+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Default Re: Chapter 968: Oden's Return

Add me to the crowd of people convinced that we'll get some kind of Kaido flashback later on in the arc that will fill in a lot of blanks. It's almost suspicious how little we have learned about Kaido's reason for being in Wano and his partnership with Orochi. I don't see Oda giving Kaido the shaft in favor of Orochi by having him be completely overshadowed by him for the complete arc, especially since Oda has given each of the other Yonkou a huge and important presence in the overall story, with one being Luffy's personal idol, one being the final villain of the story, one being the major rival of the former Pirate King (with major focus in one of the most crucial arcs of the series) and one having an insane wildcard status in the story. While Kaido has had the most traditional role in the story so far for a Yonkou (i.e. being a simple arc antagonist, albeit of a majorly important and big arc), I can't picture Oda giving him no backstory aside from "I'm strong and I want to destroy your spirit mwaha, also I'm drunk *hic*".

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Orochi and Kaido actually interact onscreen soon.

A flashback has to serve some kind of purpose within the arc´s narrative. Like i said, Oda did focus more on villains post-TS, but their flashbacks made sense.
    Hody was part about the whole Fishman Island history, and how empty his hatred is, in an arc in which Oda showed the negative implications of inherited will.
    Doflamingo´s was important to underline what he is and thus how he was able to do what he did, and also underline the DD-Law relationship and how the latter could have ended up just like Doflamingo, had Corazon not intervened, showing the entire reason why Law targeted DD in teh first place and why Dressrosa actually happened.
    Kaidou so far seems like a side character whose motivations seem insignificant for the arc and its path, Oda could easily do a flashback, do not see how it is necessary.
    The being captured and not dying was hyping his durability, him being an Oni will be a twist, his motivation so far is seeking strength and not being able to die due to being too durable.

i'm also in the camp that Kaido (and Orochi) are going to get their own separate flashback. which like, there have already been a ton of flashbacks this arc, but there are so many moving parts in Wano that i think this flashback would feel bloated if Oda devoted the time to flesh them out completely and recap Oden's journey and give us details about the Roger Pirates/Laugh Tale/the One Piece. the focus of this flashback has squarely been on Oden and Roger, and it's already pushing what? 11 chapters?. Kaido hasn't been particularly fleshed out a whole lot, but there are also a ton of holes in his background that read (to me) as left very deliberately blank to be filled in later. plus as a major endgame antagonist and a member of the Rocks (which as a person and a crew we know very little about aside from its members), i imagine that Oda would want to have an entire flashback (though probably not as long as this one) just to put Kaido in the spotlight, at least similar to what Big Mom got. like i get that we haven't seen a whole lot about Kaido and him developing that working relationship with Orochi, but the perspective of this flashback is shaped by Oden's, so of course Kaido comes out of seemingly nowhere in this flashback because he comes out of nowhere to Oden.

like why does Kaido have a death wish? what exactly is Kaido? his time with the Rocks Pirates? why is he in Wano? those are details we're still missing and knowing Oda and the fact that he straight up just cannot help himself to elaborate on something, i think he's saving a lot of those details for when he can focus on Kaido specifically (and probably when Kaido becomes more of a presence in the present, i.e. the raid on Onigashima), as opposed to trying to juggle Oden and Roger and Orochi and Kaido all at once.

Edit:
    i'm just saying that the raid on Onigashima is probably going to go similarly to the Tea Party (see: it fails) and that it'll probably get interrupted by a 2-3 chapter Kaido flashback, just like we got for Big Mom in Whole Cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Not odd at all. Why is a Kaido flashback in his own arc Odd?

Thinking differently is actually odd.
    Mostly odd because it'd be weird to go out of one long flashback that covers one era and then have another long flashback that covers the same time period but from the villains point of view. Like i said, it could happen, but i'd need some proper motivation to warrant that kind of flashback bloating

it would also be a bit odd that Mum get a flasback but Kaidou ain't. it's not a 10 chapters flashback we are talking about but a 1 or 2 one

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    It technically happened in Whole Cake with a Sanji flashback followed by a Big Mom one. Also Kuro and Usopp both got flashbacks.
    Wasn't Doflamingo's flashback one of the last ones in Dressrosa too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    Wasn't Doflamingo's flashback one of the last ones in Dressrosa too?
    I don't remember if he got one separate from Law or not?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Mostly odd because it'd be weird to go out of one long flashback that covers one era and then have another long flashback that covers the same time period but from the villains point of view. Like i said, it could happen, but i'd need some proper motivation to warrant that kind of flashback bloating
    There is nothing odd, if Kaido get's a 2-3 full chapters for his flashback. Kaido himself is a mystery and his story and his past should be told

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    it would also be a bit odd that Mum get a flasback but Kaidou ain't. it's not a 10 chapters flashback we are talking about but a 1 or 2 one
    Exactly a 2-3 chapter of Kaido's past is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    I just realized Inuarashi and Nekomamushi fought Kaidou's army enough to not... Not recognize Jack as they did back to Zou, as we know a "Jack" also was there back then. Is it possible for him being another officer to held the same name before the Mammoth one? I remember him being too young too as stated in Vivre Cards.
    Jack is 28 years old according to the Vivre card....
    So he was just a young kid back then apparently...if not was't even in the crew at the time..

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

How can anyone possibly think Kaido won't get a flashback. Even if it is a short one that is a few chapters...

We need to learn more about why he is how he is..
    Why is he so bored of living that he constantly tries to kill himself...etc

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    Edit: i'm just saying that the raid on Onigashima is probably going to go similarly to the Tea Party (see: it fails) and that it'll probably get interrupted by a 2-3 chapter Kaido flashback, just like we got for Big Mom in Whole Cake.
    I'm also in the "need to hear more about Kaido (and his relation to Orochi) group, and the above sounds like how it could reasonably go.
    Complete Oden's flashback > Back to the present and Onigashima raid > eventually (could still be a long time from now), the confrontation versus Kaido gets serious enough (i.e not one-sided anymore) > that's when I would expect a short flashback that explores his motivation and character

Doesn't have to take place right now, but I will be sorely disappointed if by the end of this arc Kaido's character has become the new Doflamingo's eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Does it need to be told specifically in a flashback?

There could be other ways to adress those things.

He is a yonko who is a mystery why would Oda do different with Kaido.

There is no other way to tell Kaido's being without a flashback. This discussion is getting ridiculous tbh
    Last edited by Shirley; January 19th, 2020 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    it's like most of dressrosa would be about diamante and about doflamingo only at the end. Also kaidou got captured many times, so who else besides wg would even want to captured that thing, and vegapunk made artificial smile version of kaidou's dragon.
    Doflamingo had the entire dressrosa under his control and was the focus since punk hazard, so not the same.

Not specifically a flashback indeed, but Oda does like his formulas. However it is told, after several years of building up this saga and Kaido, it would be quite the troll to leave us with nothing more than "he was a big bad drunk who enjoyed a good brawl".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Ehh, Kaidou might not be the most fleshed out character but he has at least still shown some personality compare to Lucci who was always a blank-slate muscle dude.
    I would not call being a drunk and supposedly being suicidal which makes no sense, a personality yet.
    He is more expressive than Lucci, which can be explained by the latter being a government agent who is supposed to keep calm, yet his bloodthirsty tendencies still came through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Thank you. I figured it would be something along those lines, the alternative being a child-friendly version of "I wish I had pussy" (which would also be in line with the Ninja dudes usual attitude).
    Your previous comment about streaming had me thinking you were talking about Ninja for a moment and I was so shocked and confused.

I'm kinda surprised you're questioning a Kaido flashback. That always felt like it would be a given. I don't think he's that simple a character.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    OFC every opponent of Luffy has gotten one, so why would Oda do different with Kaido.

There is no other way to tell Kaido's being without a flashback. This discussion is getting ridiculous tbh
    Alvida, Krieg, Smoker, Crocodile, Enel, Lucci, Moria and so forth did not get one, assuming you are referring to chapter long flashbacks, not small snippets.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Alvida, Krieg, Smoker, Crocodile, Enel, Lucci, Moria and so forth did not get one, assuming you are referring to chapter long flashbacks, not small snippets.
    True iirc Katakuri had just small snippets. Cracker even had none of it, but yeah I take part of my comment back.

Putting aside all the will it or won't it. Y'know who was so much better for not having a flashback? Crocodile. Honestly a chapters long wind on about how he got his scar and how WB humiliated him and how he ended up in Alabasta would've taken away from his shine. We learned enough from the snippets of info given and who he was in present time to not care about where he came from.

Putting aside all the will it or won't it. Y'know who was so much better for not having a flashback? Crocodile. Honestly a chapters long wind on about how he got his scar and how WB humiliated him and how he ended up in Alabasta would've taken away from his shine. We learned enough from the snippets of info given and who he was in present time to not care about where he came from.
    Well, Crocodile was a contrast to Luffy in the sense of not stepping on the bike immediately after you fell off, hence why he could not comprehend luffys stubbornness and determination to face him over and over again.
    And if you looked carefully at what transpires and what crocodile reveals of himself by denying luffys will and mocking those that actually try, yeah you get that fully even without any flashback and revealing that WB was essentially the wall he could not overcome, while he was supposed to be the same for luffy.
    Later it was a nice addition.
    Not everything has to be explained witb flashbacks, characterization has many paths.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information