+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 962: Daimyo and Vassals

Default Chapter 962: Daimyo and Vassals

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-962/chapter/19507?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1005970

Enjoy the Chapter! I'm excited to see who the hell that is on the beach at the end and whether it is a new race. I'm sure it's been discussed to death in the spoiler thread already.
    Edit: I'm dumb. It's clearly Nekomamushi and Inuarushi
    Last edited by andre; November 17th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.

Default Re: Chapter 962: Daimyo and Vassals

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Enjoy the Chapter! I'm excited to see who the hell that is on the beach at the end and whether it is a new race. I'm sure it's been discussed to death in the spoiler thread already.
    Aren't the wash-ups Neko and Inu?
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

Quote Originally Posted by krule274 View Post
    Aren't the wash-ups Neko and Inu?
    Yep. I just noticed it on reread. So obvious. I feel silly, haha. I interpreted Nekomamushi's ears as horns and thought we were getting the secret to horn folks.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Yep. I just noticed it on reread. So obvious. I feel silly, haha. I interpreted Nekomamushi's ears as horns and thought we were getting the secret to horn folks.
    No sweat, I didn't realize on first glance either, simply just by the hype. You would think that after reading nine hundred sixty two chapters of One Piece, I would lose the excitement over the stupid 'every-chapter-ends-with-an-unnecessary-cliffhanger' thing, but I never do.
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.

Mangaka Musings

One Piece
    Eiichiro Oda

To celebrate Oden’s appearance, I kept making oden while working on the pages. I put a ton of beef tendon in.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I forget who it was, but somebody last week called that it would be Kyuin instead of Lola giving the kisses. Big props for the hilarious prediction.

No one has a more eldritch backstory than Kanjuro.

Edit: Imagine if Bakkin is the one to the right on that last page.
    Last edited by Cockycent; November 17th, 2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krule274 View Post
    I forget who it was, but somebody last week called that it would be Kyuin instead of Lola giving the kisses. Big props for the hilarious prediction.
    you can give him a cookie :-)
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...22#post4016822

This whole arc has had way too much backstory on auxiliary characters. At least I'm kinda losing interest in the whole manga because of the length of this ongoing story.
    "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    This whole arc has had way too much backstory on auxiliary characters. At least I'm kinda losing interest in the whole manga because of the length of this ongoing story.
    How did you get through Skypiea? Those were totally new characters, but we've been anticipating Oden's backstory since Zou. Is it the lack of Straw Hats since the start of act 3? (thought we're about to get beard's big mom, and Kaido backstory, so I don't care at all)

There are Goblins in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    There are Goblins in Japan?
    Dunno but most of isekai/fantasy series have them and many rpg games.

I'm glad Oden died.

Quote Originally Posted by BeSPEC View Post
    I'm glad Oden died.
    Why? He is one of the most important figure in Wano & without you realize it, everyone loves Oden. Just read the part where he destroyed the Outlaw in Kuri, everyone is celebrating it. how can you hate him?

Rejoyce, for at last we're getting a cover story with a Donquixote Family member. We can put the old debate to rest forever: yes, Kuween made it out of there alive. It's One Piece, what did we exect? Glad to have all the loose ends from that crew tied up. Let us never speak of them again.

This was a short chapter but it really didn't feel like one. Every page was stuffed with detail and it got through a good amount of story and ended on a decent cliffhanger. You have to wonder if this actually was a case of Oda's time or energy levels affecting the pagecount, or if this is just all this one needed.

Oden continues to entertain and impress, although the backstories for some of the Scabbards are surprising. Kanjuro as a hair-eating monster? Ashura eating raw blood? Like a Jojo villain turned ally, they abandoned their creepy traits immediately the moment they were beaten and recruited.

The idea of an Oden logbook is neat. I wonder if it'll turn up in the present. I didn't like how abruptly it swapped from Oden's first hand account back to the normal third persion narration right near the end though. I thought it might have been a translation mistake before I flipped back to the start and saw the narration leading into the logbook. Could have used at least some kind of visual clue like a font change, I think.

And so the flashback goes on. Initially I expected it to timeskip over Oden's time with Roger and just focus on what he did in Wano, but after recent interviews, I'm not so sure of what we'll see next week. Only a couple of chapters left for volume 95, so there should be a big development or reveal coming in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BeSPEC View Post
    I'm glad Oden died.
    Me too. If he was still alive he might have taken over main character position. I think even Luffy would give up his dream to follow him. He would want HIM to be the Pirate King! And Zoro would want to help make HIM #1 swordsman in the world!

Seriously, it's regrettable that Oda decided to skip Oden turning Kuri into a peaceful place all together. Kuri is ruled by a thug - off panel defeated. Kuri is still a drowning in crime - off panel reformed into paradise. We don't see Oden actually doing hard stuff so far, just see end results of separate quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Initially I expected it to timeskip over Oden's time with Roger and just focus on what he did in Wano, but after recent interviews, I'm not so sure of what we'll see next week.
    Next chapter will obviously be centered around Neku and Inu and probably about the decision to leave the island; and then finally we can get off Wano to somewhere more interesting.

But as this flashback is supposedly about Odens downfall and the rise of Orochi, I doubt that we will spend much time on Roger/WB crews. And that doesnt even account for the need to introduce Kaidou as the Big Bad [I guess we will get a seperate flashback about him sometime later]

So yeah, four chapters just on him gathering his retainers and forcing it down our throats just how super-awesome Oden is, is way too much.

Kanjuro cutting people hair is a fun one.

I am really hoping the flashback focus on building Oden and not on doing world building.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_fire View Post
    Next chapter will obviously be centered around Neku and Inu and probably about the decision to leave the island; and then finally we can get off Wano to somewhere more interesting.

But as this flashback is supposedly about Odens downfall and the rise of Orochi, I doubt that we will spend much time on Roger/WB crews. And that doesnt even account for the need to introduce Kaidou as the Big Bad [I guess we will get a seperate flashback about him sometime later]

So yeah, four chapters just on him gathering his retainers and forcing it down our throats just how super-awesome Oden is, is way too much.
    The thing is there's a lot of Wano lore that needs flashbacks to explain. Orochi's rise and Oden's downfall is one, the shared past of Kaido and Big Mom is another. And I'd say there's decent odds of some information about Toki and her (presumably long, storied) history to through as well. A few weeks ago I might have guessed we'd gloss over the Roger/Whitebeard stuff and come back to it in a dedicated Roger Pirates flashback later, but recent interviews hinting we'll know more about the One Piece and that the end will be in sight after Wano makes it apparent we're going to get a lot of history before we're through here.

If the flashback had started sooner I would have said we'd be getting it in a few pieces like the Dressrosa flashbacks, but since we're not starting til Act 3...

I can see us getting mainly Oden in Wano and a few hints at the Roger era now, maybe Kaido and Big Mom in Act 4, and Toki as part of the post-arc lore dump in Act 5 maybe.

You know considering both Whitebeard and Oden have a fondness for bitchslapping people into loving them them. I would really like if Oden like Whitebeard because he's the first person to manage bitchslapping him. And Whitebeard fell in love because he met someone that understood the beauty of bitchslapping people.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information