+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 915: ''Destruction! The Thunder Bagua One-Shot!''

Default Re: 915: ''Destruction! The Thunder Bagua One-Shot!''

My only disappointment with this episode is that they cut out the part where Kaidou sighs in disappointment while Luffy's attacking him.

To me, that moment was more impactful in depicting the large difference between Kaidou and Luffy, more so than the 1 hit KO.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Maybe this is what some Star Wars fans feel like with PT, TLJ and TRoS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    My only disappointment with this episode is that they cut out the part where Kaidou sighs in disappointment while Luffy's attacking him.

To me, that moment was more impactful in depicting the large difference between Kaidou and Luffy, more so than the 1 hit KO.
    What about him needing to do stretches before he hit Luffy? Doesn't that also kind of show, that even after all that punishment, Luffy's attacks hadn't even stimulated Kaido's body?

I think that TOEI wants to turn OP into DB... At least the anime

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    What about him needing to do stretches before he hit Luffy? Doesn't that also kind of show, that even after all that punishment, Luffy's attacks hadn't even stimulated Kaido's body?
    Yeah, but the sigh to me was such a great moment because it conveyed alot.

First it showed that Kaidou had lowkey high expectations for Luffy as an actual threat. But then they clash and he's like "Ah damnit, another weak guy doing weak guy stuff."

It also showed that for all of Luffy's rage and anger in that moment, it was all for nothing. A really neat subversion of the Shounen Protagonist gets angry and overpowers anything as a result.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

This episode was all around rough in terms of adaptation. They took a ton of liberties and changed a lot. Still a great episode with stunning animation, though. It’s surreal to watch dragon Kaido on screen; bummer we won’t be getting it again for a year or two.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also: is it just me, or has the art style largely reverted back to original with the last handful of episodes. I could just be blind, but I’m not noticing many thick lines anymore.

Didn't the manga have kaidou speeblitz luffy, not wait for him, manga's scene was also not done well, was hoping for this to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Also: is it just me, or has the art style largely reverted back to original with the last handful of episodes. I could just be blind, but I’m not noticing many thick lines anymore.
    No, the line filter is still there and the compositing hasn't reverted back. You're just getting used to it (me as well) and the difference isn't as much "in your face" as it was when you first saw it since every following episodes have the said filter.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    They're not always as inky-black as they were in the opening episode but the scratchy lines are still there. I imagine they're tweaked on a case by case basis.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I don't think this is all that difference from the manga. Luffy pummels Kaido for a while, but he takes no damage and then one-shots him. All they did was having Luffy land more hits. But since they did zero damage anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Kaido may not have sighed, but him awkwardly walking around, clearly drunk, and stretching was just as good IMO

Good episode, I honestly don't mind the changes to how it all went down, it's still the same result.

Kaido didn't move. The anime removed the fact that Kaido moved faster than Luffy could react. They literally nerfed Kaido speed

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

man i hate these energy effects

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    I think that TOEI wants to turn OP into DB... At least the anime
    I guess this is why I liked this episode so much. It reminds me of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon
    man i hate these energy effects
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword
    Luffy's red Kaioken aura was a bit much (and reminded me of the baffling Gear Second Whitebeard)
    Manga spoiler
    Spoiler:
    At this point I doubt this is a one time thing, but a taste of what's yet to come. And not only due to fancy liberties, but judging by the latest manga chapter where Roger and Whitebeard had their haki-flow visualized by Oda himself. Luffy's entire body is his weapon, so him looking like Kaioken Goku makes sense to me.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Spoiler:
    I thought the red aura was the Ryou he learns about later
    Last edited by Elektrik Dynomite; December 22nd, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Put that in Spoilers ELEKTRIK!!

Luffy got knocked the hell out.
    That was straight up savage.

For Kaido to be able to tank Luffy's gear 4 barrage is insane....

I know it’s a very small thing, but I preferred the physics in the manga. When Kaido knocks Luffy out, Luffy ends up behind Kaido, the force of the blow spinning him over backwards. It’s a nice change—more impactful—compared to the typical “character gets knocked yards and yards away” that we always get (and what this episode chose to rewrite the scene as).

The Bagua Shot Scene was beautiful ngl, but all this extra "anime" beating Luffy gave him made Kaido look even more like a undeafeatable monster then in the Manga. Also this Aura thing... we DB now :D

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information