+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 900: "The Best Day Ever - O-Tama's First Oshiruko"

Default 900: "The Best Day Ever - O-Tama's First Oshiruko"

Dananananananana nananananananana, Man-Bat!

...wait.

Title: "The Best Day Ever - O-Tama's First Oshiruko"
    Chapters Covered: 914
    Episode Director: Tasuku Shimaya (new)
    Animation Director: Kenji Yokoyama (***)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    Last edited by Crossword; August 31st, 2019 at 09:59 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 900: "The Best Day Ever - O-Tama's First Oshiruko"

Spoiler:
    They should have called it: The Best Day Ever - O-Tama gets kidnapped twice and finds out her hero is dead.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; August 31st, 2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spoiler

One Piece Episode 901 Preview

Luffy & Zoro vs Gifter Batman - Episode 900

Did they give Batman the ability to redirect his arrows mid flight? Was that ever in the manga?

I really enjoyed this episode. The calmness of them just chilling in Okobore Town spoke to me in a way that it wasn't able to in the manga. And Tama continues to be 1000x cuter in the anime, her VA's perfect.

And the part with Batman attacking and Zoro deflecting actually felt pretty tense despite him being just a mere SMILE user, was very clever of them to let us see Batman slowly prepare his attack as Tsuru was talking.

Landmark episode baby, 900 fucking episodes. Isn't that insane?

It was an alright episode.

This marks the debut for Tasuku Shimaya as an episode director and first impressions from him him, hmmm, he did a decent job for a start. Well having a storyboard from Aya Komaki as a support does help.

There were some really nice bits with O-Tama refusing to eat the O-Shiruko, really liked how it was executed.

Though there were also some not so good bits in this episode. Even though there were some neat bits of animation, mainly from Yoichi Mitsui, during the fight scene, it was definitely the weakest aspect of the episode. There were some moments that shouldn't have been extended for me, Zoro blocking the arrow from hitting O-Tsuru for example. But what really dragged it down for me were the too many repeated frames. If it weren't for that, the fight sequence with Bat-Man would've been solid.

This week's episode had a couple of reused shots from past episodes. There were also many really slow paced bits, but I can forgive it since it's Shimaya's only first time directing an episode and as a beginner I can understand having trouble to maintain pacing control, especially considering the lack of content that's being adapted per episode.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

This episode is making batman look like hawkeye lol, I dont mind tho, theres lots of stuff they can fluff out, and itll make the experience different from the manga.

Thought it was decent. Wasnt bad. I missed Zoro's theme song. Love it.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    Did they give Batman the ability to redirect his arrows mid flight? Was that ever in the manga?
    It's just filler to add suspense. He didn't fire anywhere that many arrows in the manga.

boring episode./ They really dragged this out....
    Dissapointing for episode 900

About episode 900, the episode was overall, pretty good.

Although the series director storyboarded this episode, this was actually someone's episode directorial debut, just generally, and they did a pretty solid job. The humour I felt was really well done, and they did a good job with making the episode visually interesting aesthetically, even in scenes that were more poorly paced(in the second half). The background art has also been a joy to look at generally thus far.

Animation wise, there was a surprisingly good amount of character acting animation in the episode that is a bit uncharacteristic of One Piece. The first half in particular had a lot of really nice stuff in that sense. The second half less so, although Yoichi Mitsui handled a nice bit of action, I really didn't care for some of the repeated angles they kept on cycling through with Zoro blocking the arrows, so I felt that dragged the episode down a bit.

Overall, still, a pretty damn solid episode.

Next episode looks interesting as well, with Masahiro Kitazaki(historically one of the stronger animation supervisors) making his debut as an animation supervisor on Wano, and Satoshi Ito taking the directorial reins again. Should be fun.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information