+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 448

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

  1. #241
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    One comprehension issue I don't ever seen brought up is that when they're left in Japanese and written as they are, it's not really clear the admiral epithets are two word things. It's not an issue with most of them, but going in manga only, my mental pronounciation of Akainu was Ack-eye-noo for way too goddamn long, because what other sound was an a and an i together meant to make to my English speaking brain. It was actually years before I stumbled onto an anime clip or some youtube thing that made me twig that aka and inu were meant to be said as their own things.
    It's interesting, because as a Hungarian, this isn't really an issue for me. "A" and "I" together don't really pronounce any other sounds.


  2. #242

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Anyone else remembers those translations parody from CCC?

    You know, the one with the Boogie-Loving Rookie, Bolomeo.

  3. #243
    Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure


    Spoiler:

  4. #244
    Undercover Shipwright Zeorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Top Secret

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Obviously this isn't noticeable in Japanese because they use kanji for the admiral epithets but when spelled out in English Kuzan is one letter away from Kazan which means volcano...but he doesn't have the magma fruit!

    And the only way to solve the admiral problem is to give them pokemon names that combine those words.

    Yellkey, Bleasant, and Rog. Also Grebull and Purpger.
    Avatar Artist: Aapo Niemi

  5. #245
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Purpger is wonderful.


  6. #246

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Wonder how OP would've been if they had gone full gag dub on it. Like samurai pizza cats levels of writing your own shit to fit the lip movements

  7. #247
    Undercover Shipwright Zeorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Top Secret

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    This time I really have figured out what One Piece is. So in Japanese it is literally spelled out phonetically as ワンピース. It actually has an English name written to sound the same in Japanese for anyone who doesn't know.

    One becomes ワン, but ワン is also the sound a dog makes in Japanese. Wan-wan is like woof-woof.

    Piece becomes ピース, but that is also the same way to phonetically write Peace.

    So the whole time it was just a pun meaning "Puppy-sounds Peace" and the final island is full of puppies which of course brings peace to whoever goes to puppy island.

    We're all getting puppies!
    Avatar Artist: Aapo Niemi

  8. #248

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    It's interesting, because as a Hungarian, this isn't really an issue for me. "A" and "I" together don't really pronounce any other sounds.
    No kidding. Always interesting what sounds other languages do or don't have. Just another point going to show how there's no answer to this kind of thing that could possible please everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    Obviously this isn't noticeable in Japanese because they use kanji for the admiral epithets but when spelled out in English Kuzan is one letter away from Kazan which means volcano...but he doesn't have the magma fruit!

    And the only way to solve the admiral problem is to give them pokemon names that combine those words.

    Yellkey, Bleasant, and Rog. Also Grebull and Purpger.
    Wasn't Grebull that guy Caribou was mistaken for? Maybe you're onto something here...

    Purpger though

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wonder how OP would've been if they had gone full gag dub on it. Like samurai pizza cats levels of writing your own shit to fit the lip movements
    I feel like that kind of thing wouldn't work as well for One Piece because it doesn't take itself that seriously to begin with. That makes it inherently hard to parody. Same reason that even in the golden age of that kind of thing no abridged series ever really took off (save for None Piece's bombastic surrealism being kind of memorable I guess)

    tbh the old WanPiss comics that went around /a/ and tumblr a while back (apparently like seven years ago no, fuck I'm getting old) were always my favourite OP spoof. From the Nedroid redraws to the actual story ones, these were always solid gold.

  9. #249

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wonder how OP would've been if they had gone full gag dub on it. Like samurai pizza cats levels of writing your own shit to fit the lip movements
    4kids tried that a few times.

  10. #250
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by kaisergreyx View Post
    Guys if u want debate about the name of a char they still use same word on the kanji/hiragana/katakana... Use it and problem solved..

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    What does this even mean??

  11. #251

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    I wonder how will Oda go with the Laugh Tale thing in the future. Given the unconventional writing, it seems he didn't even want Japanese readers to have an idea of the real signification. But is that the same for the people in One Piece world ?
    For One Piece translators, it would be easier if the meaning had been lost in time so that people from Roger crew call it Laugh Tale while others continue to call it Raftel
    Last edited by Kdom; January 11th, 2020 at 04:55 AM.

  12. #252

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I wonder how will Oda go on the future with the Laugh Tale writing in the future. Given the unconventional writing, it seems he didn't even want Japanese readers to have an idea of the real signification but is that the same for the people in One Piece world ?
    For One Piece translators, it would be easier if the meaning had been lost in time so that people from Roger crew call it Laugh Tale while others continue to call it Raftel
    That would actually be really cool. If Laugh Tale becomes a secret that only the Roger pirates know. Not even Shanks and Buggy know it probably

  13. #253
    of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Podcastland

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    This time I really have figured out what One Piece is. So in Japanese it is literally spelled out phonetically as ワンピース. It actually has an English name written to sound the same in Japanese for anyone who doesn't know.

    One becomes ワン, but ワン is also the sound a dog makes in Japanese. Wan-wan is like woof-woof.

    Piece becomes ピース, but that is also the same way to phonetically write Peace.

    So the whole time it was just a pun meaning "Puppy-sounds Peace" and the final island is full of puppies which of course brings peace to whoever goes to puppy island.

    We're all getting puppies!
    I’d be okay with this.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

    The views expressed are solely my own.

  14. #254
    Duuuude
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Queens, New York, USA

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    That would actually be really cool. If Laugh Tale becomes a secret that only the Roger pirates know. Not even Shanks and Buggy know it probably
    Unfortunately, Crocus told the Straw Hats about the existence of "Raftel" when explaining the Grand Line to them.

  15. #255

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Unfortunately, Crocus told the Straw Hats about the existence of "Raftel" when explaining the Grand Line to them.
    Nah, Crocus just wouldn't have known for sure at the time the crew was ready for the secret. The real hole in this headcannon is Roger himself using Raftel during Whitebeard's Marineford flashback. In the middle of an offer to tell Whitebeard how to get there. During a conversation where he went out of his way to correct other public misconceptions such as being called "Gold Roger." There's not really any getting around that one.

  16. #256
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Am I wrong when I say that The One Piece wasn't ever mentioned by name in this flashback? Have we seen anyone mention a treasure called One Piece before Roger's execution, or is it like Laugh Tale?

    Even in this chapter the news don't mention One Piece.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

  17. #257

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    Am I wrong when I say that The One Piece wasn't ever mentioned by name in this flashback? Have we seen anyone mention a treasure called One Piece before Roger's execution, or is it like Laugh Tale?

    Even in this chapter the news don't mention One Piece.
    Roger must have named it that.

  18. #258

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    Am I wrong when I say that The One Piece wasn't ever mentioned by name in this flashback? Have we seen anyone mention a treasure called One Piece before Roger's execution, or is it like Laugh Tale?

    Even in this chapter the news don't mention One Piece.
    It was invented by some random dude who was watching Rogerīs execution



    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Chapter wasn't that hot in my opinion.

    I mean not bad at all. But a pretty standard info dump chapter.
    Depends on how much you empathize with Roger and his adventure spirit i guess. Seeing him laugh like that upon seeing the treasure we have been waiting for to see for such a long time and that reaction, and then thinking about his decision to basically humiliate himself to literal death, so that the next generations might get inspired enough to look for the treasure, for me itīs emotional.

  19. #259
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    It was invented by some random dude who was watching Rogerīs execution


    I had that thought, but thinking about it now, that dude doesn't even exist in the manga, so that scene is not where the name is introduced.



    Spoiler:
    Maybe One Piece isn't real.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

  20. #260

    Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    I had that thought, but thinking about it now, that dude doesn't even exist in the manga, so that scene is not where the name is introduced.



    Spoiler:
    Maybe One Piece isn't real.
    Nah that was a joke, albeit a very good scene, which unfortunately suggests Roger never actually planned to talk about his treasure, which we all know is not true.

    I think Oda might purposely constrict the usage considering, as Robby suggested somewhere in this thread, One Piece might suggest the unification of the world, which the World Government divided, and also the resulting peace, with the same pronunciation won peace. So yeah, i do think Joy Boy probably named it as such.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts