+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

  1. #1

    Default Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    CERTAINLY not Canada, USA OR Latin America! Sure! Much talk has been had about its failure in the Americas. But lets focus on the positive here instead. I heard that One Piece's Italian version all'arrembaggio was super popular and it had 2 million people watching at one point. AND in Germany the episodes can reach a remarkable 5% share!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    France.
    One Piece has been the top selling manga there for years.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    France is the reason I still have high hopes for a Redub in Latin America. They got the show butchered and then had it redubbed.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    I heard that its big in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan Thailand, Singapore and Malasiya. Also, its getting more popular in European countries

    Film gold grossed over $10 million in china. There is a mugiwara store in Taiwan I think and Singapore (permanent). They also opened pop up shops and exhibitions for it in many of those countries.
    Last edited by MugiwaraPirate; September 3rd, 2019 at 11:55 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    I heard that its big in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan Thailand, Singapore and Malasiya. Also, its getting more popular in European countries

    Film gold grossed over $10 million in china. There is a mugiwara store in Taiwan I think and Singapore (permanent). They also opened pop up shops and exhibitions for it in many of those countries.
    Yup, I think its quite big in S. Korea, Philippines and Indonesia too.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Yup, I think its quite big in S. Korea, Philippines and Indonesia too.
    Yeah you're right. I forgot about those countries, Especially S.Korea. They have a One Piece cafe/shop. My friend went there last summer

    I think France is embracing One Piece the most out of European countries. Stampede has limited release in France, but when they announced the date, most of the shows were selling out quick, and they added more theaters in response to the overwhelming demand.
    source: https://www.facebook.com/les.edition...type=3&theater
    Last edited by MugiwaraPirate; September 4th, 2019 at 02:55 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    Yeah you're right. I forgot about those countries, Especially S.Korea. They have a One Piece cafe/shop. My friend went there last summer

    I think France is embracing One Piece the most out of European countries. Stampede has limited release in France, but when they announced the date, most of the shows were selling out quick, and they added more theaters in response to the overwhelming demand.
    source: https://www.facebook.com/les.edition...type=3&theater
    Yeah, ive been to a one piece themed restaurant in Seoul too!
    In general manga/anime seems more popular in southern europe, so i guess its big in spain, italy and greece too.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I heard that One Piece's Italian version all'arrembaggio was super popular and it had 2 million people watching at one point.
    I don't know about the number of viewers but yeah, it was on the afternoon kids' TV back in the early 2000s when there was a limited choice in terms of TV channels, so basically every Italian kid would watch it after school. I have memories of 8-year-old me rushing home from the beach in summer to watch the Skypiea arc. The dub was (and still is) very good and besides a few name changes it was pretty faithful to the original. Reruns of the Impel Down arc are currently airing daily on a secondary TV channel.

    In terms of its popularity as a manga series (so not just as a "kids cartoon") One Piece is sometimes outsold by the titles of the moment like Dr Stone or Attack on Titan but is always in the top 3. And it definitely has the biggest and most constant fanbase.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    This is the anime section. I put this here specifically for talk about the reception of the anime. Sure the manga may or may not sell, but seeing as its documented that it sells very well wherever it goes its kind of uninteresting to me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    Norway, because I am the biggest One Piece fan.

  11. #11
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    France for Europe as far as I know.

    China is rising which is very good and I hope at some day maybe US will realize how superiour it is compared to the likes as Naruto

  12. #12
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: Which country (Outside of Japan) embraced One Piece the most?

    For the US, it probably doesn't help that OP was without a good dub for so long (and there haven't been new episodes of the current dub for quite a while at this point). Naruto was the first manga series I got into, but I started with the anime due to just happening to see that on TV one day (very early on, like Chunin Exams) and sticking with it. With OP...let's just say I'm glad I didn't see that on TV from 4Kids and get the wrong impression like I guess some potential American fans did.
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts