+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 961: The Mountain God Incident

Default Re: Chapter 961: The Mountain God Incident

The poor boar just wanted to rescue her offspring.

Kind of a bummer when you think about it.

She's the true Flashback Martyr.

So, Zoro was raised in an enviroment, where anti-authoritarian three-sword-style left Ex-Wanokunians to cry of joy in secret.
    Last edited by Wintermute; November 1st, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Seeing how Oden was easily misinterpreted actions, I wonder if when Yasuie said to Zoro "You're just worried about my throat", it was because of the way Oden was.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

After fighting a monstrous boar and being exiled from his hometown, Kozuki Oden must travel across the land to find a cure for his curse and see with eyes unclouded by hate... wait no, wrong story, that's not right. Pack it up.

Denjiro is easily the most intriguing character of the flashback so far. There are plenty ideas of who he could be in the present floating around, but I can't see anything concretely connecting him to anyone we've seen. I think it's likely he could be the Witching Hour Boy or someone else we haven't seen the face of yet, and his prominence so early in the flashback will allow him to catch up to the rest of the Scabbards in characterisation, given he's been introduced so late. And it'll surely be a relevant part of the story to come when Oda explains why he's been in hiding for so long.

I wonder what colour young Kinemon's hair is gonna turn out to be, just as a thought. Given what we've seen of Wano so far it could be basically any colour, a real wildcard. Did his hair turn black as he got older, or did he dye it after coming to the future to keep make the ruse of being Momo's father more believable?

I feel a little bad for the Mountain God here. It was just trying to protect its (very cute) baby, and that horizontal bisection feels like an absolutely brutal way to die. (The use of a ladder to get people out of its belly in the background of the next page is great attention to detail though.) Oden really doesn't hold anything back, does he? Him taking the blame for Kinemon's actions was interesting. Not sure whether to read it as a mercy, as he has clout to spare and can take the heat when Kin might not be able to, or just another way to get all the attention and stir up trouble. Probably a little of both.

And then Orochi is introduced. Hard to say if his life has actually been as rough as his grubby appearance would suggest or if he's just a sycophant sucking up to power in hopes of stealing some even this early. I think the latter. He stands in stark contrast to Oden. Oden acts brash and obnoxious, but ultimately stands tall and walks free and powerful, mildly shunned but secretly admired, while Orochi goes out of his way to be useful and cooperative, but ends up rolling in the dirt, being confined to servitude, and is instantly mistrusted. It's absolutely tragic to know he's going to come out ahead by the end of the flashback.

With only two chapters likely left for volume 95, Oda's going to have to pick up the pace to find a big development to end it on. I don't think we're going to get two more chapters of individual Scabbard intros, things are going to start to accelerate towards Oden's time as a pirate starting from the next chapter.

Woah, Oden is a lot harsher to Orochi in the Viz version.

"Get rid of that one uncle, he's a little creep".

What a jerk!

Am I the only one who thinks denjiro looks kind of like a kid version of Zoro's teacher? I'm not saying he is, just that he looks that way

Also googled what a gatebox is.

And I thought Alexa was creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks denjiro looks kind of like a kid version of Zoro's teacher? I'm not saying he is, just that he looks that way
    Many people have commented the same thing. I don't agree with the theory myself.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

I liked this chapter slightly better than the last, mainly because Oden is not cooking food off corpses anymore. I also like Orochi's origins. He always seemed out of place; his crown looks like is almost made of paper.
    I still don't give a damn about Oden, but like.. we'll see where this goes. RIP innocent boar father looking for his child.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

I'm starting to get legitimately worried for the japanese people. This "loneliness epidemic" is no joke, huh? Free e-waifus for everyone, Mr. Abe, PLEASE!

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

What a jerk!
    He could sense the inner evil.

What a jerk!
    Well, he stated the fact. The way Orochi was trying to buttering up was quite creepy.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    He could sense the inner evil.
    No no no, you gotta say it like; At age 18, Kozuki Oden awekened the ability to smell the scent of evil-doers.

I wonder whether Yusuei had other children. 41 years ago he looked like in his early 30's.Toko is just a small girl of age 8-9 years. May be Toko is not his biological child, rather adopted as an orphan.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

He had to slay the boar to save all the poeple inside him. He was not really innocent.

I'm looking forward to learning more of Orochi.

Hey. It's that one thing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/28/h...ntl/index.html

Ewww...Creepy doesn't even begin to describe that thing (re: Gatebox).

Also it didn't strike me before, but since Papa/Mama Boar died in the flashback...Doesn't this make White Piglet Wano's first serious Nakama candidate ? Tragic past, certain to stand out among the somewhat bland Wano cast, beats Chopper by a good length as emergency food, brings onboard its unique and efficient approach to waste disposal, probably dreams of eating all the trash in the world (the fabled All Rot continent). Not even the Sunny's doors are going to be a problem, since they'll have to be refitted for Jinbei anyway. Come on Oda, Pig God for nakama !
    Last edited by Seafarer33; November 2nd, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Also it didn't strike me before, but since Papa/Mama Boar died in the flashback...Doesn't this make White Piglet Wano's first serious Nakama candidate ?
    I doubt he's still alive. A real life boar has a life expectancy somewhere from five to ten years. Let it be 20-30 One Piece years. If he didn't die under natural circumstances, someone probably ate him.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information