+ Reply to Thread
Page 282 of 318 FirstFirst ... 182 232 272 280 281 282 283 284 292 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,640 of 6359

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    A lot of nobodies made it to Iowa and NH. Nobody will be able to name them in 10 years and yes, Yang very well could be forgotten by then too.

You bring up Harris but she is the VP. And besides the primaries she is the most accomplished black woman in our government as well as likable enough to get picked by Biden. She has only gotten more popular since getting picked as well. The media focused on her plenty she just dropped out due to not having enough money. And as the primary showed, money is not everything since Bloomberg or Bernie would have been our noms if that was the case.

And that's just assumptions. I assume they didn't focus on him because there was no money on following a dark horse who was never going to be a blip in the election. News networks care about ratings here not policies.
    You use the word "nobody" very loosely, but, regardless, you're free to be lazy in how you refer to candidates, but the press doesn't have the same perks. They should know the candidates who are gaining traction (because of polling and donations) and do their research.

Anyway, your assumption is off. It's not just that they didn't waste money on Yang. Andrew Yang himself explains it better: "They've omitted me from their graphics 12+ times, called mt John Yang on air, and given me a fraction of the speaking time over 2 debates despite my polling higher than other candidates on stage." https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1198300556885929984
    Edit: a history: https://vocal.media/theSwamp/a-visua...media-blackout

Obviously, Yang called it on the most obvious things, so you can imagine how much else he lost from the lack of mention on a daily basis in news outlets, not being covered as a serious candidate despite, at some point, being 6th in polling.

As I said, his chances of winning were very low, but as someone who grew so much with a rogue campaign, all Yang needed to breakthrough was a little more coverage in mainstream media for the average american to get to know him. That's what the media should do, be an intermediary instead of boycotting candidates.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; November 24th, 2020 at 11:12 PM.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

I truly don't think more media coverage would have helped. And polling at 6th in a primary is..... super nobody levels as is. Most people can't even name the 3rd placer in the average primary. Without looking it up, who was the 3rd in the Dem 2008 primary? Or the GOP primary 3rd placer?

And I don't mean they wasted money on him, i am saying there no was no money to be gained from covering him.

You can like him and his ideas. I am just saying America was not going to be interested in a nobody when the whole Dem primary was about who could beat Trump. Newbies and/or radicals were never going to be a match for Trump as this election showed.

The media was always going to focus on who could win and/or who could fuck up our chances. And the polls and the donations and all that stuff never showed Yang as being.... well anything. All I am saying if you know how election primaries work.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljWHxQf6K0

Pretty funny how transparent this all is.
    I think I remember seeing the statement she made a few months back, but I hadn't seen her recent interview with Yang.
    https://youtu.be/o3djYwDdUUg

The Hill is unfortunately not a great source any more, with Saagar being an anti-drug Trump apologist whose comments tend to go unopposed by Crystal.

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I think I remember seeing the statement she made a few months back, but I hadn't seen her recent interview with Yang.
    https://youtu.be/o3djYwDdUUg

The Hill is unfortunately not a great source any more, with Saagar being an anti-drug Trump apologist whose comments tend to go unopposed by Crystal.
    Yep pretty telling.

Have not noticed as much in the tid bits i watch on youtube but his twitter is definitely bonkers, for example claiming that GOP is now the party for working class.
    Having said that, has no bearing on what Pekary says herself.

Wasn't a lot of the bullshit that happend during Bushs reign in part dictated by the American publics urge for bloody revenge after 9/11. Like i'm not excusing the Iraq war but it felt like one way or the other some middle eastern nation was going to shed a lot of blood to satiate the kill the terrorists urge

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wasn't a lot of the bullshit that happend during Bushs reign in part dictated by the American publics urge for bloody revenge after 9/11. Like i'm not excusing the Iraq war but it felt like one way or the other some middle eastern nation was going to shed a lot of blood to satiate the kill the terrorists urge
    The desire for revenge did enable the Bush administration to go on a bloody rampage across the Middle East, but he really had no responsibility to give in to that.
    Presidents ignore what the public wants all the time and get away with it.

In retrospect it does feel like Bush invaded Iraq and Afghanistan partially as a way to get Saudi Arabia off the hook, though.

US is never touching their sacred oil partner. Afghanistan is on the war on Terror, Iraq was to put down Saddam, the thing daddy Bush err to do, and for oil, glances and Dick Cheney.

I'm not from the U.S., so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most people were onboard when it came to going to war with Afghanistan back then? Iraq is of course another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I'm not from the U.S., so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most people were onboard when it came to going to war with Afghanistan back then? Iraq is of course another matter.
    According to polls at the time most people were on board with both.

People were on board with Iraq because Bush falsely stated they were developing weapons of mass destruction. It was a farce.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    People were on board with Iraq because Bush falsely stated they were developing weapons of mass destruction. It was a farce.
    And tying them to 9/11 because apparently Saddam hadn’t been freshened up enough by Bush senior.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The desire for revenge did enable the Bush administration to go on a bloody rampage across the Middle East, but he really had no responsibility to give in to that.
    Presidents ignore what the public wants all the time and get away with it.
    Gotta make the defense contractors happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Most people were on board because they did not distinguish between Iraq and Afghanistan in their minds, it was war on terror, and they were countries with terrorist, unfortunately that simple. 9/11 was such a shock, the fact that for the first time, the US could be attacked on their soil, out of reflex people needed reassurance that the ones responsible would pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Most people were on board because they did not distinguish between Iraq and Afghanistan in their minds, it was war on terror, and they were countries with terrorist
    And yet most of the hijackers were saudi...but hey cheap oil can't attack them.

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

Bush invaded Iraq primarily for ideological reasons (spreading democracy) and because of false information about WMDs from Iran affiliated agents such as Ahmed Chalabi, that Bush believed because he's dumb and paranoid.

9/11 just gave him the political capital for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon View Post
    Bush invaded Iraq primarily for ideological reasons (spreading democracy) and because of false information about WMDs from Iran affiliated agents such as Ahmed Chalabi, that Bush believed because he's dumb and paranoid.
    And oil. Don't forget oil.

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    And oil. Don't forget oil.
    no it has nothing to do with oil.

Somewhere in the world Dick Cheney's pocketbucks let out a chuckle.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon View Post
    no it has nothing to do with oil.
    They literally told us it was for the oil.

"The war will pay for itself!"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information