+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Thumbs up Chapter 968: Oden's Return

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006176

The official release is out!

Thoughts:
    - "15 years to grow". Are they talking about both kings? Luffy does not quite fit this timeline... then who could it be?
    - Shanks was crying while everyone at Raftel laughed. Something is up with it.
    - I am confused about the "They have no idea!" comment by Roger about the D.

Default Re: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Maybe King pops up to block Oden's attack

I don't understand what is said here that makes some think Luffy is ruled out. My only guess is that the Sea Kings didn't react to Luffy when he came to Fishman Island.
    Last edited by Cockycent; January 19th, 2020 at 08:44 AM.

Shanks crying is very intriguing, wonder what he asked Roger.

I really hope the second sovereign is not Luffy, that would be so cheesy. I would actually prefer if it was an antagonist/villan.

I think it safe to assume next chapter is the final flashback chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCaesar View Post
    Thoughts:
    - "15 years to grow". Are they talking about both kings? Luffy does not quite fit this timeline... then who could it be?
    - Shanks was crying while everyone at Raftel laughed. Something is up with it.
    - I am confused about the "They have no idea!" comment by Roger about the D.
    I think the "15 years to grow" only refers to the mermaid princess, about whom the Seakings have a foresight of sorts. However they don't necessarily know who the "other king" ("Joyboy", I'm assuming) will be, or when they will be born (maybe "Joyboy" is already born at that time, for all we know). They only know that this "other king" needs to be around in 25 years, which could be about Luffy, or Blackbeard, or why not Vivi (remember Imu's posters ? Doesn't that "snuffing out a candle" suddenly take a new ring ?)
    - I understood "they have no idea" as "no-one comes even close to understanding what the One Piece we found at Laugh Tale is really about". Could be more to it though.

And yeah, seems that we're left with only one chapter in the flashback. The next one really looks like it'll end in Oden's death. At most 2 chapters if Oda wants to take time in staging the boiling and gives an epilogue about Toki / traitor / WB-Roger pirates / various topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I really need Oda to shine a little more light on the whys and hows of Orochi and Kaido.

Discovered Stowaway

I'd have guessed that the other king ist Momonosuke since his ability is similar to Shirahoshi's but the seakings' words seem to suggest someone else.

I thought this chapter would be all about how Orochi and Kaido linked up, but that might be saved for later. I still don't think King = weapon just yet. I want to see the "I wish I had game" part in the anime. They tend to do well with humor.

Based on the timeline, Oden does die from whatever happens here. At least 3-4 year pass after this and he is killed

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Maybe King pops up to block Oden's attack

I don't understand what is said here that makes some think Luffy is ruled out. My only guess is that the Sea Kings didn't react to Luffy when he came to Fishman Island.
    But they did react, they were like "Oh this human can understand us, just like that other human" (referring to Roger). So they noticed him, but they definitely weren't wanting to bow to him.

I think Shank simply confirmed that Roger was dying and the crew would be disbanded soon. That's why he was crying.
    After all Oden also asked in his journal whether Shank and Buggy could be mortal enemies. He overdramatised his analysis.

What surprised me is how Oda literally put next coming of Joyboy without any quote.It is like some sorts of reincarnation. Momo is a dark horse as wordings were vague regarding other sovereign, though I dislike that possibility even more than Luffy being the next Joyboy. A tiny punk controlling world's fate.

Also the timeline is a big How now. Oden should be alive for another 3-4 years after this year. It is hard to believe he managed to ward off Kaido of so long. Also I thought Kinemon's words about nobody being beside them at the end was hinting about some clever ploy by Orochi, but it now seems people left Open simply out of fear.
    Last edited by auem; January 19th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by cryhwks View Post
    But they did react, they were like "Oh this human can understand us, just like that other human" (referring to Roger). So they noticed him, but they definitely weren't wanting to bow to him.
    Yeah, I talked about that in the spoiler thread that they reacted to Luffy similarly to how they reacted to Roger and Oden. I meant to say that the reaction wasn't more than usual, so that would be an indicator that he isn't who they are waiting for.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I really need Oda to shine a little more light on the whys and hows of Orochi and Kaido.
    I hope it is addressed next chapter, but for now, I have to imagine The Crone was an ex-Rocks or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by cryhwks View Post
    You assume they would recognize the other king based on some kind of magical aura rather than his actions

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Based on the timeline, Oden does die from whatever happens here. At least 3-4 year pass after this and he is killed
    Oh, you're right ; Momonosuke is still far younger than when we first met him, so things have to go nicely this time around. Maybe we're in for more chapters than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I love the look on Roger's face when he says his son will be be the one that finishes what he started.

Joy-boy appears....hmmm...
    Either he's some immortal individual who will only reappear when the promised time comes, or Joy-boy is some sorta title and is referring to the next pirate king or something...
    In any case, it certainly gives a lot to speculate over

Someone that will surpass us( roger), so it's luffy.

I'm a little bit pissed that all that was told by Kinemon and not shown

So there really is a second King around. The question is if they're talking about Shirahoshi's future consort (their other sovereign) or another King entirely.

If it's the latter then it could be Uranus, as Pluton is already confirmed to be a battleship.

Now if we take this one step further and assume that all big endgame players will have access to an ancient weapon, then Luffy is obviously backed by Shirahoshi, Blackbeard could unearth Pluton and the Government might be already in "possession" of the other King, Uranus (Imu?).

Seems fitting, considering how Uranus means sky or heaven, and Imu already resides in Maries Jois among the clouds. Now adding the fact that the Seakings anticipate the use of Noah (to relocate the Merfolk to the surface?) a meeting between Poseidon and Uranus makes sense.

As for the translation, could any native speaker elaborate what exactly "I wish I had game" means? I can guess because of the context, but it doesn't even show up in google (the search is corrupted by the "game" tag, you only get streamers and other garbage as a result) and urban dictionary is blank too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    So there really is a second King around. The question is if they're talking about Shirahoshi's future consort (their other sovereign) or another King entirely.

If it's the latter then it could be Uranus, as Pluton is already confirmed to be a battleship.

Now if we take this one step further and assume that all big endgame players will have access to an ancient weapon, then Luffy is obviously backed by Shirahoshi, Blackbeard could unearth Pluton and the Government might be already in "possession" of the other King, Uranus (Imu?).

Seems fitting, considering how Uranus means sky or heaven, and Imu already resides in Maries Jois among the clouds. Now adding the fact that the Seakings anticipate the use of Noah (to relocate the Merfolk to the surface?) a meeting between Poseidon and Uranus makes sense.

As for the translation, could any native speaker elaborate what exactly "I wish I had game" means? I can guess because of the context, but it doesn't even show up in google (the search is corrupted by the "game" tag, you only get streamers and other garbage as a result) and urban dictionary is blank too.
    Not a native speaker, and to be honest i am surprised that Stephan used this Mangastream-like translation, it´s basically the ability to pick up women.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=Having%20game

Best of part of the chapter has to be Oden straihgt-up bullshitting in his diary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Maybe you are too young to remember that guy who wrote a book about a how to pick-up women. The book that got every university beer chugger to put on colorful hats and go around insulting women to lower their self esteem. Now i'm sure the word was in use stateside before that, but the concept of learning the game and having game blew over to Europe when he released the book called the game like 2006 or something. I remember it vividly because it was the first year i could legally get into a pub and got to witness the spectacle of "pick-up artists" making asses of themselves to show that they had game. Funny stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information