View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

    189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

    1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

    1 0.27%
  • Momo

    9 2.45%
  • Tama

    9 2.45%
  • Carrot

    68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

    7 1.90%
  • Caribou

    6 1.63%
  • Other

    28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

    50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 107 of 506 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

  1. #2121

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    The only way I see Hancock's time as a slave and her subsequent liberation being shown in a flashback is if she actually gets captured and to be very honest, I would hate that development. Mainly since Hancock has always been perceived by the community as one of the weaker Warlords which I simply don't buy. She even boasts about her strength prior to the Marines attack, I want that statement validated considering how little we have actually seen her in action (canon-wise).
    Itīs not so much "perceived to be weak or weaker Warlord" as people know how Oda writes his female characters, and almost 100% of the time, unless they are not deformed one way or the other, their combat prowess is irrelevant unfortunately. The story definitely treats her as strong, we have Sengoku confirming that among others, but whether itīs credible and will ever play a role, doubtful.

  2. #2122

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Not really. Between escaping captivity and saving the slaves, he had returned to FIshman Island, and even warned the king about what he was about to do. His rampage could be shown without any hint of him being a slave.
    Nope, he freed the Marijoa slaves while breaking out himself. It gets confusing because with that flashback Oda jumped around a little in order to get end chapter cliffhangers and drama shots, and had flashbacks within flashbacks, but he did not make two trips.

    Chapter 621 had him return from "A long trip" that ended with him having freed the slaves and beat up the celestial dragons, and change the slave marks to the sun brands.

    Then 622 starts with the framing still of "he beat the celestial dragons" and then transitions to grey panels and grey boxes, where he declares that being a slave is hell and that he's seen how evil humans are... and because of the framing it CAN be interpreted that was before him going on the marijoa raid and that he made two trips... I remember there was a lot of discussion about that at the time... but that's not the case.

    In context the following pages show that he then sailed around the seas beating up humans and destroying ships and freeing slaves for three yearsin an extended campaign. THAT'S what he was declaring to the king about that made Otohime cry, since Tiger's actions made it impossible for her to get he paper signed and try to make peace. People rallied around Tiger and his rage, and not her cries for peace.

    The *legend* is that he scaled the cliffs to free the slaves, but that's mostly just to hide that he was already there, it was assumed. We never see him climb because he didn't actually do it, that was his secret. No one on Fishman Island knew he had been a slave, he revealed that in chapter 623, ON HIS DEATHBED. (Which then flashes back to that same conversation with the king.) He spent years on Marijoa. And begged his crew not to let anyone know he'd been a slave.

    Then in 624 Jinbe tells the king and queen the truth, and it goes back to that same scene again and Otohime goes "Oh, that's why he was in so much pain." Tiger wasn't telling the king "I'm going to go clib the redline and rampage on some nobles", if he had others would have gone with him. He told the king "I'm going to spend my life destroying humans and freeing other slaves."

    That was the reveal, that was the secret, that was why Oda didn't show it at the time. Not because he's saving it for over a decade later, but because it never actually happened the way the people thought.

    Fisher Tiger was a myth, a legend, a bigger hero than he actually was. And he was also on the wrong path. That legend led to Hody Jones and taught the wrong lessons and the following chapters were all about not living for hatred and revenge and TIger's life having been wrong, a lesson Arlong and Hody refused to take.
    Last edited by Robby; September 20th, 2020 at 06:43 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  3. #2123

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Nope, he freed the Marijoa slaves while breaking out himself. It gets confusing because with that flashback Oda jumped around a little in order to get end chapter cliffhangers and drama shots, and had flashbacks within flashbacks, but he did not make two trips.

    Chapter 621 had him return from having freed the slaves and beat up the celestial dragons, and change the slave marks to the sun brands.

    Then 622 starts with the framing still of "he beat the celestial dragons" and then transitions to grey panels and grey boxes, where he declares that being a slave is hell and that he's seen how evil humans are... and because of the framing it CAN be interpreted that was before him going on the marijoa raid and that he made two trips... but that's not the case.

    In context the following pages show that he then sailed around the seas beating up humans and destroying ships and freeing slaves for three yearsin an extended campaign. THAT'S what he was declaring to the king about that made Otohime cry, since Tiger's actions made it impossible for her to get he paper signed and try to make peace. People rallied around Tiger and his rage, and not her cries for peace.

    The *legend* is that he scaled the cliffs to free the slaves, but that's mostly just to hide that he was already there, it was assumed. We never see him climb because he didn't actually do it, that was his secret. No one on Fishman Island knew he had been a slave, he revealed that in chapter 623, ON HIS DEATHBED. (Which then flashes back to that same conversation with the king.) He spent years on Marijoa. And begged his crew not to let anyone know he'd been a slave.

    That was the secret, that was why Oda didn't show it at the time. Because it never actually happened.

    THough in 6624 Jinbe dells the king and queen the truth, and Otohime goes "Oh, that's why he was in so much pain."
    That's not how I see it.

    In chapter 621, you see Tiger returning and being welcomed by Arlong and Jinbe. At that point, everyone is casual and has no idea about freeing slaves. Tiger also mentions to have some business to deal with in the palace. Then the flashback stops to tell their history together in the Fishman District. When the flashback resumes, we are suddenly struck by Tiger already freed the slaves and Arlong and Jinbe are not together anymore, but both declaring they'll protect Tiger.

    Until then, your interpretation can be correct, but then we go to Chapter 622.

    In the opening of it, Fishman Island just heard about Tiger's feat. King Neptune also just learned of it. THEN we get a flashback-within-a-flashback to Tiger and Otohime remembering their conversation with Tiger before that.

    So, either:
    - Tiger returned, asked for help to free the slaves and was denied, then went back to Mary Geoise to do it himself.
    Or
    - Tiger freed the slaves, returned to FIshman Island, but his feat was only known days later.

    To me, his discussion with Neptune, asking for help to free slaves, indicates the first option is the correct one. It doesn't make sense for Tiger to ask Neptune to join the Pirates of the Sun (who weren't even formed). Also, if Tiger had freed the slaves already, wouldn't he had returned to Fishman Island with the other fishmen/mermaid slaves, instead of alone? Not to mention there's zero reason for us to see Neptune reacting to the news if Tiger had already warned him of it days before. Otohime also says that there was no way of stopping Tiger "that day". How could she even think that if Tiger already had done it already?

    But even if your interpretation is correct, it still does not explain why not show Tiger's rampage at least partially. Oda just needed to ommit the beginning of his attack, while showing him crashing through Mary Geoise freeing slaves. Instead, it was completely ommited, and that makes no sense unless it's going to be addressed later, in a deeper, expanded way.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 20th, 2020 at 07:11 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  4. #2124

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    - Tiger freed the slaves, returned to FIshman Island, but his feat was only known days later.
    That's exactly what happened. He returned, everyone went "hey you've been gone for a few years!" and he downplayed it. HE wasn't about to say "Uh yeah, I've been a slave and I just pulled off a massive prison break... please don't look at my tattoo." Exact same reason Hancock never talked about what happened to her.

    But, because what he did was so huge, news spread and caught up to him. So, he had to go talk to the king. And... he did not tell the king the truth, but did say he'd seen personally that being a slave was awful... without mentioning that he'd been a slave himself. He said "I've seen evil and I can't let it stand." And then started a three year campa

    Jinbe told them years later.

    - Tiger returned, asked for help to free the slaves and was denied, then went back to Mary Geoise to do it himself.
    You seem to be taking for granted that Tiger, who was a slave on Marijoa for years, had to escape in the first place.

    What flows more naturally?

    He was a slave who broke out and caused a rucus while he escaped couldn't let any other slaves remain captive, but the legend twisted the truth?
    or
    He was a slave who broke out, in complete secret and without any explanation or elaboration given to how he did it, escaped while leaving all the other slaves there to rot, , then later came back and caused a rucus to escape a second time?

    Everyone ASSUMED "he saw slavery happening, so took it upon himself to climb the red line" and that makes him a bigger deal, a bigger legend, but he never claims that himself, its the detail others make up that he runs with to hide the truth.

    But even if your interpretation is correct, it still does not explain why not show Tiger's rampage at least partially. .
    We saw a panel of it in Hancock's flashback, that along with the description was literally all that was needed. There was a big fire and a fishan went around opening cages and breaking chains. No reason to spend tons of pages on it.

    And again, the surprise reveal on his DEATHBED was that he'd been a slave. We didn't know that or have context for it at at the time.

    We've had a decade for that to settle in and mentally insert it into the backstory, but at the time it was a reveal and a surprise and a twist on something we had "known" for about three years at that point. Showing any of it in detail would have kind of given it away with the handcuffs and prisoner outfit and whatnot..

    It was a scene of Tiger confessing explicitly "I'm not what you think I was, I didn't actually do what you think, I'm just an ordinary guy, please don't tell anyone." Even his closest allies hadn't known and they'd been rampaging with him for *years* at that point. That reveal combined with his death is what broke Arlong.

    That was why that reveal was accompanied by him flashing back to his meeting with the king, and then the very next chapter flashed back to that same scene again for a third time when the king learned the truth from Jinbe. It was a misdirection the first time, then given new context twice in the next three chapters.

    Oda left it out because it was a fake story, and he revealed it was fake story two chapters laters. Not because Oda planned to save it for ten years and do an elaborate flashback later.
    Last edited by Robby; September 20th, 2020 at 07:44 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  5. #2125

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We saw a panel of it in Hancock's flashback, that along with the description was literally all that was needed. No reason to spend tons of pages on it.

    And again, the surprise reveal on his DEATHBED was that he'd been a slave. We didn't know that or have context for it at at the time. We've had a decade for that to settle in and mentally insert it into the backstory, but at the time it was a reveal and a surprise.
    It was Tiger confessing explicitly "I'm not what you think I was, please don't tell anyone." Even his closest allies hadn't known.

    That was why that reveal was accompanied by him flashing back to his meeting with the king, and then the very next chapter flashed back to that same scene again for a third time when the king learned the truth. It was a misdirection the first time, then given proper context just a couple chapters later.
    The flashback containing Tiger's feat will still happen, but it will be from the perspective that matters most: a slave's. You can bet on it.

    Remember this talk in ~2 years.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That's exactly what happened. He returned, everyone went "hey you've been gone for a few years!" and he downplayed it. But, because what he did was so huge, news spread and caught up to him. So, he had to go talk to the king. And... he did not tell the king the truth. But he said "I've seen evil and I can't let it stand.
    No, Tiger returned alone. It makes no sense for Fishman Island to only find it out days later since the freed slaves would be returning with him.

    Plus, it makes no sense for:
    - Tiger to ask Neptune's help to free the slaves if it was already done
    - Neptune to find out about what Tiger did days later if Tiger had already told him bout it.
    - Otohime to say that they couldn't stopped him that day (he visited) if it was already done by then.

    Tiger returned home and asked for the King's help. When he was denied, he went back to free the slaves by himself.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  6. #2126

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I have the volume right in front of me. The mini flashback within a flashback is MEANT to be deceptive when you first see it in 622. You're SUPPOSED to take it as setting up for his famous raid. Because that's the legend, thats what Hancock told us, that's what the people are talking about, that's what we're supposed to think.



    And then two chapters later, the ACTUAL context is given to it on his deathbed. It's a reveal, its a surprise, its a twist on what you knew. That's why it flashes back to that scene again for a second time. So you hit it with new understanding. And again the next chapter when Jinbei tells the king the truth.

    You THINK he's talking about raiding Marijoa because the setup, that's the trick Oda plays. But he's actually talking about how he's going to form the sun pirates and attack ships and... free slaves. Which he and the sun pirates then do over the rest of the chapter. And for years. (Which in turn makes the humans hate them more)

    I know its hard because now we *know* the truth and we mentally incorporate that into the flashback, but go back and try to look at it fresh without that knowledge, and see the order the information was actually given to us.


    Oda pulled the same trick a few years later with Rebecca's three flashbacks, which he told backwards, and with Kyros removed the first time around. But then added the extra context in later to give you a new understanding of what you'd already seen.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  7. #2127

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And then two chapters later, the ACTUAL context is given to it on his deathbed. It's a reveal, its a surprise, its a twist on what you knew. That's why it flashes back to that scene again for a second time. So you hit it with new understanding. And again the next chapter when Jinbei tells the king the truth.
    The later reveal only provides context to Tiger's fury that day, and why he decided to raid Mary Geoise by himself.

    Tiger had only escaped at the point he went to talk to Neptune. The later reveal does not change that.

    Days later, Neptune reacts to Tiger's deed. It makes no sense for him to only learn it later if Tiger had told him already.
    Days later, Otohime says they couldn't stop Tiger that day. The comment only makes sense if Tiger hadn't done his deed already.

    When Tiger reveals he was a slave, it explains his rage, his drive to return and save the others. At no point in the story it's said that he freed the slaves as he himself escaped. The actual events show otherwise, with it happening after he visited Neptune.

    This is completely different from Rebecca's story, in which her very memory (and everyone else's) was changed with the disappearance of Kyros.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 20th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  8. #2128

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I agree with Deicide that Fisher Tiger came back to free the slaves. It is confusing, but that's the way that makes sense once you read this page:

    Spoiler:


    "You want to free the slaves?", says Neptune. There's no way this question makes sense if Fisher Tiger had already released the slaves when he freed himself and escaped Mary Geoise.

    And Fisher Tiger's demeanor and speech in that scene was that of a man who was personally disturbed and who had gone through some sort trauma (later we discovered that Tiger was a slave before).

    Otohime says in the next page that "even I could not stop him that day", meaning that Fisher Tiger climbed the Red Line that day. Meeting the royals at the morning and releasing slaves by the end of the day.

    Obviously, the fact that Fisher Tiger was slave was a plot twist nonetheless when it was revealed. Nobody knew. Not the readers, not the characters.

  9. #2129

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I agree with Deicide that Fisher Tiger came back to free the slaves. It is confusing, but that's the way that makes sense once you read this page:



    "You want to free the slaves?", says Neptune. There's no way this question makes sense if Fisher Tiger had already released the slaves when he freed himself and escaped Mary Geoise.

    And Fisher Tiger's demeanor and speech in that scene was that of a man who was personally disturbed and who had gone through some sort trauma (later we discovered that Tiger was a slave before).

    Otohime says in the next page that "even I could not stop him that day", meaning that Fisher Tiger climbed the Red Line that day. Meeting the royals at the morning and releasing slaves by the end of the day.

    Obviously, the fact that Fisher Tiger was slave was a plot twist nonetheless when it was revealed. Nobody knew. Not the readers, not the characters.
    Yep, thanks for providing an image. I didn't have access to one in english.

    What I feel we will yet see from a future flashback:

    - Hancock had a dream as a child. It has something to do with the Kuja's origins and the void century, and it required her to become a pirate. Her sisters shared the dream and saw her as a model to follow. The only ship in the island is the Kuja Pirate's, so they needed to get strong to be allowed in it (Chapter Zero).
    - Eventually, an 11-year-old Hancock becomes strong enough to be a warrior (anime filler information, but it's so specific that may come from Oda's notes). But she's like Marguerite, a kuja warrior, not a pirate yet. She tries to get on the ship but is denied, so sdhe sneaks onboard. Her sisters sneak in after her. (Speculation: we know Hancock was captured as 12-year-old, too young. Even if she was strong enough to be a pirate at that age, how do you explain 11-year Sonia and only 9-year-old Mary being allowed as well?)
    - The Kuja find the sisters, but the ship is already far and they decide to not return to the Amazon Lily.
    - Hancock, Sonia and Mary are captured by Macro's gang (again, anime filler: we saw three underwater shadows approaching the ship. The manga confirms that the Kuja didn't notice anything strange until the girls were missing, thought. Plus, Tiger's flashback reveals Macro and his gang were already slave traders before joining the Sun Pirates).
    - Auction and so on. Four years of slavery. Hancock's owner may have been Mjosgard before his redemption. Otherwise, it may have been Roswald (Charlos was too young at the time). I think we will see Koala somehow.
    - Because Hancock and her sisters are unruly and strong, they may have been sent to fight in gladiatorial matches against other slaves. We know they got their DFs "for entertainment", so I guess some sort of mortal games.
    - Hancock becomes strong in these matches. Her purpose is to keep her sisters safe. She blames herself for her sisters' capture. They meet Tiger as an enemy.
    - Something makes Hancock respect Tiger, like the later almost finishing her off but refusing to and being severely punished for it. Hancock helps him escape before he's killed. He promises to return.
    - Tiger takes days to return. Hancock and her sisters lose hope. We see Tiger recovering, seeking help from Neptune, then finally climbing the Red Line to make his promise come true.
    - Tiger's rampage on Mary Geoise. Aladdin, Koalla and the Boa sisters escape. "Run and never get caught again" moment, contrasting with Hancock being captured in the present. Boa sisters help Koalla but end up separated from her.
    - Montage of moments with the sisters fleeing constant persecution, eventually reaching Sabaody and meeting Nyon/Rayleigh/Shaki. Returning to Amazon Lily, lying about their past. Previous empress dying from love and pointing Hancock as successor, despite her not wishing the responsibility. Hancock gives up her past dream and becomes colder as she is constantly afraid of being exposed as a fraud.

    That's my theory.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Hancock ends up in the hands of Mjosgard, and he has to convince her that he changed.

    Oh, and that Celestial Dragon mark on her back? It's totally going to be replaced by something, most likely a variation of the Straw Hat jolly roger.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 20th, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  10. #2130

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I really like Hancock's relationship with Luffy. I know Deicide you say that Hancock being a part of the Straw Hats won't change anything, but I really don't think that. Hancock's past is honestly one of the few Luffy has bothered to remember. He doesn't listen to any of his crew members' pasts. He may not remember every detail of her past like Fisher Tiger's name, but he knows of her past as a slave, her connection to the Celestial Dragons, the shame she and her sisters bear on their backs, and I think it makes their relationship far more intimate. Also, Luffy owes her a lot.

  11. #2131

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    I really like Hancock's relationship with Luffy. I know Deicide you say that Hancock being a part of the Straw Hats won't change anything, but I really don't think that. Hancock's past is honestly one of the few Luffy has bothered to remember. He doesn't listen to any of his crew members' pasts. He may not remember every detail of her past like Fisher Tiger's name, but he knows of her past as a slave, her connection to the Celestial Dragons, the shame she and her sisters bear on their backs, and I think it makes their relationship far more intimate. Also, Luffy owes her a lot.
    Luffy's relationship to each crewmate is unique. When I say it won't change anything, I mean in relation to the "no-romance" rule. It will be played for laughs, maybe hinted in subtext, but never outright said or shown, nor explored in a deeper sense.

    In the family dinamic, I see Hancock as the oldest child. A late teenage/young adult, close to Ma Robin, ashamed by Pa Franky's antics, squabbling with bro Sanji and sis Nami, but having special care for (and being overly protective of) the youngest siblings Luffy and Chopper.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  12. #2132

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Luffy's relationship to each crewmate is unique. When I say it won't change anything, I mean in relation to the "no-romance" rule. It will be played for laughs, maybe hinted in subtext, but never outright said or shown, nor explored in a deeper sense.

    In the family dinamic, I see Hancock as the oldest child. A late teenage/young adult, close to Ma Robin, ashamed by Pa Franky's antics, squabbling with bro Sanji and sis Nami, but having special care for (and being overly protective of) the youngest siblings Luffy and Chopper.
    I might be the only one rooting for Hancock to get with Luffy. I mean, she's an extremely accomplished and powerful pirate, has all 3 Haki and is implied to have advanced Armament Haki since Marigold knows it, and is already head over heels for Luffy.

  13. #2133

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Hancock won't be anything more than an ally. Her plot fruit (along with Perona's, Bonney's, etc.) assures that. If you can one-shot an opponent, then you'll never be a SH. An ally, sure.

  14. #2134

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Hancock won't be anything more than an ally. Her plot fruit (along with Perona's, Bonney's, etc.) assures that. If you can one-shot an opponent, then you'll never be a SH. An ally, sure.
    If Bonney had a different type of fruit I would be all over her joining, seeing as how she seems to be tied to literally everything in the story

    she also has completely different personality from the other females and could fill both young sister or Grandma role on the ship

  15. #2135

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Hancock won't be anything more than an ally. Her plot fruit (along with Perona's, Bonney's, etc.) assures that. If you can one-shot an opponent, then you'll never be a SH. An ally, sure.
    Her power essentially clears nameless mooks, can be dodged/evaded and had loopholes since day one...

    At the level of power enemies have nowadays, she’d be resorting to melee attacks and haki. And, really, it would be cool to have a female character on the level of the monster trio kicking people around while looking badass.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 21st, 2020 at 05:23 AM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  16. #2136
    I do, bro! I do! Shadowgreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Peach Creek

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    X-Drake is the last Strawhat!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #2137

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Yep, thanks for providing an image. I didn't have access to one in english.

    What I feel we will yet see from a future flashback:

    - Hancock had a dream as a child. It has something to do with the Kuja's origins and the void century, and it required her to become a pirate. Her sisters shared the dream and saw her as a model to follow. The only ship in the island is the Kuja Pirate's, so they needed to get strong to be allowed in it (Chapter Zero).
    - Eventually, an 11-year-old Hancock becomes strong enough to be a warrior (anime filler information, but it's so specific that may come from Oda's notes). But she's like Marguerite, a kuja warrior, not a pirate yet. She tries to get on the ship but is denied, so sdhe sneaks onboard. Her sisters sneak in after her. (Speculation: we know Hancock was captured as 12-year-old, too young. Even if she was strong enough to be a pirate at that age, how do you explain 11-year Sonia and only 9-year-old Mary being allowed as well?)
    - The Kuja find the sisters, but the ship is already far and they decide to not return to the Amazon Lily.
    - Hancock, Sonia and Mary are captured by Macro's gang (again, anime filler: we saw three underwater shadows approaching the ship. The manga confirms that the Kuja didn't notice anything strange until the girls were missing, thought. Plus, Tiger's flashback reveals Macro and his gang were already slave traders before joining the Sun Pirates).
    - Auction and so on. Four years of slavery. Hancock's owner may have been Mjosgard before his redemption. Otherwise, it may have been Roswald (Charlos was too young at the time). I think we will see Koala somehow.
    - Because Hancock and her sisters are unruly and strong, they may have been sent to fight in gladiatorial matches against other slaves. We know they got their DFs "for entertainment", so I guess some sort of mortal games.
    - Hancock becomes strong in these matches. Her purpose is to keep her sisters safe. She blames herself for her sisters' capture. They meet Tiger as an enemy.
    - Something makes Hancock respect Tiger, like the later almost finishing her off but refusing to and being severely punished for it. Hancock helps him escape before he's killed. He promises to return.
    - Tiger takes days to return. Hancock and her sisters lose hope. We see Tiger recovering, seeking help from Neptune, then finally climbing the Red Line to make his promise come true.
    - Tiger's rampage on Mary Geoise. Aladdin, Koalla and the Boa sisters escape. "Run and never get caught again" moment, contrasting with Hancock being captured in the present. Boa sisters help Koalla but end up separated from her.
    - Montage of moments with the sisters fleeing constant persecution, eventually reaching Sabaody and meeting Nyon/Rayleigh/Shaki. Returning to Amazon Lily, lying about their past. Previous empress dying from love and pointing Hancock as successor, despite her not wishing the responsibility. Hancock gives up her past dream and becomes colder as she is constantly afraid of being exposed as a fraud.

    That's my theory.
    .
    Not being mean or sarcastic, just wanted to say that this is a pretty cool fanfic! I don't think Hancock will join the crew, but reading this made me like her character a lot more!

  18. #2138

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Not being mean or sarcastic, just wanted to say that this is a pretty cool fanfic! I don't think Hancock will join the crew, but reading this made me like her character a lot more!
    Even if I’m wrong about her joining the crew, I‘m fairly sure we will get an arc about her, kinda like Law had Dressrosa. It wasn’t solely about him, but it did cover a lot about his past and motivations.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  19. #2139

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Even if I’m wrong about her joining the crew, I‘m fairly sure we will get an arc about her, kinda like Law had Dressrosa. It wasn’t solely about him, but it did cover a lot about his past and motivations.
    That I do agree. Hancock and Amazon Lily has had this kind of set up for a while.

    I just don't want her to get captured.

  20. #2140

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    That I do agree. Hancock and Amazon Lily has had this kind of set up for a while.

    I just don't want her to get captured.
    I don’t mind her being captured. I will be bothered if she’s just treated as a damsel in distress, thought. I hope her escape, aided or not by others, is epic, and her arc fulfilling, with at least some badass moments.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts