View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

127 45.85%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.89%
  • Tama

7 2.53%
  • Carrot

58 20.94%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.53%
  • Caribou

4 1.44%
  • Other

22 7.94%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 207 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 4137

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

If Oda is going the Momo retainers route with Tama, Carrot, Yamato and Shinobu, that would further show how far ahead of the pack as a writer he is. Ace, Kinemon, Oden and Pedro would have served as idols that the crew and the audience grew to like and now those they've left a great impression on are gonna help change Wano

As of now, I believe the chances of being a Straw Hat to a Momo retainer

Carrot - 85% - SH but the next few chapters can tilt this to 50% if she finally interacts with Momo
    Shinobu - 0% - (never thought of her as a SH), the Kinemon of Momo's retainers
    Tama - 40% - there's a chance she's the silhouette character and what she goes for first will be telling
    Yamato - 50% - if he gives up on finding Shinobu and Momo, maybe it can go to 65%

Luffy basically ordered Yamato to be a goofy member of Momonosuke's court.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    True. There's infinite ways of fiilling a pattern. A character could have a present development as meaningful and emotional as in a flashback.

The thing with Carrot, IMO, is that Pedro's death lacked the depth we usually see in flashbacks. I don't feel that the Pedro/Carrot relationship was as emotionally developed in preparation to the big tragedy.
    Mainly because prior to his death, the audience wasn't even aware of the relationship between them outside being fellow tribesmen and warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    They are the tools by which the message is conveyed as much as Luffy is, specifically this crew. Everything that Piracy represents in its highest form is represented by the crew, good and bad and the will's that they have inherited are vital to understanding the state of the world/where they can take it. That's not even taking into account what they mean for Luffy particularly. Usopp is representative of us, regular old people fighting for and toward something greater. Jinbe is our cipher for racial reconcilliation and carries the will of Fisher Tiger. Chopper is the literal healer of the world's people, along with likely he who will let Luffy live longer than Roger did, and thus allow him to complete the mission Roger couldn't. Robin is the only person who can decipher the true history. Brook and Sanji are vital members of the crew in that a crew without music and good food misses the point of the adventure they're in. Luffy is willing to die without Sanji on the crew and I imagine he would do the same for Brook. Food and music are both reconciliatory tools and key to adventure and community. Zoro is Luffy's sword, not just his reminder of his warrior way. He's literally the Sword of the pirate King and the physical manifestation of Luffy's need for strong allies. Oh, and Franky built the vessel in which these dreams have sailed and is doing what Tom wasn't able to and sailing with his creation.
    This is getting a lot more complicated here.

Each member of the crew contribute with some ideas, but I hardly feel like half of them are essential to make the story work at its core. If we just removed some of them like they never existed, One Piece would still be pretty much the same. And I'd say that the main ones were added at the beginning of the story.

To avoid confusion, I must make something clear here. Any character can be replaced by someone else to do their role. So if Nami didn't exist, there would be someone else doing her physical and metaphysical role in the crew.

What I'm talking about is not about the replaceability of the characters, but about the relevancy of the roles they play. There must always be a Nami to better flesh out the story, regardless of whoever is doing it. On the other, someone like Brook is not very relevant at all. You can remove him completely and not put anybody else in his place and it wouldn't harm the story because his role is mostly ornamental.

You see, when Nami and Zoro and Usopp were added to crew, it had the feeling that the story was finally coming into place and we got a better picture of the series, since their character conflict were closer to the core of the narrative and because they bounced off Luffy really well to flesh him out more. When Brook finally showed up, we didn't really get the feeling that we needed him, or that finally something made sense, or that the story was feeling more complete now. No, he was just a fun addition.

I'm fine with the thought that Smoker is vitally important to our understanding of justice and freedom's place in this world, but I think that he is essentially serving the same purpose that Garp already has served and that Koby is learning to.
    As I said, the vessel can be replaced since the role is what matters. On a fundamental lever, it doesn't need to be Smoker...

But it is Smoker who does that role, just like it's Nami who does the Nami role.

Coby was not introduced with that character conflict and he never shared this type of "black and white" perspective on piracy. Coby plays another role. And Garp only became a character after Enies Lobby (ignoring his background participation in Coby's cover story), not to mention that he's a character of the past and his influence was important for Roger's journey instead of Luffy's.

Smoker is our character for this role. It has always been.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

True. There's infinite ways of fiilling a pattern. A character could have a present development as meaningful and emotional as in a flashback.

The thing with Carrot, IMO, is that Pedro's death lacked the depth we usually see in flashbacks. I don't feel that the Pedro/Carrot relationship was as emotionally developed in preparation to the big tragedy.
    I agree that the preparation of their mentor-pupil relationship was not well done enough in advance, but it did work rather fine after the fact.

Btw, if Carrot joins the crew, there will be probably a new scene to pick up all of these events that lead to her recruitment. The fact that all of the pieces are so spread apart makes it likely. And then, maybe, this culmination may shed more light into her relationship with Pedro and the dukes.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I agree that the preparation of their mentor-pupil relationship was not well done enough in advance, but it did work rather fine after the fact.

Btw, if Carrot joins the crew, there will be probably a new scene to pick up all of these events that lead to her recruitment. The fact that all of the pieces are so spread apart makes it likely. And then, maybe, this culmination may shed more light into her relationship with Pedro and the dukes.
    I'm one that believes that any story can be fixed, and thus Carrot (or anyone else) can get whatever it's lacking to flesh their story and be elevated to main character status.

My problem with it is finding that if that's really what the author's intentions are. Carrot so far is fine for a secondary character, and given that this is One Piece, secondary characters are often really well-built. I don't see the author wanting to go beyond that with her, thought.

The answer, of course, is to wait and see. But, right now, given what was presented to us, Carrot is another Kin'emon or a lesser Law: a long-standing companion that has a purpose within the story and her own arc, but is not meant to permanently be with the main cast.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    This is getting a lot more complicated here.

Each member of the crew contribute with some ideas, but I hardly feel like half of them are essential to make the story work at its core. If we just removed some of them like they never existed, One Piece would still be pretty much the same. And I'd say that the main ones were added at the beginning of the story.

To avoid confusion, I must make something clear here. Any character can be replaced by someone else to do their role. So if Nami didn't exist, there would be someone else doing her physical and metaphysical role in the crew.
    The deepest layer of One Piece is just a boy going to sea to become a great pirate, have a crew, and find a treasure left behind by the greatest pirate to ever live. the story absolutely could have happened without any of the characters if Oda wrote it that way, but they all are vital to where we are now. I really don't agree that Nami and Zoro's as the devil/warrior and angel/logician on Luffy's shoulders are any more vital than anything else. Everything after Luffy deciding to go on his voyage is a specific choice Oda has made about what is vital for this crew. And remember, he originally thought he could complete it in 5 years! Every current crew member was planned from the start to resonate in this story. I would argue that Sanji and Brook particularly are just as important to the story Oda is telling than Nami and Usopp. Again, what use is an adventure without good food and music?

What I'm talking about is not about the replaceability of the characters, but about the relevancy of the roles they play. There must always be a Nami to better flesh out the story, regardless of whoever is doing it. On the other, someone like Brook is not very relevant at all. You can remove him completely and not put anybody else in his place and it wouldn't harm the story because his role is mostly ornamental.
    What does Nami add to the story that Usopp, Sanji, or Chopper couldn't if she was gone outside of her role as navigator?

You see, when Nami and Zoro and Usopp were added to crew, it had the feeling that the story was finally coming into place and we got a better picture of the series, since their character conflict were closer to the core of the narrative and because they bounced off Luffy really well to flesh him out more. When Brook finally showed up, we didn't really get the feeling that we needed him, or that finally something made sense, or that the story was feeling more complete now. No, he was just a fun addition.
    Luffy had been talking about the need for a musician from the very beginning. Literally chapter 7, even before Nami was introduced.These are vital positions to Luffy's personal adventure.

