View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 421 of 506 FirstFirst ... 321 371 411 419 420 421 422 423 431 471 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,420 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    This has always been my take.

But I get why Oda or his team or Jump wouldn't clarify for obvious reasons.
    I agree that it's not a maximum. If anything, it suggests Oda had ten in mind when he started, but left it purposely vague in case he thought of more (like Vivi). Also because Luffy would have no way of knowing the exact number he would recruit and isn't the type of person who would reject someone because he reached a pre-determined roster size.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Some thoughts of mine around the roadmap ahead:

----- The Throne War -----

I think people get "the final war" wrong. There won't be a "final war" arc. The final war, called the "Throne Wars" by Doflamingo, has already began, and its many battles will be present both in the forefront and in the background of the next arcs. All major powers are in conflict, and many big players will fall one after the other.

The first salvo happened with the Revolutionaries declaring war against the Celestial Dragons in the Reverie.
    The first four battles started just before Wano Act 3, when the Marines went after the Warlords.
    The first defining battle is happening right now, in Onigashima.

Let's call our current state "phase 1" of the final war. It will end with the conclusion of all of the above.

We will learn what the Revolutionaries accomplished in Mary Geoise and what happened to Sabo (just a reminder that the Revolutionaries attacked in the 4th day of Reverie, and Sabo's event happened after the Reverie ended, thus even the Revo commanders away from Mary Geoise were surprised by it);
    We will find out which Warlords escaped and which ones were captured (my bet: Mihawk cut a path through the marines, Buggy slipped away in the chaos, Weevil was almost captured but Blackbeard arrived to recruit Bakkin, Hancock got captured);
    Kaido and Big Mom will fall, leaving a huge power vacuum in the world.

Conflicts like those will be happening all the time from now on, in every arc. The Straw Hats shaking things up will be the main events, but there will be several battles in the background.

In "Phase 2", I'm expecting Shanks to fall to Blackbeard, while the Straw Hats are busy entangling themselves with the World Government, the Revolutionaries, and, eventually, Vegapunk and the SSG.

Then comes "Phase 3", in which the last few key powers duke it out for dominance.

----- Wano and the Arcs Ahead -----

I think a lot of people is also mistaken in considering Wano a single, huge arc. I don't think we will ever get an arc as long as it, actually. It's better to consider Wano several mini-arcs set in the same overall location. Acts 1 and 2 can be seen as a story by themselves, with a big prelude (Reverie), a small interlude (Act 1/2 Intermission) and a big Epilogue (Act 2/3 Intermission). I feel Acts 3 and 4 will also be linked closer than the rest of Wano, covering the Onigashima and then the Flower Capital battles, against Kaido and Big Mom (with the later assuming a bigger role in Act 4). We get a minor interlude between Acts 3 and 4, and a bigger one before Act 5, which will in itself be a huge epilogue for Wano and prologue for the next arc.

I feel future arcs will have sizes like the Wano acts. Small connecting arcs with 10-15 chapters, Medium ones with 30-50 chapters, Long ones with 60-80 chapters. Maybe Elbaf is near 100 chapters, but I don't see any other arc being as big as Dressrosa or the totality of Wano.

The arcs that I'm expecting to happen are:

- War "Phase 2"
    1- Mary Geoise (Medium length), about Hancock, Vivi, Sabo, slaves, Sun God Nika, and CP-0, but also featuring Bonney and the Revolutionaries which will lead to next arc.
    2- Vegapunk (Medium or Long length), which continues the Revolutionary/Kuma/Bonney plot, plus Vegapunk (duh) and the SSG.

- War "Phase 3"
    3- Elbaf (Long length)
    4- The path to Laugh Tale (Short to Medium length, depending on how many events happen the way)
    5- The Endgame (Long length), which finishes the major conflicts and presents the big revelations.
    6- Epilogue (Short length), which is just tying up all the loose ends

So, something between 200 and 355 chapters ahead, averaging around 270 chapters. I'm actually expecting something closer to the lower limit, but it depends on how Oda squeezes or lengthens things on the way.

Beyond those arcs, I expect quick visits to minor locations either within or between them, as part of their plots rather than separate stories. I'm counting among those Raijin (either before or after Mary Geoise), due to it being hyped before the timeskip and Roger visiting it despite knowing the locations of all Road Poneglyphs already, and Lodestar .

Just my two cents on what roadmap may be.
    Last edited by Deicide; August 4th, 2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Not all current OP readers will follow the sequels/spin offs after OP ends you know. Just look at Boruto, most Naruto fans left the franchise after Naruto ended.
    Well that cuz Boruto sucked. So bad that Kishi was semi-forced to comeback and take the reins (the other reasons being his other manga attempts weren't that good).

Not to mention OP is very difficult at garnering new readers because its sheer chapter numbers. Dragon Ball is different because how simple its premise/characters are. Basically you only need to know the Saiyans, Goku and Vegeta, and you're set.

So I think the main series crewmembers are the one that will left the biggest impression in readers.
    I'm pretty sure the main successful spinoffs will involve the main crewmembers.

While there might be one I doubt the main One Piece spinoff will be some story about Luffy's and Zoro's kids forming a crew or something for the next generation of piracy.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Volume sales are still high, but consistently going down, if an overhyped arc like Wano couldn't raise sales, none other will do.

Streetching the series needlessly way more than it has to, is a bad idea.
    Not sure its sales that drives Oda's creativity.

Oda has never purposely stretched the series for the sake of sales.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I mean, I would be very happy to be proven wrong about that. And I'm not closed off to the possibility it goes longer. I feel like 1500 is longer than most people on this site estimate. Or at least I'm on the longer end of the spectrum. I would love for Elbaf to be another mega arc like Wano and almost certainly the final war in which all the characters from the series return in an epic finale is going to be bigger than anything to date. At that point, I really can't imagine Oda showing any restraint.
    I think Elbaf might be more of a short arc compared to Wano and Dressrosa. More like a simple fun arc with nothing super serious. I do agree the final arc is gonna be super massive huge where it can be like multiple story arcs.

As for Dragon Ball, the first continuation was Dragon Ball GT. Dragon Ball Super (almost certainly) erases GT from canon, but is similarly a continuation of Dragon Ball following the end of the manga. The big difference is Toriyama had very little input on GT, but is guiding the story for Super.
    Ooo, I see! Isn't there a manga for Dragon Ball Super too? (I'm also one of the few that enjoyed GT.)

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    The Moon and Sun symbolism was a common argument for many Carrot supporters, not to say if you look closer, Carrot and Jinbei are also prime opposites in terms of character and personality. There was this fanart that showed Carrot representing the moon and Jinbei representing the sun.
    I guess Carrot represents the moon because she is a rabbit and rabbits are sorta connected with the Moon in Japan? I do know she also has Sulong, but just thinking of a much bigger meaning since all the Minks have it.

And here is another nice thing. If this is true, the last person to join would be someone from Elbaf I presume and that person would represent the Sun, seeing as Elbaf giants worship it as a god. That would complete the Sun and Moon Symbolism with each having two people on the Straw Hats:

The Moon = Carrot and Yamato
    The Sun = Jinbe and ????
    Oooo, this is a vert interesting theory. Though since we had the Sunny Go which represents the Sun, maybe we get a secondary ship for the Moon? Or is that overreaching?

I think that its pretty possible. You got Wano which is heavily moon-themed and its guardian deity is a wolf, and wolves are heavily associated with the moon. That is just a fact. As for ice powers related to the moon, well, I mean there's icy moons in the universe, but for our own Moon, its generally known that said object is both extremely cold and extremely hot. This comes from the scientific fact that one half of the moon is shrouded in darkness, thus explaining the cold aspect, and the other is bathed in the Sun's radiation fully as the moon has no atmosphere to protect from said radiation, thus explaining the hot aspect.
    Yes, I do see what you mean about our moon on Earth. I was thinking ice since it is white and the Moon is white when it is reflected by the Sun. Though maybe other Moon powers can be stuff like reflections.

The Sun and the Moon are often associated with Yin and Yang. In this case, the Moon is fighting against the Sun that is Kaido and equalizing the match.
    I agree with that. I always saw it as such. Sun being the light, Moon being the dark. Etc. Etc.

Now thinking about it further, the moon symbolism is even more apt for Yamato. Why? Well look back at the part where Yamato has been shackled all life under Kaido? That part can represent the dark side of the moon, and the flames Yamato attacked with, can be the bright side of the moon, waking up and freeing itself from Kaido's shackles.
    That does make sense! Though I think Yamato should also have some type of reflection ability since the moonlight is reflected sunlight. Though I guess ice can work with that since stuff can be reflected.

This is why I don't choose between Yamato and Carrot. I choose both. Luffy's statement was that "he at least wanted 10 crew members". That, to me, screams "a minimum requirement", not a "maximum"
    This does give me a whole new meaning. I always felt like it was foreshadowing as the max number. But I guess it can go either way with what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    GT. Super. Heroes. The video games. It's had several continuations of the story with minimal input from Toriyama.

Super is the only one he did major story work in.
    I understand. I didn't think of the video games either. Guess it make sense if they did someone to make the character designs.

What is Dragon Ball Heroes by the way?

Yes, it shows a lot of details hthat weren't in the manga. I haven't read them myself though so I can't really comment on them.
    Yeah, I see. I have it on my Amazon wishlist, as I plan to buy them and all of the One Piece volumes in English... eventually.

Japan.
    Well, good thing I do want to learn Japanese, so I guess I buy the Japanese versions and read them once I know the language.

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    This has always been my take.

But I get why Oda or his team or Jump wouldn't clarify for obvious reasons.
    Solid actually sent me the interview from 2018 where Oda touched that subject again:

My original plan was to assemble a crew of ten within the first year and a half. After 20 years, the story’s about 80% complete, yet there are still only nine crew members.
    Things like the final number of crewmates might have changed since the start of the series but it seems the line in chapter 1 was about exactly ten people after all. And the way he phrased it now implies that ten people is still at least the minimum that he's aiming for, so we're not done yet despite the group shot on Onigashima being how Oda envisioned the whole crew at the start of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Solid actually sent me the interview from 2018 where Oda touched that subject again:

Things like the final number of crewmates might have changed since the start of the series but it seems the line in chapter 1 was about exactly ten people after all. And the way he phrased it now implies that ten people is still at least the minimum that he's aiming for, so we're not done yet despite the group shot on Onigashima being how Oda envisioned the whole crew at the start of the series.
    That quote kinda still makes me mean to more than 10.

The group shot was what he envisioned and in 20 years or so he slow played it to that point even after the time skip not fully completing the crew. There's an argument he should've done that before the time skip (easily could've debuted a new character during Skypeia) but anyway in the 20 years he's had the time to develop and create one new crewmate who I and others think is Yamato.

I think there could be room for 2 more given how much more One Piece there is to come.

But if this is the final member I think it's a really good way to complete the crew.

It does again bring me back to if Oda is going to fill fans in on this or if Jump will or if he'll do it through Luffy in the story.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Also interesting that Tama as well is missing her pheasant reference, she got the dog and the monkey with Komachiyo and Hihimaru but no pheasant.
    Pheasant is Tenguyama Hitetsu. Dude got beak, wings and the whole package.

This is also the same series in which Pell mentioned there being five flying fruits, so however Oda felt when writing Chapter 1, that doesn’t mean he should always feel obligated to just keep it at 10 in the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by Western Ruffy View Post
    Pheasant is Tenguyama Hitetsu. Dude got beak, wings and the whole package.
    You mean Sukiyaki?

You mean Sukiyaki?
    Why not Kurozomi Tenguyama? Since we are throwing theories around he could be the last Kurozomi to redeem the family, not Tama. Kokeshi dolls were presents he exchanged with Orochi

You mean Sukiyaki?
    It can be. Everyone in Wano seem to have a second identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Why not Kurozomi Tenguyama? Since we are throwing theories around he could be the last Kurozomi to redeem the family, not Tama. Kokeshi dolls were presents he exchanged with Orochi
    There's already a lot of evidence of him being Sukiyaki, at this point it would be more surprising if he wasn't Sukiyaki lol.

Sukiyaki had kokeshi dolls too.

No wonder the World Government leaves Wano alone with the amount of two-faced people there are running around. They are aware that people like that aren’t the best company to have lol

I think a future nakama comes from SSG.

not exactly Warlord - Jinbe
    1st red PG - Carrot
    not exactly Yonko crew - Yamato
    SSG - ???

Daily reminder that Marco ate a rare mythical zoan fruit with hax abilities. As an apprentice.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    Daily reminder that Marco ate a rare mythical zoan fruit with hax abilities. As an apprentice.
    And Luffy ate a highly protected Devil Fruit by the World Government that was under custody of a future Emperor's crew just because he was hungry.

Life is strange.

Assuming Momo actually becomes a bigger shadow of his father, a Kaido sized Dragon protecting Wano makes even less likely that Yamato would stay and the WG would attack.

Which is the only great thing about it.

With this chapter, we gave to deal with possibility of Tama being aged up.

But I do agree with Monquito.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

I think it's going to depend on a few things. First, whether or not Momo actually ages. It seems likely, but something could still intervene to prevent it from happening (at least right now). I think there's also a question of whether Momo will actually be stronger if he is aged using Shinobu's Devil Fruit. If aging Momo using Shinobu's power works to make him stronger, it immediately begs the question why she doesn't 'mature' Luffy by a year. Surely, the future Pirate King hasn't hit his peak yet. Of course the answer may be that aging someone only increases their physical strength. In theory, it shouldn't improve their skills / mastery level of advanced techniques. In Luffy's case, he needs to grow stronger by improving his mastery of Conqueror Haki and his Devil Fruit (awakening?). So perhaps that could explain Momo growing stronger.

We do need to consider Tama aging, but I don't think it's very likely even if Momo does age. I think part of the reason I'm hesitant to see Momo turned into an adult, aside from the aforementioned implications / questions / potential plot holes regarding Luffy, is because Momo and Tama met and became friends. It would be strange to age up one of them 20 years. But in Momo's case, he both has a responsibility as Wano's rightful leader and should already be 20 years older. Tama is supposed to be 8 years old and has no such position of authority. Aging her 20 years would just be robbing her childhood, which should be a lot better in a newly liberated land of Wano than it was under the despot shogun Orochi.

Something worth considering - Hiyori looks almost identical to Toki. There's a very good chance adult Momo will closely resemble Kozuki Oden. The visage of Oden may inspire even deeper loyalty from Yamato. It may also prompt her to set aside the Oden costume and fully hand it off to Momo. Lots of possibilities.

Whether or not Momo needs 'protection' has never really been the root of my hesitance to consider Yamato joining a foregone conclusion. While it has factored into the equation, it was always more about the best way to carry on Oden's will, which as far as we know has been about opening Wano's borders for the return of Joy Boy. CP0's interest in Kaido's (and Momo's) Devil Fruit and presence on Onigashima as well as the potential arrival of the Marines could complicate the situation on Wano before the curtains close on the final act. If Momo turns into a much larger dragon, there's no doubt CP0 will be aware Momo has the artificial Devil Fruit created by Vegapunk. I can't predict the future, but I think there's the possibility things aren't left as neatly as they were on Alabasta for example. Not to say another tyrant will take charge, just that keeping the borders open may take some effort and that the potential death of some or all of the scabbards may make Wano vulnerable to predatory external forces. Opening the borders is a double-edged sword in a sense. Time will tell.

Yamato potentially being able to take off the Oden costume could help her chances of joining. I'm still looking to see a specific dream motivating a journey to the end of the Grand Line and an actual relationship with the crew before considering her chances of joining to have increased significantly. Those things may be filled in by a flashback, or may not. The horns being a natural part of Kaido and Yamato's anatomy could indicate there's more to be revealed about who they are, what they are, and where they come from. Or it could just be a visual flair.

As I have been saying, I'm evaluating Yamato and Carrot independently. I think Carrot is going to join. I'm going to be honest if I think Yamato's chances of joining are increasing. My estimation of Yamato has nothing to do with my belief Carrot will join. I don't think there's a limit of 10. This week's chapter could potentially address some (not all) of the reasons I'm hesitant to believe Yamato will join, but it will depend on exactly how this all plays out.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Its gonna be funny if Oda ages up Momo immediately in the next chapter lol.

So much for Yamato stays behind and protects Wano theory. On life support for now.
    Last.fm

Closed Thread

Thread Information