks)

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Super weird that Caribou was imprisioned by an Emperor that expressed interest in the ancient weapons and he still couldn't bargain with Kaidou by giving him information in exchange for release. It seems that Oda originally intended for Kaidou to recieve news of Shirahoshi, and sent Caribou to Kaidou's metal island. But then he cancelled that plotline and had to deal with Caribou being present in Wano. The plot will probably be used with Blackbeard (or, and I loved it, evil Shanks)
    He probably never even got a chance to talk to Kaido. He was brought to prison and forced to work. He may have tried to ask the guards he had a proposition to make to the higher-ups, but was never allowed to talk to anyone big, and he couln't just reveal his trump card to any low-level grunt. So, he was essentially stuck.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The topic was on Yamato protecting Momo and I mentioned the other things that Yamato chose to protect. It was supposed to be selective since I was talking about other times that he chose to protect someone or something. I counted four, but there may be others that I missed.
    Yeah I think you completely missed the point of my post that you replied to then.

Just because you don't think something is possible doesn't make it baseless.
    I think its baseless cuz theres nothing in the story to base that speculation on.

Not cuz it's not possible.

If I thought you were saying something that wasn't possible I would call it impossible not baseless.

Like I said, "sailing with Luffy" can mean multiple things, but since two of my examples don't fit your expected result, you don't even factor in the other scenarios.
    You've yet to explain how sailing with Luffy means staying and protecting Wano but maybe I missed it.

The last scenario does. He could stay behind as the guardian or something, give Luffy a vivre card like he did with Ace, and then sail to meet Luffy with the rest of the fleet when needed. Again, not saying it will happen, but that would still technically count as him "sailing with Luffy," just like it would him joining as a SH or sailing as an ally would.
    That is not a scenario of Yamato sailing with Luffy though. Those are two different things.

That is literally Yamato staying behind to be a guardian and at a later point in time going to meet up with Luffy.

But Yamato has expressed several times he plans to beat Kaido (group effort), make sure Wano's borders are open based off Oden's journal, and then leave right after. Everything since introduction has been setting that up. Planting the seed that he should join Luffy upon first meeting him, mentioning Ace, saying he's Oden, letting Luffy and then Momo know he's on their side, and repeatedly telling his father he will not be the shogun of Wano for him but that he plans to leave with Luffy.

This whole guardian business would require an active imminent threat that specifically would require Yamato of all ppl staying behind.
    See above. I wasn't specific, but the last scenario would handle the staying and the sailing. I think people are getting hung up on the "sailing" statements and assuming that it can only mean he'll join as a SH and my point is other stuff can happen and his statement would still be true.
    And again that is not a scenario of Yamato sailing with Luffy.

Its not even an interpretation. Its a completely different version of what was said. If Yamato had said one day I would like to leave Wano and join Luffy then your scenario of Yamato staying to be a guardian, making another vivre card for Luffy, and meeting up with him when they need him would fit.

Also it seems you're specifically ignoring Yamato's desire and goal to explore the world. Oda made the parallel between Yamato and Oden for a reason. To then deliver on the character actually achieving that part of their dream. Not some bastardized version of it. It'd be like Usopp wanting to be a brave warrior of the sea but after Kuro is defeated and Kaya is saved he is still too scared to leave the island when what he wants isn't that or he stays behind to protect Kaya just in case Kuro returns and will meet up with Luffy later.

Yamato's statements couldn't be clearer but they're being treated like Bellamy saying I'll take that vivre card just in case or Gin saying lets meet up in the grand line some time. Its not the same thing. Its not even similar.

As far as the sailing part and joining the crew like I've said before I don't even necessarily have to be arguing from a stance that Yamato will join to respond to this. The version you're coming up with doesn't make the statement still true. Yamato states his intentions to leave with Luffy but his overall dream is to leave Wano and explore the world, go on adventures, do something like Oden actually got to do after wanting to do it so badly after decades stuck on Wano.

That is exactly what Oda is following up on. I don't know since when he's been the guy to stifle or dash a character's dreams based on potential threats or come up with last second obligations to prolong or setback a character's wishes only to do it anyway later. Especially with a character so vocal about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    That's kind of a weird sequence kf events to go through to end up here.

If Oda wanted it to happen, it would've. If he cancelled it I doubt it would've happened after he had Caribou already be there and captured. Definitely could've got him close enough to Queen. With how much he's done and distance he's covered behind the scenes he could've continued to leave Caribou on the back burner.

If it ends up being a subplot involving BB (or evil Shanks) it probably was always intended for that (especially if it was for evil Shanks).
    Last edited by Zik; August 10th, 2021 at 09:08 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah I think you completely missed the point of my post that you replied to then.
    That's en tirely possible, but my point about Yamato consistently protecting people still holds true.

I think its baseless cuz theres nothing in the story to base that speculation on.

Not cuz it's not possible.

If I thought you were saying something that wasn't possible I would call it impossible not baseless.
    That's my point. Just because you can't see something yet doesn't mean it's baseless. It just means you aren't seeing things the same way, which is fine. Also, your statement about Yamato not being able to protect anyone without Luffy's help is technically not accurate. He was free to roam around Onigashima and run wild like he's been doing. His cuffs prevented him from leaving the island, not from protecting anyone.

Anyway, back to the main topic. Are you saying that the only way to interpret "I'm going to sail with Luffy" to be "I'm going to become a SH pirate and sail with Luffy and his crew?"

You've yet to explain how sailing with Luffy means staying and protecting Wano but maybe I missed it.
    I have, but perhaps you didn't understand it. Yamato can stay to protect Wano. He then sets sail to join Luffy and his fleet when he's needed, maybe even on his ship or something. I don't know. I'm not saying that this will happen, but it is another scenario where "sailing with Luffy" could still be a valid statement.

That is not a scenario of Yamato sailing with Luffy though. Those are two different things.

That is literally Yamato staying behind to be a guardian and at a later point in time going to meet up with Luffy.

But Yamato has expressed several times he plans to beat Kaido (group effort), make sure Wano's borders are open based off Oden's journal, and then leave right after. Everything since introduction has been setting that up. Planting the seed that he should join Luffy upon first meeting him, mentioning Ace, saying he's Oden, letting Luffy and then Momo know he's on their side, and repeatedly telling his father he will not be the shogun of Wano for him but that he plans to leave with Luffy.

This whole guardian business would require an active imminent threat that specifically would require Yamato of all ppl staying behind.
    Yes, it's unlikely. My point was that other scenarios can happen and that could still technically qualify as sailing with Luffy. There's still a lot left for us to learn. We haven't gotten a proper flashback for Yamato yet, Momo and Luffy haven't returned, Marco isn't there or Hiyori or whoever the pheasant will be, the citizens of Wano haven't learned about the "Guardian Spirit," etc. There are still plenty of things set up that can alter what we've seen so far. That's my only point. I'm not dug into any one position or unaccepting of anything else.

And again that is not a scenario of Yamato sailing with Luffy.

Its not even an interpretation. Its a completely different version of what was said. If Yamato had said one day I would like to leave Wano and join Luffy then your scenario of Yamato staying to be a guardian, making another vivre card for Luffy, and meeting up with him when they need him would fit.

Also it seems you're specifically ignoring Yamato's desire and goal to explore the world. Oda made the parallel between Yamato and Oden for a reason. To then deliver on the character actually achieving that part of their dream. Not some bastardized version of it. It'd be like Usopp wanting to be a brave warrior of the sea but after Kuro is defeated and Kaya is saved he is still too scared to leave the island when what he wants isn't that or he stays behind to protect Kaya just in case Kuro returns and will meet up with Luffy later.

Yamato's statements couldn't be clearer but they're being treated like Bellamy saying I'll take that vivre card just in case or Gin saying lets meet up in the grand line some time. Its not the same thing. Its not even similar.

As far as the sailing part and joining the crew like I've said before I don't even necessarily have to be arguing from a stance that Yamato will join to respond to this. The version you're coming up with doesn't make the statement still true. Yamato states his intentions to leave with Luffy but his overall dream is to leave Wano and explore the world, go on adventures, do something like Oden actually got to do after wanting to do it so badly after decades stuck on Wano.

That is exactly what Oda is following up on. I don't know since when he's been the guy to stifle or dash a character's dreams based on potential threats or come up with last second obligations to prolong or setback a character's wishes only to do it anyway later. Especially with a character so vocal about it.
    It's down to interpretation. Do you think the Grand Fleet will set sail with Luffy? Has Kinemon ever set sail with Luffy? You're correct that my scenario doesn't account for what he said about leaving immediately after taking down Kaido, but like I said, just look at what else has been set up (mentioned above) along with other oddities like the lack of traditional interactions with any allies, his location specific DF, no obvious "role" on the crew, and things like that. Basically, I'm not going to say that something is absolutely going to happen or that there's no other way to interpret things. I'm keeping my mind open and just entertaining a lot of possibilities.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; August 10th, 2021 at 10:13 PM.

That's en tirely possible, but my point about Yamato consistently protecting people still holds true.
    LOL Yeah that's exactly what I wasn't talking about.

That's my point. Just because you can't see something yet doesn't mean it's baseless. It just means you aren't seeing things the same way, which is fine.
    Again, if I was talking about not seeing something I would say the words I do not see.

What you're talking about has no basis in the story thats why I call it baseless. It isn't based on anything we currently know or was shown or read in the story.

I don't know why you keep pretending as if it were and trying to use other words to gaslight me about it.

If what you said wasn't baseless you could simply say this part of the story is what this is based off. Instead you're taking the extra step to speculate on things we don't know about. Its fine but there is a difference.

Also, your statement about Yamato not being able to protect anyone without Luffy's help is technically not accurate. He was free to roam around Onigashima and run wild like he's been doing. His cuffs prevented him from leaving the island, not from protecting anyone.
    This is what I mean about baseless statements. We're not discussing could Yamato protect someone with cuffs on but you're trying to make it seem like Yamato did protect someone while he had cuffs on and as far as we currently know he did not.

Its a topic not worth having imo.

Anyway, back to the main topic. Are you saying that the only way to interpret "I'm going to sail with Luffy" to be "I'm going to become a SH pirate and sail with Luffy and his crew?"
    No.

I'm saying multiple scenarios of Yamato claiming he will sail with Luffy after Kaido is defeated would have to involve Yamato sailing with Luffy after Kaido is defeated.

I have, but perhaps you didn't understand it. Yamato can stay to protect Wano. He then sets sail to join Luffy and his fleet when he's needed, maybe even on his ship or something. I don't know. I'm not saying that this will happen, but it is another scenario where "sailing with Luffy" could still be a valid statement.
    Like I said before that isn't the same thing. That's a one day I will sail with Luffy scenario.

The context of Yamato's situation seems to be greatly ignored.

It's down to interpretation. Do you think the Grand Fleet will set sail with Luffy?
    No not really/probably not but we may have different definitions of what set sail with Luffy means.
    Has Kinemon ever set sail with Luffy?
    Yes. So has Momo and Law.
    Last.fm

I’m surprised more people haven’t been clamoring for Momo to join after the end of the last chapter, I mean the main reason people thought he couldn’t or wouldn’t join was because he was a child, which the last chapter kind of fixes, I mean he’ll still have the mind and soul of a child but.....

To be fair I still don’t think he’ll join at all I’m just pointing out that I thought there would be more people on board after this

I’m surprised more people haven’t been clamoring for Momo to join after the end of the last chapter, I mean the main reason people thought he couldn’t or wouldn’t join was because he was a child, which the last chapter kind of fixes, I mean he’ll still have the mind and soul of a child but.....

To be fair I still don’t think he’ll join at all I’m just pointing out that I thought there would be more people on board after this
    I think the main reason was because he is carrying the burden of Wa No, is the rightful Shogun and has expressed wanting to become Shogun.
    And some people claimed he can´t be a Shogun since he is a child, i don´t think it was the other way around. We literally have Momo around for nearly 400 chapters now through a lot of stuff.

Closed Thread

Thread Information