As I said, the vessel can be replaced since the role is what matters. On a fundamental lever, it doesn't need to be Smoker...

But it is Smoker who does that role, just like it's Nami who does the Nami role.

Coby was not introduced with that character conflict and he never shared this type of "black and white" perspective on piracy. Coby plays another role. And Garp only became a character after Enies Lobby (ignoring his background participation in Coby's cover story), not to mention that he's a character of the past and his influence was important for Roger's journey instead of Luffy's.

Smoker is our character for this role. It has always been.
    Koby's role is literally the role you're saying that Smoker is going toward. He's already there. If anything, he makes the idea of Smoker becoming a Straw Hat because of this redundant. Working together with the young buck and the old legend to reform the Marines seems more on point, in my estimation, and all of them are equally as important. Even though there are small differences, they're all telling the same story, the one against Absolute Justice. It's not a coincidence that Garp was both Roger's biggest adversary and is still alive!
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    The deepest layer of One Piece is just a boy going to sea to become a great pirate, have a crew, and find a treasure left behind by the greatest pirate to ever live. the story absolutely could have happened without any of the characters if Oda wrote it that way, but they all are vital to where we are now. I really don't agree that Nami and Zoro's as the devil/warrior and angel/logician on Luffy's shoulders are any more vital than anything else. Everything after Luffy deciding to go on his voyage is a specific choice Oda has made about what is vital for this crew. And remember, he originally thought he could complete it in 5 years! Every current crew member was planned from the start to resonate in this story. I would argue that Sanji and Brook particularly are just as important to the story Oda is telling than Nami and Usopp. Again, what use is an adventure without good food and music?
    What's important to realise is that there's an hierarchy of importance between all those elements in order to make the story function.

I'm not saying that the "lesser" Strawhats don't add anything at all. Of course they do. But that they're way less essential to the raw dynamics and themes of the story.

What does Nami add to the story that Usopp, Sanji, or Chopper couldn't if she was gone outside of her role as navigator?
    As I said, the character can be technically replaced, but at the end of the day there's someone who the author chose to play that role.

What Nami does as an "angel/logician" to Luffy is something that 90% of the time it is Nami who does it, even if other Strawhats were intellectually able to do it. That's because a story is artificial and characters are assigned dynamic roles on a thematic level. And that's one of the main reasons why Nami have so much screentime every single arc since her role is so big. And that's why if there's an important dillema inside the crew, you'll probably see Oda giving more focus to Nami and Zoro than the others.

Luffy had been talking about the need for a musician from the very beginning. Literally chapter 7, even before Nami was introduced.These are vital positions to Luffy's personal adventure.
    Ornamental.

Koby's role is literally the role you're saying that Smoker is going toward. He's already there. If anything, he makes the idea of Smoker becoming a Straw Hat because of this redundant. Working together with the young buck and the old legend to reform the Marines seems more on point, in my estimation, and all of them are equally as important. Even though there are small differences, they're all telling the same story, the one against Absolute Justice. It's not a coincidence that Garp was both Roger's biggest adversary and is still alive!
    Definitely not.

Coby was the first person Luffy met in his journey to make a contrast between their personality in order to show Luffy as a role model to his young readers, because Luffy is Oda's "ideal child". While Luffy had boundless determination to achieve his dreams, Coby was full of insecurities, fears and a restraining mindset. "Impossible, impossible, impossible", Coby used to say.

However, through Luffy's influence Coby decided to seek his dream and give it his all. That's the influence that Oda wants Luffy to have in his young readers too. So when Coby becomes an admiral, it is to say that anyone can achieve big things as long as they pursue it wholeheartedly, even if they weren't born with the same nature as Luffy.

So that's Coby's character conflict and concept. Obviously, since he's in the marines and the marines are about to becomes villains, Coby will also have to face this issue... but that's not central to the character.

Smoker is another beast completely, a character who was built from the beginning as someone who was chasing Luffy because "pirates are pirates", which is the black and white ideology that rules the world... and ever since Alabasta Smoker is learning that justice actually can come from a pirate, something that he is very reluctant to fully admit because that's his character conflict, still unfinished.

I'm one that believes that any story can be fixed, and thus Carrot (or anyone else) can get whatever it's lacking to flesh their story and be elevated to main character status.

My problem with it is finding that if that's really what the author's intentions are. Carrot so far is fine for a secondary character, and given that this is One Piece, secondary characters are often really well-built. I don't see the author wanting to go beyond that with her, thought.

The answer, of course, is to wait and see. But, right now, given what was presented to us, Carrot is another Kin'emon or a lesser Law: a long-standing companion that has a purpose within the story and her own arc, but is not meant to permanently be with the main cast.
    That's totally fine, and you might be right.

The difference between everybody here is that each one of us had a different impression of the weight of her scenes, which is largely based on the different ways that each person reads a story.

I was always hoping the last member would be an oddity in the One Piece world, Like Chopper, Franky and Brook were

well I guess Franky not so much now as before, since now we have an army of Cyborgs

but I would be soooooo happy if we got some strange creature for the last member

...... or at the very least a member of one of the last two races Big Mom mentioned

I mean seriously after a humanoid reindeer with 7 different forms, a cyborg with a cyan pompadour popeye arms three chins and constantly wearing a speedo, a gentlemen skeleton with a giant afro, and a shichibukai whale shark fishman, you would hope that the last crew member really stands out

I would love a fairy to join, IF that's one of the two mysterious races that's left (I mean King does have wings), but that's fresh on my mind because I have been reading Stormlight book series that has similar things to fairies (spren) and I've been playing pokemon and fairy types have always been my favorites

EDIT: Okay now that I'm thinking about it Kings wings look nothing like a fairies.... sorry
    Last edited by Shiebs; September 15th, 2020 at 05:17 PM.

Well..

Spoiler:

I just don't see where people see the "brand new, never seen before narrative" here.. so I recommend'yall a re-read of the Alabasta Arc.

Spoiler:
    that could be Pound's ship escaping from the island instead of Pedro
    PSN: The_BlueOGRE
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/blueogre

Discovered Stowaway Rank: Failed Mutineer Lord Monkey D.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOGRE View Post
    Spoiler:
    that could be Pound's ship escaping from the island instead of Pedro
    We know the spoiler, but from the looks of it that ship is escaping Whole Cake Island while Pound was at Cacao Island when we last saw him.

It could come up but who knows could be CC, could be Kingbaum, who knows

Whether or not Carrot joins, I hope poor Pedro can be left to rest in peace once this arc is over.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Chaka noted he couldn’t cry for Pell’s death, but Wanda cried for Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Moria View Post
    Chaka noted he couldn’t cry for Pell’s death, but Wanda cried for Pedro.
    Chaka=Shishilian

I'm convinced Carrot will not be any longer in the next island. But I do believe she'll be an 'honorary' member like Vivi.

Since it also makes sense that just like Roger, Luffy had two Minks on his crew temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Chaka=Shishilian

I'm convinced Carrot will not be any longer in the next island. But I do believe she'll be an 'honorary' member like Vivi.

Since it also makes sense that just like Roger, Luffy had two Minks on his crew temporarily.
    There is no weight to Carrot being an "honorary" Straw Hat since the stakes of the current arc, or should I say this saga, is not focused on her and her efforts that drive the plot/narrative forward. There is no way you can compare Vivi and Carrot outside of the fact that they are both long-term guests traveling with the Straw Hat Crew. If anything, Momo is the Vivi of this entire saga, not Carrot.

And I'm still very much convinced the end of Wano is just the beginning for her. Consistently separating her from her tribe and pairing/paneling her with the Straw Hats signifies to me how Oda is trying to shift her dynamic.

Well..

I just don't see where people see the "brand new, never seen before narrative" here.. so I recommend'yall a re-read of the Alabasta Arc.
    I remind you again: Caesar Clown was also on Whole Cake Island.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    There is no weight to Carrot being an "honorary" Straw Hat since the stakes of the current arc, or should I say this saga, is not focused on her and her efforts that drive the plot/narrative forward. There is no way you can compare Vivi and Carrot outside of the fact that they are both long-term guests traveling with the Straw Hat Crew. If anything, Momo is the Vivi of this entire saga, not Carrot.

And I'm still very much convinced the end of Wano is just the beginning for her. Consistently separating her from her tribe and pairing/paneling her with the Straw Hats signifies to me how Oda is trying to shift her dynamic.
    When you think about the fact that Vivi wasn't going to be a princess originally, well...

Besides, she can just be left behind without any honorary recognition, I don't mind it.

I remind you again: Caesar Clown was also on Whole Cake Island.
    Yes, the guy who flies, and had a better chance at escaping while the entire BM Pirates where focused on Luffy and Bege, unreasonably waited like 24 hours to escape in a Tarte??

And then there's Pedro, who was likely unconscious during all that time, and has no better means to escape than stealing an enemie's ship.

Sorry, but only one makes perfect sense to me.

When you think about the fact that Vivi wasn't going to be a princess originally, well...

Besides, she can just be left behind without any honorary recognition, I don't mind it.

Yes, the guy who flies, and had a better chance at escaping while the entire BM Pirates where focused on Luffy and Bege, unreasonably waited like 24 hours to escape in a Tarte??

And then there's Pedro, who was likely unconscious during all that time, and has no better means to escape than stealing an enemie's ship.

Sorry, but only one makes perfect sense to me.
    And when you remember the situation Momo is in and how it directly parallels it to Vivi, the comparison falls apart. Sorry, Carrot isn't Vivi.

Also, it doesn't matter if Caesar can fly. He is in Big Mom's secured territory, surrounded by her fleet. Flying is meaningless if he can be spotted and shot down. Capone made that threat obvious.

And when you remember the situation Momo is in and how it directly parallels it to Vivi, the comparison falls apart. Sorry, Carrot isn't Vivi.
    Well if it's just the tragedy we're speaking of, as I originally pointed out, then no.

Momo's tragedy happened in the past.
    Carrot's happened in the present, just like Vivi's. Heck, the Baroque Works took over just recently in Vivi's life, just like the invasion of the Beast Pirates happened very recently in Carrot's life too.
    Also, it doesn't matter if Caesar can fly. He is in Big Mom's secured territory, surrounded by her fleet. Flying is meaningless if he can be spotted and shot down. Capone made that threat obvious.
    Morganz just... uuh.. eeh... wha....

Well if it's just the tragedy we're speaking of, as I originally pointed out, then no.

Momo's tragedy happened in the past.
    Carrot's happened in the present, just like Vivi's. Heck, the Baroque Works took over just recently in Vivi's life, just like the invasion of the Beast Pirates happened very recently in Carrot's life too.

Morganz just... uuh.. eeh... wha....
    That doesn't make her Vivi though. Momonosuke is a person of royalty asking the Straw Hat Crew to help save his kingdom from the reign of pirates. While there are nuanced differences between Momo and Vivi, the outline is generally the same, which is a more apt comparison than Vivi and Carrot.

Also, Morgans escaped with Stussy, a CP-0 agent, so...

That doesn't make her Vivi though. Momonosuke is a person of royalty asking the Straw Hat Crew to help save his kingdom from the reign of pirates. While there are nuanced differences between Momo and Vivi, the outline is generally the same, which is a more apt comparison than Vivi and Carrot.
    Never said that makes her Vivi tho, just both their tragedies are very much alike, and none it's similar to what the active members of the crew all got.

Also, Morgans escaped with Stussy, a CP-0 agent, so...
    He did it flying and took advantage of everyone being busy, Stussy doesn't seem to be adding anything else.

It does proves my point, if the BM Pirates are all too busy and you fly, you're good to go.

And I mean The Strawhats, Bege, Pound, The Sun Pirates and likely the Germa, all escaped navigating a clearly slower and less safer method. And there's like no reason why CC would wait 24+ hours.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information