+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Default Re: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Man, I was starting to wonder how close we were to getting an unprecedented whole volume of flashbacks for volume 96, but it's not even close. This is only the fourth chapter of the book. All the end of year breaks have thrown my sense of time off so badly. Every year, it never gets any easier!

Shanks question to Roger is something we're definitely coming back to. Is it about what he expected the One Piece to be? Was he hoping the last island would have a cure for Roger's illness? Does his question and the answer he received have anything to do with his current role in the world and he relationship with the Five Elders?

The treasure being dubbed the One Piece while Roger lives is a really interesting point. I kinda liked the idea of the name coming from his last words (as per the 4kids intro I guess) but it seems to have just popped up on its own. Meh. At least the line "and they have no idea" reads like the name is somehow fitting for what they found. Maybe it leaked from the World Government, after some meeting from the upper echelons who might actually know what it is they're covering up.

I'm seeing a lot of people feeling real unhappy about the second Neptunian sovereign and the talk of the return of Joyboy and the implication that either or both could be Luffy, but let's be real, One Piece has always had talk of destiny and inheriting the will of your predecessors. Luffy was accepted as the inheritor of Roger's will long ago; does it make all that much of a difference if he's inheriting from Joyboy as well? Or inheriting Roger inheriting Joyboy? And in terms of being a chosen one, we've got the Will of the D, the King's Haki and the Voice of All Things before you factor in being the son of Dragon the Revolutionary and the grandson of Garp the Hero. Listen, I think chosen one tropes are as boring as everyone else, but Luffy has always been a special little guy. The interconnected lore of big fantasy stories always seems to end up tying the hero back to important figures and concepts. It's something you learn to live with in the genre I guess.

I did see the counterpoint to Luffy being the sovereign/Joyboy that the Neptunians didn't really care about him being at Fishman Island or making contact with Shirahoshi. They were surprised he could hear them at all, so that doesn't scan him being the one they're expecting. What I think would be neat would be a royal sovereign for each of the ancient weapons. Perhaps in form of the three princesses Luffy's saved over the years. The royal family of Alabasta was entrusted with the location of Pluton, which is interesting, but there's little to connect Dressrosa to anything else. And also, if the Neptunians knew about two sovereigns it would make sense for them to know about the third as well, but they don't mention them. Another mystery for the ages.

And then we're back to Wano and as much as I've been keen to see how things got the way they are in the present, it can't help feeling slightly flat after all the Roger stuff. Especially factoring in the knowledge that the pivotal moment of the story is still five years away. What could possibly come from Oden's raid on the palace that would be both a satisfying outcome and still allow the next five years to happen. I think we've got at least another chapter to get through one way or the other before we're close to Kaido arriving. That said, the run to the palace was a pretty great sequence, and the storytelling through the damaged environment as Oden makes his way in were pretty great.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter, but not expecting anything super huge from it. Just a transition between where we are now and the climax of the flashback. Gotta adjust my level of anticipation from Roger's journey back to the Wano plot. Hopefully no breaks until until we reach the final stage of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What could possibly come from Oden's raid on the palace that would be both a satisfying outcome and still allow the next five years to happen.
    The way I see it, Kaido may show up next chapter yet be driven back (maybe taking a wound from Enma in the process). Kaido isn't invincible after all, in fact we were told he has been captured plenty of times in the course of his life. He doesn't die, but he can be defeated in battle.
    So Oden drives him back, probably after he cut down the mysterious hag who was acting as Orochi's body double. Her Devil Fruit becomes available again and Bon Clay will find it a few years down the road, but that's another story.
    Life goes on. Oden assumes the position of Shogun while Orochi and Kaido plot in the shadows. He works hard to open the borders (and mentalities) of Wano, except that this gradually turns against him the more conservative among the scabbards (or someone else in his entourage). When Orochi and Kaido make their comeback a few years later, this person will assume the role of the traitor and, unbeknownst to the other Scabbards, let Oden's family (whom had been protected earlier) be captured. He surrenders to save his loved ones and the rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

So flashback is over soon and I really liked it.

But this also means... Sanji will return soon <333

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    The way I see it, Kaido may show up next chapter yet be driven back (maybe taking a wound from Enma in the process). Kaido isn't invincible after all, in fact we were told he has been captured plenty of times in the course of his life. He doesn't die, but he can be defeated in battle.
    So Oden drives him back, probably after he cut down the mysterious hag who was acting as Orochi's body double. Her Devil Fruit becomes available again and Bon Clay will find it a few years down the road, but that's another story.
    Life goes on. Oden assumes the position of Shogun while Orochi and Kaido plot in the shadows. He works hard to open the borders (and mentalities) of Wano, except that this gradually turns against him the more conservative among the scabbards (or someone else in his entourage). When Orochi and Kaido make their comeback a few years later, this person will assume the role of the traitor and, unbeknownst to the other Scabbards, let Oden's family (whom had been protected earlier) be captured. He surrenders to save his loved ones and the rest is history.
    That's a pretty reasonable prediction. If I was editing the story I'd worry about repetition with Kaido arriving, being driven back, then arriving again in what would essentially be consecutive chapters. Hag shenanigans are definitely something I'm looking forward to though. I wonder if there's a way her switcheroos with the real Orochi could be used to keep Kaido from arriving at all until the timeline syncs up.

You also have to wonder if and how Moria might play into this whole thing. At first I thought his arrival might be used as a distraction that helps keep Oden in place for another five years, but apparently his clash with Kaido isn't until after Roger's execution, so who even knows if we're getting an acknowledgement of that this time around.

I trust Oda to have it worked out, we just probably don't have all the pieces to see his plan yet.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Didnt a bunch of whales welcome Luffy on his arrival to the NW??

U did it again Oda

I see a lot of people including Oden as Shogun in their predictions, some people asking when he is becoming Shogun... am I forgetting something? Because I don't remember he ever being addressed as the former Shogun, just as a Daimyo.

Well, in chapter 654 whales literally carried Sunny.
    It now seemed to be a sort of recognition.
    Spoiler:
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I see a lot of people including Oden as Shogun in their predictions, some people asking when he is becoming Shogun... am I forgetting something? Because I don't remember he ever being addressed as the former Shogun, just as a Daimyo.
    He is the actual Shogun now, Orochi is just supposed to be a vassal and placeholder for Oden, so yeah technically he already is.
    Practically he probably never will.

So whatever the One Piece is Roger had to leave it behind because there was some condition he hadn't met?
    Maybe Whitebeard and Shanks knew they to get their own shot at the treasure they had to have someone with them that met it and both could've known that Roger's son was the best candidate, even if neither knew exactly who that was.
    This increases my suspicion that Shanks wasn't in Foosha Village by coincidence way back then, he was actively searching for Ace. Maybe when he met Luffy he sensed the same qualities and decided saving him was worth an arm because at the very least it meant he had a back-up option out there.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I'm under the (possibly mislead) impression that Kinemon & co always presented him as the Shogun ; since he has another 4 years to live (and 4 years before Toki sends Momo & co to the future) I'm assuming he will get to occupy his rightful position at least for a while.
    Then again, "the rightful shogun" is the one and only way his retainers will always see him even if he never actually sets foot on the throne. Maybe he is betrayed, beaten and captured right now, then civil war breaks out between Orochi and the Daimyos and 4 years is how long it will take Kaido to try and break him, then failing that, boil him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangaroa View Post
    So whatever the One Piece is Roger had to leave it behind because there was some condition he hadn't met?
    Maybe Whitebeard and Shanks knew they to get their own shot at the treasure they had to have someone with them that met it and both could've known that Roger's son was the best candidate, even if neither knew exactly who that was.
    This increases my suspicion that Shanks wasn't in Foosha Village by coincidence way back then, he was actively searching for Ace. Maybe when he met Luffy he sensed the same qualities and decided saving him was worth an arm because at the very least it meant he had a back-up option out there.
    My bet is that Roger & Co probably found a certain profecy (since this is a thing now) that says something along the lines "When one true successor of D will unite all of the free kingdoms to go up against the usurpers (WG)" and is the reason why people who know this decided to back-up Luffy since he is able to bring people together all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    Really loved Kinemon's explanation and apology in regards to what happened to Toki. I really felt bad for him in that moment.

If nothing else, this flashback and the last few chapters before it started have made me really like Kinemon as a character!

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Oden was able to understand the PG's text, but it wasn't said that he could hear the voices like Roger.
    They both heard the voices in the water. When Roger mention it, Oden say he hears it too and they both had the same feeling of being watched on Zou.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    They both heard the voices in the water. When Roger mention it, Oden say he hears it too and they both had the same feeling of being watched on Zou.
    The voices from Zunesha and the Sea Kings is not what i'm referring to. When Roger was near the PG, he said he heard voices and that made it easy to find. Oden was not shown to do that. I still question how VOAT works.

Is it like Haki where there's CoC, CoO, and CoA? Basically multiple capabilities. Can some hear for certain creature and objects, while others can command. Maybe whatever Roger and Luffy can command hasn't been shown yet. Roger and and Oden have CoC, but Shirahoshi and Momo haven't been addressed on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Shanks crying is very intriguing, wonder what he asked Roger.

I really hope the second sovereign is not Luffy, that would be so cheesy. I would actually prefer if it was an antagonist/villan.

I think it safe to assume next chapter is the final flashback chapter.
    maybe Roger told him Bagy was right about the North and South Pole

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    The voices from Zunesha and the Sea Kings is not what i'm referring to. When Roger was near the PG, he said he heard voices and that made it easy to find. Oden was not shown to do that. I still question how VOAT works.
    Roger doesn't listen to the stones either while Oden is there. I think the sea king scene was an indication that they could both do it. They just didn't need to do it anymore because of Oden reading the stones instead of super vague voices.

Is it like Haki where there's CoC, CoO, and CoA? Basically multiple capabilities. Can some hear for certain creature and objects, while others can command. Maybe whatever Roger and Luffy can command hasn't been shown yet. Roger and and Oden have CoC, but Shirahoshi and Momo haven't been addressed on that front.
    Did we Oden use conqueror?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Roger doesn't listen to the stones either while Oden is there. I think the sea king scene was an indication that they could both do it. They just didn't need to do it anymore because of Oden reading the stones instead of super vague voices.

Did we Oden use conqueror?
    Roger said specifically in 966 that hearing the voices from the stones in Skypiea made them easy to find.

When Luffy subconsciously used CoC, Asura said that Oden could do the same. Also, when WB and Oden clashed, it was clearly shown that they were both Conquerors.

So the two sovereigns are Shirahoshi and Vivi. Poseidon and Pluton.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

The few stuff we know about Pluton is all too strange.

Our first source is Crocodile, who cannot read Poneglyphs and got to know somehow about a gigantic ship that blows entire islands.
    Tom San, talks about the blueprints of a thing that could counter the power of an ancient weapon.
    Said blueprints literally read "Pluton" on them but Franky doesnt want to talk either.
    Robin who knows whats up, haven't said a thing about it.

I said there's a chance Crocodile got it wrong and Pluton is not a ship, but still uggh. I need more answers than ever before.

I am the Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    The few stuff we know about Pluton is all too strange.

Our first source is Crocodile, who cannot read Poneglyphs and got to know somehow about a gigantic ship that blows entire islands.
    Tom San, talks about the blueprints of a thing that could counter the power of an ancient weapon.
    Said blueprints literally read "Pluton" on them but Franky doesnt want to talk either.
    Robin who knows whats up, haven't said a thing about it.

I said there's a chance Crocodile got it wrong and Pluton is not a ship, but still uggh. I need more answers than ever before.
    It was not just Crocodile, Iceburg and Tom also said that it was a warship and I think it is very unlikely that carpenters so talented and who looked at the plants several times cannot realize that it is a ship.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information