+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 978: Introducing the Tobi Roppo

Default Re: Chapter 978: Introducing the Tobi Roppo

I guess Oda just wanted to give us an idea who the strongest Flying Six member is. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I guess Oda just wanted to give us an idea who the strongest Flying Six member is. It worked.
    I guess. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that hat dino was the top dog.

Something I noticed when re-reading this chapter.

Usopp's binocolars are pointing one way while he notices the enemies outside that field of view. Guess Oda's trying to tell us his observation haki is getting better.
    Go go Sogeking

I also like the matchup Black Maria vs Robin.
    A giant vs Robin's sneaky giant limbs attack, would be interesting.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Remember this?
    https://i.postimg.cc/QCj10nYR/sjp1.png
    So, we still don't know how the fight went in the manga. But even if it didn't went like in the anime (Sanji fleeing after failing to cause any harm to Page One), the fact P1 is 100% during the raid after Sanji boldly said he would decrease the BP numbers by taking care of him in a flash... well, there's no way around it, it's a major failure.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I can't see Sanji being promoted to fight a Calamity when we have this failure besmirching his record, he needs to go back against Page One and redeem himself by beating the guy.
    And if Sanji is fighting a Tobi Roppo, I can't see Zoro (and Jinbe) getting a Calamity, so for me it's going to be Zoro x Who's Who; Sanji x Page One; Jinbe x Sasaki.
    Black Maria and Ulti would go for Robin and Nami (not necessarily in this order) if we are playing the obvious card, but I hope Oda doesn't go "girls fight girls"... although, at this point, as long as Nami and Robin get their own fights I am fine with whatever.
    Drake will probably take whoever his opponent is to a hidden room and then just say "let's pretend you killed me so you can move on and I can go undetected doing my stuff".

I know a lot of people are thinking Page One is the weakest of the group because he is being trolled by Ulti/Sasaki, but I don't see how one thing equals to the other. Jabra also got shit from everyone and everything when the CP9 grouped together, yet he was one of the strongest among them.
    Sorry but Sanji being a failure doesn't equal to Zoro and Jinbro also being failures.

Zoro and Jinbro can perfectly go for Calamities since there is no other threat around comparable to their strenght.

Sanji, well... yeah, a Tobi Roppo would be nice even thought, there's still Jack around.

Apoo as DJ and Queen as MC seems like a sick house party. It's cool to see the crew having so much fun and responding to Queen's chant. Too bad the six are such buzzkill.

I agree that Paypay was a weird nickname and I got more by process of elimination than naural flow and I didn't notice anything particular to the girl speech.

I wonder where Kaido's son normally lives.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    That what if queen died conversation seemed pretty out of the blue. But it seems like they talk about that kind of stuff alot, i guess the beast pirates have a quite high staff turnover rate
    I think it is supposed to be them finding Queen annoying and thinking what if he finally died already. And possibly an assasination joke.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Easy, Kaido's wife/lover could've been human.
    There's no reason to assume it's impossible.

It would also explain how he got his devilfruit.
    I forgot that old guy had the barrier power but Bartolomeo is from east blue and went out to sea because of Luffy. He can't be Kaido's son.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    The Viz translation of the Tobi Roppo conversation is really poorly done in my opinion.

I always wait to read the Viz translation first. I usually cross reference with fan translations to understand things that are lacking or less easily discernable.

This one was particularly confusing.

It took reading the fan translation to understand that 'Pay-Pay' was a nickname given by Ulti to Page One. In fact, I didn't even realize it was a reference to Page One at all. 'Pay-Pay' sounds like a Devil Fruit. I thought people were insulting Ulti by calling her by her devil fruit ability. It's a really weird choice in lieu of 'Page-Tan'; I think something like 'Pagey' would've worked better and sounded less like a devil fruit name.

Also, they kept in the joke about Ulti's speech tic (Page One's annoyance at her speaking in a 'trendy' way), but removed the actual tic. It really doesn't make any sense.
    I wouldn't say it was poorly done. Just the opposite in fact. My first inclination was that Ulti was trying to sound extra proper especially when she say's "the nerve of that beastly man." The first thing that came to mind was the little Monopoly monocle guy from Ace Venture Pet Detective. So I say Stephen's translation choice worked very well. I just wasn't sure because I read the fan translations first and wondered if that weird looking word in her sentences was like Youtia, Yougara, or 'N like Usopp'n, Thank you'N.

I can't speak for everyone but Pay Pay immediately came to mind as nick name for Page One especially as the dialogue carried on.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Isn't he literally wearing gloves?
    Some Fishmen wear gloves and they are made to accommodate webbed hands like Vader Decken, but as pointed out he could just not have webbed hands like Hatchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post

Are you mixing Headliners (The top gifters) with lead performers (the calamities)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    The Flying 6 are the strongest Headliners, that's how they were introduced in chapter 929.
    Right, I meant Lead Performers.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Webbed hands are not really present in every Fishman. Hachi and Jack don't have them.

Plus, he has tattoos where his gills normally would be, which is suspicious by itself.
    I didn't think about Hatchi and I guess thats true about Jack as well though some time ago I came to the conclusion that Jack's hands weren't presented clear enough to show the webbing if they are there.

Remember this?
    https://i.postimg.cc/QCj10nYR/sjp1.png
    So, we still don't know how the fight went in the manga. But even if it didn't went like in the anime (Sanji fleeing after failing to cause any harm to Page One), the fact P1 is 100% during the raid after Sanji boldly said he would decrease the BP numbers by taking care of him in a flash... well, there's no way around it, it's a major failure.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I can't see Sanji being promoted to fight a Calamity when we have this failure besmirching his record, he needs to go back against Page One and redeem himself by beating the guy.
    And if Sanji is fighting a Tobi Roppo, I can't see Zoro (and Jinbe) getting a Calamity, so for me it's going to be Zoro x Who's Who; Sanji x Page One; Jinbe x Sasaki.
    Black Maria and Ulti would go for Robin and Nami (not necessarily in this order) if we are playing the obvious card, but I hope Oda doesn't go "girls fight girls"... although, at this point, as long as Nami and Robin get their own fights I am fine with whatever.
    Drake will probably take whoever his opponent is to a hidden room and then just say "let's pretend you killed me so you can move on and I can go undetected doing my stuff".
    Thats a pretty hot take I'd say. It's been over a week since then and the fight wasn't even saga or arc defining. It was a timed fight early in the story so unless Oda had Sanji murder the enemy before more eyes and reinforcements came in what did you expect? It's not often that we get characters who don't fully recover before the next story event. Zoro after Thriller Bark and Lucci after Enies Lobby are the only ones that come to mind.

I mean might as well call out Zoro for not having the Samurai follow his lead in no time as he so boldly claimed at Zoe. Just look at Usopp's reaction to it. And don't forget Zoro getting injured by Killer before the final battle, something Law specifically warned them against. How shameful!

Then because of that Zoro and Jimbei have to deal with the Flying 6 as their SAGA defining battles? They can fight em sure, but the arc highlight will be against a Calamity or Smoothie I can bet good money on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Something I noticed when re-reading this chapter.

Usopp's binocolars are pointing one way while he notices the enemies outside that field of view. Guess Oda's trying to tell us his observation haki is getting better.
    Go go Sogeking
    You might be right actually! Cool!
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

I wonder if Big Mom's crew will change their outfits?

Maybe, yet it was Oda's choice to portray it like that. He chose to have Sanji state he would deal with Page One quickly and that he would stay behind to use the chance to reduce the enemy numbers during the final clash. Even if it was an impossible task because an Ancient Zoan could recover in the meantime regardless (if the anime is right, it's not like Page One suffered any damage to recover from), it was still Oda's choice to put those words on Sanji's mouth and not have them match the outcome, so there is still some need for Sanji to redeem himself by taking P1 down for good.

Regardless of whether or not a rematch happens, I definitely wouldn't frame it as him needing redemption. In the grand scheme of things, it just really wasn't that big a deal for me to harp on.

Well really enjoyed the entry and the harbor looks amazing.

Really enjoying looking at double spreads on MP, though. How hard can it be ffs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Yeah the entry to the harbor is amazing! Because of the new setting it gives a pretty fresh vibe to the arc as a whole I'd say. I'm actually kind of glad we are only seeing this now with the crew as opposed to seeing it earlier in the arc. There is something kind of magical about this portion of Wano.

Man if Zoro doesn't get to clash with that giant Katana at least for a little bit, win, lose or statement I might be a little disappointed! Is it decoration?! Or did/does someone actually wield it?! What if its Continent Puller Oars's weapon that has been left there but also maintained!
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Either way, I think it hypes them up a lot. It's like Oda's telling us to not overlook these guys just because they're not Calamities.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I still don't get what the deal is with the Numbers if the Flying Six are just below the All-Stars.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Well really enjoyed the entry and the harbor looks amazing.

Really enjoying looking at double spreads on MP, though. How hard can it be ffs?
    If you're not seeing the double pages right then you need to change the reading direction to horizontal.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Page-tan is the Jack of the Tobi Roppo, should've suspected as much. Not every character gets to go from muscular dino warrior to DeviantArt fodder.

Typically I wouldn't try to correlate them to a 1v1 with a Straw Hat given the amount of characters they are (and how the final battles have gone since Fish-Man Island), but I could pretty easily see, assuming Zoro-Sanji-Jinbe take on the All-Stars, and Kid & Law help Luffy fight Kaido & Big Mom:

Ulti vs Nami
    Black Maria vs Robin
    Sasaki vs Chopper
    Who's Who vs Brook
    Page One vs Usopp (this one I'm iffy about)

with Franky doing larger-scale attacks with the weapon he said he would invent on Zou.
    They are the strongest headliners, none of those match ups make any sense and are a total mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    If you're not seeing the double pages right then you need to change the reading direction to horizontal.
    Oh dear lord, its much better.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    I still don't get what the deal is with the Numbers if the Flying Six are just below the All-Stars.
    They're huge gigantic monsers.... I guess we'll know more about their deal when they get a proper introduction...

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I don't know what to think of the Tobi Roppo's strenght, in one hand, yeah, The Worst Gens need proper versuses, but in the other, we might not get another chance to show how strong the StrawHats are at thins point, as a whole. so one part of mee, sees Franky, Robin and Brook being capable with the Tobi Roppos, the other part wants X Drake to fight and defeat Who'sWho.

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    I know. Horizontal reduces the size of all the pages, however. Don't see why we can't have best of both worlds, like so many web readers have been managing for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Onigashima's entrance is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    IMO, the implication is that the Numbers are as strong (maybe even stronger?) the Tobi Roppo in terms of sheer brute strength. But what holds them back seems to be them not exactly being the brightest, like they have a limited intelligence thing going on. Like you wouldn't ever give them any real responsibilities or oversight like you would for the Tobi Roppo/Calamities.

I dunno, I'm increasingly interested in them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information