+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

  1. #1

    Default 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Something something Tama drinking game.

    Title: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 917
    Episode Director: Tasuku Shimaya (***)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Shimanuki (**)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  2. #2

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    One Piece Episode 906 Preview (15s)




    Luffy vs Holdem - Episode 905


  3. #3

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Oh fuck yes, Takashi Kojima is back!
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  4. #4

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    FINALLY A HIGH QUALITY EPISODE AGAIN! And I love that Luffy got PISSED at Holdem for pinching her cheek with that thing! That was lower than low and the finisher looked awesome!

  5. #5

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Takashi Kojima made the episode 10/10. Just that scene...��

  6. #6
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    FINALLY A HIGH QUALITY EPISODE AGAIN! And I love that Luffy got PISSED at Holdem for pinching her cheek with that thing! That was lower than low and the finisher looked awesome!
    They're called pliers, mon captain.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    While it had some lingering moments and one flashback this episode was considerably better paced then how the last two weeks have been,
    animation wise the best part was certainly Luffy's red hawk, but I also enjoyed Zoro and Kiku's arrow blocks and another cool moment with him (not) saving her.

    I am hoping that other then minor corrections they're done with the Romance Dawn special so that we can get more episodes like this one and the beginning of Wano,
    the one week break will also probably help.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    It was a solid enough episode.

    First half wasn't the greatest thing ever(since very little happened), but what was there was done competently enough.

    Second half had Tu Yong Ce and Takashi Kojima's bits of action, which were quite nice. Especially the red hawk, which they did so much justice to.

    I liked how they expanded on Okiku's presence here. In the manga, aside from here cutting down a few guys blandly, we are just told more than shown that she is really strong. This episode having her perform some superhuman feats alongside Zoro(who was an absolute monster this episode, like, literally his every slash killed like 10 guys), such as blocking arrows rapidly and speed blitzing Speed, actually sold her to me really effectively as actually being worthy all that praise Luffy and Zoro give her.

    So yeah, fairly okay episodes, with some really nice action highlights here and there that elevate it. Anime is still producing those screen shot worthy shots every episode(this time around Jack), and Kojima's scene was the nuttiest thing ever.

    Next episode also looks good. Looking forward to seeing how they'll expand on the Law/Hawkins fight. Looks like they'll be expanding the choreography of Hawkins sword play. Judging by the preview, I think Tu Yong Ce is also on next week.

    BTW; Speed has haki arrows this episode. Don't really think that's particularly controversial. She's a distinguished officer in an emperors crew, and even people who weren't members of the Kuja pirates on the island of women could use haki arrows.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    If it weren't for the ending, this would've been an average at best episode!

    This episode marks Takahiro Imamura's return to the series who provided the storyboard for this week's episode. Usually he's pretty hit or miss, but I gotta say that we got the good side of him for this episode. Lot's of intersting angles, canted camera angles, fisheye perspective and really nice compositing cues.

    Some of the directionnaly interesting choices were also likely due to Tasuku Shimaya and he seems to be a promising episode director so far. However he's still very new to the episode director role, it's just his 2nd episode as one and therefore I can't make any definitive statements when it comes to his abillities as an episode director.

    Although this episode still had some pretty noticeable pacing issues, the animation saved it from being like the last few episodes.

    I was very surprised to see Takumi Yamamoto, one of Toei's top rising talents, pop up on the key animation list this week. however his scene was nothing stand out at all, just something minor. But I hope this is a sign that we're gonna see him for more important episodes in the future, I'm crossing my fingers.

    Tu Yong-ce was also on this episode, it's not the best thing we've got from him but it was nice nonetheless.

    But, omg, by far, the best animated scene of this episode was the red hawk against Holdem animated by the glorious glorious Takashi Kojima, who returned on this episode to deliver us this awesomeness.

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/103132

    This scene was absolutely fucking stellar! The facial expressions oh my days! It was way better than what it deserved to be and it's definitely one of the best looking red hawks of the entire series!

    Takashi Kojima was also the man behind the red hawk scene in One Piece 3D2Y:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/21767

    His latest contribution to the OP anime was in episode 892, where Zoro was slicing up all the magistrate people with the Seppuku knife and I'd be so blessed if he becomes a semi-regular on the anime.

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/81967
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; October 6th, 2019 at 12:47 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  10. #10

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Goes to show you what a good director can do with little content. This episode had decent pacing entirely because of the direction. So much of pacing comes down to the rhythm of the cuts; this episode easily could have been a boring Holdem monologue, but the director kept it interesting.

    And obviously that last minute was stunning. I especially liked the very quick image of Ace as Otama watches Luffy embody him, and Otama’s eyes turning to water the second she remembers Ace. Really beautiful. I was also in love with the new (?) OST during that scene.

    Two funny bits of critique:
    1) zoro’s DK ground pound attack cracks me up, and they used the same animation for it at least twice.
    2) Luffy and Zoro cracked their necks more than I ever thought possible; they almost made a song out of it

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    If it weren't for the ending, this would've been an average at best episode!

    This episode marks Takahiro Imamura's return to the series who provided the storyboard for this week's episode. Usually he's pretty hit or miss, but I gotta say that we got the good side of him for this episode. Lot's of intersting angles, canted camera angles, fisheye perspective and really nice compositing cues.

    Some of the directionnaly interesting choices were also likely due to Tasuku Shimaya and he seems to be a promising episode director so far. However he's still very new to the episode director role, it's just his 2nd episode as one and therefore I can't make any definitive statements when it comes to his abillities as an episode director.

    Although this episode still had some pretty noticeable pacing issues, the animation saved it from being like the last few episodes.

    I was very surprised to see Takumi Yamamoto, one of Toei's top rising talents, pop up on the key animation list this week. however his scene was nothing stand out at all, just something minor. But I hope this is a sign that we're gonna see him for more important episodes in the future, I'm crossing my fingers.

    Tu Yong-ce was also on this episode, it's not the best thing we've got from him but it was nice nonetheless.

    But, omg, by far, the best animated scene of this episode was the red hawk against Holdem animated by the glorious glorious Takashi Kojima, who returned on this episode to deliver us this awesomeness.

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/103132

    This scene was absolutely fucking stellar! The facial expressions oh my days! It was way better than what it deserved to be and it's definitely one of the best looking red hawks of the entire series!

    Takashi Kojima was also the man behind the red hawk scene in One Piece 3D2Y:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/21767

    His latest contribution to the OP anime was in episode 892, where Zoro was slicing up all the magistrate people with the Seppuku knife and I'd be so blessed if he becomes a semi-regular on the anime.

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/81967
    Could you explain two things to me, if you have the time?
    1) what is a “compositing cue”?
    2) how do you know exactly what scene was handled by what animator?

  11. #11

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

  12. #12

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Could you explain two things to me, if you have the time?
    1) what is a “compositing cue”?
    2) how do you know exactly what scene was handled by what animator?
    Oh how nice that our rambling about the anime production isn't falling under deaf ears.

    Well starting with compositing, when I refer to compositing, I'm talking about digital effects applied to finished drawings on computer during the post-processing phase by using adobe after effects (or whatever program the photography department's using). For example color tints, a glow effect on something bright, the texture of an aura etc. Good compositing can definitely enhance certain scenes quite a lot and usually the episode director gives instructions, alongside the supervising director of photography, to the photography team on how, where and when to apply different effects.

    Now when it comes to identifying animators and different drawing styles, it takes way more time. Well first of all, the episodes credits is gonna become your best friend because all of the informatoin about the staff involved on an episode is in there. It gives you the names of the key animators, animation supervisors, episode directors (and so on) who worked on an episode.

    Now that you have this information, you have to associate the scenes of an episode to them. Every animator has their own style, their own timing and effects. Sometimes you have to wait multiple episodes for the same name to show up and then for example compare certain scenes on their latest episode with certain scenes on previous episodes they worked on in order to find some similarities.

    Luckily, some animators are highly idiosyncratic, which means that they have an art style, timing and effects which make them stand out from the rest of the animators. Perfect examples would be Naotoshi Shida and his unique shading placement and wobbly movement:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/36658

    Yoshikazu Tomita and his very mech, robot-like timing and use of pitch black shading:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/50579

    Katsumi Ishizuka and his uniquely dinamic timing, intense impact and very unique linework:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/58986

    However there are some animators that are less idiosyncratic and you may need to have a more trained eye for it. Some animators confirm their scenes on social media therefore it's easier to associate their style with their work on future episodes.

    It's a lot of guessing and and being wrong a lot of times, I have been studying the anime production for more than 3 years now, therefore it's not something you develop out of the blue. It definitely takes a lot of time until you're capable of discerning multiple animators from one another.

    Crossword's been doing this for way longer than me btw.

    If you wanna know more, I suggest you watching this video below:

    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  13. #13

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    The first portion of this episode was more of the same of what we've been getting the past two weeks or so, literally since much of it was comprised of reused footage from last week. Second half was a bit of an improvement but nothing spectacular...until Kojima appeared to steal the show in spectacular fashion. That Red Hawk was just utterly phenominal; one of the most jaw-dropping sequences of animation we've seen in the show. Nice of the anime to show us that the "trick" to Holdem's katana is that it's actually a whip sword. Also, all those Umakoshi-inspired crazy fisheyes we've been getting are giving me life.

    Don't like the aura effect that they're now applying to Armament Haki though since it tends to badly obscure the actual artwork underneath it. Didn't care for it during Dragon Ball Super and I still don't care for it now.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  14. #14

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    The first portion of this episode was more of the same of what we've been getting the past two weeks or so, literally since much of it was comprised of reused footage from last week. Second half was a bit of an improvement but nothing spectacular...until Kojima appeared to steal the show in spectacular fashion. That Red Hawk was just utterly phenominal; one of the most jaw-dropping sequences of animation we've seen in the show. Nice of the anime to show us that the "trick" to Holdem's katana is that it's actually a whip sword. Also, all those Umakoshi-inspired crazy fisheyes we've been getting are giving me life.

    Don't like the aura effect that they're now applying to Armament Haki though since it tends to badly obscure the actual artwork underneath it. Didn't care for it during Dragon Ball Super and I still don't care for it now.
    Agree about the auras, I think the most notable use of the aura was around the straw man in 899. Thankfully it’s not used quite as abundantly as in DBS, and often fades away. Noticed in the straw man episode that the aura wasn’t always in sync with the animation, like for example, Tsuyuki’s scene.

  15. #15

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Second half of the episode was good.
    First half just more dragging it out...

  16. #16

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Aside from the Red Hawk, I thought all the Kiku filler was excellent.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    One Piece Episode 906 Preview (30s)


  18. #18

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Oh how nice that our rambling about the anime production isn't falling under deaf ears.

    Well starting with compositing, when I refer to compositing, I'm talking about digital effects applied to finished drawings on computer during the post-processing phase by using adobe after effects (or whatever program the photography department's using). For example color tints, a glow effect on something bright, the texture of an aura etc. Good compositing can definitely enhance certain scenes quite a lot and usually the episode director gives instructions, alongside the supervising director of photography, to the photography team on how, where and when to apply different effects.

    Now when it comes to identifying animators and different drawing styles, it takes way more time. Well first of all, the episodes credits is gonna become your best friend because all of the informatoin about the staff involved on an episode is in there. It gives you the names of the key animators, animation supervisors, episode directors (and so on) who worked on an episode.

    Now that you have this information, you have to associate the scenes of an episode to them. Every animator has their own style, their own timing and effects. Sometimes you have to wait multiple episodes for the same name to show up and then for example compare certain scenes on their latest episode with certain scenes on previous episodes they worked on in order to find some similarities.

    Luckily, some animators are highly idiosyncratic, which means that they have an art style, timing and effects which make them stand out from the rest of the animators. Perfect examples would be Naotoshi Shida and his unique shading placement and wobbly movement:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/36658

    Yoshikazu Tomita and his very mech, robot-like timing and use of pitch black shading:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/50579

    Katsumi Ishizuka and his uniquely dinamic timing, intense impact and very unique linework:

    https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/58986

    However there are some animators that are less idiosyncratic and you may need to have a more trained eye for it. Some animators confirm their scenes on social media therefore it's easier to associate their style with their work on future episodes.

    It's a lot of guessing and and being wrong a lot of times, I have been studying the anime production for more than 3 years now, therefore it's not something you develop out of the blue. It definitely takes a lot of time until you're capable of discerning multiple animators from one another.

    Crossword's been doing this for way longer than me btw.

    If you wanna know more, I suggest you watching this video below:

    To me, Shida is fat and away the best of three, but I tend to value art over animation anyways.

    Thanks for explaining! I watched the video and it all sounds like rough guesswork to me, only with doing for the really great moments (Holdem’s KO this week, as an example). Outside of what I pick up from watching Skippy every week, I’ll pass on delving into this stuff. Rather spend my time knee-deep in foreign film directors, rather than animators.

    When it comes to composting, is it always 100% apparent what effects were placed digitally? It seems to me like some effects would need to be drawn.

    Another, somewhat related, question: one animator will have how many episodes between their episodes? Will the same guy who worked on 905 work on 906, or do they usually space it out so we won’t see the 905 guy again until 910? I understand that it fluctuates, but I’m curious of the general trend. I’m asking because I’m curious if the same folks who worked on the first five episodes of Wano have returned yet. I remember the story boarding in particular being really stunning those first few episodes.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Man, I didn’t mind this part of the arc so much in the manga, but I wouldn’t blame anime-only watchers for hating this arc so far. We’ve got about two months until it gets great.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    To me, Shida is fat and away the best of three, but I tend to value art over animation anyways.

    Thanks for explaining! I watched the video and it all sounds like rough guesswork to me, only with doing for the really great moments (Holdem’s KO this week, as an example). Outside of what I pick up from watching Skippy every week, I’ll pass on delving into this stuff. Rather spend my time knee-deep in foreign film directors, rather than animators.

    When it comes to composting, is it always 100% apparent what effects were placed digitally? It seems to me like some effects would need to be drawn.

    Another, somewhat related, question: one animator will have how many episodes between their episodes? Will the same guy who worked on 905 work on 906, or do they usually space it out so we won’t see the 905 guy again until 910? I understand that it fluctuates, but I’m curious of the general trend. I’m asking because I’m curious if the same folks who worked on the first five episodes of Wano have returned yet. I remember the story boarding in particular being really stunning those first few episodes.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Man, I didn’t mind this part of the arc so much in the manga, but I wouldn’t blame anime-only watchers for hating this arc so far. We’ve got about two months until it gets great.
    Shida starts to become formulatic the more you watch him, but nonetheless he's still one of the bests at Toei, no doubt about it.

    When it comes to which effects are digital or which are hand drawn, it's actually pretty easy to differentiate. The baseline of an effect, like let's say a flame, is hand drawn, but then to add some extra glow to it they slap some digital effects on it.

    When it comes to you second question, an average animator usually has 6 weeks time in between their episode. Though it's unusual, there are some cases where certain animators tackle multiple episodes in a row, mostly when the schedule is tight. The best example is young action animator by the name of Tu Yong-ce, who lately participated on episodes 897, 898 and 899. Animators who take on multiple episodes in a row are usually incredibly fast animators, something which is hugely beneficial for a tight and punishing weekly schedule like the one One Piece has.

    Last but not least, we do not have predefined teams. Each episode director, each animation supervisors and each key animators are scheduled for whatever episode they're assigned to. Episode directors have different animators under them each episode and animators have a different episode directors each episode they're appointed to and so on.
    The reason why the first couple of Wano episodes were so good is because they were handled by the best episode directors we have right now, which also happen to be our series directors. An episode director is in charge of the storyboarding and direction of an episode, aka the way certain scenes in the manga are represented in an episode. Whereas a series director is in charge of overseeing the entire production and are the final creative decision makers during a production process. The job of an episode director and series directors are 2 different animals though.

    The skill of an episode director greatly determines how an episode is gonna turn out. For example, certain episode directors happen to take advantage of the compositing more than others in order to enhance some scenes, some have a better pacing control and some are great at creating dynamic storyboards, therefore I'd keep an eye on them. Right now some of our best episode directors happen to be Aya Komaki, Tatsuya Nagamine, Kouhei Kureta, Satoshi Ito and Yasunori Koyama. The first 3 also being our series directors. Tatsuya Nagamine, our main series director, is known to correct storyboards and enhance them, which brings even more consistency than ever, thus allowing storyboards from weaker directors to be better.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  20. #20

    Default Re: 905: "Saving O-Tama - A Fierce Battle Against Holdem!"

    Thanks! I’ll try to keep an eye out for those directors week-to-week. Seems like there are too many factors that go into making an episode good; it could be one with a good director and a shoddy storyboarder/animator, or vice versus. Too hard to rely on a specific director, I suppose.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts