+ Reply to Thread
Page 231 of 320 FirstFirst ... 131 181 221 229 230 231 232 233 241 281 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 6395

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

  1. #4601

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    But when you're making a post presuming a fact of the day, it's not easy to discertain whether your post is mired in absolute truth or sensationalism to help push an agenda.
    I was commenting on two COMMON news stories that any news feed was going to turn up. Like I said, if it was obscure or outlandish or hard to believe, I'd provide a link. Like I always do if the story is hard to believe or if there is a specific source I want to site, as opposed to what I saw on the news.

    I also commented on the fly that landed on Pence's head before that, and I didn't need to provide video evidence, because everyone had easy access to that news.

    That is why it's necessary to include links in your posts to point out the unbiased source. Otherwise, it just gives off an atmosphere of "I'm Robby Bevard! I make a post about what is and what isn't in politics and I expect you all to deal with it because I'm mod and you're not!" And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that is the real reason why some people in this board won't speak up to you about your posts because of your position
    Ah, your issue is with *me*, and not the common news story or the context of my post. Got it.

    But here, have the results of a literally one second google search.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/polit...lth/index.html
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/america...ness-1.5139611
    https://www.rollcall.com/2020/10/09/...5th-amendment/
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...tness-73522467
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pel...-trumps-health
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/elanagr.../#1dbc577e7208
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...018_story.html

    https://apnews.com/article/42fa36ce5...03dcda5fcf03d8
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...rally-in-texas
    https://www.boston.com/news/politics...navirus-spikes
    https://www.kron4.com/news/national/...-return-to-dc/
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...dy/5911905002/
    https://www.newschannel5.com/news/el...thursday-night
    https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/mik...oting-20201008
    https://www.mystateline.com/news/pol...-return-to-dc/
    Last edited by Robby; October 10th, 2020 at 01:18 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  2. #4602

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    One thing Biden has over Trump, when he becomes president, at least if I write a letter to him about my concerns he will at least listen to me compared to Trump who will throw any letter that he doesn't agree in the trash.

    So, hopefully, I can write letters to him about universal healthcare and other issues I really want to see change in this nation. So, that's honesty a positive. Actually, in general I feel like Democrats will listen more to my concerns compared with Republicans.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I was commenting on two COMMON news stories that any news feed was going to turn up. Like I said, if it was obscure or outlandish or hard to believe, I'd provide a link. Like I always do if the story is hard to believe or if there is a specific source I want to site, as opposed to what I saw on the news.
    Well, when you first said it, it felt extremely hard to believe and the way you put it made it feel like the two connected together. It made think that Trump died or something and the 25th amendment was being invoked, and that Pence was gonna be president. That's why I politely asked for a source to clarify what you say because it felt very out there and unreal, plus I honestly really thought something crazy happened, hence my response.

    I don't really check the news or have any favorite site to get the news. Allsides is not really an actual news site, it just links news from different sources and tells me if it is left leaning, central leaning, or right leaning which I try to read all three to see the big picture. So, obviously, it didn't feel like a common news story for me. My only source of news is here and allsides to be honest. And even then I'm trying to avoid the news and focus on myself, which is hard as fuck because I don't want to do anything. x.x
    Last edited by starlalilymoon; October 10th, 2020 at 01:35 AM.

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  3. #4603

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining your viewpoint. Though your statement of changing your mind can be said the same for the Republicans. Honestly, I still feel like both sides are hypocrites because I'm being told one thing and then it gets changed after another. I guess both sides *could change their mind* but I think it's important not to say change one's mind for one aspect, but not for another.
    You're right, theoretically this could be Republicans changing their mind. My issue is that the situation is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago and the Republicans are trying to spin it as different circumstances on a very flimsy basis. It's like saying 'Well, this time it's different because the sun is shining and because it's 4 years later. Oh, and because it's us in charge' (which they may or may not be saying out loud).

    I can definitely see that Democrats are also acting differently than they did 4 years ago. And part of the reason is certainly that they want to prevent a nomination to the Supreme Court that goes against their beliefs and what they think is better for the country and their party. But it doesn't read as disingenuous to me. They are really just holding the Republicans to the established precedence. So if they keep ignoring precedence and their own words and statements, then like I said, all bets are off. For better or worse (most likely better).
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:


  4. #4604

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    You're right, theoretically this could be Republicans changing their mind. My issue is that the situation is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago and the Republicans are trying to spin it as different circumstances on a very flimsy basis. It's like saying 'Well, this time it's different because the sun is shining and because it's 4 years later. Oh, and because it's us in charge' (which they may or may not be saying out loud).

    I can definitely see that Democrats are also acting differently than they did 4 years ago. And part of the reason is certainly that they want to prevent a nomination to the Supreme Court that goes against their beliefs and what they think is better for the country and their party. But it doesn't read as disingenuous to me. They are really just holding the Republicans to the established precedence. So if they keep ignoring precedence and their own words and statements, then like I said, all bets are off. For better or worse (most likely better).
    Yeah, I agree. It's the same thing as four years ago. Honestly, we the people should be voting for the Supreme Justices and not the presidents nominating their own choices. Though I liked Obama's moderate choice, sadly he didn't make it through and it sucks.

    Speaking of Obama.... he was in my dream where I met him and he said something to me, I believe something positive. Honestly, in the waking world, he's one of my favorite presidents and he made good speeches that honestly were positive, uplifting and motivational. But now we have Trump and his fear mongering. :/

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  5. #4605

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Well, when you first said it, it felt extremely hard to believe and the way you put it made it feel like the two connected together.
    They ARE connected though.

    Trump's health is almost certainly the issue related to both things. It's 100% what Pelosi is about. And Pence also cancelled trips and got called back to the Whitehouse last November when Trump had a sudden visit to the hospital that has never been properly explained..

    So the question I raised was... is there something they aren't telling us? Is Trump worse than is being presented? Is his mental state being affected by all the drugs he's on, as is the case with 1/3 of the patients on them?

    It sure seems to be the case.

    And THAT is why we need to know about the physical and mental health of the an in charge of the nuclear codes before he goes out and has another public rally.
    Last edited by Robby; October 10th, 2020 at 02:08 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  6. #4606

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They ARE connected though.
    I looked it up and it never talked about Mike Pence and made no connection with it... And I read the article where Nancy Pelosi just wanted to change stuff in the 25th amendment, you made it seem like it was something completely else. That's why I asked politely for a source, it sounds extremely outlandish and didn't make sense to me when you first said it. >.<

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  7. #4607

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    No, no, it's totally different this time. You see, now pay attention, the President and the senate Majority are the same party!

    I'm not kidding, that's exactly the statement Mitch McConnell made to justify rushing a replacement for Ginsberg.
    Of course. What a slimy hypocrite. The day this lizard king loses his grip over the Senate will be a better one.

  8. #4608

    Default

    So...
    I stumbled on this story on Youtube today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApd...youtu.be&t=708
    Unfortunately APForums doesn't fully support embedded timed links so it has to be hyperlinked.

    The Trump campaign has been robocalling members of ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in New York City and telling them to get out and protest Cuomo.

    Cuomo assumes it's just another attempt to spread division (and maybe turn New York red again), but I really have to ask if it's a coincidence that the guy who two weeks ago couldn't condemn white supremacists is now taking actions that will mostly kill Jews.

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Yeah, well it's better to hope he's telling the truth this time. I just want to get a vaccine and not worry about getting sick.
    I understand the sentiment, but I just don't feel safe trusting people who lied to us when mass death was on the line.
    Plus, we've now been told by some of those same people that the masks may be more effective than the vaccine, so why take the risk?

  9. #4609
    Discovered Stowaway Kirbycide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    If and when a properly tested vaccine comes out, then it will be everyone’s responsibility to get it. That said, once vaccinated, we should definitely continue to social distance, wash our hands, and wear face coverings.

    The truth is that this particular coronavirus will be defeated, there is no doubt about that.

    But life as we know it will never go back to the way it was before the virus. This is going to be yet another virus we will have to keep an eye on, develop new vaccines for, and be careful not to spread to vulnerable populations. Much like we currently do with the flu - we’ll need to be prepared for future mutations and do our best to immunize against them before major outbreaks occur.
    Last edited by Kirbycide; October 10th, 2020 at 07:01 AM.

  10. #4610

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    So...
    I stumbled on this story on Youtube today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApd...youtu.be&t=708
    Unfortunately APForums doesn't fully support embedded timed links so it has to be hyperlinked.

    The Trump campaign has been robocalling members of ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in New York City and telling them to get out and protest Cuomo.

    Cuomo assumes it's just another attempt to spread division (and maybe turn New York red again), but I really have to ask if it's a coincidence that the guy who two weeks ago couldn't condemn white supremacists is now taking actions that will mostly kill Jews.
    Well while this is one possibility, this is the same guy that changed the embassy from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem to pander to the end of the days christians, and of course the ultra orthodox jews and ultra zionists are proabably a big overlap.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post
    If and when a properly tested vaccine comes out, then it will be everyone’s responsibility to get it. That said, once vaccinated, we should definitely continue to social distance, wash our hands, and wear face coverings.

    The truth is that this particular coronavirus will be defeated, there is no doubt about that.

    But life as we know it will never go back to the way it was before the virus. This is going to be yet another virus we will have to keep an eye on, develop new vaccines for, and be careful not to spread to vulnerable populations. Much like we currently do with the flu - we’ll need to be prepared for future mutations and do our best to immunize against them before major outbreaks occur.
    As far as I'm informed the earliest that a proper test vaccine can come is by the ends of january to february, the first wave of distribution will be to medical staff, elderly and those with aggravating medical conditions. Max vaccination probably will start only around late august. So we stick with today's protocol till the end of the years is the safest bet, because as far as I'm informed not one of the proper test vaccine trials determined if it will be a one shot deal or two shots, nor if once vaccinated you get full immunity.

    The most concerning aspect is, as we keep destroying ecosystems for agro business or habitation we will enter in more direct contact with wild animals that are natural reservoirs of yet unknown virus.

  11. #4611
    Discovered Stowaway Kirbycide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Yeah, as I understand it, that’s the main pathway for viral mutations - to jump from one species to another (and back again). There’s nothing we can really do to prevent that, but the more we learn about it, the better we can be at predicting the mutation vector and preparing for it. Despite all our shortcomings, people really are quite brilliant and amazing at learning from their mistakes and preparing for foreseen outcomes.

    It’s the unforeseen outcomes that we need to be most worried about in the future.

  12. #4612

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but I just don't feel safe trusting people who lied to us when mass death was on the line.
    Plus, we've now been told by some of those same people that the masks may be more effective than the vaccine, so why take the risk?
    I understand. Though from the link it feels like the CDC director is talking more about why mask are helpful versus a untested vaccine that has some risks. Honestly, even after a vaccine we still need to have the same practices as before till things finally die down a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post
    If and when a properly tested vaccine comes out, then it will be everyone’s responsibility to get it. That said, once vaccinated, we should definitely continue to social distance, wash our hands, and wear face coverings.
    Yeah, honestly it's gonna be like this for a few more months after the vaccine till mostly everyone got it then it be safe again not to wear a mask anymore or not social distance.

    The truth is that this particular coronavirus will be defeated, there is no doubt about that.
    Yeah, it's here to stay. There's different strands, and this was not the first coronavirus of its kind. I believe SARs back in the early 2000s was a type of Coronavirus.

    This is going to be yet another virus we will have to keep an eye on, develop new vaccines for, and be careful not to spread to vulnerable populations. Much like we currently do with the flu - we’ll need to be prepared for future mutations and do our best to immunize against them before major outbreaks occur.
    Yeah, that's really basically it. Honestly people complain about getting the flu from the flu vaccine, when they don't realize that they probably already had, plus the flu vaccine helps against the more deadly strains of flu. Honestly, it's gonna be the same for the Coronavirus.

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  13. #4613
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    I hope we develop a mask wearing culture similar to Japan's, where people wear them when they're feeling sick to protect others from themselves.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

  14. #4614

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I hope we develop a mask wearing culture similar to Japan's, where people wear them when they're feeling sick to protect others from themselves.
    Yes, I agree with you 100%! I'm actually gonna make sure to wear a face mask from now on whenever I'm sick of whatever even after the pandemic is over. I feel like it's a good practice to have, really. Plus, you can get pretty stylish with face coverings xD

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  15. #4615
    Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a chest, down by the river!

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    I was commenting on two COMMON news stories that any news feed was going to turn up. Like I said, if it was obscure or outlandish or hard to believe, I'd provide a link. Like I always do if the story is hard to believe or if there is a specific source I want to site, as opposed to what I saw on the news.

    I also commented on the fly that landed on Pence's head before that, and I didn't need to provide video evidence, because everyone had easy access to that news.
    THAT is IRRELEVANT! You're stating a CLAIM on an issue in a CHAT FORUM that requires substantiation on your part to be integral and reliable! It has nothing to do with commonality and everything to do with personal integrity and responsibility. Having others be your errand boys is a complete opposite to that effect, especially when you're working here as a MODERATOR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    Ah, your issue is with *me*, and not the common news story or the context of my post. Got it.

    But here, have the results of a literally one second google search.
    One second that you clearly didn't want to take time out of even though it was your responsibility to do so.
    Thank you for your patronage. It was most appreciated! But, those news links are skewed towards left-wing and right-wing media, so it puts your original argument into question.
    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon
    Yeah, that's really basically it. Honestly people complain about getting the flu from the flu vaccine, when they don't realize that they probably already had, plus the flu vaccine helps against the more deadly strains of flu. Honestly, it's gonna be the same for the Coronavirus.
    But the flu vaccine that we're getting this year, is it really an updated version that helps fight against the new strain or is it just leftovers from the previous year that the pharmaceutical industry wants to burn off? Because if I'm going to get a flu shot, I want to make sure that it's going to be the latest version that can fight back against the mutated strain.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue
    The Trump campaign has been robocalling members of ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in New York City and telling them to get out and protest Cuomo.
    How the hell are robocalls still legal?
    Last edited by Kaba Kaba Fruit; October 14th, 2020 at 08:39 AM.

  16. #4616

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    But the flu vaccine that we're getting this year, is it really an updated version that helps fight against the new strain or is it just leftovers from the previous year that the pharmaceutical industry wants to burn off? Because if I'm going to get a flu shot, I want to make sure that it's going to be the latest version that can fight back against the mutated strain.
    That is a good question, I make sure to ask my doctor if it's the updated version or not, though honestly I take it either way.

    My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

  17. #4617
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Middleton, ID

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I hope we develop a mask wearing culture similar to Japan's, where people wear them when they're feeling sick to protect others from themselves.
    That requires Americans to demonstrate more personal responsibility than they generally have to date.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

  18. #4618

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I hope we develop a mask wearing culture similar to Japan's, where people wear them when they're feeling sick to protect others from themselves.
    In The U.S. ! ?
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; October 10th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  19. #4619

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    This is late but sorry about not noticing that you posted Stephen Miller's COVID diagnosis first Green vs Red.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

  20. #4620

    Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

    Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    This is late but sorry about not noticing that you posted Stephen Miller's COVID diagnosis first Green vs Red.
    For what it's worth it's my fault for having the problem of not being more clear with the stuff I post.

    Sometimes SGamer does the deed in my place.

    So I'll try to be less vague and less lazy......speaking of which

    The KKK, Anti Government Militias, Authoritarians aren't the only people who endorse Trump apparently the Taliban is on the bandwagon too.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/taliban...nkId=101703342
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; October 10th, 2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Josl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts